Code of Conduct

Default Creed Woods & Spice - let's speculate...

What do you want to see in this fragrance?

Personally, I'd love Creed's take on a Burberry London type of fragrance. Utterly fall and winter oriented. Lots of pine, clove, musk, cinnamon, wine, etc. Something that screams Christmas, cold overcast days, and gourmand-like.

Or they could go the oud route and make something more year-round and modern. Dry with leather and tobacco highlights. A younger man's Bois de Portugal. This is probably more likely.

So if Creed anointed YOU to be the lead craftsman for creating a new fragrance called Woods & Spice, what would you do? Consider their current offerings (and holes in their lineup), the direction they went with Aventus, and market trends.

Default Re: Creed Woods & Spice - let's speculate...

Well, I'm a fan of a lot of Creeds older and heavier stuff. To me they do that very, very well.

But frankly, I'm a mature and pretty traditional guy, and those probably don't sell so well these days, so I'm interested in seeing the direction this takes.

I like your idea of a "young man's Bois du Portugal." Wearing the "old" Boid du Portugal right now.

I would like to see Creed make something like Epic, Gucci Pour Homme, Rochas Lui etc..

Blog Entries

A Londonish thing sounds excellent. Younger BdP sounds very good - I almost see that as the same thing, style-wise. Moving toward Amouage and Kilian somehow (a shade more modern), yet retaining the essential Creed "not in the current time" vibe - I think this is critical to Creed's success.

I agree with Creed's move to add more modern, youthful scents, and keeping the lineup fresh. As long as they keep a few of the "house vibes" in the new offerings, I think they will do well. As long as the frags feel solid and not trendy, the company is on solid ground.

For Woods & Spice, it is essential that both of these be prominent. Seems like a no-brainer, but it's one of the easiest criticisms of a scent ("Where's the beef?").

The quality of classic "old man" scents, but the modernity of more youthful niche offerings, combined with that Creed "shades of the past" thing, which is a core competency (see Windsor) - this opens up something which is hard for other houses to effect. Nobody does a modern scent with a classic feel like Creed IMO.

I'm quite looking forward to this one.

Supposedly Spice and Wood is a lighter, more transparent version of Bdp.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    And if it is, it may be interesting, provided the spice were turned up a spell and perhaps the lavender down a notch. Just my wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    oh god that would be PERFECT.

where did you hear that?

I love Bois de Portugal... but I just can't pull it off at my young(ish) age of 32. My dad can rock the hell out of it, on the other hand.

If they came out with something that has that old-school, prestigious vibe of BdP, but lighter and less commanding, that would be great. Of course, Acier Aluminium and Baie de Genievre kind of fit that bill already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post

where did you hear that?

I love Bois de Portugal... but I just can't pull it off at my young(ish) age of 32. My dad can rock the hell out of it, on the other hand.

If they came out with something that has that old-school, prestigious vibe of BdP, but lighter and less commanding, that would be great. Of course, Acier Aluminium and Baie de Genievre kind of fit that bill already.
    Even as an older guy, I can tell you, opportunities to wear BdP get fewer and fewer. For VT it's even worse. We need young scents as badly as the young guys. When I go through the cafeteria line, I need something that just plain smells good to people half my age - something that goes with a polo shirt but makes you smell like you're wearing a tie. A younger BdP fills the bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Even as an older guy, I can tell you, opportunities to wear BdP get fewer and fewer.
    Agreed - BdP works best for me on only the coldest days. . . but I love it so much that I want Spices & Woods to smell like a spicier version of BdP. That would be my choice. For $500+, the likely price point, it had better be damn strong stuff.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 26th July 2010 at 02:12 AM.

Even as an older guy, I can tell you, opportunities to wear BdP get fewer and fewer. For VT it's even worse. We need young scents as badly as the young guys. When I go through the cafeteria line, I need something that just plain smells good to people half my age - something that goes with a polo shirt but makes you smell like you're wearing a tie. A younger BdP fills the bill!
    I agree.....A younger BdP would be excellent!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post

where did you hear that?

That's my business. I wear bdp and I am 24, but I like wearing strong colognes.

