Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 97 of 97
  1. #61

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    There's not much of a snob factor for me personally. (No one where I live even wears cologne) I'd own alot more of them I know.

  2. #62
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Stanford did a fascinating study on price perception and pleasure. Subjects were given two wines and told their prices, one much more expensive than the other. Not only were the more expensive wines ranked higher but MRI scans showed increased neural activity in a pleasure center of the brain; people didn't award more marks to the expensive wine because they assumed a correlation between price and quality but because they genuinely enjoyed them more. The punchline, obviously, is that they were the same wines.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9849949-39.html.

    So even if the perfume doesn't smell any better than a cheaper version, we would experience more genuine pleasure from the price alone. You could attribute it to the (in this case mistaken) perception of higher quality but the pleasure would still be there. It explains a great deal about niche and designer products.
    Very interesting! I agree - pleasure is augmented not only by the untrue, but even by the irrelevant, as in the case of my wife enjoying many things better simply because the floors are clean.

    (And although my fellow scientists probably did not really set out to prove it, I think this is a grand demonstration of both the effectiveness of lies, and the willingness of scientists to engage in immoral behavior "for the sake of science". )
    * * * *

  3. #63

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    When things are cheap I tend to go overboard in "collecting them" by this I mean buying thing I just think are "meh"

    (my way to large nail polish collection is a living testament to this)

    So I personally would probably just stick to my favorite and not just buy for "collecting"
    sake
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

    -Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

  4. #64

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    I agree with hose commenting on the feel from the more expensive things. Simply mind over matter. There are always exceptions to the rules, beautiful fragrances made exclusively and sold at far higher prices, but how much is too much? I disagree with Rednecks view on things. I think as being more the connoisseur, we know where we can find what we love at lower prices, unlike the typical average Joe who goes to the mall and blows 80 bucks on something you can get at TJ Maxx for 20. And, with me, at least now, with a collection of 60+ and growing and growing, I would be completely broke if i were purchasing 100-250 dollar fragrances each time.

  5. #65
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,554

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    If I like a fragrance, I don't like it more because it is expensive nor would I like it less if it's cheaper. I just like it & would wear it. If it is 95% cheaper, I'd get a full bottle. But at the regular price, a decant will do just as nicely. It's just cologne.

    But Zizanioides highlighted an interesting finding (thank you). It is one of the things that drive the luxury goods market. Probably the same reason why the women 'ooh' and 'aah' over a pair of Jimmy Choo's ankle-breakers...

  6. #66

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    The only one I'd buy is BDP. The rest are crap to my nose
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

  7. #67

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    ++++
    Last edited by Ekove; 26th July 2010 at 03:24 PM.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    95% cheaper is a little exaggerated. Of course anybody would buy them if they cost that little. But assuming they cost about 50%, I would still say maybe.

    Before I tried creed, I was given the impression that while creeds are not necessarily unique, they were the top in their respective categories by how well they were done and how strong they are. But when I tried them I found them to be quite average and I'm yet to be impressed by one of them (I still have high hopes for Erolfa, but can't find a sample)

    It seems to me it's really a price and reputation thing. Creed's name and price make it easier for people to have something special and unique on, or give the impression of that. By no means I'm trying to say all creed fans don't genuinely find them superior, but a very good chunk of them. A classic discussion of creed vs cheaper brands is Cool Water and GIT, while I like neither in the first place to get into that one, most people would agree that it's really hard to tell the difference, and no matter how creed fans slice it, I really doubt anybody who thinks GIT is 10% better than Cool Water would pay 10 times the price just for a hardly noticeable improvement. It's definitely the "feeling" people pay for.

    In general, as a perfume house, I wouldn't regularly buy from creed even if they were cheaper, since as I said, they're quite averaged if I'd compare them to Chanel, Guerlain, Thierry Muglar or even YSL who in my opinion make quality perfumes regularly, at an average price, except for Chanel maybe.

    I gotta give creed one very big + though in the fact they don't release pointless limited variations of their top sellers every season (as far as I know). Also, I do myself understand the whole creed thing. I buy Narcisso Rodriguez perfumes myself because they're slightly price and not all that common even though there are things in my wishlist which are cheaper and as good if not better, only because NR are not all that common where I live, and not anybody is willing to pay that little extra $ for a house that's not very famous yet.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    I would never say that Creed was crap , maybe a little overrated but never crap . I have a nice group of samples which I enjoy but still not 100% convinved that any are fbw really but maybe that will change with time

  10. #70

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Somewhat indirectly related to the discussion, a Sephora opened recently in my neck of the woods... so there's a good place to sample some almost-niche + good designer stuff...

    Yesterday I re-sniffed for the first time in years Chanel's Pour Monsieur.

    My goodness, what an insult to perfume lovers. I understand that many Chanel formulas have been modified/cheapened/weakened but even so...

    Three minutes of pleasant, acceptable (not illustrious) citrusy/elegant top notes followed by one hour of the most banal quasi-"gourmand" notes imaginable followed by... nothing.

    In my departed youth, nobody knew of Creed and Chanel was an epitome of class, luxury, and guaranteed quality.

    No, Creed as it is is not expensive imho. For my money, buying things which are both weak and (much more important) ordinary in quality is what is "expensive".

  11. #71

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If I like a fragrance, I don't like it more because it is expensive nor would I like it less if it's cheaper. I just like it & would wear it. If it is 95% cheaper, I'd get a full bottle. But at the regular price, a decant will do just as nicely. It's just cologne.
    Well said.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

  12. #72

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    I don't want to speak for anybody, but I believe he was referring to their vehement anti-union policies (see The High Cost of Low Price). That's one of the reasons I don't shop there, in addition to their business model, which puts mom and pop shops out of business and leaves smaller cities and towns with a streamlined (to put it politely) selection of goods. That's not really on topic for this forum, but the documentary I mentioned is worth a gander if you're interested.

    To the OP's question....there's a $22/4oz Demeter that is among my favourites, so yeah, I would. That said, I probably wouldn't try this $15 cologne in the first place until somebody on this forum raved about it, peeking my curiosity.
    I'm glad they are anti-union. Nothing good has ever come from a union in the last 50 years. All it does is artificially raise the price of labor, effectively distorting each job's market value, and creating more unemployment.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  13. #73

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Appreciation. The word has meaning. I used to only appreciate wine to the point of $6, then maybe $10, and recently up to $20. But I don't drink much, or often, so "casual" is pretty much what kind of a wine drinker I am. I don't truly appreciate the finest wines, and it would be folly for me to pay for something I'm not capable of appreciating. I don't appreciate sporty cars, or even really good vehicles. I appreciate durable trucks, and also cheap, rugged ones. I'm not about to buy something there that I can't really appreciate.

    I am NOT a casual cologne user. And that has upped my spending limits, growing right along with my appreciation.

    Appreciation has to be personal. I agree - I would NOT spend an extra hundred for a cologne that I don't love down to the point of every nuance (unless it was for splitting, sale or olfactory analysis). But with Creed's lineup, there are easily several fragrances that fall into that region. Ditto Hermès and Guerlain.

    Wish I loved Cool Water better than GIT - but I don't.
    Whew, that was a good one. I wish I had written that!



    Also, I'd just like to point out that we already have perfumes available that are just as good, on almost every level, as Creed, for about 10% of Creed retail prices. These fragrances are from Caron, a house with very little snob appeal. Even without that luxury aura, it's very popular here for quality alone. I suspect that if Creed were available for vastly less money, it would be viewed in a very similar way as Caron.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  14. #74
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    These fragrances are from Caron, a house with very little snob appeal. Even without that luxury aura, it's very popular here for quality alone. I suspect that if Creed were available for vastly less money, it would be viewed in a very similar way as Caron.
    Thanks! And I think that's right - a Creed fallen out of popularity and onto hard times would probably resemble Caron. A bunch of mysteriously good frags available at curiously good prices, although a few of them would be reformulated to the point of horror.

    The best part about Caron is that their masculines have weathered the storm nicely, and are relatively undamaged by modernization. Yatagan still rocks very close to the vintage formulations, and Third Man is actually more day-wearable than Guerlain's Derby, which it resembles. Pour un Homme is next on my list. I only wish Caron's masculine lineup was more extensive.

