Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Halston Man Amber by Halston

A new release, for men and women, from Halston...flankers of the Halston Man and Halston Woman's re-releases last year. Very little information at this point, but look at that bottle...

The Scented Salamander gets the scoop!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd July 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Halston Man Amber by Halston

Something to actually look forward to!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Price: £85 for 100 ml.
    Ouch!!!!!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Halston is back in the game!!! Thanks for the info!!!
    Gary

It’s great to see that has the house is resurrected so is the fragrance line. Thanks for the info.

This sounds like a great early fall scent -

Will pass on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I assume this will be a Neiman's exclusive as well...

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Will pass on this.
    Porqoui?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Notes are listed at Now Smell This.

According to them this is available at Harrods (UK) now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Very little information at this point, but look at that bottle...
    Amber is not my sort of thing but I agree...damn! I hope they feel as good as they look.

Post Thanks / Like

Notes are listed at Now Smell This.

According to them this is available at Harrods (UK) now.
    The notes sound awesome! Can't wait to try this. Hopefully this will have a wider release than Neiman's and Bergdorf Goodman.

Post Thanks / Like

The tall bottle (Woman, if I had to guess) looks like a gold-plated Feminité du Bois!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Porqoui?
    Too funny

Post Thanks / Like

So, this is not to be confused with the new Halston Man, right?
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    So, this is not to be confused with the new Halston Man, right?
    No, totally different scents.

Post Thanks / Like

On the Neiman Marcus website - wonder if they have testers yet?

I get it from Harrods & it was my gift to all my family members, the most original oud launch this fall & for a reasonable price, i mean it does stand out from the Armani Prive' Oud & Jo Malone Oud.

They do have testers at Neiman's and I tried this and I have to say I am impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried this at NM today. Could be my next buy. Loved it and will be great for Fall. A lot better than the Silver Man and I liked its vibe better than TF Italian Cypress. Similar but not. I got a full tobacco, woods feel from it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 14th September 2010 at 12:46 AM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

wow, this sounds reeeeeeeal good.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm up for it. I'd love to see Halston have a resurgence. I'm ready to head back to the '70s anytime!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    wow, this sounds reeeeeeeal good.
    It is. I was on break and have to go back to try it again. She let me sniff the Silver Man and then we both tried Amber...she hadn't tested it..and she was like "Wow, I love that." I thought the same thing.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this today and really liked it. IMO it is one of the better recent releases - much better than things like Blew de Chanel. I get a lot of insence from it on my skin - which I like a lot.

AromiErotici

I tried this today and really liked it. IMO it is one of the better recent releases - much better than things like Blew de Chanel. I get a lot of insence from it on my skin - which I like a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it in Vegas last weekend. Halston has a winner on it hands. Its one of the better releases this year.

Cheers!
    Scents I have that are not in the database.

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain
    Mukhalat Makaki Perfume Oil by Swiss Arabian
    Man Amber by Halston
    Absolue pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Puro Intense by Nejma

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. I tried this again, as mentioned in my Niemans thread, and the drown was amber, incense and a burned firecracker smell I got a lot of in the initial sprays. I love this and Bang right now.
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing this today because of the morning cool weather and I love it!!This is a great Fall scent and probably one of the best done scents I've smelled this year. The difference on skin vs card is the amber...go figure. The amber is present much more on the skin. The initial spray was that firecracker burning paper smell mixed with a creamy amber.. Then the incense(myrrh) creeps in and overall that is what I get. Basically if you made 3 piles of burning things below your feet and the smoke was wafting up to your nose it would be burning a medium pile of burning fireworks, a small amount of amber in the middle and a thing of incense sticks last. All of it comes up at the same time in varying degrees and it is wonderful.

I know the idea of the fireworks paper smell may not make sense but when I brought it up to the SA at Nieman's she said she got the same thing. I'm guessing the Amber, Labdanum and Myrrh and woods are giving me alot of this combo. As I said in the other thread I spent 3 weeks in another part of Houston for work, close to Nieman's and the Galleria. I visited there probably 7 times. I tried everything from Creed Aventus, to Bang, to Halston Amber to Ferragamo to all the Cartiers, etc. This was hands down one of the best done scents and one card I kept coming back to. She finally broke and made a sample. I actually had the card out to purchase it but the snobs ( ) only take American Express or Niemans....damn Visa....lol
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th September 2010 at 04:02 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Hey we have two posts going on with the same subject so I copied this from the other post. Should combine them, I think.

Neiman's ace SA (Andrew) sent me a sample of Man Amber Halston along with a few others, and I've worn Man Amber twice and I am getting acquainted with it. I hope its not just my "new fragrance blush" but to me this is one fantastic fragrance. I have some very good amber fragrance in my wardrobe - but I know I will buy a bottle of Man Amber - it is very good!

NOTES - Top: geranium leaves, province thyme and bergamot; Mid: pure amber, myrrh and labdanum; Base: oud wood, cedar atlas and musk

True to its name it is a masculine scent that smells primarily of amber, but amber turned darker than I've smelled in a while. The top notes blend in and go away on me, but a very noticeable smoke woods note drifts all through and around the red cedar/oud woods that elevates off the surface. The woods have impressive "hang time" all around the amber. It may be clever use of synthetics here that causes the liveliness of cedar and smoke but the combination of the sprightly woods with the low and slow amber is brilliant. The woods are a combination of oud + atlas cedar which yields that old fashioned red cedar closet type of cedar made with freshly split wood.

You can tell I like this one quite a bit. This is my favorite of the recent release of very nice wood + amber/vanilla fragrances that includes Givenchy Play Intense and D&G the One Gentleman. Halston Man Amber!

Wonderful scent that is not LOUD like a lot of "Amber" scents can be - the oud really stands out in this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    True to its name it is a masculine scent that smells primarily of amber, but amber turned darker than I've smelled in a while. The top notes blend in and go away on me, but a very noticeable smoke woods note drifts all through and around the red cedar/oud woods that elevates off the surface. The woods have impressive "hang time" all around the amber. It may be clever use of synthetics here that causes the liveliness of cedar and smoke but the combination of the sprightly woods with the low and slow amber is brilliant. The woods are a combination of oud + atlas cedar which yields that old fashioned red cedar closet type of cedar made with freshly split wood.
    Excellent description. I revisited Amber Man as a result of this thread and have to agree it just may be the best masculine amber scent out there. I really appreciate the way the sweetness is turned down a few notches, allowing the wood notes to mingle.

Next to l'ombre fauve, this is another 'go to' of this genre.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought this blind from a fellow basenoter. Don't walk, RUN to go try this stuff. I get a beautiful dry and non-sweet amber/oud drydown on my skin. This stuff smells niche.
    Last edited by acjigga; 22nd October 2010 at 10:14 PM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears"

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES
    Neil Morris Takashimaya, Xerjoff Nio & 1861, Creed Green Irish Tweed & Aventus, Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (vintage), Tommy Hilfiger Athletics, Terre d'Hermes parfum, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois parfum, Opus Oils Mother EDP, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Slumberhouse Jeke, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud & Xerjoff Gao

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it's blind buy time... My birthday is coming up anyway...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

How much is this (price)?

How much is this (price)?
    $65 for the 2.5 and $90 for the 4.2. I've only seen this (and bought it) at Neiman's so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking for this at Bergdorf Goodman, but they didn't have it. I guess they only sell it online.

Ughhh...I know I saw that bottle at Neiman's the last time I was there, but didn't try it. I didn't try Halston Man and John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Edition, and I was at both Neiman's/Macy's recently...Just didn't know about them.

I will have to try this soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anybody share their sillage and longevity with this please? I wore it the other night and swear it was gone after a few hours. Beautiful scent but need help here. Thanks.

I have had no problems with longivity the sillage is very under control and is not anything like a Luten Amber Sultan. I can still detect it on my clothes days later. If you are looking for a deep sillage trail this is not the scent for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Can anybody share their sillage and longevity with this please? I wore it the other night and swear it was gone after a few hours. Beautiful scent but need help here. Thanks.
    Sillage wise it was decent. Longevity was off the charts. I smelled a strong amount of this on the top of my wrist the next day.
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Sillage wise it was decent. Longevity was off the charts. I smelled a strong amount of this on the top of my wrist the next day.
    Maybe I under applied. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Halston Man Amber by Halston

I just received this today...I like it but it does have a slight off-putting hairspray aroma once sprayed which is somewhat detectable throughout; the hairspray aroma does mellow into the creamy Oud/Agarwood which this fragrance is built around. I love any fragrance with Oud/Agarwood in it and I love this one as well. I tested it on the back of my hand and it is growing on me by the minute...I am really loving this one!

Halston Man Amber is more of a creamy wood rather than a dry, ashy wood. I would guess it's the amber and musk components, possibly white musk because it is not strong or animalic.

I would suggest giving this a try...the 2.5 oz. is not a bad price compared to the larger size which is ridiculous.

Personally, I would give this a try [obviously because I have it now...lol.]

I highly recommend it!

Post Thanks / Like

Tried this today and it's rather good. I get more oud than amber and it sort of reminds me of a smoother Tom Ford Oud Wood. Wonder why Halston is limited the distribution on this as it's been at Nieman's and nowhere else. They trying to go niche? Maybe Jeff Gordon can put his mug on the box for this one too The gold bottle is ace BTW.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

So, Amber Man is THAT good AND better than its predecessor, Halston Man? There is hope.

(Is it available in Canada yet?)

Post Thanks / Like

So, Amber Man is THAT good AND better than its predecessor, Halston Man? Yes sir it is.

(Is it available in Canada yet?) Tried Holt Renfrew ? ? ?
    . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning gentlemen,

Where is this to be found at the US retailers? Only Neiman Marcus? I don't believe it's here in Canada, yet.

