Code of Conduct

Default Monsieur Rochas EDT Concentree

Having had my entire stock of vintage fragrances destroyed about a year ago, I am pleased to report that I have replaced all the important items. However, it is the latest addition to my collection of "oldies" that has pleased me the most. A small old pharmacy closed down in my home town, and amongst some very forgettable items such as Hai Karate and Denim was a 57ml splash bottle of Monsieur Rochas EDT Concentree. According to the owner of the shop it was part of an unsold batch dating back to 1972. I remembered owning a small sample of the original EDT version, and being very impressed, but this concentree version is even better.

It is a very dry fougere, baked and dark in spirit. The opening is very aromatic and in many ways reminds me of the original Worth and Paco Rabanne. If it had stayed along this course for the duration, I would have been delighted, but it gets even better. It is as if everything that is dominant in the opening is discarded and the whole production reset. What emerges is slightly spicy, but with a superb oakmoss base. I have sampled thousands of items over the last few years, but seldom have I been so impressed by the balance of a fragrance. A small application to the palm of my hand that was subsequently rubbed onto my wrists and neck lasted the whole day. In a nutshell, balance, potency and high quality in a very refined and sophisticated fougere.

The version currently being peddled by Rochas is a garish pink liquid, and certainly not a continuation of the original concept. If you like aromatic fougeres and can find a bottle of the EDT, or preferrably the concentree, I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Having spent( wasted?) so much on fragrances over the years, it is nice to occasionally pick up a bargain. The Monsieur Rochas cost me 3, and a bottle of Nina Ricci Phileas cost 5 from the same shop. It does not quite make up for the many imprudent buys in my past, but it helps

Default Re: Monsieur Rochas EDT Concentree

Yes, this is a magnificent spicy fougere. It certainly rates with Jules, Azzaro PH, and with others you mentioned. I haven't smelled the latest pink formulation and have no desire to.

The eau de cologne concentration is also lovely.

3 for a bottle is quite a steal!
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Basenotes Institution

I'd love to see what the bottle (and/or box) you've described looks like. Please post a picture, if you can.

Congrats!

Mike,

Apologies for the quality. Took the picture on my desk at work using my HTC.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks!