Code of Conduct

Default Has anyone come across white oudh?

I ordered a mukhallat that is put together by a local fragrance seller (it is very similar to Montale's Oud Cuir d'Arabie to my nose). Along with the order he included a sample of something called "white oudh".

It is very sweet and EXTREMELY potent, even in tiny quantities. The initial application has a slightly unpleasant background, with even a bit of a camphory/eucalyptus note. It becomes much more likable after a few hours. It reminds me a bit more of sweet incense, but not necessarily agarwood incense.

Has anyone heard of white oudh? I emailed the seller, and this was his reply:

The White Oudh is actually the oil extract from the Oudh tree. This method has
    been mastered by the Germans only.
    Thus you would find that the Mature Oudh notes are absent. This Oudh is
    ideal for the novice as it is both cost efficient & extremely long lasting.

The notes are unique as it is sweet yet herbaceous and a bit aqueous.
    Last edited by ryanm; 23rd July 2010 at 06:58 AM.

Default Re: Has anyone come across white oudh?

doesn't make sense to me to be honest

Sounds like bullshit to me. Never heard of it, and I'm not an oud expert, but that sounds whack.
    Sales thread here

It probably contains one of the oud aromachemicals, which in general, can be less offensive than real Oud sometimes is.

I notice that you're from South Africa. By any chance is it from a seller known as attar afzal ? I've purchased a 3ml bottle of White Oudh from him before - definitely does not smell like the other, more mature-smelling oudhs i've purchased before. I've also often wondered whether the scent is synthethic or actually derived from the Oudh tree. The bottle says "Original German" - i wonder whether the German's actually hold a monopoly on this technology? Anyway, one things for sure, the scent is incredibly sweet and long lasting. My wife loves it on me and says it smells like creme soda

Well the oud world is a crazy whirlpool to me , the German story sounds a little dubious to say the least but who knows ? Montale have their white Oud which is very very sweet and potent .....

Maybe it's supposed to be based on Montale's White Aoud?
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

White Oudh or "Oudh Al Abiyad" is typically a light blend of Oudh and Musk. Rasasi has an excellent EDP called "Oudh Al Abiyad" . If you want something exclusively then try Prince EDP by Surrati.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    I ordered a mukhallat that is put together by a local fragrance seller (it is very similar to Montale's Oud Cuir d'Arabie to my nose). Along with the order he included a sample of something called "white oudh".

It is very sweet and EXTREMELY potent, even in tiny quantities. The initial application has a slightly unpleasant background, with even a bit of a camphory/eucalyptus note. It becomes much more likable after a few hours. It reminds me a bit more of sweet incense, but not necessarily agarwood incense.

Has anyone heard of white oudh? I emailed the seller, and this was his reply:
    Hello,

I am new to this forum and rather late in this discussion. However, I currently frequent the various souks, here in Kuwait, as well as others throughout the Middle East. I am familiar with White Oudh, as I have a very reliable perfumer that I am close with. What I have been told about this fragrance, because it is actually one of my favorites, is there is no oudh contained in this fragrance at all. White Oudh is actually created using Amber; which can be mistaken for oudh. That is the camphor-like smell that White Oudh gives off. I am not knowledgeable about where the name came from, but there is no oudh in this particular fragrance. By no means, however, does it take away from its unique aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Maybe it's supposed to be based on Montale's White Aoud?
    Or Maybe Montale based theirs on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by ishaaQ View Post
    Hello,

I am familiar with White Oudh, as I have a very reliable perfumer that I am close with. What I have been told about this fragrance, because it is actually one of my favorites, is there is no oudh contained in this fragrance at all. White Oudh is actually created using Amber;
    That there is no actual oud in this "White Oudh" is no surprise to me. And the premise of "White" - just a marketing ploy, just as in "White" musk. It sounds like a lot of Musk aromatic materials, and a little of some other things...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

If this guy knew anything about Oudh, he wouldnt have used the term "Oudh Tree" in his response to you as there is no such thing. "Oudh" is the pathological secretion of the aquillaria tree, a rich, musty woody-nutty scent that is highly prized in the Middle East. The oil comes from an infection in the tree and is produced in response to combat this. In commercial perfumery it's safe to say all "oudh" is a recreated synthetic note. Maybe this stuff is an oil extraction from the Aquillaria tree that is not infected and therefore does not produce true Oudh? Who knows. Is this a thick oil, does it contain any alcohol, how much does it cost per ml?

PS Im really excited to hear good reviews of Oudh Al Abiyad aka White Oudh by Rasasi, as I have a bottle headed my way soon. Any other info on it would be appreciated.