Basenotes Institution

I agree - a London-ish, Xmas oriented scent sounds delicious. In fact, the only Creed I currently own in full bottle is one of it's spiciest: Baie de Genievre. More spice please!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree - a London-ish, Xmas oriented scent sounds delicious. In fact, the only Creed I currently own in full bottle is one of it's spiciest: Baie de Genievre. More spice please!
    A dose of that cinnamon leaf in BdG would be welcome as well as a small taste of BdP's woods. I'm hoping the spice is much more than just a big dose of iso-eugenol/eugenol/benzyl cinnamate/cinnamic alcohol, as that would be too typical for creed. And yes to a slight london-ish style, more on that later.

Since seeing the note lists so similar for aventus and spice&woods...

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    - Creed Aventus.
    Top Notes: Black Currant/Bergamont/ Blanc Apple/Royal Pineapple
    Middle Notes: Napoleon Roses/Louisiana Birch/ Egyptian Jasmine/ Patchouli
    Basenotes: Oakmoss/Ambegris/Vanilla

Creed Spice & Woods -

Top Notes: Bergamont/lemon/Aromatic Pendu Plat Apples from Rome
    Middle Notes; Angelica Root and Luxor Rose/ Clove oil/desert pepper/ Patchouli and birch
    Basenotes: Egyptian Iris/ Ceder/ Oakmoss and musk

Looks like oakmoss is back!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Aventus, at least by the notes, certainly doesn't seem like Bois De Santal LOL!

Apple/Bergamot/Rose/Birch/Patchouli/Oakmoss makes me think these were each based off a single experiment, and it went in two equally likable directions....

...very eager to try both.
    I've thought CREED was basing booth these off a common formula, and after smelling Aventus, and being terribly dissapointed by the topnotes, and dissapointed in the weakness of the base, I kept smelling a very heavily sprayed card for several weeks, and grew to see promise in the basenotes of aventus, so long as they were increased in strength.

A Londonish thing sounds excellent. Younger BdP sounds very good - I almost see that as the same thing, style-wise.

For Woods & Spice, it is essential that both of these be prominent. Seems like a no-brainer, but it's one of the easiest criticisms of a scent ("Where's the beef?").

The quality of classic "old man" scents, but the modernity of more youthful niche offerings, combined with that Creed "shades of the past" thing, which is a core competency (see Windsor) - this opens up something which is hard for other houses to effect. Nobody does a modern scent with a classic feel like Creed IMO.

I'm quite looking forward to this one.
    Burberry London topnotes type perhaps, but not the drydown, which is really just a weaker bogart ph lyral/coumarin/wood combo. I wouldn't mind that reserved apple/spice topnote done much better, I think it's the classiest of the contemporary fall scents. Perhaps with plenty of the floral tendency of the brown leather-wrapped 2008/2009 limited edition Burberry London.

A slight taste (4-6%) of BdP's sandal/cedar/ambergris basenotes (please none of the lavender or overt powder) married to a much-stronger version of aloof&cool Aventus' base (patch/moss/birch/musk) would be a feat. Especially heavy on the dry birch and patchouli notes.

I'm not for oud or anything gourmandish like XXV or 1270 or anything too retro. This release should be the masculine reference point for contemporary spicy/woody scents in it's generation. I wouldn't mind seeing a persistent muted spice accord underlined by the spicy ginger(that dries to a mace/cinnamic ginger) same as used in the tabaromes. And it should be only mildly sweet, with the only sweetness coming from the star notes themselves, and tonka(coumarin). All other sweeteners besides coumarin lack masculinity imho.

I'm certainly praying for the apple/clove NOT to smell anything like HUGO LOL.
    And it can't be as big a let down as Aventus.
    Spice & Woods should be a good one.

Question:
    Has sublime vanille begun to appear at online discounters yet? And if so, what is the cost?

Blog Entries

^Sounds good, DULLAH. Yeah, the London top notes was what I was thinking. That's the part I like. And I agree about not being too retro. The whole point is to get contemporary but not eye-rolling hip - as you say, masculine reference point for contemporary spicy/woody scents in its generation.

The biggest hint as to what it will smell like is the classification of the fragrance...Aventus was classified as 'Imperial/Fruity-Fresh', hence from the very beginning I knew it wasn't going to be a mossy-woods sillage monster.

