Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would you wear Creed if......

....... They were 95% cheaper?

Say you walked into Wal-Mart, and there was Creed GIT for 20 bucks. Would you wear it? Clearly, it would be more purchased and worn. Making it less original. Do you wear Creed because it's less worn, less common amongst average Joe's, do you actually love the juice, or is it something else..

No disrespect to Creed fans, but I just find their fragrances to be mediocre with super high price tags. Do you really find Creed's fragrances to be above all else? Or is it more of a confidence thing. I mean when I would wear GIT I felt far more confident, knowing I had on a fragrance that the more affluent wear, kind of a power thing.

So do you actually like that fragrance juice? Or is it more of a feeling. A feeling of affluence, and the finer things in life.

Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

I wear the Creeds that I do because they're good fragrances; same as with the scents from any other house. No one here is posturing when they wear them. If you don't like any of them, fine, but don't assume that those who do like them do so for reasons other then simply enjoying the smell, such as trying to feel affluent.

Creed per ml is actually cheaper than many other lines. If they were $20 a bottle, they'd still smell just as good. A sense of exclusivity doesn't enter into; there may be exceptions, but I'm sure they're quite rare.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

No disrespect here either, but no, I wouldn't. Price isn't really the big problem most of the time (as evident by my wardrobe) but the scents just didn't work for me. I find much more exciting choices available out there regardless of price. I respect those who enjoy Creeds and wish them more pleasure and joy. The same goes with fans of any other brand.

No because everyone else would wear them. I like being unique and being exclusive and having a high price helps with that.

No, because on me the longevity and projection is almost nil.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    No because everyone else would wear them. I like being unique and being exclusive and having a high price helps with that.
    Hate to sound snotty, but I agree. Knowing how much it costs is part of the appeal. Weird, huh? That said, I have gotten many compliments on my Creeds from people who have no clue that it's expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Creed GIT for 20 bucks.
    OMG, not only would I wear it, I would back the truck up.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Hate to sound snotty, but I agree. Knowing how much it costs is part of the appeal. Weird, huh? That said, I have gotten many compliments on my Creeds from people who have no clue that it's expensive.
    Exactly, I do not want acqua di gio because every man and their grandpa is wearing it and it is subpar. I would rather wear quality colognes and usually they come with a price.

Sur la Plage

No. But only because I don't shop at Wal-Mart, due to their employee policies.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I would bathe in GIT if it were 95% cheaper.......
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

GIT, SMW

That's about it...

I'd probably grab a bottle of BdP and put it between my bottles of Chaz and Quorum. LOL.

Yep, I would. Price has zero reasoning behind the few Creeds I own. In fact, I'm always looking for a cheaper, and safe way to own the ones I do like.

Exactly, I do not want acqua di gio because every man and their grandpa is wearing it and it is subpar. I would rather wear quality colognes and usually they come with a price.
    Except that Creed is the Armani of niche fragrances...

Blog Entries

Absolutely! I love getting a good deal. Cheap Creed would be like Caron masculines or YSL on sale at Filene's Basement - a huge bang-for-buck ratio. However, it ain't gonna happen. Why not? Look at every fragrance manufacturer working out formulas on spreadsheets and pinching every penny on components - charging 50-100 bucks for bottles of increasingly weak juice. Would they be cranking out Vintage Tabarôme for $20 a pop?

Impossible. But would I buy such a thing? Sure. There are some great cheap frags out there, and I'm as proud of those as my Creeds. But just look at the responses ^. Exclusivity is very important to a lot of people, and it's almost impossible to find shared interest in cheapies around here, even when they do stuff right. NOBODY gives a shit that McGraw has some very interesting stuff in it.

For me, fragrance is about the experience. I want to experience many fragrances to truly understand - to see in the world of perfume. To experience the beauty. Creeds offer that final 10% of beauty for me in many of their fragrances. Yes, other fragrances get a good ratio of bang to buck, but at a certain point I'm willing to pay more to get more. It's the difference between Cool Water and GIT for me. GIT strikes me, personally, as the more beautiful of the two. But I prefer Wall Street to MI, and own the Bond because it works for me.

I'm the kind of guy who brags how little I spent on something. Although in the case of Creed, that often indicates a fake.

Creed's expense does not, in every case, result in a fragrance that I, personally, think is superior to all others like it. However, in almost all Creeds, there is an undeniable attention to detail that I can smell. I smell, in many of them, an extra edge of craftsmanship that simply costs money. When that craftsmanship results in a fragrance I like better than something cheaper (should happen anyway, for statistical reasons alone, about 50% of the time, all things being equal), then I'm willing to pay the difference. Or not, the other 50% of the time.

Amouage does the same basic thing, albeit differently. They splurge on richness of the composition and components, whereas Creed tends to go for a sort of elegant faux-traditional feel. Both of these are admirable approaches to luxury quality. Luca and Tania personally appreciate Amouage more than Creed, I'm probably more Creed than Amouage.

You don't have to be rich to appreciate luxury items for what they are. My best watch was a Swiss job that I found in the gravel by the side of the highway while hitchhiking as a teenager. It was probably hot, and tossed from a passing car. I'm sure I loved it just as much as the original owner did.

Not every vial of great perfume should be owned by the rich, nor sold to feed the poor. Some of it needs to be dumped out and smelled by just plain folks.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Except that Creed is the Armani of niche fragrances...
    oh snap!!!

oh snap!!!
    It's true...

I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. It's just that of all the niche brands, Creed is by far the most popular and common. You can even buy Creed in Costco! Can't say that about other brands. Again, it's not a knock on the scents themselves, which generally are good, but it's hard to argue that Creed is to niche what Armani is to designer...

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    It's true...

I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. It's just that of all the niche brands, Creed is by far the most popular and common. You can even buy Creed in Costco! Can't say that about other brands. Again, it's not a knock on the scents themselves, which generally are good, but it's hard to argue that Creed is to niche what Armani is to designer...

Armani for the most part makes crap colognes Creed does not, as for as popularity i would agree they are the highest.

Personally, I feel very fortunate that I'm able to enjoy fresh, authentic Creed at half of their suggested retail price. Though, I have paid full retail for a couple of them.

Incidentally, the original Armani Pour Homme was my signature scent beginning in the eighties and well into the early ninties.
    Last edited by Robert G.; 24th July 2010 at 02:51 AM.

I have no idea what the finer things in life are, nor do I care because I think that is a bankrupt concept. I suppose I would buy it anywhere if I like the way it smells.

Dependent

YES!

I wouldn't have to blink an eye when it comes to buying, if they were 95% cheaper - but that will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I would bathe in GIT if it were 95% cheaper.......

=X *fuel on the fire*

And maybe. Creed is ok, I despise their marketing/"aura of prestige" but they aren't overall bad . . . just absurdly overpriced. For the cost of a new Creed release I could buy a) a half ounce of NZ ambergris b)a half cup of vintage Chypre Coty c)a civet cat d) a tailor made perfume from various vendors etc etc.
    Popularity only cheapens art if you were looking for something to make you distinctive (hence the legion of indy bands). I'm not immune to antipathy of mass market products but it's something I realize has no valid reason. For my supremely obscure and unique fragrances I scour antique stores and pick up forgotten gems for a few dollars.

Redneck hit it out of the park on like 5 points.

Creed at the price of typical Walmart designer scents?
    what is that like $28.99/125ml perpetually available?

Of course, at that price and commonality I'd douse myself in my favorites and reapply with no 2nd thaught ever about cost. I'd carry around flacons of Windsor and Selection Verte daily, splashing them on every other hour LOL. Banned in Detroit for real.

Also, I'd buy all the great old-style works that i respect but wouldn't wear often or ever (Private Tabarome, Baie De Genievre, BdP, Royal Scottish Lavender, Epicea) just as room sprays/special occasion scents.

It's simply the greatest house of French/british perfumery, at any price. (high or low)

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Question:

Would you prefer:

Large-scale effective boycott resulting in their demise, and return to small scale distributors and retailers?
    Large-scale effective and prideful unionization of all US Wal-Mart employees, resulting in good wages and benefits, still utilizing the benefits of the entity's immense size and trading power?

Hell yes! Considering that I would wear it at the current price, than why not at 95% cheaper?

....... They were 95% cheaper?

Say you walked into Wal-Mart, and there was Creed GIT for 20 bucks. Would you wear it? Clearly, it would be more purchased and worn. Making it less original. Do you wear Creed because it's less worn, less common amongst average Joe's, do you actually love the juice, or is it something else..

No disrespect to Creed fans, but I just find their fragrances to be mediocre with super high price tags. Do you really find Creed's fragrances to be above all else? Or is it more of a confidence thing. I mean when I would wear GIT I felt far more confident, knowing I had on a fragrance that the more affluent wear, kind of a power thing.

So do you actually like that fragrance juice? Or is it more of a feeling. A feeling of affluence, and the finer things in life.
    Fast forward 10 years:

Girl: Oh My, is that Green Irish Tweed you're wearing?
    Guy: Well, actually this is Cool Water
    Girl: Cool What?

I really do adore some of the Creed line, which is the number 1 contributing factor why I wear it... but still, I suppose the Creed line would be a bit less appealing were it not so exclusive? I don't know, all I know for sure is that they make quality fragrances, and that doesn't come cheap.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    OMG, not only would I wear it, I would back the truck up.
    HAHAHAHA! You said it, brother. (Make mine Angelique Encens and Vintage Tabarome.)
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I'm not a big Creed fan, SMW is the only one I really like. All the others, I don't know, I just can't really get that excited about them.

That said, I am one of those people who prefer niche perfumes and disregard mainstream fragances. One reason is that I find that niche perfumes are very often much better crafted (or at last that's the feeling I get as a consumer) and a lot more interesting, but I do have to admit part of the appeal to me is that not many people know or wear these scents. I guess to a true perfume lover that shouldn't matter - it should be all about the juice...

The price is not a factor for me. I would LOVE to get some of the fragrances I really like for a better price. Having to spend a lot of money for something does not make it more appealing to me. (Although it does help to keep my favourites in their niche...)

Absolutely, whatever the price.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Question:

Would you prefer:

Large-scale effective boycott resulting in their demise, and return to small scale distributors and retailers?
    Large-scale effective and prideful unionization of all US Wal-Mart employees, resulting in good wages and benefits, still utilizing the benefits of the entity's immense size and trading power?
    I don't shop at Wal-Mart because they scored a 40 (out of 100) on the Human Rights Campaign's (HRC) Corporate Equality Index Survery. If they corrected their discriminatory policies, then maybe I would frequent them. Until then, I will buy my discount Creed at Target.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th July 2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Interesting.

At this link

http://www.hrc.org/issues/best-place...010.htm#Retail

one can find which retail stores are included among those "best to work" in.

Among Walmart's competitors one notices Target, which doesn't even have prices majorly bigger than Walmart.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Interesting.

At this link

http://www.hrc.org/issues/best-place...010.htm#Retail

one can find which retail stores are included among those "best to work" in.

Among Walmart's competitors one notices Target, which doesn't even have prices majorly bigger than Walmart.
    Costco too. Particularly relevant in a discussion of Creed!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bradw View Post
    fast forward 10 years:

Girl: Oh my, is that green irish tweed you're wearing?
    Guy: Well, actually this is cool water
    girl: Cool what?
    lmao

What he said.

.....Say you walked into Wal-Mart...
    I prefer to give my money to others.

Well, I definitely don't agree with others who enjoy spending more because they think that makes them more unique. I don't think I've ever smelled Fendi Uomo on anybody else and i bought my bottle for about $25 a couple of years ago. I also don't think I've ever smelled Yatagan on anybody else. I don't mind paying for Creed ... and SL, etc., etc., but of the four Creeds I own, I only bought one at full retail price. I'd also like to add that it does rub me the wrong way when houses up their prices simply because they want to be in the ranks of the most elite. It has kept me away from Profumum so far, and Olivier Durbano's recent jump from $125 to $200 was pretty obnoxious.

DeepSilence

Nope!
    Creeds are not special for me generally. Also never i didn't get compliment from Creeds that i say, problem is my taste.
    I think price is a policy that Creed want to use it. It doesn't have relation to quality. It's not important how many people can spend their money for Creed. They want to keep Creed on top by price. It doesn't mean that i don't use expensive fragrances. I like to feel luxury!
    I admire Armani for their ingenuity, making simple fragrances and popular, and very good marketing. Armani has been chosen another difficult way.

I really dont mind a bottle of Royal Water for my gf and a bottle of GIT/SMW for myself , altogether for 40 bux !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Blog Entries

Regardless of price, I only purchase those fragrances that move me.

I really don't know how to answer this question. Creed certainly has an appeal like any luxury good. They also have carefully cultivated a mystique that enchants some and annoys many.

I love Creed, I hate their price tags. So the answer to your question is definitely YES.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

But hasn't almost every creed been knocked off by a mainstream house?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Well, I definitely don't agree with others who enjoy spending more because they think that makes them more unique. I don't think I've ever smelled Fendi Uomo on anybody else and i bought my bottle for about $25 a couple of years ago. I also don't think I've ever smelled Yatagan on anybody else. I don't mind paying for Creed ... and SL, etc., etc., but of the four Creeds I own, I only bought one at full retail price. I'd also like to add that it does rub me the wrong way when houses up their prices simply because they want to be in the ranks of the most elite. It has kept me away from Profumum so far, and Olivier Durbano's recent jump from $125 to $200 was pretty obnoxious.
    Exactly. I could wear something like Horizon which doesn't really smell like anything else for 20 bucks. Or if I wanted to spend a little more, I could get TdH or Fahrenheit for under 75, still a fraction of the price of Creeds.

Believe it or not, Creed fragrances are becoming less and less exclusive, would this mean a decline in their regular buyers? I was playing a game online the other day, and in one of the chat rooms on there, 2 young men.. and I do mean young, one was 14, were talking about Creed fragrances. Of course i had to get into the fragrance topic then and threw them all off track and lost them, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    No, because on me the longevity and projection is almost nil.
    I think that's mostly due to the Creeds you've tried (according to your wardrobe). Many Creeds have no problem with projection or longevity, I can get well over 12 hours with many of them.

Blog Entries

Nah, i wouldn't wear it at all. I'd buy it and sell it for much more!

Regardless of price tag, i wouldn't wear it. Natural ingredients? Expires faster. Disgusting price tags? It's just cologne... Lack of gourmands? Thats minus 100000 points for me lol. None of their frags are even remotely appealing to me. I'm perfectly happy in my designer fragrance world.

I think Creed have a knack for showing their quality in their fragrances. I couldn't tell you if they truly DO use the highest quality ingredients, but IMO, Creed smell like some of the highest quality fragrances you can get your hands on. They just reek of opulence.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Joe, I've got a question for you. What employee policies are you referencing? I really don't mean to derail this thread too much. But, my brother works at Walmart as a part-time employee for 2 years now, and, honestly, it's shocking how good the benefits they get are. I've worked at some very highly respected corporations both as a full-time and part-time employee, that are constantly ranked as some of the best company benefit packages, and the stuff they give my brother is trumps mine easily.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Joe, I've got a question for you. What employee policies are you referencing? I really don't mean to derail this thread too much. But, my brother works at Walmart as a part-time employee for 2 years now, and, honestly, it's shocking how good the benefits they get are. I've worked at some very highly respected corporations both as a full-time and part-time employee, that are constantly ranked as some of the best company benefit packages, and the stuff they give my brother is trumps mine easily.
    Isn't the controversy about Walmart more centered on how their pricing policies can crush the businesses they work with? That said, whenever I am in America I go to Walmart, I just love to look at the crazy poeple this store seems to attract, especially in the wee hours. If you want to know what I mean, visit:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

As a warning - It's a pretty voyeuristic website and might upset some people.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart because they scored a 40 (out of 100) on the Human Rights Campaign's (HRC) Corporate Equality Index Survery. If they corrected their discriminatory policies, then maybe I would frequent them. Until then, I will buy my discount Creed at Target.
    Sorry, I didn't read this post before posting mine regarding which policies you were talking about. Really? I honestly didn't know this, nor would I ever guess Walmart had discriminatory policies. If anything I'd think they'd score incredibly high for their diversity. Every WalMart I've ever been in, including my brothers, has an immense amount of diversity (race,gender and age), not to mention they constantly employ both physically and mentally handicapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    Isn't the controversy about Walmart more centered on how their pricing policies can crush the businesses they work with? That said, whenever I am in America I go to Walmart, I just love to look at the crazy poeple this store seems to attract, especially in the wee hours. If you want to know what I mean, visit:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

As a warning - It's a pretty voyeuristic website and might upset some people.
    THIS, I can get behind. Their pricing policies CAN crush other companies and I've seen it happen. However, perhaps a major weakness they have because of what they have become, is that they can't carry a LOT of anything, only a little of everything. Thus, they become a quick one-stop shop for most things, but if you are ever looking for a lot of variety of ANYTHING (in my case dvds are a perfect example) Walmart isn't the place you're going to find it, for that I prefer a place like Best Buy (or online of course).

