Code of Conduct

Default have you ever stolen someone's signature scent?

if so what was it? for those without a signature scent have you just worn something somebody has claimed to wear? again if so what was it?

my uncle wears carolina herrera for men. i first went oh hey you wear the same frag as angelina jolie. then i tried it in the store when i bought the women's version for my mom. i liked it well enough. not a masterpiece but really good, simple, versatile. i also liked the description in the guide playboy son of eau d'hermes.

Default Re: have you ever stolen someone's signature scent?

Ideas have to come from somewhere.

Yup, years ago, when I was in my early twenties there was a colleague of mine who wore Ysatis, which I found unbelievably alluring and exotic. Even though I didn't care for her much as a person, she did have a certain Angelina-Jolieish-tough-vamp-mystery-aura about her. Anyway I "stole" it and wore it for years. Alas, it never turned me into a tombraiding vamp. Today I find Ysatis prefectly appalling as a scent.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    Today I find Ysatis prefectly appalling as a scent.
    You started so good ... and ended so baaad!
    Ysatis appalling?! Shame on you ... shaaame!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    You started so good ... and ended so baaad!
    Ysatis appalling?! Shame on you ... shaaame!
    Lol! Maybe I have to go smell it again, but a few months ago I went running to it at a store and thought: What?! I used to like this?! Kind of like when I recently saw the movie "The Lost Boys" again after 20 years. (Did I really ever think this was a cool movie?!)
    Last edited by Klute; 25th July 2010 at 11:44 AM.

Not that I'm aware of. If I ever have, I did not do it knowingly.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

No. But in the 80's a friend tried to steal not just one but two of mine: Coco and Salvador Dalí. (I must have smelled fabulous )
    It turned out to be a case of poetic justice, though: both gave her a headache!

She later had the nerve to try to sell them to me. I didn't buy.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    Lol! Maybe I have to go smell it again, but a few months ago I went running to it at a store and thought: What?! I used to like this?! Kind of like when I recently saw the movie "The Lost Boys" again after 20 years. (Did I really ever think this was a cool movie?!)
    You need to go vintage, the one called 'Ysatis de Givenchy',
    it's to the left below. The modern one is just called 'Ysatis',
    and is mere water compared ... You've inspired me to wear
    it as my SotE tonight ... vintage, mind you!

I like The Lost Boys ... yes!

I don't think that there are many people around (and not any people I know) who chose Armani pour Homme, my current favorite, as their signature scent

However, there was a time in my life when I used to wear Eau Sauvage and Knize Ten very frequently, knowing full well that these are signature scents of some guys I know, so either I deliberately stole the idea or unconsciously went along with this influence (I mean, in my opinion, both are great frags, which I would have worn irrespective who wears them apart from me, though this signature scent thing might have further influenced my decision)

another one i'm thinking of stealing. rl safari. haven't smelled it yet though but i saw a bottle in one of our family friend's houses. he is the classiest guy i know. not the richest... the classiest.

I've always thought this concept of a singular "signature" scent is something claimed by those who don't know shit from shingles in perfume.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I don't think that there are many people around (and not any people I know) who chose Armani pour Homme, my current favorite, as their signature scent
    Great choice! I used to wear this classic when I was in my early 20s. But I felt I wasn't grown up enough for the scent so I had to let it go. Anyway, I have never nor will I ever knowingly steal anyone's signature scent, no matter how good it smells.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    You need to go vintage, the one called 'Ysatis de Givenchy',
    it's to the left below. The modern one is just called 'Ysatis',
    and is mere water compared ... You've inspired me to wear
    it as my SotE tonight ... vintage, mind you!

I like The Lost Boys ... yes!

I loved and wore Ysatis ( the vintage ) for some time ,may years ago .It was strong stuff !
    A friend of mine who is quite a 'cool' and interesting woman wears Dolce Vita and Gucci by Gucci so I guess I was inspired by her to wear those too but I wouldn't call it stealing a signature scent though .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    I've always thought this concept of a singular "signature" scent is something claimed by those who don't know shit from shingles in perfume.
    why? i always thought it was an older person kinda thing when there were less scents to choose from. say chanel no.5 or eau sauvage. do they know less than us? probably but only because there are more mediums to learn from like the net and books like the guide. without the net you'd be wearing aqua di gio thinking you were so fresh. do we even really know better just because we're wearing creeds?

Nope. I have never knowingly done that.

The idea if 'stealing a signature scent' makes no sense to me..... these are products that can be bought by anyone, right? It's not like they were in their lab creating their own frag and someone snuck in and stole the recipe. If someone wears something all the time and you like it and want to wear it all the time, too. So be it.

Although years ago I had a large group of friends who a few of the ladies in that group knew me in an intimate way. In fact I got 'recommended' by one to others and it just kind of blossomed from there. I wore a certain cologne all the time mostly cause I didn't really know as much about cologne back then, knew I didn't like that many and that was the only one I really liked. So people knew that scent through me. Well one gathering someone else showed up wearing this cologne and a couple of these girls got really excited at the prospects of me showing up at this party and searched for me in the house. Found this guy wearing that cologne and were disappointed. Both called me right away to tattle on this guy for wearing 'your cologne' as they put it. I said anyone can buy it at the store, I didn't make it. At that point I decided to diversify my 'wardrobe'. Years later now these women know me as a guy who always has a different cologne on and always smells good no matter what.

Although now when people ask me what I'm wearing I feign ignorance and say I'm not sure what I put on.....

Cary Grant's git i will eventually get a 17oz flacon of it.

Blog Entries

Nah, can't say i have. I've had people buy 2-3 fragrances that I wear however. Thankfully it was during my SoCal - Hollister phase, not a huge loss

My best friend's signature scent is Burberrys for Men (the original, I think at one point it was called London). I'm not gonna lie, I HAVE stolen a few sprays from his bottle (once, because I was going to school and had forgotten to spray anything on), and thankfully it just doesn't work with my skin chemistry. It's much better on him than me.

Edit: But, I HAVE had the reverse sort of happen before. I've got friends who always steal sprays from my wardrobe when they come over and we're going out, and then are the first guys to make fun of me for having fragrances (I love how that works right?). They normally pick one and use the heck out of it, effectively making me like it less. When I've got a buddy who wears my Creed Green Valley every time he comes over, it sort of loses it's luster when I wear it.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 26th July 2010 at 03:19 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense