Code of Conduct

Default Darkness (somber, evil) yet Light (hope, goodness)

Another tug of war here...

Which frag(s) take you to darkness; you can see it , smell it, feel it.....but even though you are there, you still sense a bit of hope and goodness never completely disappears.

I get this feeling with Heeley - Cardinal. Even though you feel the somberness of the moment, it seems to give you a lightness that makes you feel as though there is hope at the end of the tunnel. There is sun through the stained glass windows of the cathedral.

Also Buxton - Black Angel, the brightness of the florals and ginger, never completely relinquish control to the patchouli and incense. You are in the dark, but you smell the flowers that you know you will see in the morning.

Just for fun...one that never shows hope or light is Black Tourmaline. It never promised to give me hope and it never does. It is at least honest in it's invitation and not a wolf in sheep's clothing.

thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Darkness (somber, evil) yet Light (hope, goodness)

Comme des Garçons 2 seems like a floral light at the end of a dark tunnel of goodness to me. I guess that's more Buxton!

All of the Tom Fords that I like seem like something light arriving in a cloud of black stuff. Black Orchid is just typical of that.

It's an interesting pattern of perfumery.

I feel this way about L'Artisan's Passage D'Enfer. i get a dark, gothic churchy vibe but it resolves to a bright, floral beam of sunlight breaking through the dark clouds. Good Friday to Easter Sunday in the span of a drydown. Cue the Picardy Third.

I have a love of fragrances I percieve as "dark" versus "bright". I associate dark with thickness over thinness, opacity over transparency, weight over lightness, and usually more with base notes rather than top notes. If there was a zero to ten scale going from bright to dark, I'd say most of my favorites are sixes, sevens, eights, and nines.

To my nose, the darkest fragrance ever was Tauer's Orris. A definite "ten" on my darkness scale. There is just nothing light in here. It's a thick, heavy, complex affair, sombre in mood and weighty in sillage and longevity. It's beautiful and oppressive at the same time - I just know if I owned it it would be a sometime-thing.

Conversely, any light weight citrus cologne tends to be a one or a two at most of that scale. Delightful as a brief refreshment, but ultimately not what I seek in a fragrance I give a regular wearing to.

One of my favorite plays on dark and light is Amouage's Ubar. It's very dark to me ( maybe an eight? ), but the core accord is something very demure and powdery, transformed with a hint of the exotic in the form of civet and incense; pulling the central floral accord away from the banale and into the adventurous. I love the inner tension between doll-like innocence and something both sinister and sophisticated. It's a self-aware kind of beauty; cunning artistry over unaffected nature.

L'Ombre Fauve (usually) takes me into the most beautiful dark wood with exotic and most impressive trees, but still there is always a little bit of light shining through. Add a touch of "animalic" amber to this, while the scent progresses and you're there!

The two that come to my mind are Parfum d'Habit and Antaeus. I suppose the feeling is more about weight and lightness than light and dark, but they both have the sort of tension in them that you're describing.
    It occurs to me to wonder why we would enjoy wearing frags that are somber, heavy, dark. Clearly we do, yeah?

cartier declaration has a dirty and clean, yin yang thing going on.
    zino davidoff is also IMO a pretty dark fragrance with something brilliant hidden inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    The two that come to my mind are Parfum d'Habit and Antaeus. I suppose the feeling is more about weight and lightness than light and dark, but they both have the sort of tension in them that you're describing.
    It occurs to me to wonder why we would enjoy wearing frags that are somber, heavy, dark. Clearly we do, yeah?

Good question. I guess sometimes I wear a dark fragrance because it takes me somewhere in my thoughts that I am not willing to or can't go to in my 'real' life; an olfactory escape? Also darker scents make me go inward more in my thoughts, I tend to ponder over things and dwell on thoughts longer. OK...I sound strange.

I appreciate the sliver of light and hope though in my darker frags...I always needed a security blanket as a child and I guess I haven't changed much in respect to this subject. If you are going to cut the lights out, leave a night light on for me please.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 24th July 2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    L'Ombre Fauve (usually) takes me into the most beautiful dark wood with exotic and most impressive trees, but still there is always a little bit of light shining through. Add a touch of "animalic" amber to this, while the scent progresses and you're there!
    Very wonderfully said, Larimar. This would be my (borrowed, if I may) answer.

Nicely said, J_W_S. Robyogi used to talk about frags that were 'good to think with', which I really like and find to be true. And what you say about a sense of darkness and dwelling on thoughts longer definitely seems true in my experience.

The reformulation of C&S No.88, which is lighter and brighter than the vintage one, gives me a little of this feeling (dark/bright dichotomy).

Basenotes Institution

I love dark scents, because deep down I'm a very introspective, quiet, to-myself kind of guy. Therefore the deep, dark, pitch-black scents of the fragrance world (Orris by Tauer; Avignon by CdG; Serge Noire by SL; Essence of John Galliano by Diptyque; Fumidus by Profumum; Incense by Norma Kamali...) I am naturally drawn to.

But, like many, these kinds of scents are not always easy to wear. Just like it's not easy to always be introspective. Sort of like being at a party, and some drunk guy walks by you and says, 'Hey smile!'.

Dark, yet light? I'd have to agree with Redneck: Black Orchid by Tom Ford pretty much executes this style quite nicely. Another: Epic Man by Amouage. Loads of beautifully dark frankincense but wrapped up in light and airy woods/oud/leather/spices/musk.