Code of Conduct

Thread: Creed epicea

Default Creed epicea

CREED Epicea

Epicea means "spicy", a fitting description for this fragrance worn by a handsome American championship skier renowned in Aspen for his skill on the slopes and romantic prowess apres ski

I did some research and perhaps this guy was Billy Kid, champion skier from the USA. He also had a victory in Aspen in 1968 and since Epicea was made in 1965 it does sound consistent. Oh well just me wondering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kidd

Default Re: Creed epicea

Just got sprayed with Epicea a half hour ago by my Creed rep. Too light for me.

She's making lots of noise about discontinuations...

I was there to renew my relationship with BdP.

It was (is) claimed that the actor Gary Cooper wore Epicea. One reference: http://www.aedes.com/magazine.php

Epicea is the Creed I like least.

I also dislike Epicea, my least fav as well. I love bdp Stylin so i can feel you on that, i got the bottle and samples of it. As for epicea i gave it off to a friend and he hated it too! It is the gift that keeps on giving lol. It has a lot of pine and it smells unpleasant to me it is strong.

In many ways, I hate to pass judgement on those little in store squirts, but I don't see that I would like this one.

Yep, another non-fan of Epicea here. It made my nose say, "That's it?"
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Yep, another non-fan of Epicea here. It made my nose say, "That's it?"
    it made my nose say , " How about a HELL NO!!!!" lmao

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    In many ways, I hate to pass judgement on those little in store squirts, but I don't see that I would like this one.
    Epicea smells like Indian food.

i like eating Indian food. i don't like smelling like Indian food.

Moderate here. Don't love it, but don't abhor it either. There are a couple of Creeds which annoy me. Epicea ain't one.

Blog Entries

Am I the only fan of this fragrance? Oh, well. Seriously - if there is talk of discontinuation, then I may be picking up a bottle. I do NOT want to be left with only memories of this one.

I wore this stuff on vacation a couple of years ago, and it was friggin' awesome for me. Hey, what can I say? There's somebody for every frag.

I often get a kind of celery and/or vegetable vibe from it; not nearly as piney as, say, Z-14. I keep trying to like it, but so far it hasn't knocked me out. Maybe needs more of a road test in chilly weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Am I the only fan of this fragrance? Oh, well. Seriously - if there is talk of discontinuation, then I may be picking up a bottle.
    D'OH! Don't want to start any rumors or runs on Epicea! Epicea was not one of the scents she was referring to as being discontinued. She did specify an older feminine scent named Irisia was being dropped, and was trying to push it on me as a old school scent with a bit of Vintage Tabarome vibe (I was trying in vain to see if she had any hidden old testers of VT).

I'll stick with the "manly" Creeds, but Irisia does have an old vibe to it for sure. A tad too floral for me.

She did imply a rash of stuff was likely going to be phased out, but other than Irisia, gave no details.
    Personally, I've thought for awhile that some of my old style faves from them likely don't sell well and when supplies run out, won't be continued. I'll probably break down and back up REL and Vetiver 48 before year's end.

If you go to the Creed Boutique and see which products they back up with soap, deos, shower gels, or shave soaps- that's likely what's moving.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 25th July 2010 at 04:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Great - thanks for the info! Irisia was mildly interesting, but not nearly enough for me to worry about.

Whew! Temporarily dodging the discontinuation bullet on Epicea.

actually i talked with the boutique and it is being discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Great - thanks for the info! Irisia was mildly interesting, but not nearly enough for me to worry about.

Whew! Temporarily dodging the discontinuation bullet on Epicea.
    Yeah...just sent you a PM! Don't want to freak anybody out.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    actually i talked with the boutique and it is being discontinued
    Double D'OH!

Epicea has a wonderful pine note, and it also contains a dense, very fleshed out cardamom note, some clove and probably other spices. Its an uplifting, spicy scent, certainly an acquired taste, and a unique pine fragrance. In the Creed line only Windsor contains a higher fidelity pine note (but its also more expensive). Complain more about it and Creed will probably discontinue it, and introduce an easier to love fragrance (which then others will complain about), and the cycle will continue..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Epicea has a wonderful pine note, and it also contains a dense, very fleshed out cardamom note, some clove and probably other spices. Its an uplifting, spicy scent, certainly an acquired taste, and a unique pine fragrance. In the Creed line only Windsor contains a higher fidelity pine note (but its also more expensive). Complain more about it and Creed will probably discontinue it, and introduce an easier to love fragrance (which then others will complain about), and the cycle will continue..
    All too true. I am fond of Creed's older, quirkier fragrances, and this one is certainly in that realm. I jumped on a bottle about a year ago, since it just seems like something that Creed will pull from the market soon. It has strong collectibility appeal.

Blog Entries

Alright - thanks for the warning, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    CREED Epicea

Epicea means "spicy",
    I think the following is more accurate:
    (French) epice = spice
    (French) epicea = spruce.
    The Creed fragrance has a coniferous note which I would call spruce.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Complain more about it and Creed will probably discontinue it, and introduce an easier to love fragrance (which then others will complain about), and the cycle will continue.
    I doubt that Creed would make decisions based on scattered complaints on basenotes. I would think actual sale figures would far more impact those decisions.

I count myself as a fan of this fragrance.

I though this was definitely being discontinued along with a few others? ZZ - any good info on this?

I don't like it overall-I like the piney-green-citric opening but it is very brief , I don't like the huge cardamon which follows.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

I love pine, but the two times I've tried it, it gave me a right-between-the-eyes headache and this is the case with Epicea.

I prefer Windsor. Or Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love pine, but the two times I've tried it, it gave me a right-between-the-eyes headache and this is the case with Epicea.

I prefer Windsor. Or Polo.
    I hate to admit it, but I liked Epicea quite a bit after I got it, but now my reaction is similar to yours, Mike. I remember last December, I was going to go get a Christmas tree for the first time in my adult life and I thought Epicea would get me in the mood. It did for a minute, but as it wore on, that pine/cardamom combo was wearing a hole through my skull. I found it suffocating and brutal. It's in some ways a light scent, but that pine note just goes "thwack!" across my head.

The pine is ok in it. The spices remind me of a dental office, for certain or perhaps an apothecary. I'm a fan but don't own a bottle. I prefer windsor to this but it's too expensive.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    The pine is ok in it. The spices remind me of a dental office, for certain or perhaps an apothecary. I'm a fan but don't own a bottle. I prefer windsor to this but it's too expensive.
    Yes, abit like Old potpourri in a dentist's office. Dental/medical sterilizing fumigant is a creed house note I believe. But seriously, I do like Epicea, and I do like the dry cardamom, it tempers the pine's sharpness with it's lower register dry spicyness. like to test it every so often, but don't like it enough to buy.

I prefer Rocabar, Bowling Green, Erolfa and Windsor for my pine notes.

With all this attention on spice, may I reiterate the following.
    From Larousse, the standard French dictionary.
    épicéa
    nom masculin
    (bas latin picea, genre de sapin)
    “Grand arbre conifère voisin du sapin, au tronc rougeâtre, aux aiguilles sans lignes blanches et aux cônes pendants.”
    A large coniferous tree, a relative of the pine, with a red trunk, needles without a white line (a solid green colour) and hanging pinecones.
    In English, “spruce”

In other words, the creedboutique information is incorrect. epicea does not mean spice. There may be spices in it, but it is not labeled as a spicy scent. It is a spruce scent... make of that what we will
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

^Ody, I've heard some even "looser" translations of the name. Glad to hear the final word on this. I certainly think that spruce is what it mostly is, so it makes sense.

I really like Epicea. When I can smell it! Epicea has virtually no sillage on my skin after about an hour, and has terrible staying power. That pine note in Epicea is delightful. I just wish it lasted longer. If it had good projection and longevity, Epicea might have been my holy grail pine fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    With all this attention on spice, may I reiterate the following.
    From Larousse, the standard French dictionary.
    épicéa
    nom masculin
    (bas latin picea, genre de sapin)
    “Grand arbre conifère voisin du sapin, au tronc rougeâtre, aux aiguilles sans lignes blanches et aux cônes pendants.”
    A large coniferous tree, a relative of the pine, with a red trunk, needles without a white line (a solid green colour) and hanging pinecones.
    In English, “spruce”

In other words, the creedboutique information is incorrect. epicea does not mean spice. There may be spices in it, but it is not labeled as a spicy scent. It is a spruce scent... make of that what we will
    What is interesting is that the Creed Boutique lists the coniferous note as 'Russian Pine', not Spruce.

Some sidenotes: I was using the online babelfish translator. Yes, translating épicéa one gets 'spruce'. But if one puts 'spruce' in and goes the other way, out pops 'sapin'. And if one puts 'pine' in, out pops 'pin'.

I wonder if the use of épicéa is in fact a play on words: the word spice embedded in the word spruce.

I recently acquired a bottle of Epicea. I like it a lot, but have the same problem that many others do: it just doesn't seem to last that long.

For the record, I don't smell any spice at all in Epicea, just herbal and pine notes. Therefore, the "spruce" connotation makes sense.

Since they haven't been posted on this thread, here are the notes, per the Creed Boutique website:

Top notes: Bergamot, lavender
    Middle notes: Clove
    Base notes: Russian pine

The write-up also mentions unnamed spices.

For me, I find the spice notes overwhelm the coniferous accord and that is why I am not fond of this one. I prefer my conifers to feel fresh and green.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I wonder if the use of épicéa is in fact a play on words: the word spice embedded in the word spruce.
    I think you are really on to something there. It may be a very clever play on words. That is interesting, and why it is helpful to understand the meaning of the word. That understanding reveals a marketing strategy.
    odysseusm

Blog Entries

What is interesting is that the Creed Boutique lists the coniferous note as 'Russian Pine', not Spruce.

Some sidenotes: I was using the online babelfish translator. Yes, translating épicéa one gets 'spruce'. But if one puts 'spruce' in and goes the other way, out pops 'sapin'. And if one puts 'pine' in, out pops 'pin'.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I think you are really on to something there. It may be a very clever play on words. That is interesting, and why it is helpful to understand the meaning of the word. That understanding reveals a marketing strategy.
    I can't think of a better olfactory description than spice embedded in pine. When they come through in the right proportions to one's nose - great stuff!

It smells like a NY Delicatessen to me. Smells almost like pickling spices.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    It smells like a NY Delicatessen to me. Smells almost like pickling spices.
    Exactly. I'm not getting the strong pine note that I keep reading about. It's more pungent spice/vegetable to me, with only a hint of pine. At first I thought it was just the bottle I have, but I've smelled several samples and testers since and -- same thing. I keep hoping my nose adjusts to it, but so far - NY delicatessen. Yes, that's an apt comparison.

I am a lover of this one. I find most Creed's just annoying - the exceptions being most of the private collection that they have discontinued (which I also find annoying). However, outside of the private collection, Epicea is the most interesting and most enjoyable perfume they make.

I get smidgens of everything everyone has mentioned - vegetal, herbal, even a touch "curry," but mostly I get pine. The lavender gives a nice herbal quality and the bergamot a touch of citrus - the combined effect not unlike fresh coriander. And to me, that's exactly what the two top notes provide, a bit of FRESH-ness, an herbal airiness and the perfect segue to the rest of the notes, especially the pine, which on me is very strong. This isn't "Christmas tree" to me, but this is not unlike the smell of the resin on my hands after handling one.

Saying all that, it is definitely a cold weather fragrance for me - I don't wear it much in spring or fall and never in the summer. I am wearing it today, however, on a relatively arid and frigid December day. There isn't much better for a day like this this.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

It was (is) claimed that the actor Gary Cooper wore Epicea. One reference: http://www.aedes.com/magazine.php

It is stated in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory that Epicea was issued in 1965 by Creed. Gary Cooper died May 13, 1961. He must have been a die hard Epicea addict.
    - Expect the unexpected

Liked it when I tested it, then bought a bottle and after a couple of wearings I changed my mind and I can't see myself using it again. Oh well, ebay here we come...
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Out of the 33 Creed unisex and men's fragrances that exist currently, Epicea is 28th on my list. While the opening is a little bit like lemonade, it fades quickly moving directly to lavender and clove which seems muddled to me. The base note is pine but more like some type of bug repellant or perhaps lemon/pine air freshener. Longevity on my skin was terrible and the dry down was worthy of a good scrubbing.
    Last edited by Flaconneur; 20th December 2010 at 11:38 PM.
    - Expect the unexpected

I love Epicea, it just doesn't last very long on me.

Creed rep whispered to me that it's about to be discontinued. Jump on it if you want collectibility, or actually desire the scent.

Basenotes Plus

The same thing is stated here - yet basenotes says this fragrance was launched in 1965 and Gary Cooper passed away in 1961!
    ...a much requested sample of the evening by a group of over excited perfume lovers who likened it to a 'sexy dungeon with a steak house on the top'. Was I one of that group? Well, yes, and it was my first Perfume Lovers Meetup. What a start.

This is the only fragrance that I could recreate with essential oils.. Bergamot, Pine, Lavender and Clove.. that's it!