Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Do You Wear Purely For Your Own Enjoyment, while you are alone...?

Maybe it's a stinker, maybe it's something too strange or avant garde for other people, too complicated or perhaps it has such an intense personal meaning or association that you don't like to share the experience... perhaps you like to wear it for meditative reasons, because it calms you or soothes you... Maybe it's too beautiful or perhaps a little feminine or even embarrassing for some reason.

What perfume/cologne do you wear purely for your own enjoyment when you know you'll have time to be alone?

For me it's Rose Ikebana from the Hermessence range. I wear it when I have some spare time alone because it's so light and faint that I need to concentrate on it to really enjoy it, but in doing so I feel incredibly rewarded by how cleansing and delicate it is. I also think it's a touch too feminine on me, which actually doesn't bother me (I wear things which I'm sure are much more feminine in company from time to time) but this a different kind of feminine, it reminds me very much of a special kind of young woman and I enjoy following her in my imagination while I chase Rose Ikebana on my skin. There's also something intensely peaceful and joyful about the zing and fizz of Rhubarb and Prosecco and Roses in RI which I find really mentally refreshing and I like the sense of gentle invigoration RI imparts to me when ever I get a rare chunk of spare time alone to wear it.

Default Re: What Do You Wear Purely For Your Own Enjoyment, all alone...?

Probably Caron Pour un Homme.

Tubereuse Criminelle and Carnal Flower. they're both too femme for my particular style of casual dress, so I just get samples of them and wear them occasionally by myself. I love Tuberose, after falling in love with Windsor, am looking for another masculine fragrance which uses Tuberose well.

I've tried Richard james Savile Row and Washington Tremlett Black Tie, and those aren't quite it.

on the flipside, there are resinous evergreen scents I find too oldschool, but love to wear by myself....Hermes Rocabar, Creed's Epicea, Marc jacobs bang. I'm working on a better version of the aspects of those three I like, combined into a more contemporary scent.

pure oud oils from India

Leather Oud because the first lady hates it.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Almost anything in my wardrobe, any scent in may wardrobe may become my SOTD.

ambre sultan, egoiste

Indian oud oils, some more animalic Cambodian ouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Almost anything in my wardrobe, any scent in may wardrobe may become my SOTD.
    Same here.

English Leather, Brut & Old Spice (not at the same time). Basically dime store colognes because I always feel the need to wear a cologne or I'll feel naked. It's part of my daily routine. And yes, I truly enjoy them.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Yatagan

Shalimar

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Tubereuse Criminelle and Carnal Flower. they're both too femme for my particular style of casual dress, so I just get samples of them and wear them occasionally by myself. I love Tuberose, after falling in love with Windsor, am looking for another masculine fragrance which uses Tuberose well.
    Welcome to the tuberose freaks club!
    I personally am not ashamed to wear Carnal Flower in public, rather very proud of it! Jasmine is a very traditional smell here in Spain, and thus tuberose fits the bill as well, I believe.
    Dullah, you might want to give PG's Tubereuse Couture a try. It's a bit more candy-like, but as to your private pleasure, I think you may be very satisfied.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

idk, when i am at home maybe issey summer 2009 or something, though mostly i use that as a fart spray. Other than that I don't think I wear stuff at home unless I am giving samples a try.

Sur la Plage

All of my scents are fair game to be worn in public.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

There's nothing in your collection which is for any reason an entirely private pleasure then?

Borneo and Burmese Oud Oils.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    There's nothing which in your collection which is for any reason an entirely private pleasure then?
    No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Shalimar
    Ah, plus one. People WILL give me strange looks if I wear this. I do thoroughly enjoy it though.
    "The most beautiful sea hasn’t been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasn’t grown up yet. The most beautiful days we haven’t seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I haven’t said yet…"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

Bellodgia

Same as Petruccijc, but I find that I usually wear Fracas and AG Songes to bed!

Caron's En Avion extrait. I find it is so feminine that it is challenging to wear around others. The only fragrance about which I have felt this. Shalimar, Mitsouko, etc, are all unchallenging in comparison.

I haven't had any complaints about my fragrances, but I do love wearing New Haarlem and Pure Malt.

I wear all mine at any time. Creed Erolfa is just for me, though.

Midnight in paris I don't own it but if I get it I may not wear it in public that much....

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Threads View Post
    Yatagan
    This guy

Banned

Do you mean a feminine perfume? Gucci By Gucci.

I ONLY wear scents for my own pleasure, at home or in public. Why else would you wear them? There are relatively few I wear at work but otherwise I wear anything I want whenever I feel like it.

Banned

I'd say this.

Everything I wear is for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    I ONLY wear scents for my own pleasure, at home or in public. Why else would you wear them? There are relatively few I wear at work but otherwise I wear anything I want whenever I feel like it.
    Well yes, one wears a perfume for one's own pleasure, but it's nice on the whole to think that others around you may be enjoying how you smell too.

That's why I stipulated "purely" for your own pleasure, which is to say without any regard for the pleasure of anyone else, and of course one might wear such a fragrance alone (or one might not) that was the basis of my inquiry.