Does any one know what Spice and Wood has been classified as ?
    -

Blog Entries

If I was to make Woods & Spice?

Top: Lemon Peel, Lime, Apple+Cinnamon
    Middle: Clary Sage, Tobacco, Patchouli, Leather
    Base: Ironwood, Musk, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Black Moss, Tonka Bean

It should open with a citrus blast, which definitely goes with the market trend. The apple will add a bit of a twist, with the cinnamon allowing for the Spice Aspect of the fragrance to reveal itself. But once the heart comes in, you know this fragrance means business! Patchouli will add depth and an earthy feel, while Clary Sage and Tobacco add some more spice; the Leather will give a nice, masculine touch. Finally the base will have Vetiver, continuing the earth-y feel started by the Patchouli; the Sandalwood will give warmth; Ironwood, a note in Givenchy Pi, is a great woody note that i believe should be used more; the Tonka will add some sweetness, but only a small amount of Tonka so as to add a slightly sweet aroma to the Wood aspect.

I'm sure some of the notes i have in there simply don't go together, I'm no fragrance composition expert by any means, but to me, that'd be a damn good Woods & Spice

for some reason, i like using the more "elegant" scents while wearing a nice pair of shorts, moc's and a wife beater

If they don't have a bottle design idea yet, I propose this:

If this is the the pyramid of Woods & Spice (quoted by dullah in #13):

Middle Notes; Angelica Root and Luxor Rose/ Clove oil/desert pepper/ Patchouli and birch

Then I would not expect it to smell like BdP at all.

I speculate that this thread will reach 5000 hits and start an all out Creed war. Before it is even released there will be people claiming all they smell is the apple note and compare it to DKNY Be. Others will insist they smell fresh, crisp Pendu Plat apples. Some will claim this fragrance was made for Tiger Woods and refuse to wear it.
    As for the scent it will be a decent, contemporary, subtle woods and some spice scent. It won't be a masterpiece and blow people away but it will have its fans.

[QUOTE=DULLAH;1890638]A dose of that cinnamon leaf in BdG would be welcome as well as a small taste of BdP's woods. I'm hoping the spice is much more than just a big dose of iso-eugenol/eugenol/benzyl cinnamate/cinnamic alcohol, as that would be too typical for creed. And yes to a slight london-ish style, more on that later.

Just a few weeks ago I was buying some large houseplants for my loft and one of the plants I got was a cinnamon tree. If you scratch off a bit of the bark with your fingernail, it has a pleasant soft green cinnamon smell; but if you tear off a leaf and rip it up in your hands and smell it, it's such a wonderful smell-- just like Burberry London. Now, because of this I've gone back and rediscovered London-- I love the cinnamon leaf notes so much more now.

If Creed makes something new that is similar to BdP and London, I'd be pretty jazzed to try it (as long as it wasn't a clone).

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    As for the scent it will be a decent, contemporary, subtle woods and some spice scent. It won't be a masterpiece and blow people away but it will have its fans.
    This.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I speculate that this thread will reach 5000 hits and start an all out Creed war. Before it is even released there will be people claiming all they smell is the apple note and compare it to DKNY Be. Others will insist they smell fresh, crisp Pendu Plat apples. Some will claim this fragrance was made for Tiger Woods and refuse to wear it.
    You beat me to the punch with a response like this. I lol'ed.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    If this is the the pyramid of Woods & Spice (quoted by dullah in #13):

Then I would not expect it to smell like BdP at all.
    on paper it looks a lot like aventus.

Blog Entries

Some will claim this fragrance was made for Tiger Woods and refuse to wear it.
    Not me! If the Creed marketing propaganda says he wore it, it's a BUY!

PS - Didn't he have more than just 5 girlfriends?

I don't think it will be as if God wrote the formula on a Stone Tablet and only Creed managed to procure and interpret said formula with breath-taking results. It most likely will be as the name implies and have a few followers. Who knows. I will be curious to sample it, for sure.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

On creedboutique.com, the name is listed as Spice and Wood.

http://blog.creedboutique.com/breaki...r-celebration/

The blog entry is kind of fun, too.

Blog Entries

This fall, celebration continues with the release of Spice and Wood, the second (after Sublime Vanille) in CREED’s Royal Exclusives collection of fragrances, a 250th anniversary statement about the beauty of fragrance as art object.
    Oh yeah!

I guess it would be a CREED version of OUD / AMOUAGE EPIC / Oriental type of frag....
    My signature scents:
    Current: GREEN IRISH TWEED (since June 2010)
    Past: BOIS DU PORTUGAL (Oct. 09 - May 10)
    Past Past: EAU SAUVAGE (good 15 years !!!)
    Past Past Past: LANVIN L'HOMME (2 years)
    Past Past Past Past: EAU SAUVAGE again (3 years or so)

So is this any closer to release then?

Basenotes Institution

The blog, Now Smell This, posted a bit of information about this today.

As mr.cologneguy mentioned above, the proper name is Spice & Wood. The list of notes are discussed as:

...top notes of Italian bergamot, Egyptian lemon and Court Pendu Plat apple with a heart of Angelic root, rose, clove, desert peppers, patchouli and Italian birch. It dries down into Egyptian iris and cedar, oak moss and musk...

$550 for 250 ml

Launching in November.

Link here.

As mr.cologneguy mentioned above, the proper name is Spice & Wood. The list of notes are discussed as:

...top notes of Italian bergamot, Egyptian lemon and Court Pendu Plat apple with a heart of Angelic root, rose, clove, desert peppers, patchouli and Italian birch. It dries down into Egyptian iris and cedar, oak moss and musk...

$550 for 250 ml

Launching in November.

Link here.
    I have to say, this sounds like its going to be very good.
    My fingers are crossed.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Banned

beautiful...

A very fancy bottle I must say.

$550 for 250 ml

Launching in November.

Link here.
    Does that site review Creed frags? I mean why post a 'preview' when there is no interest in reviewing them. The last Creed review they had was when Scenteur7/Marlen was writing for them (I believe it was Original Santal).

If anything, these 'Creed previews/news' gives NST's hardened anti-Creed following a chance to air their same old 'Creed aint my thing' views in the comments over and over and over (dont believe me, check out any of the previous Creed "news" there). I don't care if you give thumbs down or up, show some balls, try the fragrances and put thought to (virtual) paper. Else stop mentioning Creed to score some hits.

Its like 2002 all over again..
    -

The Creed rep I spoke to said it smelled like a toned down OS without the sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    The Creed rep I spoke to said it smelled like a toned down OS without the sweetness.
    I hope it is not going to be another variation on the OS/Joop themed fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Does that site review Creed frags? I mean why post a 'preview' when there is no interest in reviewing them. The last Creed review they had was when Scenteur7/Marlen was writing for them (I believe it was Original Santal).

If anything, these 'Creed previews/news' gives NST's hardened anti-Creed following a chance to air their same old 'Creed aint my thing' views in the comments over and over and over (dont believe me, check out any of the previous Creed "news" there). I don't care if you give thumbs down or up, show some balls, try the fragrances and put thought to (virtual) paper. Else stop mentioning Creed to score some hits.

Its like 2002 all over again..
    While I agree with your basic sentiment, it's a phenomenon that happens on BN all the time as well. All major brands and large releases are subjected to the pre-release talk. It's mostly harmless, as negative speculation can and will quickly turn to adoration if the juice is good (and/or if a big name reviewer or two really takes to it). Honestly, though, I think your incessant and almost knee-jerk defense of all things Creed is as, if not more, harmful than some lighthearted speculation.

If someone dislikes Creed or thinks Aventus smells cheap or generic or what have you, just let it go. I mean, it's fine to try and encourage someone to sniff more closely and find and admire the qualities that you see in a scent, but constantly defending the brands every move and confronting those who disagree is only going to push people away from Creed. More flies with honey, and all that.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    If it comes across as a clove/cedar edc....I'll be very dissapointed. But that is essentially what my money is now on....is a sort of light edt, bordering on edc clove/cedar scent with a taste of Bois D'Orage.

