Code of Conduct

Default Best Candles for Under $30

I like scented candles, but I am determined not to let them join the long list of things I spend too much money on.

Anyone have any suggestions for excellent, low-cost candles?

FWIW, I currently have a Pacifica Tibetan Mountain Temple soy candle, which I like a lot.

Default Re: Best Candles for Under $30

The Martha Stewart ones you can get at Kmart have pretty good throw. I have a gingerbread one that I keep at my office, I don't even need to burn it, just open the jar for a few minutes and it scents my whole office and smells so good. It's already two years old and still smells just as potent, when i do burn it it's mostly just to watch the flame.

Try Target.

L'Occitane has some candles for under $20 regular price, that are now around $11-12 each.

The W Hotel also sells candles that are $25 retail, but are now 30% off. And they're big and delicious too

Blog Entries

I tried this and liked it so well it was my Christmas gift for the 1/2 doz. or so on my list this year. This is the only scent I've tried but it was very nice lavender, amber and a pretty candle. I love the white glowing in the black glass. It is actually quite large: http://www.candledelirium.com/Aquies...-Woods-Candle/

I think the Woodwick candles are pretty decent. I love the Rum Raisin one, because I think it smells quite a bit like my beloved Ambre Narguilé.

For lower-cost options, see if you can check out a TJMaxx... they often have Anthousa and Anthropologie candles (among others) at a huge discount.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Perhaps not very useful to you (I'm not 100% sure this company distributes in the US), but these are very nice, indeed. I especially enjoy the Sacred Fire one (resins, incense, smoke) and the Under a Fig Tree one (medium sweet, creamy fig and woods).
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I posted a similar thread a while back, and can report back on a few.
    First on my list would be to try TJ Maxx or Marshalls for 'seconds.' They often have nicely scented candles at a great price. I just sniff to make sure there is a potent scent, and one I like, and I have gotten some long lasting candles for 7-10 dollars.

Circle E makes lovely candles that burn pretty evenly and that smell great. I have one of their 'butter rum' candles and it adds a lovely festive and comforting scent to the house. circleecandles.com

Also, A Wicked Scent, based in San Francisco (and I've been to their store and can report that they are very nice people, the owners) has a website: awickedscent.com. Their candles burn evenly, and they look beautiful and smell amazing...all for a great price. I will buy from them again in a hot minute.

Tyler candles were recommended to me, and the price is right, but I haven't had the best luck with them. They don't burn as cleanly or smell as potent. Maybe I just got unlucky, but there you have it!

By the way..I LOVE Tibetan Mountain Incense!

P.S. I tried to make these websites into links, but I'm not on my usual computer and so far it's not working.....sorry....
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 14th January 2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

I'm a Yankee Candle girl myself, & have been for years. My ONLY complaint is that if you don't burn them for hours @ a time some wax is leftover on the sides as the candle burns down. A lot gets wasted that way . I typically just buy the smaller candles (including the tealights) or the double wick ones.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    I'm a Yankee Candle girl myself, & have been for years. My ONLY complaint is that if you don't burn them for hours @ a time some wax is leftover on the sides as the candle burns down. A lot gets wasted that way . I typically just buy the smaller candles (including the tealights) or the double wick ones.
    I never knew that was why some candles burned and left wax on the sides of the jars, and others didn't! One of life's mysteries solved! Thx

I melt down the wax in the microwave ( Don't forget to take out the metal wick base !!!!!!) and pour them into a smaller holder with a new wick added ! I was fed up too with all the wasted candle I was throwing away,you can get the wicks on any candle making supplier on the web. You can get plenty more hours out of what otherwise would be binned !

I bought a Savons de Marseille candle recently...smells very nice. It was from Winners (Tjmaxx) for $6, but I imagine it wouldn't cost much more full price.

Just a little candle tidbit to see if you are getting a good burn from what you buy: measure the width of the candle (or guesstimate) and that is approximately how many hours you should have to burn the candle to get a full melt pool (the wax is melted all the way to the sides). If you have hang up (wax left on the sides) after several burns, it is probably not wicked correctly. Same goes if the wax is melted way below the flame. If you "power burn" longer than the hours per width, PLEASE use caution as some glass can get too hot this way.

Also, not to knock any large, well known candle companies, but... some do not secure their wicks to the glass, which can cause the wick to drift as it gets closer to the bottom of the jar. If the wick doesn't stay centered, it can get too close to the glass which can cause burns or the glass to crack and/or break.

And now the candle freak in me emerges to give any candle lovers these tips:

1. Always dip the wick to extinguish the flame. This eliminates the smoke from the smoldering wick, and coats the wick with wax which gives you a better burn next time.

2. Always trim your wick to 1/4 inch before lighting, This will also help eliminate sooting, and too large of a flame which can be dangerous.

3. Never burn a candle past the last 1/4 to 3/8 inch of wax, this can cause the glass to overheat, etc.

Off my soapbox now

^ Interesting.

I know Diptyque doesn't secure the wick...if you turn their candles upside down and give them a good smack, the candle comes right out of the jar!

Question - what do you mean by "dip the wick"? Like, push the wick to the side to immerse it in the melted wax?

Yes, you take a wick dipper (say that five times fast LOL) and gently submerge the wick under the melted wax, then pull it back up. You can google "wick dipper" and see a ton of examples.

I've always wondered why candle companies don't use any type of wick glue or stick-um. It's cheap, increases the safety of use, and insures a better burn towards the last of the wax. Diptyque uses really thick glass (I know, I use the same kind) which helps with potential overheating.

I see a huge turn towards no-burn room scenting in my area. Wax melts (can't say tarts as Y*nkme has that word under copyright) sell at least 5-1 over candles these days, and I have more inquiries about diffusers, rock potpourri, etc.

Thanks...off to look that up.

I guess people are caught up in the motion-detector sprays and all that jazz...which is a shame, because some candles smell nice without even having to light.

Blog Entries

OK, this may seem a little off-the-wall, but then again so am I..

Candle are ridiculously easy to make yourself. The markup on candles should be considered a felony. I've been making soap (hard), and recently started doing candles (easy!).

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Default.aspx is my favorite all-around supplier of waxes, wicks, containers and scents. They have a small but nice selection of designer dupes as well. If you are an Angel lover, their dupe of Angel is close enough to fool. The B&BW selection is good too. Soy wax doesn't smoke as much as paraffin, is a renewable resource, burns longer and is cheaper than paraffin. Their wicks don't have lead in them, something you need to watch out for in a commercial candle. Avoid candles made in China! It almost certainly has a lead-core wick!

Anyway, you might give it a try. It's a LOT easier than you may think, and your wallet will thank you...
    Last edited by Bastetcat; 2nd August 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add info

archipelago mojito and vetiver are awesome...good price, last long and throw is enormous
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
    Just a little candle tidbit to see if you are getting a good burn from what you buy: measure the width of the candle (or guesstimate) and that is approximately how many hours you should have to burn the candle to get a full melt pool (the wax is melted all the way to the sides). If you have hang up (wax left on the sides) after several burns, it is probably not wicked correctly. Same goes if the wax is melted way below the flame. If you "power burn" longer than the hours per width, PLEASE use caution as some glass can get too hot this way.

Also, not to knock any large, well known candle companies, but... some do not secure their wicks to the glass, which can cause the wick to drift as it gets closer to the bottom of the jar. If the wick doesn't stay centered, it can get too close to the glass which can cause burns or the glass to crack and/or break.

And now the candle freak in me emerges to give any candle lovers these tips:

1. Always dip the wick to extinguish the flame. This eliminates the smoke from the smoldering wick, and coats the wick with wax which gives you a better burn next time.

2. Always trim your wick to 1/4 inch before lighting, This will also help eliminate sooting, and too large of a flame which can be dangerous.

3. Never burn a candle past the last 1/4 to 3/8 inch of wax, this can cause the glass to overheat, etc.

Off my soapbox now
    Outlandish - you really taught me something there. I was thinking of getting a Fracas candle. Thing is I always get 'hang up' I really did not know there was an art to candle burning. It's awesome - something else for me obsess about now ! Thank you !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Walgreens carries essential elements candles which burn nicely and are scented with essential oils. I have purchased them on sale for less than $5 US, although usually they cost around $10 US. These are as nice as many pricey candles that I have purchased. I admit to being a candle snob, so if I like these, you probably will like them, too.

I love the candles from Thyme. They last very long and have a great throw.
    http://www.thymes.com/Thymes/Collect...x?nodeid=62563

Bon Chic candles - especially love orang flower sumatra
    http://www.sedafrance.com/collection...chic_original/

Voluspa candles are also great value and the scents are unique (could be good or bad)

Wish I lived in the US. So many wonderful and affordable candles to indulge in. Just received Tocca Feu de Touch in the mail and the glass is shattered. Wonder what I can do with it now.

When my candle is almost finished, i dig the wick out, leave the rest of the wax in there, clean the glass and place it inside my wardrobe / drawer as a freshener. Works well I must say!

Thanks Outlandish for the tip.

While in Target earlier today I saw that the Lume Luxe candles, which I really like, are back....I havent seen them since last year....I am not sure if these are old fragrances under new names, but here's what they had - Black Amber, Ocean Sea Salt (which I think used to be Santorini), Blackberry Cream, Wild Herb and White Fig. The Black Amber and Wild Herb smelled particularly good. They also have them available as reed diffusers. At $ 12.99 for a 10 oz candle, I will be purchasing several.
    Last edited by BooRad859; 30th September 2009 at 06:38 PM.

If you can find them "Boddington hand poured from Vermont" candles are about $6 for soy wax based candle in a tin......crazy good price! Similar candles are about $15-20 from most companies.

I second Pacifica's Tibetan Mountain Temple.
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

Gabriel's Aunt candles are all under $30 (and under-priced in my opinion). They are all made of soywax which is very long lasting and are scented only with natural essences. The scents are fun and original. My favourites are Royal Couple (jasmien & rose), Lemon Bar, Summer Vacation (jasmine and lime), Hugs & Kisses (cardamom, orange and other spices), and Bohem (tobacco and vetiver).
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Henri Bendel has some nice candles under $30. My favorites are Firewood and Amber. Once in a while they go on sale at Bath and Bodyworks for even less.

And Slatkin & Co makes great candles in that price range. Last year Marshalls had them deeply discounted too.

Trapp Private Gardens are great: very richly scented with long burn time. Their No. 4 Orange/Vanilla is absolutely DELISH!!! The perfect combination of crisp orange notes elevated by the exquisite addition of Tahitian Vanilla.

Well, one of my new favorites is Voluspa Vanilla Creme Fleur. For 20 bucks you get a superb scent throw and 85 hour burn time. Beautiful packaging, classy all the way around.

Bloomy i love this Vanilla Creme too. Its no doubt best when you need best fragrance without spending lot of money.
    and hey guys i am getting impressed with all of you.
    This post is growing day by day and it is helping many people. I mean Fragrance is the right of every human no matter how many he owns. Keep it up

I always liked Yankee Candles the scent lasts, others I bought don't smell too well after the 2nd lighting, I don't think they make Citrus & Sage anymore I loved this one, Seascape, and something with a name that has storm in the scent
    Last edited by 3nines; 29th March 2010 at 09:51 AM.

Well I got lucky and found Yankee's Citrus & Sage candle, now I know they quit making this awhile back, they may have reintroduced it again.

Just in case anyone likes this one.

I like candles, but I have found that I prefer the TARTS or WAX MELTS best. Anyway, to get the best "throw" from a Yankee candle scent, buy a Yankee Candle PLUGIN. These work great and last a long time. Besides, you just plug it in an outlet and leave it alone for about 30 days. It is difficult to find MANLY scents, though. My favorite so far is ICON from Tyler Candle company. They have a scent called ICON that smells VERY SIMILAR to GREEN IRISH TWEED. It is definitely a GIT inspired fragrance from the description. "Icon is an invigorating, fresh fragrance that is also spicy, sporty and unforgettable! With notes of sandalwood, ambergris, violet leaves, French verbena and Florentine iris."
    They also have other Masculine scents. I have only tried a few. I liked ICON, KATHINA, and another called COWBOY. It was a leather scent. http://www.tylercandlestore.com

Yankee candle are a real treat I must say - yes the large jar has to burn at least three hours to minimise the side wax residue
    The choice is huge - Midsummer Night is right for a men's interior
    the winter's choice is just amazing - I am going to try Mountain Lodge
    Invisible Power

http://www.pureintegrity.com/ ----> Considered some of the top candles by candle enthusiasts, if not the best. Great prices, great scent strength and some really nice scents, though nothing really amazingly unique.

http://www.thespottedhogcandle.com/ ----> "bakery" smelling candles, really yummy, though the size of their selection can be intimidating.

If you want something easier to find, sort of a "brand" candle, I'll recommend

Voluspa (especially their baltic amber)
    Seda France (a little pricey, but my favorite "mass-produced" brand. my favs: Kashmere, Sugar Lime Blossom, Clementine)

Most other "luxury" brands such as Diptyque, Trapp, Votivo have nice unique scents, but they're weak and too expensive. As I said the only expensive brand I tried that is worth the money is Seda France.

As for your average brands such as Stalkin and Co, Yankee Candle and so on, they're ok, nothing unique nor amazingly strong. Everynow and then you'll find something impressive, but they go for the same price as many of the higher quality "home made/small business/whatever you want to call" them candles such as pure integrity and the spotted hog.

By the way, I'm surprised you like something by Pacifica, it's not that they don't smell so good. But they're really low quality for their price, hardly any scent strength, they don't burn evenly, and one of my three purchased from them started a little fire in the Jar when the wax ran out, so they probably use horrible wicks, I'd highly recommend avoiding that brand.
    Last edited by Ekove; 25th August 2010 at 09:09 AM.

Blog Entries

I was wondering if the Seda candles were any good. Thanks for the info. I agree on the Diptyque. They are overpriced. the scent is weak, IMO.

I would venture to say Yankee Candle Company for the value.

For the luxury with cost as no object, Byredo candles.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I was wondering if the Seda candles were any good. Thanks for the info. I agree on the Diptyque. They are overpriced. the scent is weak, IMO.
    I didn't like many of their top sellers, but the three I mentioned are fantastic. Even unlit they were overpowering some other expensive candles I had burning. I can't describe how good Sugar Lime blossom is, sweet citrus tart heaven! though it's not part of their signature line. My girlfriend wouldn't even throw away the Jars/Tins of the ones I've got for her because they still have a strong scent. Yes they are that good, from my experience at least.

So yeah, they are pretty good, the best luxury brand I've tried.

Another vote for Henri Bendel candles at Bath and Body Works. I wait for the sales and stock up. But by far the best candle I have ever had--and used up in it's entirety within a month....Godiva's Raspberry/Chocolate truffle candle. For the holidays it was amazing. I'm getting another one this year.