Secretions Magnifiques. I prefer not to inflict it on the public, so I enjoy it when I'm alone.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by mcurtiss View Post
    Everything I wear is for myself.
    Well naturally My question was whether or not there might be any perfume you wear for your own private pleasure which you tend not to like to share with anyone else, meaning you would only tend to wear it when you are alone.

Banned

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    pure oud oils from India
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Indian oud oils, some more animalic Cambodian ouds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Borneo and Burmese Oud Oils.
    All of these, as well as Tubéreuse Criminelle. The ouds because I don't want to be bothered by the world as I sit back and marvel, and TC because it's mostly tiger balm on me, takes for ever to transition to the tuberose.

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    All of these, as well as Tubéreuse Criminelle. The ouds because I don't want to be bothered by the world as I sit back and marvel, and TC because it's mostly tiger balm on me, takes for ever to transition to the tuberose.
    Oh I can completely relate to not wanting to be bothered while you just relax and marvel at a truly complex and spectacular perfume, I get samples of Oud Shamash by The Different Company from time to time (though I think it's synthetic Oud mind you) and just douse myself in it when I have some time to myself, I find it kinda inspiring too so if I'm working alone I sometimes wear it then too.

Bijan - Wife hates it...and so does my 'work spouse' and other female co-workers. I wear it on Saturday morning at the local pancake joint. The waitresses LOVE it - as do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    Well yes, one wears a perfume for one's own pleasure, but it's nice on the whole to think that others around you may be enjoying how you smell too.

That's why I stipulated "purely" for your own pleasure, which is to say without any regard for the pleasure of anyone else, and of course one might wear such a fragrance alone (or one might not) that was the basis of my inquiry.
    As I said, I wear a fairly small subset of my wardrobe at work and I do choose a scent specifically to go with a special occasion when one comes up but otherwise there's nothing I own that I consider unwearable in public or that I would wear ONLY when alone. I've even worn Black Orchid to the gym, where it was complemented. I seem to wear scents pretty lightly and no one has ever complained or made negative comments about what I was wearing.

I think the big step is wearing a scent vs. not wearing one. Once you have made the decision to wear one, why worry?

Default Re: What Do You Wear Purely For Your Own Enjoyment, while you are alone...?

Anything I own has been worn in public. My practical side won't let me buy a scent just to wear at home...

As I said, I wear a fairly small subset of my wardrobe at work and I do choose a scent specifically to go with a special occasion when one comes up but otherwise there's nothing I own that I consider unwearable in public. I've even worn Black Orchid to the gym, where it was complemented. I seem to wear scents pretty lightly and no one has ever complained or made negative comments about what I was wearing.

I think the big step is wearing a scent vs. not wearing one. Once you have made the decision to wear one, why worry?

Well it's not about "worry" per se, but as per my OP there might be a whole range of other reasons you might choose to wear a perfume while alone which have nothing to do with whether or not others will appreciate it or not, such as wanting to contemplate a particularly wonderful and complex composition in solitude, or alternatively there might be a particular perfume which suits solitude or the mood engendered by solitude. Obviously these aren't a factor for you which is also great!
    Last edited by Hilaire; 6th June 2012 at 03:45 AM.

+1.

Banned

Default Re: What Do You Wear Purely For Your Own Enjoyment, while you are alone...?

Pi by Givenchy

Basenotes Plus

Yatagan and Moustache - quite strong in public
    Carnal Flower & Narciso Rodriguez for Her - Buddies said "Yummy"...lol.
    Tea for Two - Mom's signature scent

The list goes on......

CREED Feuilles Vertes

+1 on this.

I wear anything I want in public if it strikes my fancy. All of my fragrances are a pleasure to me.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by UKisGR8 View Post
    English Leather, Brut & Old Spice (not at the same time). Basically dime store colognes because I always feel the need to wear a cologne or I'll feel naked. It's part of my daily routine. And yes, I truly enjoy them.

Why NOT wear Brut & Old spice at the same time?

Mkk.

Basenotes Plus

If I really love a fragrance but also feel it's on the feminine side I tend not to wear it out in public. Nuda. Santal Blush. Santal Massoia. Taylor Swift Wonderstruck.

Just kidding on the last one. I wear that everywhere. Can't help myself.

I usually chose to wear a perfume I haven't worn in a while if I'm just at home.

Everything I wear is for own enjoyment however as long as I enjoy it I'll wear it out and people have to deal with it no matter whether they like it or not

Most of my scents from Slumberhouse. I enjoy wearing them at home to appreciate their day long evolution, but I hesitate to wear them out since they are projection monsters that folks may find unappealing.

A and AB by Blood Concept because I love the smell but I get weird looks when I wear them out. Plus, the wife hates them.
    Boyfriend by Kate Walsh

Sound Scents

I would wear the same things I wear in public.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Molinard Vanille. More of an after shower/relaxing at home treat than something I'd wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Everything I wear is for own enjoyment however as long as I enjoy it I'll wear it out and people have to deal with it no matter whether they like it or not
    This...........

Fumidus - I don't think the general public would enjoy it.

Just about everynight that I am staying in I spray a couple of sprays of Drakkar Noir after the shower. Never wear it out, only at home so I can smell it. It is my favorite all time scent and it reminds me of middle school lol.

L'Heure Bleue!

Lipstick and fishnet stockings...

Oud oils mainly. I can't think of any fragrances that fit this category for me.