Code of Conduct

Thread: Habit Rouge

Default Habit Rouge

Really trying to understand this one in terms of a masculine scent. I get a powdery old lady scent. Can some one help me understand how this is seen to be masculine. I'm willing to give it time. I want to like it. I want to 'get' it. ;')
    Last edited by neal; 26th July 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Default Re: Habit Rouge

Agreed! I do not understand it eigther..

It is powdery, but it's a neutral powder. Habit Rouge is actually rather austere compared to Shalimar, for instance. The citrus, spice, incense are always under control and far from voluptous.

It is one of my most hated scents ever ! Powdery old lady fragrance is exactly it ! Even then I would not want to smell it on my Nan !

Heathens...

I believe that perfume is genderless, especially the classic ones. Shalimar was marketed to women but many men around the world love it. It's just the matter of experience. Taste changes often. I'd suggest that you try many other classic scents and get back to Habit Rouge. At first, I hated it, but on my 3rd try I grew to like it.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

tott is right in using the word "austere." I don't get this scent completely myself. I'm not too much of a leather person and I don't feel like I'd want to add this to my wardrobe. But I can see it as having a place for me in certain type of weather and mood. I imagine it good for an autumn day and a nostalgic mood.
    I know there's something there that is appreciated (worshipped?) by so many people. I just need to get it.

I don't know if you can appreciate a fragrance through understanding or intellectualizing aobut it. You either like it and enjoy the way it makes you feel or you don't. Habit Rouge (red coat, riding jacket) is a dressed and civil attitude in a scent that you may not need on you. Some people need to add softness and control to their persona and some don't - it may be you need more danger or adventure in a fragrance? Keith Richards, Sean Connery wear it - supposedly. I don't get powder from HR at all, but it does have softness on the surface and traditional strength that I like. Try the beau cavalier version for more wood in the base, coupled with the soft notes sometimes smells like a fine leather. Its not a party scent or a wake up fresh scent, but it does have its needed place in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    It is powdery, but it's a neutral powder. Habit Rouge is actually rather austere compared to Shalimar, for instance. The citrus, spice, incense are always under control and far from voluptous.

I do get the austerity to a degree - that was the saving grace for me. It seems that it might work in the right atmosphere, mood, dress and season.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Some people need to add softness and control to their persona and some don't - it may be you need more danger or adventure in a fragrance? I don't get powder from HR at all, but it does have softness on the surface and traditional strength that I like.
    I do 'get' that as well. I can see the softness and dignity and austerity and strength.

I find it to be a warm and soft scent..... however with maybe a little too much feminine powder note. I believe that most people can stereotype when something is masculine or feminine, yet some people simply overlook it or choose not to categorize. For the average person on the street (not a basenote connoisseur), I would assume that they would call this a women's perfume just because it has too many feminine traits (softness, powdery, etc).

Basenotes Institution

Heathens...

I love Habit Rouge- I find it very elegant ,quite clean ,savory and not too powdery at all. Maybe ,just keep sampling it, it'll grow on you.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Some of your experience with Habit Rouge depends which version of it you're using-- I find the EDT to be the most powdery and as such, it's my least favorite-- the EDP and EDC are much better on my skin.

The first time I tried Habit Rouge, my experience was similar to the original poster. Over time I learned how to wear Habit Rouge and make it "work". It can be a temperamental scent, and sometimes it can seem to "fight" you a little if you wear it with the wrong clothes or in the wrong situation. Also, I've found that for me it's best to wait a little while after taking my shower to apply Habit Rouge-- otherwise the powder notes tend to amplify.

Give it some time and keep coming back to it to see if you're warming up to it. It's one of the best, but it's not always the easiest to pull off. I don't really find it feminine as much as I do a little bit anachronistic and bold.

Some scents don't work on you from the first try depending on many factors, or might not work on you to begin with. You might one to try Habit Rouge again though since it's a must have in my opinion, but it's definitely a unisex. Try the other editions (EDP is my favorite) as they are less powdery.

Blog Entries

As Indie_Guy mentioned, EDC and EDP are not as "powdery" as EDT. Although I like everything Habit Rouge, I would rate vintage EDC as the best (it isn't powdery at all either).
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Institution

neal - what formulation are you testing? There's EdC, EdT, EdP, Light, Sport and L' Extrait. There are vintage and 'new' formulations.

The proper formulation, makes all of the difference in the world.

I wouldn't be caught dead wearing the 'new' EdT. But I have nothing but love for vintage EdC and the EdP and L'Extrait are deliciously wonderful.

I am sampling the EDT from TPC. I have no way of knowing which reformulation it is unless I email them. I will try the EDC.

The EdT, new or vintage, is by far the most powdery of all incarnations. Powder is the defining aspect of the Guerlain signature, and that powder in Habit Rouge is exactly why some of us fell so deeply for it! At last a masculine daring to be powdery. The powder of Habit Rouge is almost foppish, yet it has the serious and chivalrous masculinity of a patrician in his oiled mahogany rooms redolent with brandy and soft smoke from expensive tobacco. Look out for the patchouli in its base. There's no doubt it's a masculine scent.

I can get what you're saying Neal. It's a classic male scent, but it is indeed from a bit of another time. It's not for everyone. I was lukewarm on the EdT. The EdP (Beau Cavalier in US) is what hooked me and it has become a favorite scent. It has a bit of agarwood in it, which makes it distinct from the EdT or EdC.

It wears nicely on me and I don't feel it's feminine. But as with many scents, a lot of them labeled "unisex," opinions will vary. I don't get a lot of powdery out of it, but the opening notes are a bit odd and intense.

There are some women who love it for themselves. My understanding of HR is that it was developed to be the male counterpart to Shalimar and was one of the first masculine orientals.

I do feel it's a tad more formal. Not tuxedo level, but I don't as yet wear it when casually dressed. Usually suit or sport coat.

I also feel it leans more mature and serious. But I don't want any young guys who love it to come kick my butt.

I have a guess Neal, you've sampled it the same reason I did. You see it chatted up in glowing terms as a classic and wanted to see what all the noise was about. But some people just don't like it. I would advocate that the Beau Cavalier version may be more to your liking.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th July 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Don't think too much or try too hard. Sometimes, all it comes down to is that you simply don't like it. There is nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of "classic" scents that are unwearable to me. It's not a calculus exam. it's a fragrance, and it should be fun...

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Don't think too much or try too hard. Sometimes, all it comes down to is that you simply don't like it. There is nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of "classic" scents that are unwearable to me. It's not a calculus exam. it's a fragrance, and it should be fun...
    True dat.

In a sort of way, I think there is no sense! If you have to struggle, over, and over, and over again, with several wearings, to find "something" that make you like the scent... -spend your money on something else that you realy like!

Love this stuff could drink if out of the bottle if possible

I do not find it powerdry at all very bracing and masculine with citrus and leather and just a touch of vanilla.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Don't think too much or try too hard. Sometimes, all it comes down to is that you simply don't like it. There is nothing wrong with that...
    Agreed. For now i have given up on the legendary Mitsouko. Why would i want to smell so musty (apologies to the Mitsouko lovers), when there's so much yet to smell and enjoy wearing?

However, re Habit Rouge, you could try the EDT Legere. IMO it is has brighter citrus top-notes and "powdery" will not be your first impression of its dry-down, yet it retains the essence of HR. I love this version a lot.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Agreed on the EdT complaints. It was the first version I tried, and I almost avoided the scent permanently after that. I found it to be completely unbalanced and a little sickening - the citrus doesn't know when the quit, and it clashes horribly with the powder.
    So, if you are speaking of the EdT, I don't blame you for not liking it.

Luckily, I tried the EdC not long after. The citrus is brighter and burns off to reveal a beautiful base that feels more like animalic incense than direct powder. I love it. Need to try the EdP soon.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I tried Habit Rouge EDT and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, especially when the patchouli rears up. But that was more than a year ago and a lot has happened to my nose since, lol. I gotta try this one again...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I tried Habit Rouge EDT and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, especially when the patchouli rears up. But that was more than a year ago and a lot has happened to my nose since, lol. I gotta try this one again...
    Try the EdP- it comes off much smoother IMO.

Habit Rouge EDT is an old style oriental - by which I mean akin to Lagerfeld Classic, Royal Copenhagen, KL Homme. They're often powdery, but they're not really party scents like most modern day orientals. Most can be worn to work without any problem.

Talcum powder used to be part of male gift sets, but I don't know of any males who use it anymore. Perhaps your "old lady" association comes from the powdery part of the scent, as women still seem to use it at times.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th July 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Probably the best thing I’ve smelled or worn. I dislike powder, but find Habit Rouge’s lofty dust comparable to the vigor of toweling off after a shower. But in general, it’s HR’s velvety, earthy, almost root-like suave accord that gets my attention far more than the dust.

I smelled it first in my early twenties, but it took awhile before I wanted to wear it. After that it was always a favorite. Still is. Try the edc. The edp is alright but a little dense. Sort of a darker, muddled, more lactonic HR, but a good fragrance nevertheless.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st August 2010 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Love this stuff could drink if out of the bottle if possible

Ohhhhh!? You're supposed to drink it in. Stupid me - I've been sniffing it in, all this time. I'll get back to you all in a few sips.

Have worn HR on and off for about 40 or more years. Bought other scents in between because got tired of it. Bought even LOTS of other scents - and always "rediscovered" HR as the very, very best of quality scents. Thank heavens tastes differ and not EVERYbody likes it because then the world would smell of HR only. Liking a perfume is such a personal thing that there shouldn't be any TRYING to like one. Either you do or you don't, period. Don't create a problem where there is none. Be happy with what you like and be happy with what you dislike. The world would be a lot more boring if we all had the same taste.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Really trying to understand this one in terms of a masculine scent. I get a powdery old lady scent. Can some one help me understand how this is seen to be masculine. I'm willing to give it time. I want to like it. I want to 'get' it. ;')
    This seems to get universal praise on Basenotes. I agree with you, I just don't get the appeal at all.

Since the Beau Cavalier version is one of my favorite scents, I really want to find some way to defend Habit Rouge. But I can't.

Seeing the EdT so lauded here, I remember rushing out to buy it. And it was hard to find. I wore it 3-4 times and didn't get it. I can totally relate to Neal being nonplussed.

I tried the Beau Cavalier version on a sniffing run with another Basenoter. Got a sample. It just worked for me. I can't explain it any better than that. It is kind of a quirky scent when referenced against more modern scents from the last 20 years or so. It's certainly understandable that some don't like it.

Habit rogue, love at first sniff, for me. I enjoy all versions, perhaps with the exception of Habit Rouge Sport, which I don't exactly hate, it just feels a little pointless. Habit Rouge embodies all of Geurlain's signature olfactory qualities, paying tribute to both Shalimar and Jicky. Amouage Gold, another powder bomb, is a bit of a cousin to HR. I'd forget about trying to find a version you like, the HR accord, orange blossom, cinnamon, carnation and clove and vanilla, is present in all of the formulations, if you don't like it, then you don't like it. It has a sweetness that isn't gourmand, which makes it a bit of an anachronism these days.

It does get a lot of praises among BaseNoters, basically due to the fact thet most (active) members in this community are conservative in their tastes - this includes me. Now, there is nothing wrong if you dont like it, so you are entitled to say that for you it is, literally, crap.

In my case, I favour formal, conservative scents, and in that sense, HR fits the bill.

Wore Habit Rouge in the '60's shortly after its' release. Assume it was edc (in the oval red leather-like spray bottle). Recently started wearing the edc and really love it. Reminds me very much of my first encounter with this delicious fragrance.

I own a recent EdT bottle, and I actually wish it were more powdery, sweet, and vanilla-ish. Instead, I get a big blast of this odd, sour, distinctive citrus when I apply it, and that phase lasts for a long time. Seems like it takes forever to get to the sweet part, which is what I bought it for in the first place.

Habit Rouge remains one of my favorite fragrances of all time. I own the vintage EDC, the EDT, Legere, and the EDP.

I agree that if you don't like the powder of the EDT the EDC and EDP are the way to go. I love all four, but the EDC is probably my favorite of the bunch.

I love powdery fragrances, though, and think that the current EDT is just great. Powdery frags have a fullness, a richness, a luxurious feel that set them apart from other scents.

noggs

This is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of scent, along the lines of A-Men. To me it's sickeningly sweet and powdery and sort of a relic. Like an enfeebled old man rolling about in powder and dust. Like a nursing home. I know I wear things that most people deplore, but HR gets a big, queasy grimace from me.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    Like an enfeebled old man rolling about in powder and dust. Like a nursing home.
    Wow. Harsh. But you can't be all bad. I see you have Giorgio for Men.

One of my favorite "go to" reviewers in here hates it. Sorry Foetidus, but I like it a lot.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 27th July 2010 at 05:17 AM.

to me it's so old it is new! i was thinking of legere but it seems wimpy compared to the edt. maybe i would've liked it had i tried legere first.
    “The Sandal Tree as if to prove,
    How sweet to conquer hate by love,
    Perfumes the axe that lays it low.” Rabindranath Tagore, Indian poet.

Blog Entries

In the final analysis it is all about what your tastes are, but as for me, Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier is now and happening! Whoa! Did I say that? Yessss! That about sums it up.

I love the controversy surrounding this fragrance... I really need to sample Habit Rouge...

Habit Rouge is liquid awesomeness. Apparently, not for you at this stage. Tastes mature and change with time. Leave it and don't try so hard. The sports one is likely to be you. Try it.

I have the EDC version and I love it!!!

I have the EDP and I agree that it's powdery, but it's such a classy powder. Together with Parfum D'Habit, it's the most 'dandified' fragrance I have. Lovely.

I first used Habit Rouge as the edc in the 60's and haven't been without at least one of its incarnations since. The edp has been a revelation and will ensure that HR will be in my wardrobe for ever. I hope that the next generation will try 'Sport' and be able discover the other formulations in turn.

I love Habit Rouge.

But like you I didn't like it at first as I found the opening overpowering.

The next time I tried it, basically I fell in love with the fragrance full stop. The drydown is absolutely classic Guerlain.

A true classic.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Heathens...
    LOL!

With both taste and gender in fragrances being subjective, I have to chime in that Habit Rouge is one of my all-time favourites.

From the EDC to the pure parfum, this is very elegant and a joy to smell on oneself and others. I like the EDT, actually. The citrus/leather and the vanilla in the drydown are matchless. Those only acquainted with aquatics will literally turn up their noses and call it an old men's scent or worse, an old woman's scent. It is like appreciating a Clos Vougeot or a fine cognac after only drinking wine coolers and sugary daquiris.

It is very male or very female, depending on the wearer.

The Habit Rouge EDP (Beau Cavalier) has agarwood, an extra touch of oriental richness that has to be experienced to be appreciated.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

You must try the EdP version!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I love both the EDC and EDT and use them as much as I dare, given the high cost in Japan. I hope someday to try the EDP, but I have never seen it here. If any kind person wants to try to send a little decant to Japan, I would be happy to offer something nice in return.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Habit Rouge remains one of my favorite fragrances of all time. I own the vintage EDC, the EDT, Legere, and the EDP.

I agree that if you don't like the powder of the EDT the EDC and EDP are the way to go. I love all four, but the EDC is probably my favorite of the bunch.

I love powdery fragrances, though, and think that the current EDT is just great. Powdery frags have a fullness, a richness, a luxurious feel that set them apart from other scents.noggs
    that´s the point.

Ok, I remember trying Penahligons LP 9 and Habit Rouge sport on each hand back in March. One was likeable, the other was not bad, just bleh. So how much powder is in the Sport compared to say whatever Guerlain Habit Rouge one would normally smell in say a department store?

I think that if you don't like it that you might want to move on from it for the time being. Their are so many fragrances to spend time trying to like something that doesn't agree with you. You may find you have changed your mind when you revisit it at another time, and you may not ever like it. I love HR, but that's just me.

I smelled Habit Rouge, and can't pull it off. Citrus and Vanilla smells of... Coca-Cola!

The colour doesn't help shaking off the association either. It's probably very nice on some, but I'm mentally blocked from using it.

It's definitely a love it or hate it fragrance. Life's too short to waste wearing fragrances you don't love IMO.

Where does one get the Eau de Parfum and what would be the expected cost?

I am an inexperienced nose but enough to notice there classicism and tasteful. You recognize that there´s a real perfume inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Bless you! I have a) a not-very-good bottle of the EdT spray, and b) a pretty good bottle of vintage EdT pour. And I'm really looking for c) the Habit Rouge bomb that everybody talks about. My EdT spray is way too harsh on the citrus notes. The EdT pour hints at a certain luxury, and from everything I've read here on BN it's all about the EdP at the top of the chain. Mr. StylinLA was kind enough to recommend HR Beau Cavalier, but I have yet to get my hands on some. It's hard to find. I am kind of obsessed now with finding a really good bottle. Mrclmind's recommendation is mighty tempting. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    The EdT, new or vintage, is by far the most powdery of all incarnations. Powder is the defining aspect of the Guerlain signature, and that powder in Habit Rouge is exactly why some of us fell so deeply for it! At last a masculine daring to be powdery. The powder of Habit Rouge is almost foppish, yet it has the serious and chivalrous masculinity of a patrician in his oiled mahogany rooms redolent with brandy and soft smoke from expensive tobacco. Look out for the patchouli in its base. There's no doubt it's a masculine scent.
    Mr G - that is the best description of Habit Rouge. Habit Rouge is my scent I reach most for the office it is so different just like its sister Shalimar not trendy just classic and well established.