Code of Conduct

Thread: New samples

Question New samples

Hi everyone,

I'm relative new member here in basenotes although I have been following community and reviews sometimes in the last few years. I just ordered this week some samples which cannot find here in Finland so now I'm asking what should I expect and what do you thing about these scents? Here are the samples:

Acqua di Parma - Profumo (original)
    Annick Goutal - Eau de Hadrien edp
    Creed - Selection Verte
    Floris - Santal (original)
    Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur
    Hermes - Equipage & Rocabar
    Knize - Ten & Forest
    Le Labo - Rose 31
    Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo, Musk & Piper Nigrum
    Serge Lutens - Chergui & Musk Koublai Khan

So, it would be nice to hear opinions from more experienced basenoters, thanks a lot!
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Default Re: New samples

The ones I've tried:

Equipage was an orangey wood, seemed a bit dated to me but would probably be fairly "safe".

Rocabar was a highly sweetened yet piney, foresty wood...the only one of these that I thought seriously about buying.

Villoresi Uomo was too sharp and astringent for me, I assume due to lavender. Plus lots of citrus and a little dry wood.

I think all three are generally well-regarded on BN.

The only one I've tried is Musc Ravageur and I didn't like it. It's certainly okay, but at over $100 a bottle, okay doesn't cut it. It was too gourmand and sweet for me. Certainly some fruity Kiehl's type musk in there though, no super expensive musk.

The ones I've have:

Profumo: the best chypre you can buy today (buy the original, not the reforumulated! You can still find it!) Plummy oakmoss...mmmmmmmm
    Musc Ravageur: sweet, musky, animalic vanilla that has insane sillage and longevity. A bit similiar to Shalimar.
    Knize Ten: sharp, soapy leather that has a bit of Eau de Soir chypre feeling but then folds into a beautiful ambery, casteroum-laden warm, smooth leather.
    Rose 31: Don't let the name fool you, this is all about oud and cumin, and tiny bit of rose thrown it. I've grown up with oud oils and I can definetly smell an immense presence in it. I don't find it animalic (cumin), and utterly wearable and unique. Probably one of my top perfume finds in the past couple of years.
    Chergui: I bought a bell jar from Paris earlier this year and I kinda regret it. It is highly regarded as one of Luten's best and I may be a minority but I disagree. I now find it soapy, slightly generic and not that exciting. However if you enjoy soapy tobacco scents that are sweet, you might like this.
    MKK: one of the Luten's best for sure. Sweaty, dirty flowers is the best description I can give it. I LOVE it!

Thank you very much for your answers! Has anyone tried Floris Santal, Villoresi's, Creed Selection Verte or Knize Forest?

I'm waiting these and also another samples enthusiastically...

Thanks!

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

2Hermes seems...too old IMO.

Chergui is very very interesting. Great longervity and sillage, too. It's like nothing you've ever tried before.MKK is all about luxurious, dirty, and sexy musc.

MR is warm, enjoyable. It is not all about musc, but cinnamon. You're gonna love it after about 30minutes wearing MR.

Rose 31, like Scent said, is not about rose. It's quite...feminin to me. Rose 31 is simple, but seductive. Anyway, I don't like it.

Knize10 is a complex, thick, and strong leather scent. Masculin and mature.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur: Pleasantly wearable, the musk hardly animalic. Excellent quality.

Le Labo - Rose 31 - A masculine rose + woods/incense scent. Recommended.

Serge Lutens Chergui : Amazing first 2 hours. Smoky tobacco, honey & hay absolute. Can get a little too sweet towards the end.

Serge Lutens Musk Koublai Khan - strong stuff, macho spicy musk. But have yet to give this a full wearing. But probably not in public.

But you have a pretty great selection of samples there. Welcome to Basenotes!

Awesome, I like most of those, the other ones are on my to sample list as I havent been able to sample yet.
    Knize, malle, Hermes, Piper Nigrum, all great.
    Do yourself a favour and try more of the goutals

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm relative new member here in basenotes although I have been following community and reviews sometimes in the last few years. I just ordered this week some samples which cannot find here in Finland so now I'm asking what should I expect and what do you thing about these scents? Here are the samples:

Acqua di Parma - Profumo (original)
    Annick Goutal - Eau de Hadrien edp
    Creed - Selection Verte
    Floris - Santal (original)
    Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur
    Hermes - Equipage & Rocabar
    Knize - Ten & Forest
    Le Labo - Rose 31
    Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo, Musk & Piper Nigrum
    Serge Lutens - Chergui & Musk Koublai Khan

So, it would be nice to hear opinions from more experienced basenoters, thanks a lot!
    Just sent you a PM Tony!
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Lomani Intense Black, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

I'm wondering, do these samples come from TPC?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I'm wondering, do these samples come from TPC?
    Hi JBL,

No, these samples aren't ordered from TPC, but I ordered them from perfumed court. I have always received good and trustworthy service at perfumed court and samples have always been fine.

Actually, I think TPC = The Perfumed Court. But more importantly, that's a good bunch of samples; thanks for letting us know where you got them!
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

I guess TPC stands for the perfumed court
    shame they don't ship to turkey

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Actually, I think TPC = The Perfumed Court. But more importantly, that's a good bunch of samples; thanks for letting us know where you got them!
    Ah, sure of course. I thought that JBL meaned that TPC= the perfume connection(.com), but what so ever, I bought my samples at perfumed court and I'm happy with that. And for those samples I have now full bottles of Floris Santal, Lutens Chergui, Malles Musc Ravageur and Villoresi's Uomo and Piper Nigrum so it was very expensive set!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    Ah, sure of course. I thought that JBL meaned that TPC= the perfume connection(.com), but what so ever, I bought my samples at perfumed court and I'm happy with that. And for those samples I have now full bottles of Floris Santal, Lutens Chergui, Malles Musc Ravageur and Villoresi's Uomo and Piper Nigrum so it was very expensive set!
    Hi Tony

Thanks for letting us know.

I don't like TPC as their prices are truly outrageous.
    I mostly order samples from www.ausliebezumduft.de.
    Better prices, and their packaging is the best for samples.

Thanks for that information JBL! You are absolutely right that the perfumed court is very expensive, but I keep that ausliebezumduft.de in my mind when I next time wanna order some samples. Thanks!

A second on the recommendation for ausliebezumduft.de but i highly suggest checking out thedifferentscent.com
    the guy(s) are extremely friendly and generous with their samples.

So tony how did you end up with these samples? which do you like, which not?

Hi Timaru,

I will check out thedifferentscent.com also. Thanks! And as I said earlier, I ended up to bought full bottles of Floris Santal, Chergui, Musc Ravageur and Villoresi's Uomo and Piper Nigrum. So I really like those scents, although they are a little bit different among themselves. Floris Santal and Musc Ravageur are more cold weather scents for me. Santal is very smooth, refined and nice fragrance. I find it very gentlemanly and something that will offend no-one. Musc Ravageur is, as we all know, more powerful and sensual, but still soft and very wearable cinnamon/musc scent. One of my favourites for fall and winter!

Chergui, Uomo and Piper Nigrum are, at least for me, more allweather scents. Chergui is also soft, mysterious and one the most comfortable and wearable scent that I have. Think about soft and pure cashmire. But still be careful with the trigger, because if overapplied, Chergui can be a little bit too sweet. Uomo and Piper Nigrum are both very natural (in a good way!) and although they are a little bit raw (and messy) at first, they settled very nicely and becomes very intresting frags. Very rich, many-sided, stylish and very "full". Something totally different than basic, simply, toneless and dull departmentstore or market designerfrags. I adore Villoresi and his work of art a lot and suggest you to try his shower gels also (I have Uomo and Piper Nigrum). Pure luxury!

I also liked Creed's Selection Verte and Goutal's Eau de Hadrien very much, but unfortunately both have very poor longevity on my skin. None but 2 hours max. Still they are great summer scents, which smell very fresh and delicious. And what comes to Knize 10 and Forest, I find them old and musty, if I'm honest, although they are highly considered here in BN. Hermes Equipage & Rocabar nor had my favourites, although they weren't so dated than Knize offerings. Quite nice, but not my thing still. Maybe I will grow up to those Knize and Hermes frags someday.

Acqua di Parma Profumo was very nice! Stylish, delicious and comfortable chypre. Actually I have to retest AdP Profumo, because it is long time when I tested it last time and I can't remember it very precisely right now. But nice it was! But I can remember that Le Labo Rose 31 was a way too feminine for my taste, although it is well made and sure for those who adore rose. But not for me. Lutens Musk Koublai Khan was very intresting and can I say, even addicting, but because of its brutalityness I didn't find it bottleworthy. But still very intresting and exceptional frag! I suggest everybody to try it, if you already haven't.

I hope that helps you!