Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Default Amouage dillemma

    Hey guys,

    I have a problem.

    I don't know if I should spend the cash and get Dia and Jubilation (at 50ml each) or get a 12ml Tribute instead.

    I have sampled Dia and Jubilation several times now, and I'm familiar with how they both smell on my skin. I would like to add them to my collection, but I'm a sucker for smelling something new. I have never tested Tribute before, and the cost of procuring a sample from theperfumedcourt.com is just too prohibitive for me.

    Sooooo, I would like to ask the rest of the BN community, what are your thoughts on Tribute? Do give me your reviews! I have read several older posts about Tribute, but I would like to read a lil more before I make the decision to buy fragrances I'm familiar with, or take the plunge and go for something that I have never sampled before.

    P.S. I'm one of those who relishes the thrill of a blind buy

  2. #2

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    What I'd do is buy say, 5 official samples each of Jubilation and Dia from Parfums Raffy (each sample is $6 and 2ml, so for $30 you can have 10ml of Dia, and $30 more 10ml of Jubilation). Given that these are one or, at most, two spray frags, 10ml will last you a LONG time.

    You could then buy a 3ml bottle of Tribute from somewhere like Zahras (I think this is available. Not sure as i can't seem to load the Zahras site right now) and still have spent as much or even less than you'd have spent for just one 50ml bottle.

    edit: Ah, got to Zahras and sadly no 3ml size is available for Tribute. Well, I still think the sample route is a great way to get "decants" of Amouage, and you can get the official samples in nice atomizers for cheaper than you'd pay at The Perfumed Court for the same amount. Actually, $6 for 2 ml of juice works out to $300 for 100ml, which is the cost of something like Epic or Lyric man. So basically, you can buy any amount you want (via 2ml samples) at the same per ml cost as a full bottle. Where else can you get decants that cost the same per ml as a full bottle!?
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  3. #3

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Go for XXV and Dia.. No doubt!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    What I'd do is buy say, 5 official samples each of Jubilation and Dia from Parfums Raffy (each sample is $6 and 2ml, so for $30 you can have 10ml of Dia, and $30 more 10ml of Jubilation). Given that these are one or, at most, two spray frags, 10ml will last you a LONG time.

    You could then buy a 3ml bottle of Tribute from somewhere like Zahras (I think this is available. Not sure as i can't seem to load the Zahras site right now) and still have spent as much or even less than you'd have spent for just one 50ml bottle.

    edit: Ah, got to Zahras and sadly no 3ml size is available for Tribute. Well, I still think the sample route is a great way to get "decants" of Amouage, and you can get the official samples in nice atomizers for cheaper than you'd pay at The Perfumed Court for the same amount. Actually, $6 for 2 ml of juice works out to $300 for 100ml, which is the cost of something like Epic or Lyric man. So basically, you can buy any amount you want (via 2ml samples) at the same per ml cost as a full bottle. Where else can you get decants that cost the same per ml as a full bottle!?
    I like your suggestion, but I'm a bottle freak! Somehow, just owning the juice alone seems incomplete to me. I'll admit that its an expensive idiosyncrasy :P

    Have you tried tribute? Could I hear your thoughts about it?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Go for XXV and Dia.. No doubt!
    What are your thoughts on Epic for men? How does it compare to XXV? Would love to hear your opinion!

  6. #6
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,320
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    I ordered samples of Tribute and Homage for my husband from Luckyscent, but we were both underwhelmed with them. I love Amouage Gold for women, but those other 2 just didn't do anything for us.

    Anyway, Luckyscent may also be a source of samples for you if you have other things to order from them to make the shipping cost worthwhile (I haven't checked if they ship internationally.)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    bumping this up! Has anyone else sampled Tribute? Do share what your thoughts about it!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by ccck View Post
    What are your thoughts on Epic for men? How does it compare to XXV? Would love to hear your opinion!
    IMO, it`s a masterpiece. It`s fighting with Dia to take over the second place on my Amouage favourite list. My no.1 is still Jubilation XXV. If you like leather, frankincense, incense, and oud, you will probably love Epic. It`s masculine, dark, deep, strong, and powerful. As with most of the scents from Amouage, it smells extremely bold, luxurious, and expensive. The longevity and sillage is fantastic, and 2 sprays will easily last all day long. This is strong stuff. It`s very expensive, but you get what you pay for! Jubilation XXV is more fruity and "pretty" than Epic. Epic is pure masculinity, but not for kids! I love it! -Try before you buy..
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 22nd July 2010 at 06:51 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    I'd seriously consider the entire line before buying two of them. I LOVE so many Amouage scents, by far my favourite house so far. I haven't tried Tribute, though. Here's my top 5:

    Lyric men - Probably too feminine and delicate a rose for most people, learn to appreciate it and you'll be in love.
    Jubilation - Almost perfection!
    Reflection - Earthy, spicy, peppery beauty!
    Epic
    Dia

  10. #10

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Amouage Dilemma?

    Damn, I thought it was a new fragrance...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  11. #11

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    I think Tribute is a great fragrance with it's smokey frankincense accord and the underlying dry down of tobacco and leather which for a oil is a very pungent scent. But it has to be sampled before you buy as it is imo to expensive for a blind buy and to be kicking yourself if you find you like the others more. I have sampled all the above and Jubilation is the one I would choose as it is so easy to wear in most situations. Tribute IMO is not a every day scent and do you want to spend a lot of money on something that can only be worn in certain circumstances or special occasions.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I'd seriously consider the entire line before buying two of them. I LOVE so many Amouage scents, by far my favourite house so far. I haven't tried Tribute, though. Here's my top 5:

    Lyric men - Probably too feminine and delicate a rose for most people, learn to appreciate it and you'll be in love.
    Jubilation - Almost perfection!
    Reflection - Earthy, spicy, peppery beauty!
    Epic
    Dia
    Mine favourite house too. Here`s my top 5:

    1. Jubilation XXV. -Footbridge to heaven!
    2. Dia. -Luxurious, refined, and elegant.
    3. Epic. -Manly, strong, powerful, and bold.
    4. Ciel. -Refreshing, uplifting, unique spring/summer floral scent for men.
    5. Silver. -Classic, elegant, work-horse scent for fastidious gentlemen.

    -I`ve been testing out Lyric for some weeks now, and I must say it`s growing on me!
    -Did my first full wearing of Reflection today. I did love it from the sample i got, but when i sprayed it from the bottle it gave me a terrible headache, and almost make me sick! Unfortunately I found out that I can`t use it.
    I love the luxurious smell of Amouage scents, but Reflection and Gold is just to much for me to tolerate..

  13. #13

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Mine favourite house too. Here`s my top 5:

    1. Jubilation XXV. -Footbridge to heaven!
    2. Dia. -Luxurious, refined, and elegant.
    3. Epic. -Manly, strong, powerful, and bold.
    4. Ciel. -Refreshing, uplifting, unique spring/summer floral scent for men.
    5. Silver. -Classic, elegant, work-horse scent for fastidious gentlemen.

    -I`ve been testing out Lyric for some weeks now, and I must say it`s growing on me!
    -Did my first full wearing of Reflection today. I did love it from the sample i got, but when i sprayed it from the bottle it gave me a terrible headache, and almost make me sick! Unfortunately I found out that I can`t use it.
    I love the luxurious smell of Amouage scents, but Reflection and Gold is just to much for me to tolerate..
    That's a real shame that Reflection gives you a headache! I only realised how great it was after picking a dirty shirt up to wash and smelling it. I thought WOW and had to think for a while what it was As for Gold, errrrrrrrrr not nice IMO. Really want to try Ciel and Silver now (samples welcome ).

  14. #14
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,571

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Amouage Dilemma?

    Damn, I thought it was a new fragrance...
    Me too. (giggle)

  15. #15
    Hillaire
    Guest

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    My BF and I actually went bananas and bought bottles of Tribute and Homage, but only after collecting the whole line and declaring ourselves Amouage devotees!

    Somehow, it strikes me as more 'foundational' to start with some faves from the men's regular line. I'd also suggest you do one of these splits on the sale board and buy a small 1ml vial of Tribute and see how much you really wear it before actually springing for the bottle. It might be the sort of thing you LOVE but won'tbe wearing lots, due to it's different-ness and preciousness both. (This is how I feel, btw) . And this should be considered. In many ways, I regard my attars as conversation items, treasures, and find myself reluctant to dab them on too often. I should also mention that the Attar bottles do not travel in the mail well (they leak), so I'd also wait until you can get some from a counter, unless you already can.

    Finally -- and this is personal -- I'd recommend you start with Dia Man and Ciel Man, or Dia Man and Silver Cologne, before going for Jubilation. For the sakes of diversity and putting quality first.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 22nd July 2010 at 10:54 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    To be honest with you, after reading/hearing all the praise, Amouage Tribute was hands down the biggest disappointment in my perfume craze career. I would go with Dia and Jubilation easy.

    I also recommend trying Gold, but be careful, its a very formal scent.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  17. #17

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Why aren't there any BN reviews of Tribute, as opposed to Homage which has quite a couple?

    Did anybody compare really specifically Homage and Tribute?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    IMO, it`s a masterpiece. It`s fighting with Dia to take over the second place on my Amouage favourite list. My no.1 is still Jubilation XXV. If you like leather, frankincense, incense, and oud, you will probably love Epic. It`s masculine, dark, deep, strong, and powerful. As with most of the scents from Amouage, it smells extremely bold, luxurious, and expensive. The longevity and sillage is fantastic, and 2 sprays will easily last all day long. This is strong stuff. It`s very expensive, but you get what you pay for! Jubilation XXV is more fruity and "pretty" than Epic. Epic is pure masculinity, but not for kids! I love it! -Try before you buy..
    Thanks for the review! Just to clarify, XXV starts of with an austere incensy aura with a fruity sweet accord that recedes into the background as the scent drys down. What about Epic? Based on the notes, I imagine that the opening is spicy (in an aromatic way) and it eventually drys down to a slightly bitter, leathery fragrance with frankincense softening the edges of the harsh leather and castoreum. Is my imagination going in the right direction??

    Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I'd seriously consider the entire line before buying two of them. I LOVE so many Amouage scents, by far my favourite house so far. I haven't tried Tribute, though. Here's my top 5:

    Lyric men - Probably too feminine and delicate a rose for most people, learn to appreciate it and you'll be in love.
    Jubilation - Almost perfection!
    Reflection - Earthy, spicy, peppery beauty!
    Epic
    Dia
    I enjoy a good rose scent, and so far I've found it in Black Aoud! I have sampled Lyric woman, Dia, XXV, Homage and Ciel before, and I do enjoy XXV and Dia. That's why I'm caught in this dilemma - should I go for something I'm familiar with or try something new??
    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Amouage Dilemma?

    Damn, I thought it was a new fragrance...
    LOL omg sorry about the confusion :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I think Tribute is a great fragrance with it's smokey frankincense accord and the underlying dry down of tobacco and leather which for a oil is a very pungent scent. But it has to be sampled before you buy as it is imo to expensive for a blind buy and to be kicking yourself if you find you like the others more. I have sampled all the above and Jubilation is the one I would choose as it is so easy to wear in most situations. Tribute IMO is not a every day scent and do you want to spend a lot of money on something that can only be worn in certain circumstances or special occasions.
    This is exactly what is going on in my mind. Based on the reviews I've read, Tribute seems to be a leather scent, and its tough to wear leather frequently (the climate in Singapore is just too warm to be wearing leather fragrances in the day). I really hate the idea of dumping cash on a beautiful fragrance that I can wear only on special occasions.

  19. #19
    Hillaire
    Guest

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Why aren't there any BN reviews of Tribute, as opposed to Homage which has quite a couple?

    Did anybody compare really specifically Homage and Tribute?
    THe last time I checked Tribute was not in the database, so if it is now, the reason is that we couldn't.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Ehh, it's Amouage so you're definitely gonna be shelling out money. All I can say is maybe search for steals on Ebay, or the sale/swap threads here.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Carefull there have been a fair amount of fakes on ebay of late

  22. #22

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Amouage surpases any other house in terms of quality and integrity. They really know what they are doing. I'd for XXV and Dia. Hell, they are all good!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  23. #23

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    THe last time I checked Tribute was not in the database, so if it is now, the reason is that we couldn't.
    You're right Hillaire - so how would you compare Homage (which I know) and Tribute (which I don't)? Thanks.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Amouage dillemma

    Would love to hear thoughts on Tribute too

Similar Threads

  1. Splits - Amouage HOMAGE & Amouage TRIBUTE Attars
    By gupts in forum Items for Sale
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28th January 2011, 04:09 PM
  2. Amouage HOMAGE vs Amouage MOLOOK - comparisons anyone?
    By gupts in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th June 2010, 03:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •