Code of Conduct

Default Comme des Garcon Incense Series

Many of you recommended that I try Avignon from the CdG Incense Series. I love it, and am considering purchasing a bottle. I wanted to see if you think any of the others in the incense series are worth sampling before I buy Avignon. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Comme des Garcon Incense Series

IMO Avignon is the biggest statement of the Incense series, but also the least wearable for me.
    I prefer Kyoto and close behind it Jaisalmer. Avignon is straight up Catholic Mass to me. If you like that, go for it!

I have only tried Avignon , and it is one of the best fragrances I own ! But I was after the whole High Mass in a Catholic Church thing , so it suited me just fine ! ( being a lapsed Catholic probably has some bearing on this ! )

Avignon!!!
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Kyoto is the jewel of this line in my opinion. It is quite discreet, but still long lasting. Avignon and Zagorsk are a bit like sledge hammers. BTW, I own this full line.

Basenotes Institution

Try all 5. They are, IMO, the very best fragrances in the CdG line up and all sample-worthy.

the whole Incense series are worth a sniff - different and unique, used to have all of them - each has its own pros and cons, but as soon as one of them ends I'm starting to miss it

+1 to Kyoto being worth trying before you buy Avignon. I prefer it.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Got a sample of Avignon myself. I don't see this as one that I could really wear anywear. I guess being a very pure incense scent, it would be a great frag for layering, if you are into that sort of thing.

Kyoto is my favorite for sure!!!
    Gary

Here's my take on them. Avignon is the sweetest of the line. For that reason, it may attract many people. Those who don't like that aspect then go for one of the other four. (That is my case, anyway. I own the other four)
    Ouzazarte: the greenest of the lot. Dusky dry
    Kyoto: the most woody.
    Zagorsk: the most coniferous
    Jaisalmer: interesting, complex with a bit of spice
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Kyoto is my favorite for sure!!!
    Gary
    Same here! It's a great scent, and the only one I chose to buy and wear.

Try them all - I agree.

Avignon is a staple for me, especially in fall and winter. I used to wear Kyoto almost daily, but, I have started to prefer Jaisalmer lately. I really enjoy the high pitched patchouli note behind all the other incense stuff in it.

The synthetic woods in all of them make them ridiculously tedious to wear.

I still own Avigon, Zagorsk and Kyoto, but prefer to just burn some quality Omani frankincense.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The synthetic woods in all of them make them ridiculously tedious to wear.

I still own Avigon, Zagorsk and Kyoto, but prefer to just burn some quality Omani frankincense.
    Exactly! Very tiring. There are many incense fragrances I prefer (e.g. villoresi, Tauer). The oil smells somewhat different to the burned resin. I like both but the oil (if good quality Omani) has an almost animalic, earthy aspect to it which I love.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I only own Avignon and I love it, but I tried the other four last week. I like them all, but my second favorite would be Quarzazate. As Ody wrote, it is the greenest and very wearable.
    Evenstar

Another vote for Kyoto. Avignon is really nice, but is *very* churchy. I think it'd work better as a home-scenting candle or something. Kyoto still has some major incense vibes going on, but is alot more wearable with the cedar and coffee (go figure) notes to balance it out. It's great in cold, still weather. None of them are work-scents in my book, but if you need a scent for wandering around a snow-covered forest and brooding in the middle of winter, Kyoto's your man.

I love all 5 of them. Each one is so diffirent from others. And Avignon is the best of them. Besides, Kyoto is great, too. If you want an everyday incense scent from Incense series, I think Kyoto is the best choice.

I like all of them, but I love Ouarzazate, which is a fantastic, dry and arid incense with a little cedar. Avignon and Kyoto are close, and I would very much like to own them as well, Zagorsk is lovely but rather austere. Jaisalmer is my least favourite of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett View Post
    Jaisalmer is my least favourite of the series.
    Mine as well. I have the other four. Hard to choose the favourite one because I love them all, but Zagorsk is the one I wear most often.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Kyoto is my favorite, followed very closely by Ourzazate. I haven't tried Avignon, simply because I KNOW I won't like it. Zagorsk was also pretty gross on my skin.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I like them in the following order, but I've only purchased the first two. For some reason, I recall barely being able to smell Quarzazate, so it's by far my least favorite, but yes, everybody should test them all.
    1. Avignon
    2. Jaisalmer
    3. Kyoto
    4. Zagorsk
    5. Quarzazate

My order:
    -Quarzazate
    -Kyoto
    -Avignon
    -Jaisalmer
    -Zagorsk

Avignon is a must have in my wardrobe & is already in my LuckyScent shopping cart. I've tried a lot of incense fragrances & not one has come close to actually simulating the actual smell of old-world incense on a charcoal block. Avignon does. I have a sample of kyoto but haven't swiped it yet. I'll do so post-haste.

I think besides Avignon you should try Zagorsk.

Haven't tried all of them yet but i have a full bottle of Avignon and samples of Kyoto and Zagorsk.
    I'd rate them as:
    1. Avignon
    2. Zagorsk
    3. Kyoto

Planning to get samples of the others soon.

My faves are Kyoto and Quarzazate in this line. My personal favourite churchy incense is Messe de Minuit-Etro, very dark but wearable(esp. in the winter)
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

I tried the whole series. I really like Avignon and Kyoto. The rest were just OK to me.

Just purchased Kyoto! Found this dump hole in the wall "boutique" which happened to carry most of the GdC line! Unfortunately the only other IS they had was Zagorsk. Does anybody happen to have samples of the other 3?

jaisalmer is my fav.

Avignon is not bad but too much pencil mine vibe for me
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

with the exception of Jaisalmer which is a nice tiger-balm oriented fragrance, I find all the rest to be outstanding. My favorite is by all means Avignon.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    jaisalmer is my fav.

Avignon is not bad but too much pencil mine vibe for me
    +1 I agree jailsalmer is top

avignon makes me smell like an altar boy

My favourites are Avignon and Zagorsk, the others are very good too. Kyoto always smelled like the most feminine of the series to me, Jaisalmer is the spiciest and least incense-ish, and Quarzazate was the least familiar smelling and most challenging.

owned all of them (currently own avignon, ouarzazate & jaisalmer) but i have to go against the trend and say that kyoto is my least favourite, partly because of a slightly sweet, damp/wet rag aspect to it, but also because i already own cdg monocle hinoki and christian lacroix tumulte which are very similar and superior to kyoto.
    my favourite is avignon - catholic church, followed by zagorsk - greek orthodox church (& very austere).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    My favourites are Avignon and Zagorsk, the others are very good too. Kyoto always smelled like the most feminine of the series to me, Jaisalmer is the spiciest and least incense-ish, and Quarzazate was the least familiar smelling and most challenging.
    agree!!

Tried a few. Liked Avignon but did not buy it.

Kyoto. I bought a full bottle of Avignon but hardly ever wear it - although it's great. It's just too catholic. Kyoto is probably the best.

I'm thinking of blind buying Avignon in the morning.

Speaking as a lapsed Catholic I don't find Avignon all that churchified. Lots of Provencal rosemary in there. I do like it though. I have all of them except Jaisalmer. Zagorsk is my favourite.

I recently tried Exultat by Maria Candida Gentile; now that I DO find very churchy. It is quite lovely, more subtle than Avignon. And more complicated. I recommend it to any incense fan, it is one of the best.

Been wanting to try this series for quite some time..

I am a Kyoto Lover for sure.....This is Fantastic!!!
    Gary

Kyoto is good but Avignon is legendary...
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dwele View Post
    +1 I agree jailsalmer is top.
    Make that another +1. I posted this morning that I could layer Jaisalmer with anything. It's fairly sweet and mild.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Banned

I didn't get much out of the "uplifting" Jaisalmer and the "serious" Zagorsk. Frankly, it's the lack of longevity that disturbs me. I'm not to dismiss a fragrance quickly because it is light or so, but in case of Zagorsk I just have no time to enjoy it - it's vanished without a whimper (as a lover of all things Russian I have to say: what a pity). I should try Avignon soon, because it has a good reputation on basenotes. Dammit, I even may get my nose adjusted to the conception of this line.

That's the spirit; listening to Rachmaninoff's All-night-vigil while being drenched in Zagorsk...

Last edited by Candide; 4th July 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Speaking as a lapsed Catholic I don't find Avignon all that churchified. Lots of Provencal rosemary in there. I do like it though. I have all of them except Jaisalmer. Zagorsk is my favourite.

I recently tried Exultat by Maria Candida Gentile; now that I DO find very churchy. It is quite lovely, more subtle than Avignon. And more complicated. I recommend it to any incense fan, it is one of the best.
    i've been having my eye (nose) on exultat for a while now, where did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    i've been having my eye (nose) on exultat for a while now, where did you find it?
    Ausliebezumduft stock it. I also got samples of Barry Lyndon and Sideris but haven't had a chance to test those properly.