    A thin lineup is, also, what would likely happen to Creed gone unpopular. Something would have to give as the prices fell, and it would probably be the depth of the lineup and some formulations.

    I think Rochas and Lubin might be viewed as similar to Caron in some ways. Rochas tends to have excellent prices and reasonable presence at discounters. Lubin comes across like Rochas, but (unfortunately) prices seem to have stayed high. I think both houses have some excellent frags and non-snooty images. Still, for the money, Caron is outrageously good. Third Man is pretty damn close to timeless, and extremely wearable.

    In spite of the prices, I'm quite glad that Creed is doing well. It's pretty hard to innovate otherwise. Caron isn't exactly busting down the doors with new entries and limited editions.
    * * * *

  15. #75

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Stanford did a fascinating study on price perception and pleasure. Subjects were given two wines and told their prices, one much more expensive than the other. Not only were the more expensive wines ranked higher but MRI scans showed increased neural activity in a pleasure center of the brain; people didn't award more marks to the expensive wine because they assumed a correlation between price and quality but because they genuinely enjoyed them more. The punchline, obviously, is that they were the same wines.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9849949-39.html.

    So even if the perfume doesn't smell any better than a cheaper version, we would experience more genuine pleasure from the price alone. You could attribute it to the (in this case mistaken) perception of higher quality but the pleasure would still be there. It explains a great deal about niche and designer products.
    I'll tell you what though. I really don't want to like Creed. Their whole "ministry of truth" thing annoys me to no end. I'd much prefer to like the stuff of the other niche (and way overpriced) houses like MPG, Malle, Lutens, L'Artisan, Montale, Amouage, but the fact remains that Creed makes a damn fine fragrance. I sit on my positive feelings for Creeds for a long while before I write that review because I'm just looking for a reason to NOT like it. And I doubly hate the whole perfumers-get-no-credit crap.

    So yeah, I really like a lot of the Creeds and I REALLY don't want to. Explain THAT.

    ...and Carvin Homme rules!

  16. #76

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Hell yeah .. $25 for a full bottle of world class fragrances such as Selection Verte, GIT, Fleurs de Bulgarie, Citrus Bigarade, Neroli Sauvage, Royal Scottish Lavender, Imperial, SMW, ViW, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome etc. and each one of them one of the best or near the top in their respective fragrance genres. Its a star studded line-up and at such a low cost, if you don't like even a single one these then you are probably just being an overly anti-Creed perfume hater..
    -

  17. #77

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    No because everyone else would wear them. I like being unique and being exclusive and having a high price helps with that.
    indeed!
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"


    -- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

  18. #78
    Dependent Wit_Siamese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Posts
    1,821
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    No, because it would be more popular and they would use cheaper ingredients.

    People buy niche because they want to feel prestige, furthermore they use higher quality ingredients and more exclusive --it is harder to run into someone who wear the same niche you wear.

    But if they can keep the same quality at that price, I might buy all creed fragrances there because I like the scents.

    Creed is a niche, but it is not that unique, there are many designer fragrance that smell close to Creed fragrance, but Creed gives you higher quality ingredients and more natural, many designer fragrance use synthetic ingredients.
    Last edited by Wit_Siamese; 7th November 2011 at 04:47 AM.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

    -------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

  19. #79

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    I would for sure, I like a few that I just can't part with the cash for. The few I have are very nice and I would expand by quite a bit if it were half off or more.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

  20. #80

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    For me, there are some Creed fragrances that are unique and appeal to my fragrance tastes. This uniqueness could constitute higher and somewhat unrealistic price structures solely based on high quality materials and availability or those materials. Does this currently hold true for Creed based on the last few releases, who knows. I would be interested in a GIT release aimed at the $29.95 price point just to see with what Creed would come up with. Somehow I think it might push Erwin outside his comfort zone of Royal this and Royal that.
    - Expect the unexpected

  21. #81

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    At $20, no. I must say that the Creed house, its history, prestige, exclusivity, reputation, and price are all part of the appeal to me. I can't say Id give it a second look if it were cheap enough to hang out in Wal-Mart.

  22. #82

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    No because everyone else would wear them. I like being unique and being exclusive and having a high price helps with that.
    An honest answer.

    It would be interesting if we selected fragrances based only on smell - without knowing the brand, name of the scent, or hearing any reviews. I wonder how many of the fragrances we currently have in our wardrobes would be the same.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 7th November 2011 at 04:11 AM.

  23. #83

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Very civilized and thoughtful responses from a "What if Creed was $20" thread!

  24. #84

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Dumb question. Of course I would wear them if they were cheaper. I already do now, so why wouldn't I if they were less expensive?
    Current top 10:

    1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

  25. #85

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Dumb question. Of course I would wear them if they were cheaper. I already do now, so why wouldn't I if they were less expensive?
    Because if they were cheaper, your average Joe's and all their friends would know exactly what say Aventus is. It would be more commonly worn, as say Curve, or Cool Water. Hence the original post.

    I did start this thread some time ago, when I had tested an array of Creed's and found them to be just average in most categories, the things I look for in a fragrance. So I pondered.. why is Creed the house of god's in the frag community? Is it the exclusiveness? Or something else.. Again, hence the OP

  26. #86
    Dependent mesaboogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    2,928

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    I'd buy the sh*t out of some Creed if it was $20 a pop. I'd use GIT as a bathroom air freshener and Millesime Imperial as a door stop. I'd spray Aventus like it was Febreeze.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

    Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

  27. #87
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    I'm stocking up on Aventus like it is $20

    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  28. #88
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Cologneist: I would still love and enjoy my Creeds if they were $20. However, as has been mentioned, if they became so common that every other person would be wearing them, then my answer would probably be NO. I wouldn't enjoy wearing something that everyone is wearing. Isn't that the argument around here against aquatic/blue/sport fragrances anyway?

    Actually, in my wardrobe I DO have $20 (and less) fragrances side by side with my Creeds and I still enjoy them...

  29. #89
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    641

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    I would be happy to buy Creeds for $20.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  30. #90

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Absolutely! If Creed was 95% cheaper, i'd buy 10 bottles of Aventus and do away with the rest of my collection!

  31. #91

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Short answer:

    "Yes"

    Long answer:

    "Yes I would"

  32. #92

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Good question, it would depend on a couple of factors. If Creed fragrances could be produced to the same standard as they are now, for $20 dollars, it would be hard not to buy them.
    I find that many of the heavily touted cheapies here on BNs still live in relative obscurity and are therefore not all that popular with the general consumer. If Creed could sell at the same quality and still retain its obscurity, for $20, then hell yeah, but if the price made it so popular that everybody would wear them, definitely not.

  33. #93
    Basenotes Junkie gabeinstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Clinton, MA
    Posts
    814

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    No because everyone else would wear them. I like being unique and being exclusive and having a high price helps with that.
    +10

  34. #94

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    I'd give them a shot at $20 a bottle. I've tried some copies around that price point, and they were close enough to make me happy. No issues with batch variation, and I'm not left wondering what I could've done with the other $150 or so. There are other houses for which I am more willing to part with that sort of money.

  35. #95

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Yes, chances that I would wear Creed would be much higher then.

  36. #96
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,808

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    No. But only because I don't shop at Wal-Mart, due to their employee policies.
    If they were on amazon for 20 bucks i would get at least a bottle of each.

  37. #97

    Default Re: Would you wear Creed if......

    I would definitely own more Creeds if they were significantly cheaper, yes. While I would be turned off by any scent that is ubiquitous, I doubt any of the Creeds (save perhaps Aventus) would reach the popularity overload of scents like Le Male or AdG.

Similar Threads

  1. For casual wear, street wear (i.e. jeans) ?
    By Borky in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 31st December 2012, 01:54 PM
  2. If I like to wear Hermes Rocabar, what else will I like to wear?
    By auee in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24th May 2012, 11:38 PM
  3. What do you wear when you can't decide what to wear?
    By CologneJunkie in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 4th October 2011, 02:47 AM
  4. Need advice on what to wear and how to wear a fragrance around ppl who hate perfume
    By bashful_in_newyork in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 7th March 2011, 07:24 PM
  5. Do you wear your CREED frags often?
    By shamu1 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 16th July 2010, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000