Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Vetyver by Roger & Gallet

It's called, 'Vetyver Fresh Fragrant Water Splash' on the bottle, which seems to infer that this is a very light, transparent, splash on, eaux-cologne-sort-of fragrance.

Who has tried it? Perhaps combined with the scent of the soap, the scent might stick?

Default Re: Vetyver by Roger & Gallet

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's called, 'Vetyver Fresh Fragrant Water Splash' on the bottle, which seems to infer that this is a very light, transparent, splash on, eaux-cologne-sort-of fragrance.

Who has tried it? Perhaps combined with the scent of the soap, the scent might stick?
    It is just that Mike.A light transparent Vetyver cologne. Citrus along with Rosemary, and Neroli dominate the top of this fragrance. The heart of this fragrance is dominated by Orris, and Carnation, along with a few other notes, The drydown is where the Vetyver comes into play along with Amber a hint of Musk, and Oakmoss. The Vetyver is well hidden, and I always viewed this as more os a Citrus dominated fragrance, with a light woody dry-down. A light summer refresher after a shower, that if fleeting, but enjoyable while it does last. This is discontinued, as is their Vetyver soap, which by the way was a fairly decent Vetyver soap, the soap I might go out of my way to find before It drys up completely. I don't feel the same about the Cologne though.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I can only comment on the cologne, also the shower gel and round bath soap. I find these to be good products: inexpensive, deliver vetiver notes, dry, medium duration. The fact that there are associated products is nice for layering. I don't think this has been discontinued in Canada.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I have the cologne, and I'm very fond of it. I am a fan of R&G products, especially the older, vintage models. This one is worth tracking down if you like vetiver. It strikes me as pure, fresh, and linear - all in a good way. Recommended for vetiver fans. And get the other older R&Gs before they disappear, too. I love Lavande Royale as well, and I am totally in love with Extra Vielle/Jean Marie Farina EdC.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys.

Is there any emolliency to the R&G juice (you know...like the discontinued (vintage) Guerlain Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash)?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is there any emolliency to the R&G juice (you know...like the discontinued (vintage) Guerlain Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash)?
    I find it has a certain soothing quality. R&G colognes are sometimes criticized for not having strong longevity, but if you're in the mood for light, refreshing, short-lived, that can be a good thing. It is in this case. There's a certain retro/barbershop vibe here that I find quite soothing. It's a smooth vetiver, with a fine, linear dry down.

Basenotes Institution

mrcologneguy and the others who have replied to this thread: Do you have the Eau de Cologne or the Fresh Fragrant Water Splash? I see they are separate items with different bottles/packaging.

The one I am particularly interested in at this time is the Fresh Fragrant Water Splash.

Hi mike, I hear you on the distinction. I am commenting on the cologne, which I've had for three years. Green and white box, EdC. Notes as listed on box: ctirus, vetyver, spices, wood, balsam.
    I'm not familiar with the "Fragrant Water Splash" but like many I'd assume it was a weaker concentration than the EdC. My bottle is 100 ml, usually these splashes come in a larger format.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I also own the cologne, and agree with the others. It is a light, citrusy, cologne type fragrance. There is a vetiver note, but to me it isn't all that strong, being part of the overall blend.

I have no experience with the soap or the Fragrant Water Splash, but like Ody, would assume that the splash is basically the same as the cologne but perhaps in weaker concentration.

noggs

I have the one called Cologne - in the green box, and stylish green bottle. I posted a review on BN - it's a strong, orangey citrus scent, not at all like the R&G's classic Extra Vielle/Jean Marie Farina EdC. Haven't tried Fragrant Water Splash.

Re: mrcologneguy's post -- the scent called "Cologne" is a neroli- and orange blossom scent. I like it, and agree that it is quite different from the EV/JMF classic EdC which has a citrus and rose blend of notes.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

So, the EdC sounds very light, the FWS sounds almost pointless. Thanks everyone. Perhaps the EdC and a bar of Vetyver soap might be a better choice. I will, though, be moving forward with my eyes open, in that I won't be expecting this to be necessarily too vetiver prominent nor as complex as some of my favorite vetivers I currently own (Guerlain's vintage EdC, EdT & Extreme Sycomore, Fumidus and Route de Vetiver), rather something light, airy and simple.

Perhaps the perfect antidote to the hottest summer on record, no?

Good call for a hot summer. You can get a nice gift set, with EdC and soap, on amazon for around $30. It's a good buy.