How many are going to pay that price? I've spent tons of money over the years, but not that much on just one frag.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Honestly, though, I think your incessant and almost knee-jerk defense of all things Creed is as, if not more, harmful than some lighthearted speculation.

If someone dislikes Creed or thinks Aventus smells cheap or generic or what have you, just let it go. I mean, it's fine to try and encourage someone to sniff more closely and find and admire the qualities that you see in a scent, but constantly defending the brands every move and confronting those who disagree is only going to push people away from Creed. More flies with honey, and all that.
    You are wrong on that. I discuss and comment on any fragrance I like. I could say the same thing about your incessant adoration of every thing Amouage...what, Lyric Man it is? Or is it Homage? Or Reflection? I can't recall, I go numb reading mountains of paragraphs you write about Amouage.

I don't want to take this further, and I am sure you understand.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    You are wrong on that. I discuss and comment on any fragrance I like. I could say the same thing about your incessant adoration of every thing Amouage...what, Lyric Man it is? Or is it Homage? Or Reflection? I can't recall, I go numb reading mountains of paragraphs you write about Amouage.

I don't want to take this further, and I am sure you understand.

You just proved Sculpture's point you know? :/ Anyways, I do enjoy reading Sculpture's posts about Amouage, because he brings a different dimension to the fragrances and opens my eyes (or nose) to smell another facet of Reflection, or Dia, or XXV, or what have you. Sometimes, its just better to agree to disagree, even if it means others taking potshots at you. Life is too short to get embroiled in disagreeing over a disagreement.

Anyways back to the topic, I would love to sample this, but sadly here in Singapore, the distributor is not bringing in Spice and Wood, and the cost of the sample from TPC is a tad prohibitive for me. Guess I'll pass on this one

The bottle looks nice, all i have heard it is a lighter bois du portugal, it is more transparent but it smells spicy woodsy and there is no citrus in the smell.

Banned

in the picture, you can see the affixed sprayer on top, with the glass cap fitting over it.

as opposed to the same bottle Sublime Vanille with the removable poofer.

Any more speculation out there?

I for one hope it's not too powdery, but with desert pepper, cedar, dry birch, and iris....? Could be. And perhaps it will be as subtle as Sublime Vanille ? Hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    For $500+, the likely price point, it had better be damn strong stuff.
    Yup.

Also, I wonder if the Royal Exclusives will ever leak out to discounters, or be tightly controlled to the luxury retail B&M's, and the NY boutique...
    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Question:
    Has sublime vanille begun to appear at online discounters yet? And if so, what is the cost?

Looks good, I definitely want to try this I have been hearing good things.

Basenotes Institution

I want to try this too ! I love the notes listed. The bottle is gorgeous ( with an atomiser, no less ) I don't care if this is for men ,it just sounds lovely. I love my woods and spice notes.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm excited. Mr Creed will be at the Niemans here in Houston when he comes to the US. It says November here but the guys there told me October. I believe this store was top Creed "pusher" . I might have to go. I gave them my info for an invite. I just want a whiff. This may be up my alley.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 21st September 2010 at 05:25 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

After wearing a BdP layering today, I couldn't help but think of the word choices made for this fragrance:
    Quote Originally Posted by CREED
    Pungent Cedar
    finest aged woods and spices
    Obviously I think the "aged spices" means the clove wil no doubt be alot more Iso-eugenol than regular eugenol (which will please Vetiver48/BdG/RSL fans), but I am left wondering what the cedar will be....

Now, of course, I would prefer a huge dose of the Cedar/tonka from the base of windsor, but does anyone else think these "pungent/aged" linguistics indicate the use of the exact same powerful Cedar note from BdP ?

I am so geeked for this scent I cant get it off my mind!
    I have yet to find the perfect winter scent!

My guess at this point is a slighty greener but ultimately more masculine (and stronger) take on something like Costes EdT. They share rose, incense, woods, pepper and spices in structure.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    My guess at this point is a slighty greener but ultimately more masculine (and stronger) take on something like Costes EdT. They share rose, incense, woods, pepper and spices in structure.
    I very much like Costes edt (red flacon), but the fact that Creed's initial note lists included Rose, but their most recent list didn't, makes me think the Rose is a minor player, but all the spicy notes of Costes would be very welcome!