Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Rose D'Arabie and Oud Royal by Armani/Prive

Armani / Prive will be releasing three new fragrances in a collection called '1,001 Nights' and information on two of three have been released, named Rose d'Arabie and Oud Royal.

According to Marigay McKee, Fashion and Beauty Director at Harrods, Rose d'Arabie is the "most romantic" one of the three new scents... She further writes, "It's a sensual, rosebud-based scent that deliciously captures the essence of the Golden Age of Islam. Sensuality prevails."

More info on The Scented Salamander here.

Sort of late jumping on the oud bandwagon, no?

Default Re: Rose D'Arabie and Oud Royal by Armani/Prive

Yawn, yawn!!!

I tried Pure Oud... ahem... Oud Royal a couple of hours ago (it's now available at Selfridges). To me, it's the same old subtle, unchallenging and demure oud that By Kilian has already released. So, once again, it'd make more sense to buy Montale's Original Aoud for less money.

As for Rose d'Arabie, I didn't spot it but was desperate to get away from the SA ("Oud Royal is extremely popular amongst our Arabic clientèle..." ). However, with By Kilian naming their second oud creation Oud Rose, scepticism is setting in frighteningly quick. Bandwagon jumping so hard that it hurts...

Cheers for the news, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sort of late jumping on the oud bandwagon, no?
    Yes, it is late. But is it too late for it to be successful? I don't know, but my instincts say it is.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Yes, it is late. But is it too late for it to be successful? I don't know, but my instincts say it is.
    With the exception of the microworld known as 'basenotes', the population at large has little knowledge that this offering is coming late to the Oud game. We know this but the person that walks through a SAKS and plops down $200+ for this offering could care less. At this price point, as with Creed exclusives....and other high end offerings, your basic customer just wants exclusivity and name recognition. The sales pitch of exotic ingredients and the price seperating the customer from other less fortunate consumers will reel them in every time.

At the end of the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley (I think), Steve Jobs says to Bill Gates, you're dead, we've got a better product. Bill responds, it doesn't matter, we got ours out first and they'll never bother switching.

So, does Armani Privee have good distribution? It always seems tucked away somewhere if you ask me, while Ford and Kilian are much more prominently displayed. Either way it's still much more accessible (and I use the word loosely) then someone like Montale, even if they have a better product.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

i noted when i was in Selfridges that the Royal Oud was exclusive to them & that the plug in the thread above for the Rose d'arabie came from someone at Harrods so maybe the Rose is a Harrods exclusive since they seem to be puffing it up - i guess Harvey Nichols may end up with the 3rd in the range whatever it is since they've used up Selfridges & Harrods!!

Agree with previous comment the Royal Oud was underwhelming - i was expecting a lot more. Tom Fords Oud Wood i love & By Killian's Rose Oud i LOVE but this was just boring -\ especially at £170 - makes Tom Ford Private blends look reasonable!

I'm amazed that year or more after 'By Kilian' launched an 'Arabian nights' collection Armani launch a '1001 Nights' collection - they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery especially when you do it worse than the thing you are copying!
    Last edited by nathanthomas50; 25th July 2010 at 03:46 PM.

i think the timing is important, but at the end of the day its all about the smell! And when you sniff the Armani against the competition it really is a very pale affair - if i were in a store trying a few different oud's this one wouldnt linger in the memory for very

Oddly the ad for the Rose Arabie seems incredibly like the ads Tom Ford does for his private blends so not even any originality in the ads or the fragrance or the range name!
    Last edited by nathanthomas50; 25th July 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nathanthomas50 View Post
    ...the ad for the Rose Arabie seems incredibly like the ads Tom Ford does for his private blends so not even any originality in the ads or the fragrance or the range name!
    Oh I agree, the black/gold on the bottles, the whole art direction reeked of Tom Ford.

Wonder when these are gonna hit the States, so I can smell them myself?

The SA in both Selfridges & Harrods told me that they were world exclusives to their stores & the Selfridges SA said they would be for the forseeable future, maybe even permanently (believe that if you will!)

Having sniffed them i would say they probably won't be worth your wait! Especially at £170 for a 50ml bottle you can get better elsewhere!

Rose d'Arabie - Bang in love - going on the BUY list. The most impressive scent so far in Armani - La Collection! Any one here feel the same way?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Rose d'Arabie - Bang in love - going on the BUY list. The most impressive scent so far in Armani - La Collection! Any one here feel the same way?
    I agree that it's impressive. It's the closest thing to Tom Ford Noir de Noir that I've ever smelled - and it has some aspects that may make it superior to some noses. I find it more linear than NdN, but the linearity is centered on what I consider the sweet spot. It's like NdN that just keeps going on the good stuff. Much more transparent, yet dark.

I think that several scents in the line are good, but only Bois d'Encens thrilled me enough to buy. This one is up there for me. If I hadn't bought Noir de Noir, I would buy Rose d'Arabie instead, most definitely.

Basenotes Institution

I haven't seen these ANYWHERE in Miami. Redneck where'd you smell 'em?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I only have smelled Oud Royal and I must say it is amazing! It is very elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I only have smelled Oud Royal and I must say it is amazing! It is very elegant.
    Agree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I haven't seen these ANYWHERE in Miami. Redneck where'd you smell 'em?
    I only smelled Rose d'Arabie. It was a small spray sample that got dumped in my shopping bag on my European vacation - it was either in Arles at Marionnaud, or in Rome at Muzio.

I haven't seen the newer Armani Prive anywhere, either. I will keep my eye open at Saks for this one in particular.

I also find Rose d'Arabie interesting because the perfumer (Marie Salamagne) did Tokyo by Kenzo (a fave) and two Aqua Allegorias. She's early enough in her career that there could be more goodies coming.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    IMO, the entire Armani Prive line is late in arrival, though the bottles are a thumbs up!

And to me, with Montale already on offer at a good price, any oud scents to be newly released now have to be exceptional to be successful. Not only Armani Prive, but also TDC, which I remember someone posted here earlier.

Just tried Oud Royal today.
    I was impressed.
    It is more in line with Kilian, especially Incense oud rather than montale's or m7 or tom ford type of oud.
    Too expensive is about right.
    But good.

Where are these available? I can't even find them for sale online anyhwere.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Being a big fan of Rose d'Arabie I've just found this:

Rose D'Arabie L'Or de Desert

The limited edition L’Or du Désert is an exceptional and precious fragrance that mixes the iconic fragrance of The Thousand and One Nights Collection with true gold dust.

Last edited by Kron; 16th September 2012 at 11:55 AM.

any new opinions on these?

Which one is better Rose D'Arabie or Oud Royal. How does it compared with Portrait of a Lady (Rose D'Arabie)
    Who stocks them? I have never seen them in any of the luxury dept stores in my area ( Niemans, Barneys, or Saks)
    Hednic care to chime in
    Last edited by vinramani09; 14th April 2013 at 07:01 AM.

Having just acquired decants of both of those in recent times I would say Portrait of a lady is more refined and complex, the initial rose is a little tamed down as well. I tend to think the dry down of poal moves away from rose as the other notes come into play where as d'arabie is role through ad through.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

have the whole collection of the Armani Prive - 1001 Nights,

they are very well composed, and love it especially Oud Royal - among one of the best
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

The third one in the series is Cuir Noir.

thanks!