....... They were 95% cheaper?.
    What a strange question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post

=X *fuel on the fire*

And maybe. Creed is ok, I despise their marketing/"aura of prestige" but they aren't overall bad . . .
    Oh stop being silly. Did you know that Santa Clause, Grey Aliens, Jesus Christ, AND Luke Skywalker ALL wore Creeds? I crap you not.

I don't get the attraction. I have yet to come across a Creed that I enjoy. However, Strangely, i think I might try harder if they were cheaper- weird, huh?
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Yes of course. I would have been able to make purchases without thinking hard and/or plan my purchases. And I love variety in fragrances so lower prices I'll buy more.

It seems to me that most people who are highly enthusiastic about many Creed scents, have at least a couple that they dislike.

So I think people actually like the juice that they say they like.

Blog Entries

I feel like theres a psychology behind buying expensive stuff. If your mind is being told its high quality, natural, best ingredients, youre gunna believe that it DOES small better. Albeit true, is it ENOUGH where its worth another 100+ dollars? some will say yes, but me? heeeeeck no.

to me, its kinda like wine. the price ranges reach a point where its kinda like "okay, is it REALLY worth it?" like i said, to some yes. But for a casual cologne wearer such as myself, not at all

[QUOTE=Neurosis;1890641to me, its kinda like wine. the price ranges reach a point where its kinda like "okay, is it REALLY worth it?" like i said, to some yes.[/QUOTE]

You likely don't drink much wine. There's a huge difference.

I really wish they sold Creed GIT for 20 cents cheaper than Cool Water so I could read one thousand postings that all said GIT was wayyyyyyyy better than Cool Water and that Cool Water wasn't worth the extra 20 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I don't want to speak for anybody, but I believe he was referring to their vehement anti-union policies (see The High Cost of Low Price). That's one of the reasons I don't shop there, in addition to their business model, which puts mom and pop shops out of business and leaves smaller cities and towns with a streamlined (to put it politely) selection of goods. That's not really on topic for this forum, but the documentary I mentioned is worth a gander if you're interested.

To the OP's question....there's a $22/4oz Demeter that is among my favourites, so yeah, I would. That said, I probably wouldn't try this $15 cologne in the first place until somebody on this forum raved about it, peeking my curiosity.

Blog Entries

Appreciation. The word has meaning. I used to only appreciate wine to the point of $6, then maybe $10, and recently up to $20. But I don't drink much, or often, so "casual" is pretty much what kind of a wine drinker I am. I don't truly appreciate the finest wines, and it would be folly for me to pay for something I'm not capable of appreciating. I don't appreciate sporty cars, or even really good vehicles. I appreciate durable trucks, and also cheap, rugged ones. I'm not about to buy something there that I can't really appreciate.

I am NOT a casual cologne user. And that has upped my spending limits, growing right along with my appreciation.

Appreciation has to be personal. I agree - I would NOT spend an extra hundred for a cologne that I don't love down to the point of every nuance (unless it was for splitting, sale or olfactory analysis). But with Creed's lineup, there are easily several fragrances that fall into that region. Ditto Hermès and Guerlain.

Wish I loved Cool Water better than GIT - but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I feel like theres a psychology behind buying expensive stuff. If your mind is being told its high quality, natural, best ingredients, youre gunna believe that it DOES small better. Albeit true, is it ENOUGH where its worth another 100+ dollars? some will say yes, but me? heeeeeck no.

to me, its kinda like wine. the price ranges reach a point where its kinda like "okay, is it REALLY worth it?" like i said, to some yes. But for a casual cologne wearer such as myself, not at all
    Stanford did a fascinating study on price perception and pleasure. Subjects were given two wines and told their prices, one much more expensive than the other. Not only were the more expensive wines ranked higher but MRI scans showed increased neural activity in a pleasure center of the brain; people didn't award more marks to the expensive wine because they assumed a correlation between price and quality but because they genuinely enjoyed them more. The punchline, obviously, is that they were the same wines.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9849949-39.html.

So even if the perfume doesn't smell any better than a cheaper version, we would experience more genuine pleasure from the price alone. You could attribute it to the (in this case mistaken) perception of higher quality but the pleasure would still be there. It explains a great deal about niche and designer products.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 26th July 2010 at 04:25 AM.