***Just called Holts...not carrying it. They must have been thinking that I wanted the stuff from 1986!
    Last edited by graffham; 14th December 2010 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning gentlemen,

Where is this to be found at the US retailers? Only Neiman Marcus? I don't believe it's here in Canada, yet.

***Just called Holts...not carrying it. They must have been thinking that I wanted the stuff from 1986!

From what I understand, Graffham, the only US retailers to stock it at this point are Nieman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman, which I believe are related to each other.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 27th December 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    From what I understand, Graffham, the only US retailers to stock it at this point are Nieman Marcus and Bergdorg Goodman, which I believe are related to each other.
    Thanks Mike. I wonder if it's in the EU duty free zone?

Wondering where the hype on this one started. Dropped by Neimans to try this and they didn't have it out for display.. needed to pull it from a box. I thought it was ok but somewhat generic smelling.

Tried this out today for myfirst time. It's been on my arm for roughly 2 hours and its very smooth type of scent, i am a noob so can't explain the notes or pick them out, but i like it so far. I do detect a pepper of some sorts in there that stands out a bit..well at least to my noob nose it smells like pepper

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been wanting to try this one. It's not too sweet, is it?
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting scent.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one. If I press my nose to the application spot, I get more wood. If I get a whiff of the sillage, I get mostly amber. I remember when Marc Jacob's Bang came out and many people felt like the scent was like an extra layer of skin. It was as if you weren't wearing a fragrance. I tend to get a very similar feeling with Halston Man Amber. HMA however, lasts a lot longer than Bang. While there is a sweetness here, I wouldn't call this a sweet scent. Also, there is something here that gives off an old school masculine vibe, but not in a dated sort of way. HMA is very well blended. I'm having a hard time picking out notes other than wood and amber. Longevity is very respectable, as I got approximately 8 hours with my first wearing. Sillage is below average to moderate (remember the skin thing). I feel that this can be worn year round, even it the summer months. Overall I would say this is a very respectable offering. I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I'll have to do more testing. I wouldn't recommend blind buying this, but it is certainly worth testing if you come across it in your travels...

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Interesting scent.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one. If I press my nose to the application spot, I get more wood. If I get a whiff of the sillage, I get mostly amber. I remember when Marc Jacob's Bang came out and many people felt like the scent was like an extra layer of skin. It was as if you weren't wearing a fragrance. I tend to get a very similar feeling with Halston Man Amber. HMA however, lasts a lot longer than Bang. While there is a sweetness here, I wouldn't call this a sweet scent. Also, there is something here that gives off an old school masculine vibe, but not in a dated sort of way. HMA is very well blended. I'm having a hard time picking out notes other than wood and amber. Longevity is very respectable, as I got approximately 8 hours with my first wearing. Sillage is below average to moderate (remember the skin thing). I feel that this can be worn year round, even it the summer months. Overall I would say this is a very respectable offering. I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I'll have to do more testing. I wouldn't recommend blind buying this, but it is certainly worth testing if you come across it in your travels...
    great post. One thing that kept crossing my mind was if this scent was a too mature in a outdated way? I'm new to this so my nose isn't anywhere near the level of you guys, but I just wasn't sure. Looks like you nip that bud by saying its more modern smell.

What type of feed bcak have you received from others?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post

What type of feed bcak have you received from others?
    I just received it in the mail today, so no feedback as yet.

Got it in the mail today, sneaked in a quick spray at the office - and YES, success, another great blind buy, based on Basnotes good reviews. It very well matches descriptions listed here. I was especially impressed with the smoky/peppery/burnt drydown. Very well-priced for such a high-quality fragrance. At last a return to form from Halston, maker of my teen-dream fragrances 1-12 and Z-14. Nostalgia rears its ugly head. . . where's a good pair of Jordache jeans when you need them?

Post Thanks / Like

I wore this for the first time yesterday. All day long, I kept thinking "Man, I smell good".

And I did, and I also knew it reminded me very much of something else. That something else is Burberry Brit for Men. Amber is better, but they are very similar to my nose. I thought long and hard as it was really bugging me as to what it smelled like. The house of Burberry came to my mind first and then Brit dawned on me. It's funny how my mind worked it through in stages. Maybe that happens with age!

I remember trying this out at the NM in Troy MI. Recently I visited Chicago and went to NM to purchase this. The tester was out, but they did not have any bottles for sale. The same went for the Troy MI store. Sorry to see this discontinued from the stores. I did purchase a 2.5 oz bottle from Elizabeth Arden online. I know it's late in the season for something heavier like this, but I LOVE this one a lot. I also purchased Comptoir Sud Pacific Oud Intense...I wish Basenotes would put all of the CSP Oud series up to review with a layout of the notes.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    I wish Basenotes would put all of the CSP Oud series up to review with a layout of the notes.
    Get to work my friend...

www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Thanks! I'll have to do my homework and get-a-sniffin'
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

This is very good stuff. Balmy unsweet amber with oud. I just ordered a full bottle
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes