Code of Conduct

Question Tobacco scent with best sillage and longevity?

As I am testing tobacco scents now, I would like to know which tobacco scents have the best sillage and longevity--more "bang for the buck," as Americans say. I prefer tobacco florals/gourmands.

By Kilian's Back to Black is divine (and oh, so dear...) and I hope to try the Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea, as it came so heavily recommended. I have already tried the new Costamor Tabacca, and found it nice but very, very sweet. (When I go to Paris, I will have to buy some Tabac Blonde at the Caron Boutique, but not before having my pals take me to ELdO boutique in the Marais...)

Can you help me with my sampling, gentlemen? (I am getting faint at the thought of the urns at Caron...where did I put my smelling salts...)
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th February 2010 at 02:36 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Tobacco scent with best sillage and longevity?

It's not niche, but I really like Havana.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    It's not niche, but I really like Havana.
    Me too!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thank you for the suggestions. This is easy to find at department stores...and more wallet-friendly.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Love Tom Ford Tabaco Vanilla.

Marc Anthony, thank you for the post. I did try the Tobacco Vanille and did not take to it. Perhaps a second shot. (I am also on a budget.)

I found this in the BN archives on Havana:

According to Aramis, Havana is "Charismatic, Well-Blended, Smooth, Sensual, Electric, Sexy, Masculine, Warm, Vibrant, Pulsating, Virile, Seductive, Hypnotic and Intoxicating" ROTFL!

Tobacco Vanille is the most powerful of all I've tried, but Ambre Narguile was extremely tenacious too. Back To Black is only a little milder than those two.

On the designer front, Success is a complete longevity monster, up there with the first two I tried, but quite different in style. It's odd comparing it with Back To Black as both have a lot of honey and a lot of tobacco, but are nothing alike at all. It's a male chypre with shoulder-pads, and while very good is also kind of crude somehow. It's something that hits the spot perfectly when I want what it does, but that's not often. If it had a distant cousin in the niche world, it would be Ambre Russe.

Primrose, be sure to try Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris, it's unisex too!

My personal favourite is still Back to Black though, but I believe FdT does fill a void that no other fragrance can...

Among those I like, Michael for Men and Mustang by Dorall last the longest. They are quite different however, in terms of their non-tobacco notes. They also have very good if not excellent sillage.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th February 2010 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Primrose, be sure to try Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris, it's unisex too!

My personal favourite is still Back to Black though, but I believe FdT does fill a void that no other fragrance can...
    I really wish this one lasted on me. It seems so great for the first half-hour then poof! It's gone.

" Open " by Roger & Gallet has monster sillage & above average staying power ...

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Santa Maria Novella's Acqua di Cuba - moderately projecting sillage, serious longevity. Unsmoked partagas bottled.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

+1 on Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris, Havana & Havana reserva.

i'd add C&S Cuba & SL Chergui

Fairly unknown seems to be

Tabac
    by Profumo, Italy

or AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo
    as listed in BN directory.

There are only five reviews in the BN review section, four of which were written after Luca Turin had published the following in Perfumes The Guide: "...Durham is home to half a dozen tobacco companies , including Lucky Strike. On some days, the downtown streets smelled so wonderfully of tobacco that the whole place felt like it had been carved out of a giant gingerbread. Tabac approximates that beautifully, without being sweet or overhoneyed. A deliciously comfortable masculine." [L.Turin on Tabac****, 2008]
    Last edited by narcus; 14th February 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I've tried all that have been mentioned so far, except for Profumo's Tabac.

Primrose, for sillage and longevity:

Vintage Tabarome and Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea

Havana Reserva is a not too distant third. And a 5 star scent which I love.

Happy Trails,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Fougere Bengale: blond tobacco, lasts forever, feels like a second skin

Polo (Green0 has a nice tobacco note

fumidus
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Santa Maria Novella's Acqua di Cuba - moderately projecting sillage, serious longevity. Unsmoked partagas bottled.
    What he said. This is a big bold tobacco fragrance. Not for the timid that's for sure. Lasts forever. Not allot going on here other than tobacco. Well worth sampling.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Wouldn't John Varvatos Vintage be considered a tobacco gourmand? I would recommend you test it as it may be exactly what you're looking for. Its readily accessible at your local department store.

Michael Kors for men
    +1 Havana
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

IMO Creed Tabarome Millesime has great sillage/Longevity. 3 sprays last all day.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post

Fairly unknown seems to be

Tabac
    by Profumo, Italy

or AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo
    as listed in BN directory.

here are only five reviews in the BN review section, four of which were written after Luca Turin had published the following in Perfumes The Guide: "...Durham is home to half a dozen tobacco companies , including Lucky Strike. On some days, the downtown streets smelled so wonderfully of tobacco that the whole place felt like it had been carved out of a giant gingerbread. Tabac approximates that beautifully, without being sweet or overhoneyed. A deliciously comfortable masculine." [L.Turin on Tabac****, 2008]
    La Via del Profumo has yet another "tobacco" by the name of Chillum which features tobacco and sandalwood (and this is mysore sandalwood). As I own a small bottle of Tabac and a large sample of Chillum, it is easy to notice a certain similarity between the two - and both are of equal quality in terms of scent and wearability IMO. So, for those looking for a good "tobacco", I'd recommend Tabac or Chillum. For those looking for a very good "sandalwood", I'd recommend Chillum.

Tabac Original
    both Tabaromes by Creed
    Trussardi Uomo

Vintage Tabarome - the winner in this category. I recently applied some at 5 a.m., and could still detect a whiff when I took off my shirt at midnight. Stays good throughout, no harsh or rough spots.

michael kors got the sickest sillage i have ever tested.. its to much for me, and i dont know why, but ladies goes nuts if u wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    What he said. This is a big bold tobacco fragrance. Not for the timid that's for sure. Lasts forever. Not allot going on here other than tobacco. Well worth sampling.
    I'll third this choice. Just lasts forever and smells great. Not floral or gourmand, Primrose, but give it a shot !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

Worth a try:
    Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio: Tobacco & Coffee.
    Stephanie de Saint-Aignan Tobacco Mucho. Dry tobacco.
    Odori Tabacco: adds green & leafy notes

+1 Tobacco Vanilla
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    La Via del Profumo has yet another "tobacco" by the name of Chillum which features tobacco and sandalwood (and this is mysore sandalwood). As I own a small bottle of Tabac and a large sample of Chillum, it is easy to notice a certain similarity between the two - and both are of equal quality in terms of scent and wearability IMO. So, for those looking for a good "tobacco", I'd recommend Tabac or Chillum. For those looking for a very good "sandalwood", I'd recommend Chillum.
    Thank you, Delmar! Chillum - good to know!
    My undivided respect for the quality of these perfumes hasn't helped to get me further involved. That's why I quoted someone elses review. I do think AA's creations deserve being well known.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I am leaning towards sampling Fougere Bengale and was seduced by this description on the French Web site: "A blonde tobacco fougere...prized by dandies."

I want sillage AND longevity and my experience with this line (Cuir Ottoman) usu. has both.

I know that Cuir Ottoman can be had in the 50 ml and the 100 ml sizes, but I find that some places (U.S. niche dealers) do not carry 50 ml in the Fougere Bengale. The French site says both sizes are available. ???
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th February 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Vintage Tabarome or Odori if you want loose Cuban Tobacco leaves.
    But neither are floral or gourmand at all for TS
    Tobacco Vanille if you want sweetened Pipe Tobacco with some gourmand dried fruits and cocoa.
    Tobacco Vanille lasts well into the next day.

Honorable mention to some non-niche scents gourmand/floral pipe-tobacco scents:
    Demeter Whiskey Tobacco (easily the best of all Demeter's Pipe Tobaccos, sweet and lasting)
    Bogart Pour Homme (cherry Pipe Tobacco mixed with fresh leafy/floral notes and oakmoss, lasts forever)
    Last edited by DULLAH; 15th February 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am leaning towards sampling Fougere Bengale and was seduced by this description on the French Web site: "A blonde tobacco fougere...prized by dandies."

I want sillage AND longevity and my experience with this line (Cuir Ottoman) usu. has both.

I know that Cuir Ottoman can be had in the 50 ml and the 100 ml sizes, but I find that some places (U.S. niche dealers) do not carry 50 ml in the Fougere Bengale. The French site says both sizes are available. ???
    Usually retailers only carry 100ml bottles. the official sites sells both. I am a big fan of FB, CO and Equistrius

3 more votes for:

Havana
    Tabarome
    Michael Kors
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 16th February 2010 at 12:19 AM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I'll third this choice. Just lasts forever and smells great. Not floral or gourmand, Primrose, but give it a shot !
    Number four for Acqua di Cuba - no question about it.

Fille en Aiguilles, what about this parfume? Is it a Tobacco scent with best sillage and longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by sailim View Post
    Fille en Aiguilles, what about this parfume? Is it a Tobacco scent with best sillage and longevity?
    http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancere...rance/26131037

Bogart Pour Homme its cherry tobacco.

Cuba Gold has a tobacco dry down.

And off course, tobacco vanille. Ultra sweet tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    Number four for Acqua di Cuba - no question about it.
    I am drawn to tobacco scents, and I have tried most of the ones mention. Agree with this. Easily the most convincing cigar tobacco.

I'm surprised there has been only a couple of mentions of Bogart Pour Homme on this thread. I mean, the guy wants "more bang for his buck" tobacco! What request could scream this fragrance's name any louder?

you mentioned you were also looking for a floral leather,
    so how about molinard - habanita if you don't already have it

Try Gabriela Sabatini, (womens) 1989.
    Don´t be put off by the fact it´s listed as a womens fragrance. It´s very masculine. It´s a well crafted cherry pipe tobacco fragrance with a touch of rich plum. It has great silliage and longtivity. The great thing is that it is very inexpensive. You should be able to find it very cheaply on the net.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Blog Entries

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studios.

Temperament by Franck Olivier

I think Amouage tribute attar has a really smokey scent that lasts about two days. The tiny sample I received was good for about three wearing because it only takes two dabs. One on each wrist..

My favorite absolute and absolute favorite tobacco scent is from Soivohle Studio (Liz Zorn) - it is called MEERCHAUM. This is a very potent absolute perfume oil of tobacco and a leathery leafy green underbelly. It comes as an absolute oil and only takes the brush of a drop or two - the finest tobacco fragrance I've tried.

^that sounds amazing.

I can't echo the support for TF's Tobacco Vanille - it's awful. Powerful overwhelmingly sweet vanilla and tobacco plantation strength tobacco leaf. The two notes rape your olfactory lobes without any remorse. It's one of the few fragrances I have genuinely felt nauseous wearing.

Bogart pour homme? Yes
    Burberry London? Yes
    Michael Kors? Of course (no pun intended)
    Acqua di Cuba? Si senor.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Try Alt Innsbruck for a nice take on tobacco.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I'm a huge Tobaco Vanille fan.

I smelled Michael Kors for Men twice today on 2 different people. I don't own it, but dammit I think it smells awesome and will purchase it soon.

Realities which I guess is called the poor man's D&G Pour Homme...has a nice tobacco note.

I have one called Tobacco Latino by Monotheme. Very inexpensive at Perfumania. Very much a pipe tobacco fragrance.

I love Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris but don't own it yet.

Havana is a huge tobacco bomb with awesome sillage and longevity and drydown.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Basenotes Member

Definitely recommend Bogart Pour Homme - Cherry Tobacco & Vanilla - great stuff!!!

Old thread, but get your hands on some Czech & Speake Cuba--vintage if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    3 more votes for:

Havana
    Tabarome
    Michael Kors
    y is ther no mention of balderssarini by hugo boss , the top note is tobacco .. what is wrong with u ppl