Code of Conduct

Thread: mona di orio

Lightbulb mona di orio

Looking to sample this house, any recommendations? I do prefer 'lighter' scents, considering the environment that I'm in most of the time, but spice (not oud) is also alright

Any input will be good as I've no idea at all about this house!

Default Re: mona di orio

Mona is power house, so far have not found any lighter (aquatic) scents.

green is fine too. how's the vetyver?

Lux is "light" in latin. Sample this one.

Was also going to recommend Lux as being the lightest of the signature line.
    It's worth noting though that the entire signature line has been recently discontinued, leaving her Nombres d'Or series only. If you like softer scents, then I'd recommend Vanille, Musc and Vetyver.

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    green is fine too. how's the vetyver?
    Gorgeous! the best available at moment! Better than Guerlain (Vetyver Reference IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Vanille,

I own it and it is gorgeous however is a really Powerhouse, not a sweet obvious Vanille like 95% of the vanilles available on the market at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Lux is "light" in latin. Sample this one.
    I own it and it's Powerhouse, smells like lemon grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Gorgeous! the best available at moment! Better than Guerlain (Vetyver Reference IMO)
    Great! Just ordered this to sample

Great! Just ordered this to sample
    Cool, please let us know your impressions later on ;-)

Right now the first ones from the line are discontinued, so you may have some trouble finding them. They are focusing on the Les Nombres d'Or line, and from what i understood they don`t fit into what you`re looking for. By light you mean a citrus-woody or musky oriented frag? If so, maybe the one that will fit into what you`re searching is vetiver. The other ones are not dominant, but they aren`t sheer either. They seem very balanced to me, fragrances that keep the central inspiration going on throughout the entire evolution but giving space to the other notes appear too. It would help more if you say some fragrances that you wear you have already wore in the past to see if there are other fragrances on the line that may suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Right now the first ones from the line are discontinued, so you may have some trouble finding them. They are focusing on the Les Nombres d'Or line, and from what i understood they don`t fit into what you`re looking for. By light you mean a citrus-woody or musky oriented frag? If so, maybe the one that will fit into what you`re searching is vetiver. The other ones are not dominant, but they aren`t sheer either. They seem very balanced to me, fragrances that keep the central inspiration going on throughout the entire evolution but giving space to the other notes appear too. It would help more if you say some fragrances that you wear you have already wore in the past to see if there are other fragrances on the line that may suit you.
    Citrus-woody frags are alright as well, musk maybe not so much. I'll see what the Vetyver will do for me; if it's good i'll continue to sample the other ones one by one slowly

This is no powerhouse on me Bonoanimoes, it is quite hushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    This is no powerhouse on me Bonoanimoes, it is quite hushed.
    Ok, I think it is and I do love Guerlain as well:-)

Citrus-woody frags are alright as well, musk maybe not so much. I'll see what the Vetyver will do for me; if it's good i'll continue to sample the other ones one by one slowly
    Well, if you want to sample fragrances outside of what you`re used the line will be a great opportunitie, if not you may end not liking most of them. I`ll give my opinion about the seven ones, may it helps you to see if interest or not:

Cuir - it`s a more classical approach to the leather theme, closer to the cuir de russie style of fragrances like the ones of Creed, Chanel. It has a dry, raw leathery aroma balanced to evidence a subtle sweet and powdery aspect of the accord. It has a retro vibe made in a smooth way.

Musc - this is one of the most intriguing ones from me on the line, because it`s a scent that emphasize different aspects of the composition according the day. On colder days it smells innocent, with a baby powderiness aura made more complex by an almond accord (it also evokes me at some aspects turkish delight inspired fragrances, like Rahat Loukhoum of SL and Loukoum of Keiko Mecheri). At warmer days the flower part of the idea takes the center, having a flowery citrus aroma which is in parts bitter, in parts animalic in a clean way.

Amber - it reminds me amber fragrances like Ambre Sultan, but so far it`s my favorite one cause it`s not so dry like most of fragrances in the Ambre Sultan Style. Like Cuir, it uses amber but leaves space for a smoky-nutty evolution which is very comfort on colder days.

Vetyver - so far one of the easiest to like in the line, a vetiver fragrances that starts with a ginger which is fresh and slightly suggared. The vetiver lacks the rubber aspects having a leafy woody scent which is very pleasant.

Tubereuse - a balanced tuberose soliflore that focus on the fruity aspects of the flower, pairing it with the pink pepper. It avoids part of the rubber, skank or camphor sides of tuberose, seeming very fresh, spring-ish like. It driesdown to a cozy musky, slightly milky base.

Vanille - for me it`s one of the hardest ones. It starts with a boozy and spicy aroma, slightly citrusy, then it takes a more flowery direction, which is kind of heavy and bitter. The vanilla takes place more at the base, where it shows a creamy, musky, slightly smoky aroma.

All of the scents in the line seem to have a kind of signature, which is more or less intense according the fragrance. It`s a nutty, grown up gourmand, slightly powdery aroma that works like a structure to each theme propposed.

Looking to sample this house, any recommendations? I do prefer 'lighter' scents, considering the environment that I'm in most of the time, but spice (not oud) is also alright

Any input will be good as I've no idea at all about this house!
    Try the Vetyver - Les Nombres d’Or

You can still pick up some of the discontinued line from stockists though none are particularly 'light'. Act fast though!

Personally I did not like Les Nombres d'Or Cuir AT ALL. Granted, I'm not a leather fan in general, but to me, it smelt like disgustingly peppered beef jerky. Certainly not something I'd personally ever want to smell like.

I've hardly seen any positive reviews for this but dont understand it's lack of love. IMO it's a very individual leather with a strange but great fougere drydown. Must admit, I only got it recently and so far have only worn it once, but I was pretty impressed. Didn't put the fear of God into everyone around me as I expected from the reviews!
    Last edited by Dorian Gray; 26th September 2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Well, if you want to sample fragrances outside of what you`re used the line will be a great opportunitie, if not you may end not liking most of them. I`ll give my opinion about the seven ones, may it helps you to see if interest or not:

Cuir - it`s a more classical approach to the leather theme, closer to the cuir de russie style of fragrances like the ones of Creed, Chanel. It has a dry, raw leathery aroma balanced to evidence a subtle sweet and powdery aspect of the accord. It has a retro vibe made in a smooth way.

Musc - this is one of the most intriguing ones from me on the line, because it`s a scent that emphasize different aspects of the composition according the day. On colder days it smells innocent, with a baby powderiness aura made more complex by an almond accord (it also evokes me at some aspects turkish delight inspired fragrances, like Rahat Loukhoum of SL and Loukoum of Keiko Mecheri). At warmer days the flower part of the idea takes the center, having a flowery citrus aroma which is in parts bitter, in parts animalic in a clean way.

Amber - it reminds me amber fragrances like Ambre Sultan, but so far it`s my favorite one cause it`s not so dry like most of fragrances in the Ambre Sultan Style. Like Cuir, it uses amber but leaves space for a smoky-nutty evolution which is very comfort on colder days.

Vetyver - so far one of the easiest to like in the line, a vetiver fragrances that starts with a ginger which is fresh and slightly suggared. The vetiver lacks the rubber aspects having a leafy woody scent which is very pleasant.

Tubereuse - a balanced tuberose soliflore that focus on the fruity aspects of the flower, pairing it with the pink pepper. It avoids part of the rubber, skank or camphor sides of tuberose, seeming very fresh, spring-ish like. It driesdown to a cozy musky, slightly milky base.

Vanille - for me it`s one of the hardest ones. It starts with a boozy and spicy aroma, slightly citrusy, then it takes a more flowery direction, which is kind of heavy and bitter. The vanilla takes place more at the base, where it shows a creamy, musky, slightly smoky aroma.

All of the scents in the line seem to have a kind of signature, which is more or less intense according the fragrance. It`s a nutty, grown up gourmand, slightly powdery aroma that works like a structure to each theme propposed.
    thanks for taking the time to type that out! am well pleased with the vetyver sample that i've gotten, so i'm gonna give it a few more wearings to see if it is FB worthy, considering that I've just purchased Sycomore recently lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
    I've hardly seen any positive reviews for this but dont understand it's lack of love. IMO it's a very individual leather with a strange but great fougere drydown. Must admit, I only got it recently and so far have only worn it once, but I was pretty impressed. Didn't put the fear of God into everyone around me as I expected from the reviews!
    I share your impressions regarding Mona di Orio – Cuir, Dorian Gray. I think it’s a fantastic scent.

Although I am highly aware of the fact that everything is just a matter of the personal taste, so obvious lack of love for this one still surprises me…
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26131774.html

Since (I believe) I noticed amber and tobacco which are not listed among the notes (cardamom, absinthe, leather, juniper, opoponax, castoreum) I wanted to check that out on the official Mona di Orio’s site but… it seems that one couldn’t find anything about Les Nombres d`Or line there… for now…
    http://www.monadiorio.com
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

At least it's got 2 fans!

I bought Vetyver. Will review it soon.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    I share your impressions regarding Mona di Orio – Cuir, Dorian Gray. I think it’s a fantastic scent.
    Same here.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Three now

Sound Scents

Make that four. I have liked all of the new Les Nombres d'Or line with the exception of Cuir (which I thought was a tough one to wear as it was more like ash than leather to my nose). The rest are all outstanding, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Waiting for my Vanille sample to come. Vetyver as I stated previously is great, so I've high expectations for the Vanille

Sound Scents

I think you are not going to be let down on that one. Those are my two favorites in the line.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

AromiErotici

I'm working my way sampling her offerings and have worn only a few so far.

Cuir is an extremely eclectic rendition of leather. Imagine your leather jacket a few days after it was in a house fire and there was Mrs. Dash seasoning in your pockets.

Oud is outrageously good........and outrageously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by earwicker7
    Three now
    Yeah, now we can found a fan club.

The whole Les Nombres d'Or line is quite attractive.
    Cuir and Vanille are on my “to buy" list.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke