Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Grey Vetiver vs. Creed Original Vetiver

Hey Guys:

My buddy Kerosene recently sent me a vial of Creed Original Vetiver. I also own a tester bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. For my next Youtube video, I wanted to do a side by side smell test to see which one I actually liked better. Grey Vetiver is pretty good. Will Original Vetiver win the challange? Anybody want to cast their vote?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver vs. Creed Original Vetiver

I may well be in a minority but I prefer the Creed.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 26th July 2010 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I may well be in a minority but I prefer the Creed.
    same, the gv by TF i am not a fan of, but tv and tl are a different story.

Creed without a doubt. No fan of Tom Ford scents.

Sur la Plage

I personally prefer Grey Vetiver by a long mile.........
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'd go with the Creed. The Tom Ford is just unremarkable in my opinion.

Point Blank

I think Original Vetiver is probably best in its class, but I think Grey Vetiver is a class of its own.

I dont get a ton of vetiver in Creed's Original Vetiver. Call me crazy if you will. But the Creed does indeed smell better than the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver if you're comparing these two.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Depends on what you like...

Grey Vetiver is a modern take on the classic feel like Guerlain Vetiver.
    Original Vetiver is essentially a citrus, soapy scent...I have to look hard to find significant vetiver. It smells good, but is hardly a vetiver dominant scent.

I really don't understand Creed Vetiver - all I get is this limey/soapy smell. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is absolutley wonderfull and my favorate vetiver out there (so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I dont get a ton of vetiver in Creed's Original Vetiver. Call me crazy if you will. But the Creed does indeed smell better than the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver if you're comparing these two.
    Hey Kerosene, finally tested this one side by side with Grey Vetiver. I agree with what others are saying here. Creed is basically a citrus soapy scent. I believe true vetiver fans will feel cheated with this one. Howver, if you want something more like a Gendarme or Mugler-type frag, then certainly check out Creed Original Vetiver.

Blog Entries

Cast my vote for Grey Vetiver.

Grey Vetiver is nice at the beginning but the Monique-size IsoESuper woody-amber just overwhelms the fragrance. Original Vetiver is more refreshing and complex...it may come off as easy and likeable due to its light nature its heart notes phase is a vast compass of various pepper, spice and wood notes.
    -

Grey Vetiver most definitely. Excellent elegant modern take on vetiver thar does it without making it feel outdated or old. Regardless it's still more mature but, comes across as a a modern young gentlemen fragrance.

Orginal vetiver is nice, but I prefer Mugler Cologne for the same effect. It doesn't have much vetiver in either actually
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Grey Vetiver by far. It smells expensive and modern while Creed's smells to me like something that could have come from The Body Shop.

I love neither, but Grey Vetiver could just as easily be called Grey Iris. Tom Ford likes Guerlain Vetiver and he did a pale, mini mini version of it with but with as much of the popular semi-metallic iris as he did vetiver. Even the modern Guerlain Vetiver makes this stuff look structually poverty stricken and without character. Not a terrible fragrance by any means, but it's as much about iris as vetiver, and the five milliliters I had revealed itself best on fabric. All in all, a pleasant accord for people who don't love vetiver and like the new iris which lacks the feel of anything natural.

I didn't love the Creed, and it's another one for non-vetiver lovers, but I somehow think it has as more to offer, partially due to its lack of the relatively non-descript iris they love so much at Perfumanias at malls all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    ^This +1

I was excited to try Original Vetiver because I'm a fan of vetiver. As you can guess, I was thoroughly disappointed, even more so than Vetiver pour Elle; there wasn't much vetiver and it just smells so generic.

GV on the other hand, is what I think Guerlain's Vetiver should be. The citrus and vetiver notes are so well blended that they really complement each other very well.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Grey Vetiver is nice at the beginning but the Monique-size IsoESuper woody-amber just overwhelms the fragrance. Original Vetiver is more refreshing and complex.
    Well put - my bottle of Grey Vetiver moved over to the Marketplace within days of purchase for this reason. My vote goes to Original Vetiver.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Point Blank

I think every vetiver fragrance in the universe is for vetiver lover fakes. True vetiver lovers rub themselves with the actual root. I win. Contest over.

Knowing what I do now about Creed Original Vetiver, I should have done a different comparison. Maybe...

Creed Original Vetiver vs. Mugler Cologne
    "" "" vs. Gendarme Green
    "" "" vs. Liz Clairbourne Sport yadda yadda yadda

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I love neither, but Grey Vetiver could just as easily be called Grey Iris. Tom Ford likes Guerlain Vetiver and he did a pale, mini mini version of it with but with as much of the popular semi-metallic iris as he did vetiver. Even the modern Guerlain Vetiver makes this stuff look structually poverty stricken and without character. Not a terrible fragrance by any means, but it's as much about iris as vetiver, and the five milliliters I had revealed itself best on fabric. All in all, a pleasant accord for people who don't love vetiver and like the new iris which lacks the feel of anything natural.

I didn't love the Creed, and it's another one for non-vetiver lovers, but I somehow think it has as more to offer, partially due to its lack of the relatively non-descript iris they love so much at Perfumanias at malls all over the country.
    I disagree. I own both Guerlain Vetiver & Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Look which one is for sale below.

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by neal; 27th July 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: duplicate

Different takes on Vetiver.....Between the two I prefer OV.

I've tried both although at different times. The creed being close to Mugler cologne and the TF being close to the Guerlain minus the tobacco. I prefer the TF.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I prefer OV of the two but don't care to wear either. I do hope I can be friends with OV in the future.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I think that while it's there, the Original Vetiver is a better smell. The problem is that I could apply the Creed and reapply it about 6 times to keep it there in the time it takes the Grey Vetiver to even begin to fade.

Original Vetiver because it feels so natural, and lasts longer than Grey Vetiver.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I like GV by a nose between the two.

Does anyone know if Creed's Vetiver is discontinued? I see OV in stores and online, but never that one.