Code of Conduct
    Point Blank

Default More scents like Vetiver Oriental and Coze...

Woody, dark, oriental or semi-oriental, with chocolate, coffee or other gourmand note, like Vetiver Oriental and PG Coze.

Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More scents like Vetiver Oriental and Coze...

CiocoSpesizissimo
    Endymion.
    Chocolat Amere
    Aomassai
    CiocoRosissimo

These lean more to subtle semi-gourmand.
    Last edited by neal; 23rd July 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Polo Double Black has a coffee/nutmeg accord that I like, and although the overall feel is more bright than dark, it is rich and woodsy enough to be in the oriental, um?, ballpark.
    Borneo 1834 has a really well done chocolate note.
    There isn't a coffee or chocolate note per se in Lonestar Memories but then we know that the whole 'note' thing is greatly overstated, given that a 'chocolate' note may be composed of 20 ingredients none of which is chocolate. Lonestar Memories is one of the great Rorschach frags. Everyone smells their own crazy in the stuff. My particular crazy involves something in the bitter/sweet/mellow/richearthy family, and if you're looking for coffee and chocolate you might like. Or maybe you'll smell barbecued biker, like some. At any rate, God hates a coward, as me Da used to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Eau Des Iles reminds me very much of Coze. EdI is warm, bittersweet, peppery, with a distinct coffee note.
    I find EdI to be drier, a little more complex, and less linear than Coze. Coze is slightly sweeter than EdI, with a dark chocolate/patchouli accord that makes it even more of a gourmand than EdI.
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Point Blank

I'll check them out. And I totally agree that listed notes are deceptive - I've found frags exciting on paper totally disappointing in reality and the other way around. I'm even hestitating to ask for certain notes. I'm really looking for a woody, dark, deep and "brown" or "black" oriental. So let me know whatever comes to mind.

I may add that I find Vetiver Oriental too sweet, candylike, in the drydown, while Coze gets a harsh, ashy character that I think is due to chili/pimento.

Point Blank

Eau des Iles seems interesting - I really, really like the few MPGs I've tried. But why, oh why, the tacky bottle design? The cap looks like the ball handle of a pimp cane you would buy in a costume shop. It's a hurdle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    ...pimp cane...

That's gotta be the most apt description yet of that MPG bottle!
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd really enjoy vintage MPG Santal Noble if you could get hold of some.