Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fragrances from the House of Diptyque

Is anyone familiar with these fragrances? Some of them sound very interesting, and I would love to hear what you guys/gals think of them.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fragrances from the House of Diptyque

I really like L'Ombre Dans L'Eau...blackcurrant leaves and Bulgarian rose.
    Philosykos is a very pleasant fig

Personally I like those two the best of all I've smelled.

Tam Dao sandalwood, rather sweet and (to me) not very interesting.
    Jardin Clos a mild floral with poor longevity
    Do Son is a tuberose (and other notes)
    L'Eau is cloves primarily, to my nose...didn't like it much.
    Ofrésia is supposed to be freesia...not unpleasant but didn't make much impression on me.
    Oyedo a very pleasant but short-lived citrus...

Post Thanks / Like

Virgilio (discontinued) magnificent green basil scent, like walking through grassy fields.
    L'Eau Trois (discontinued) incredible dry myrrh-lemon-herb melange
    L'Eau de Lierre, very perky green scent like ivy leaves
    I like and own these.
    Philosykos is a very figgy green scent, with hints of wood and something like coconut
    Tam Dao is a great woody scent, mostly cedar and sandalwood.

Others appeal to me less, there are many different ones in the line.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Of all the Diptyque that I have smelled, the winner for me is L'ombre Dans L'eau. Diptyque frags are long lasting which is good! I don't usually repeat any frags in my wardrobe. However, if I finish my L'ombre dans L'eau, this is one that I wouldn't mind getting another bottle (100ml) of course. =)

There isn't one in the 21 in my collection that I don't like, but my favorite is Tam Dao

Post Thanks / Like

Eau Lente - a 'calming influence'.

In terms of cost per ml, I think they're one of the best values in niche scents. I'm only a big, big fan of a couple of their scents, but I like numerous, and in general find them well made with good longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

They have somewhat linear fragrances made with good materials and in some cases showcase inventive accords. Tam Dao (saw dust, cedar, sandalwood) and Philosykos (fig) have a large following.

I am currently trying Jardin Clos...its a nice green floral, unisex in my book, and showcases a good hyacinth note. The hyacinth is dense and green enough to lead me to believe that Diptyque either did actually use some hyacinth absolute (very rare) or used good aromachemicals such as terpineol, lyral, acetate, etc to successfully recreate the hyacinth note.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

I find the scents that I've tried from their house to be mostly above average. Most notably Tam Dao and Philisykos. Tam Dao being an excellent sweet but not over the top sweet sandalwood fragrance. Philisykos being in a world of its own, excellent unique fig blend that's simply to die for. It does remind me a little bit of Burberry London though. Virgilio, although said to be discontinued is a nice grassy scent, but it reminds me too much of Corduroy by Zirh which is far cheaper, only difference is Virgilio is more green.. mostly in a fresh cut grass sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just fell for Vetyverio in a big way. I find it to be a lightly floral vetiver, perfect for those who want something that is not too harsh or woody.
    Vetyverio Notes;
    mandarin orange, grapefruit, lemon, bergamot, vetiver, carrot seed,
    apricot, nutmeg, clove, ylang ylang, Turkish rose, geranium, cedarwood, musk

Post Thanks / Like

I love Philosykos and Eau Lente, and am slightly impressed with Tam Dao.

I haven't tried any others, but Vetyverio and L'Ombre Dans L'Eau have my attention.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I recently reacquainted myself with Eau Lente and love it. I first tried it 10 years ago, liked it enough but set it aside and forgot about it. I attribute that to the fact that (a) at that time, I was in the relatively early stages of my fragrance journey/obsession and eagerly trying as many fragrances as I could, and (b) my understanding of what notes and fragrances types I truly like, as well as my ability to appreciate fragances in general, has become more refined.

That being said, my recently sampling of Eau Lente left me smitten. It's blending of cinnamon, Indian spices (at this point, I'm picking up some cardamom and cumin) and opoponax is wonderful. I'm planning to purchase a bottle when I visit the Diptyque boutique in New York next month.

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely LOVE Philosykos, I always get complimented and asked what it is when wearing it, my next favorite from this house would have to be Vetyverio, although I've only tried roughly half of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I had Philosykos, but I didn'y like it. I bought ir because of the good reviews on basenotes ...I don't like coco nut..

I dont like Tam dao - I have light aversion to this scent...dry cedar wood- sandalwood

my favorite diptyque is L'eau de Tarocco
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I own L' Eau. Want to own L' Autre (which is officially discontinued) and Vinaigre de Toilette. As you can see I'm drawn to the more esoteric ones in the line.

I remember that Diptyque is a favorite of BN member DustB's, so I'm interested to see what his favorites are.

Vetyvero isn't getting nearly as much love as it should. Rose and vetiver? Yesssss.

Diptyque's scents are all fairly organic and plant-like, but they're all quality and very genuine smelling. I think that they are better as scents than they are fragrances, but having gone through 2ml samples of 11 of their scents, I'd say they're a quality house with decent prices. I've heard incredible things about their candles too.