Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boston 2010 Basenotes World Wide Meet-Up

This perfumista should be wearing a t-shirt that says: "I survived basenotes Boston 2010"! Seriously...heading out to the Boston wonderland weekend, A La Nuit gently graced my pulsepoints. This morning I'm f'ing doused in Habanita! Which goes to prove, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! The city of Boston itself is rich in history, brimming with breathtaking architecture, gourmet restaurants, cultural diversity, and the best of the best luxury boutiques! Nothing, however, compares to the loving kindness freely flowing through the basenotes friends (and their extended family/friends) I was so fortunate to meet. Our time together was short but precious. Life lessons were shared, in between the spritzing & sniffing. Come to find out I DO LIKE NOTES OF ROSE! Neil Morris' new Rose Tattoo was an instant favorite. (not to mention Burnt Amber, October, & Summer of Love! I actually bought them all!!!) Having the chance to meet Neil & David was one of the many gifts I received! Ida, Gabrielle and Mark ~ whose souls are now permanently etched inside my own ~ Joy, Lisa, Lesley, Catherine & Catherine, Adam, Jarvis, "Mo", all treasures beyond compare! Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge of perfumes, and of life!
    Nobody can put THAT in a bottle! I'll probably be on this "basenotes weekend high" for a few more days...but for now I'll finish drinking my gigantic "Southie" cup of coffee and fiddle with my camera/computer to try and get photo's online...xoxo

Default Re: Boston 2010 Basenotes World Wide Meet-Up

Glad to read that you had such fun, but I'm jealous that I wasn't there.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm also glad it was a succes
    and I'm also jaloux as hell ...

Blog Entries

Sounds like a blast. I can't wait for the pictures and lots of perfume descriptions!

Let's just say that it was truly wonderful !

Many thanks to SMM and Neiman Marcus's Ann Fanning for making it so pleasurable ;-)

[Sak's gave us 15% off on the Guerlains- and still had bee bottles of Attrape Coeur and Philtre D'Amour in stock...!]

There was a lovely cross-pollination of young and less-young, newbies and older members.

I was thrilled to be able to steal precious time with each of the folks; Junie and I hit The Colonial together-
    And whatever wasn't in stock, or wasn't practical, I decanted for our girl.
    It was my pleasure;-)
    [BTW- Miz Joy- I have a bunch o' green jus for you I need to send out !!! I missed you on Sunday !]

I'll bet lots of folks are tired today...

Yeah, double-thanks to SMM again for taking the time to put this all together; everyone really had a great time. It was really nice to see the variety of people who attended as well. I'm giving my nose another day to fully recover, then it's time to start wearing the new acquisitions and working through all the free samples!

Basenotes Institution

I've been waiting for a post from the weekend all morning - thanks sweetie.

Talking Re: Boston 2010 Basenotes World Wide Meet-Up

(re-post from the original thread - just wanted to be sure to thank everyone really thoroughly!)

To all who went, I just wanted to say thank you again for such an amazing time this weekend! I’m a local, but never knew how many great fragrance adventures were to be found in Boston! And as newbie, I couldn’t have wished for more wonderful company from the basenoters (& other friends) along the way – everyone I met was just so incredibly kind and fun and generous and witty and knowledgeable (am I gushing yet?). My nose has still not recovered from all the perfumed delights -- visiting the various stores with their huge selections was overwhelming (in a really good way), and special thanks to the folks at Neiman Marcus who treated us so generously (& Saks!). It was also a huge honor to meet Neil Morris, who is just amazingly talented, and he and David Garten were so warm and welcoming and provided a fantastically fragrant and fun Sunday afternoon! And, of course, enormous thanks to Somerville Metro Man for so thoughtfully putting all this together – what a great weekend! Yay! Can’t wait to do it again

Blog Entries

Wow, this sounds fantastic! Maybe there should be an annual event? A new tradition? (maybe it's already an old tradition, but as a new member I know little). I'd love to be able to participate. Tried to do it this time, but couldn't.

I need to make a public and formal apology for my brutal verbal assault upon the many French fragrances and fragrance house names. Poor Brielle's ears were continually defiled by my twangy, flat Midwestern American manner of speech. At one point, while sniffing some Patou's, her spinal column bristled & I'm pretty sure a blood vessel in her gorgeous European head almost burst! I am heartily sorry for the pain and suffering inflicted upon my fellow basenoters. But still, I LOVE the smell of DJEDI!!! May the force be with you! (xoxo)

Basenotes Institution

What a fab time Thanks for the updates !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I need to make a public and formal apology for my brutal verbal assault upon the many French fragrances and fragrance house names. Poor Brielle's ears were continually defiled by my twangy, flat Midwestern American manner of speech. At one point, while sniffing some Patou's, her spinal column bristled & I'm pretty sure a blood vessel in her gorgeous European head almost burst! I am heartily sorry for the pain and suffering inflicted upon my fellow basenoters. But still, I LOVE the smell of DJEDI!!! May the force be with you! (xoxo)
    Your French sounded positively and beautifully mellifluous to my Bostonian ears!

xox
    phthalo

Basenotes Plus

You folks have perfectly captured the equal parts exhilaration and exhaustion of a frag meetup! There really is nothing like it.

Thanks to all for your updates, look forward to more!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Oh, I wish I could have joined in! I'm glad it was a smashing success!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

As I said on another thread, David & I had such a great time seeing all of you! I wish Quarry could have made it - would have loved meeting her. Thank you all for coming by! You all smell MARVELOUS!!

Love, Neil

I am so excited to read about your perfume adventures in Boston.
    It sounds like it was a lot of fun. Please keep posting your impressions, I want to feel like I was there!
    Evenstar

Goodness!!!! I spent this whole day in bed, I needed to recuperate from one of the best weekends in my life.
    I cannot begin to tell everyone how wonderful it was to spend time with and share such glorious experiences with all who were here this weekend. I believe we all took away memories that we shall hold dearly for the rest of our days, that is how much fun we had.
    What made this whole thing even more special for me was the pleasure of entertaining, Lisa (Pomander), Joy (Quarry), Mark (SMM) and June (Ubu) at my new house on Friday evening; which was a mini-house warming get-together with friends and family. ***Mama wanted me to give you all her love, she hopes to see everyone again in the future.
    Now just to clarify, Ubu did not desecrate the french language as much as she implies...but I will forever think of my Djedi as Jedi from now on. Yes June, may the force be with us You know I love you
    I wish I could truly convey the heartfelt joy with which I am fondly remembering everything and everyone, including local members who I met and hope to see on a regular basis, because they are such a pleasure to chat with. It was just "that" wonderful of a time.
    A HUGE thanks to Mark for all his hard work in bringing all the pieces together. Darling, you really outdid yourself. Big hugs and kisses.
    Neil, well he is and has always been such a darling to me and like my special "daddy", you know I love you (who's your little girl) and he is truly the maitre parfumeur of this new millenia. You really all need to experience his creations to understand why this is so true.
    And of course, David. David opened up his glorious home to us on a Sunday morning and welcomed us with open arms, pastries and of course a table set with Neil's glorious masterpieces, talk about a "meal fit for a king". I just adore you David xxxxooo
    Everyone at Neimans, most who I have known since I was very young, was wonderful. They truly treated us as if we were royalty, which we are, and had a spread fit for royalty; cheeses, crudites, shrimp and of course champagne; Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte to be exact, a lovely choice. Ann Fanning was wonderful, as she has always been. Debra (who I have known for most of my life) and Adele on Creed were just too accommodating for words, let it suffice to say "let the decants roll...", truly generous (thanks for the Sublime Vanille). Eddie with Chantecaille was a delight and so pleased to answer questions and have feedback on the three new scents. Andrea, who represented both Nicole Miller and David Yurman was such a delight to chat with and quite down-to-earth without any airs; a wonderful quality to find in a person at a high-end store.
    Fiona at Chanel was heaven on earth, she was not only a wealth of Chanel information, but also one of the sweetest, kindest and lovely people anyone could hope to meet. She even did my make-up, which was a treat since it has been ages since any has touched my face; house restoration does not really merit it. Any and all who visit Boston need to make a pilgrimage to Chanel and chat with Fiona, it will be well worth it.

Most of all though, a huge thanks for all my fellow BNers who helped give me a weekend that will stay in my heart forever. Each one of you left such a magical imprint on me that my heart will feel heavy until we all meet-up again, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later. Even though I know it will be harder to see those from out of the area- Mo, June, Catherine and of course Joy, I will make the effort to try and come visit your neck of the woods also, it was that special of an experience.
    Well, at this point I am rambling on and becoming a bit weepy, so I will say a huge thanks again to everyone who made this weekend so wonderful.
    "May the force be with you"
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Sounds like you all had a great time! I hope someone will tell us more about Colonial Drug-- what brands/perfumes they carry, are there testers etc? We are hoping to take our daughter to Boston soon (my husband started his 2 weeks of vacation today) and daughter seems to want to wander around Cambridge, exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Sounds like you all had a great time! I hope someone will tell us more about Colonial Drug-- what brands/perfumes they carry, are there testers etc? We are hoping to take our daughter to Boston soon (my husband started his 2 weeks of vacation today) and daughter seems to want to wander around Cambridge, exploring.
    Oh, do let me know when you will be in the area. I would love to meet up with you and of course DD.

Blog Entries

You are very kind, Brielle! We are still floating ideas for day trips for this vacation but I will definitely let you know, if we do decide to drive up to Boston!

Oh, I so wish that I could have been there! The weekend sounds like such a whirlwind of pleasure. Perhaps next year?

sounds wonderful! sorry to have missed it, but eagerly awaiting photos!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

had to go searching for rose tattoo...here's a great description:

http://www.cafleurebon.com/new-fragr...ttoo-giveaway/
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

That's MY article, silly !
    You don't recognize your own ????
    [Just kiddin' ;-0 ]

If you come to Boston, we'll ALL meet up !

Poor Therese
    I hope your tummy is better ...
    I would have LOVED to have you; you have a bed here, any day.

wah! Sorry, chaya...I think your description is fabulous, and enjoyed reading it...now I am lusting to sample this frag...rose is one of my soft spots. Thanks for sharing this in such an engaging way

My pleasure, RT ! ;-)
    I'm only teasing- I hope, gently !

I really thought it was time to bring Neil to the foreground again, you know ?
    Our economy has been rough on everyone :-(

But foremost, it's about raising awareness of 'hidden gems' out there.
    And ALL the more delightful, when we know there is a face- and personal integrity- attached to the jus-
    Not just a huge corporation.

[My hippie-dippie crinoline is showing , huh?
    Where's my mood ring ? ;-0 ]

You are speaking to one who shops at the local bookstore rather than amazon, even if it does mean a few extra dollars, and actually BECAUSE it means a few extra dollars to the family run business that makes the town unique.
    Thanks for peaking my interest now...I imagine that Rose Tattoo would go nicely with my maxi dress

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Ooooo...sounds like it was a wonderful gathering! Ubi I cannot wait to see some PICS!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Like Brielle I also have needed some down time to gather myself before writing about the weekend.
    That will come later today or tomorrow.
    Pictures are easy and here is one from Sunday with Neil Morris.
    In the foreground you will notice the number of sample sprayers, Neil brought out all of his vault fragrances plus six new ones!

I'll be back with a full write-up in a bit.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

SMM--I love the way the photo echoes your profile picture!
    You all look and smell terrific!

Basenotes Institution

Lovely pic!

Thanks for posting the photo SMM! My pics are still "stuck" in my camera

Rtamara ~ Chayaruchama's review of Rose Tattoo is what got my curiosity going in the first place. It was love at first sniff! Each phase of it's evolution on my skin is equally compelling and gorgeous. Each of us was quite impressed by Rose Tattoo.

FYI, Saks in Boston offers virtually all the Guerlains!!! They also carry the By Kilian line, not to mention Bond No.9, Jo Malone, and a slough of others. Friendly & knowledgeable service as well.

Neimans offers Creed's en mass! As well as Atelier, Chantecaille, Hermes, Jo Malone, etc. Ann and the rest of her staff are extremely personable and accomodating.

Personal treasures I was introduced to on this scented weekend:

Quartz pour Femme by Molyneux
    Habanita
    Caron pour Homme
    Derby
    Philtre d'Amour
    Vega
    Oriental Brulant
    T.Wassers new Eau de Cologne for Guerlain
    AA Herba Fresca
    By Kilian - the entire range of fragrances
    Chantecaille's 3 new releases due Sept. (!!!)
    Nuit de Tubereuse
    L'Artisan's newest 'vetiver sacre' (sorry, forget the actual name!)
    Acqua Fiorentina
    Rykiel for Women, not for men
    Rose Tattoo
    October
    Burnt Amber
    Summer of Love
    Voices
    Hermes Voyage
    Vanille & Anise
    Sublime Vanille
    Original Vetiver
    Djedi
    Fath de Fath

Biggest disappointments:

Chanel's Bleu (new masculine)
    Everything Byredo
    Natori

Thanks chaya and rtamara - Rose Tattoo is now on my must-try-rose radar! I'm glad y'all had such a spectacular time!

So ubu - which of those treasures made it home with you?

Hi, gang!!! I'm still recovering (by the end of both days, my nose was pulling "mint" from combinations of grapefruit and a couple of different sharp wood notes - but it did the same thing to David Garten, so I know I'm not *totally* crazy!), and still glowing from all the BN wonderfulness... WHAT a wonderful time!

It's not a usual occurence for me, but I'm a bit at a loss for words. Suffice it to say that whenever memories of this past weekend cross my mind (which they are doing frequently) I start hopping up and down with delight on the inside.

So many wonderful people, both newbies and more established BNers, and more than a little champagne (whee!)... And Brielle's phenomenal early birthday cake (which I got 'late,' but still early, go figure!) is, um, gone. :embarrassed:

Meanwhile, I'm singing like Chaya on the inside. Quarry, I am *still* hugging you! And Ubu, this one's for you:

Phthalo, Lesley, Nvrlnd, Jarvis, Pomander, Whiffman ()... THANK YOU everyone, and especially to our wonderful SMM, for a truly fantastic experience...
    Last edited by ComDiva; 27th July 2010 at 04:28 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

ComDiva!!! You know how to spoil me! xoxo AND, you know the good stuff! (For those of you who don't know, ComDiva has exquisite taste in shoes. If I had an unlimited budget, she'd be my personal shoe shopper in a blink!)

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Thanks chaya and rtamara - Rose Tattoo is now on my must-try-rose radar! I'm glad y'all had such a spectacular time!

So ubu - which of those treasures made it home with you?

TOO MANY! - of course

Well, some by purchase and some by personal gift, others by generous decant:

By Kilian Voyage set (all 8 in .25 oz sized bottles!)
    Habanita
    Djedi (for the love of God! xoxo)
    Songes
    Fath de Fath
    Rykiel for Women not for men
    Vanilla & Anise - FB
    Sublime Vanille
    Acqua Fiorentina - FB
    Oriental Brulant - FB
    Quartz - FB
    Yuzu
    Orange Jasmine body scrub (by Brommley - YUM!)
    Assorted soaps, creams, lotions
    (ordered from Neil Morris -)
    October - FB
    Burnt Amber - FB
    Summer of Love - FB
    Rose Tattoo - split

* I was trying to stimulate our economy!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 27th July 2010 at 06:54 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Must do much "un"ing before posting all that's in my heart. Am still un-packing and un-winding. BN weekend was bookended with other events and dear ones — a triathlon of pleasures.

Must attend to clients, laundry, fur tumbleweeds, but my mind is always on these brilliant people. Their voices float about my memories. The most powerful recollections of events and emotions have almost nothing to do with perfume.

I said almost …

Today I'm wearing Limited Edition Dior Lily, which I will forever associate with the peacefulness of this place in morning light ~ Maison de Brielle.

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Sounds like all went well. Funds permitting, I'd love to be at the next one!

Another jealous one here...pictures are fab!!!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Yay for pics! I love seeing your faces! Sheesh, it must have been hot, though! We had record breaking heat here in the mid Atlantic. But it looks like it was a fun event, and I'm glad you all enjoyed it so much.

p.s. Is that pic at the bottom of Qarry's post Chez Brielle? If so, what a change! Those wall colors are soooo pretty!

I say as Lilybelle "YAY FOR PICS"!!!

Thanks for posting your impressions, I´m eagerly waiting for more...

So glad to hear you all seemed to have an ab fab time together!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Beantown will never smell the same.
    Sorry I missed this one, it sounds like everyone had a smashing time!

It sounds like a wonderful time! I hope this does become a yearly event, because I want to go next time, most definitely!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

TRIP REPORT

WEDNESDAY • MILWAUKEE PROVIDES NEW SCENTS TO GO

Even before boarding the train in Wisconsin, I’d harvested perfumes. It just so happens the Blush boutique sits directly across the Milwaukee River from the Amtrak station, so I popped in long enough to buy some Lucy B. Pink Frangipani and to sample Tiare Coconut on one wrist and Australian Wild Jasmine on the other. PF is so sweet and natural, it could be a breakfast juice. TC and AWJ are just okay in comparison. Despite being composed of “pure extracts of plants, trees, fruit, and herbs”—usually predictors of brief longevity—these fragrances will last 24 hours. While checking out, I related where I was headed, and the lovely SA Sarah loaded me up with Diptyque samples, including the new Vetyverio! I need to do more testing, but my first impression is generally positive.

THURSDAY/FRIDAY • FRAMINGHAM, DANVILLE AND A MIX OF PLEASURES

Thursday night my friend Nick rescued me from the train tracks in Framingham, Mass. Although I’ve known him for more than 10 years and have worked on landscape-related publications with him, this was our first meeting. He proved as kind, smart and charismatic as I might hope. Friday morning he guided me through the legendary Garden in the Woods. Being as familiar with a native plant sale table as I am the perfume counter, I was happy to see familiar potted plants on display at the site’s entrance. I asked what I assumed to be two employees if I could take their photo as a tourist’s memento. They grinned willingly. As it turned out, they’re fellow Milwaukee suburbanites. (Go figure.) Nick also gave me a tour of a home landscape he’s been developing and a landscape he installed at the Mount Auburn Cemetery, built on extreme terrain and imbued with an unparalleled view of Boston. (Overt promotion: If you’d like Nick to provide a similar tour experience, I know he’d accommodate interested parties as his schedule permits. Those in the area in need of a landscape consultant, designer, installer, and/or maintainer would do well to take advantage of this ecologically minded soul. Can you tell I prize this person, his skills and values?)

PALMED OFF ON POMANDER: Pomander arrived to collect me from the cemetery just as rain began to fall. Enough time for a hug and snapshot with Nick before heading to Brielle’s. I know Pomander has developed herself as a person, but I can’t help but believe she was gifted at conception with a lush and languid quality that beautifies any space she enters. She could get by in life just working her charms, but I was delighted to learn she applies her brain in laudable scientific work. You will find her ever carrying cylinders of Chanel, like a diabetic reliant on insulin. Don’t you just love it?

LA MAISON DE BRIELLE: I hardly know how to begin talking about the home I had the privilege to live in for two days with Brielle and family. I’ll show you just a few snaps of dozens I shot. I thought I’d caught every historic detail my husband would want to see, but it was pointed out to me that he would have appreciated a closeup of the nail heads on the floor boards.

Of course there was food. Good lord, there was food. The gustatory moment I’ll forever remember though, is when Brielle’s best friend, Diana, walked up and put a buttercream frosting-covered half strawberry in my mouth. Exquisite.
    Here’s the sexy part you’ve been waiting for — see that cabinet in the corner opened teasingly? That’s where Brielle has transported a portion of her collection (she’s in the process of moving — can you believe someone who’s willing to entertain guests in the midst of a move?!). And that’s where SMM, Ubu, Pomander and I experienced scent odysseys from which we returned with treasures. Without reserve, Brielle and Diana decanted and labeled samples for us. Belle Epoque and Djedi? Unfricking believable, right? This much fun should be illegal, and, from the looks of us sitting on the floor, huffing and sniffing, you’d have thought our activity was just that.

SATURDAY ~ DOING BOSTON
    Honestly, while I had a want-to-sniff list, it was too hard to concentrate on scent when seeing Boston and a dozen Basenoters all at once and for the first time. As you know, BNers are not ordinary, and this group included an all-star cast with characters chock-full of life force. As it happens, most are crusaders working noble deeds — bettering medical, emotional, and societal ills. I did buy Mitsouko edp at Saks as planned, but I’d rather have spent that money at Neiman-Marcus because they were the most gracious in looking after us with champagne and cheeses and shrimp. I hereby resolve, and suggest to you, that when given the option, shop N-M first!

Only do BNers recognize that this does NOT mean “talk to the hand.”
    (Ubuandibeme remains my favorite model.)

SUNDAY ~ ON THE (RAIL)ROAD AGAIN
    Now four days away from home and besieged with stimulation, I used the early morning hours to shower and pull my stuff and myself together, to photograph Brielle’s home by morning light, and to revisit her fragrance cabinet in quiet reverence before my exhausted hosts could even stir from their bed. Sensing myself and the moment as too delicate for any of the many grand blends, eyes and nose drifted down through the shelves until meeting the box simply labeled Lily. A sniff of the nozzle, and I knew this is what would parallel my mood. Not even aiming for skin, I sprayed into the air and let a modicum of molecules settle down on my head and shoulders. It was a perfect choice.

Some coffee, heartfelt discussion, and a flutter of activity got me to the train station just in time to leave Boston midday, regretfully missing Neil Morris and more fun with these interesting people. Once ensconced in sleeper accommodations, I could finally review all that had been put in my hands. Aboard the jostling train I studied the gifts from my friends (save one which, according to Brielle, I was not to open until I got home) and the many samples from the stores, and arranged them on my suitcase for an all-inclusive photo. One of the Atelier postcards even seemed to represent my natural-world exploration with Nick. After capturing the collective visual essence in the camera, I unwrapped my bottle of Mitsouko and partook of a small inaugural spray (not wanting to affect the next occupant of roomette #9). It smelled heavenly.

MONDAY ~ CHICAGO
    The ride home was pleasant, although I still couldn’t bring myself to sleep on schedule. Arriving in Chicago, I met up with my sweet husband. We chose to just walk about and not try to take in too much, since I was feeling a mite drained. I had to show him the Merz Apothecary subdivision within Macy’s if, for no other reason, to at least see the varied antique showcases they use to house their wares. (Okay, so I did trial a shot of Diptyque Jardin Clos.) We sampled the city’s sights, but had a hard time making sense of an open lot with architectural debris, some of it charred. Turns out this is staging for an upcoming shoot for the next Transformers movie.

HOME: My pets and the mosquitoes demonstrated delight in my return home. I unpacked all I’d toted half way cross country and ceremoniously pulled off the tissue paper from the mystery box Brielle had pushed into my bag. It was the Christian Dior Lily! It’s the best lily-of-the-valley to my nose, surpassing my pricey Comme des Garcons Lily. Looking for its register in the Basenotes directory, I have to laugh at the review there that starts out “Too green” — for the umpteenth time, someone else has to point out to me that something I like has obvious green qualities. I always fail to note it.

My thanks to Brielle for many things and to her husband Nate, mother Doris, and Bichon Frisé Gigi for making me feel so at home. SMM, I doubly adore you. Hugs again to everyone. If I had more time, I’d say all the things I’m thinking about you. Thank you for rides, samples, hugs, and conversations.

THE NEXT BASENOTES MEET UP
    If no one cares to challenge me, I’ll volunteer to coordinate for New Orleans in 2011 — I’m thinking autumn, when the weather shouldn’t be too hot. NOLA has a Saks Fifth Avenue where we could check out the new fall releases, but it’s the perfumeries on Bourbon Street that warrant the pilgrimage.

Quarry, I love reading your trip reports and looking at your pics. It all sounds like fun, and I’d bet serious money that you’re a hoot of a traveling companion. Going by train in a sleeper car sounds great. I wish I could talk my husband into it, but he’s too hyper. Who do I see there with that adorable doggie (of course, my eyes went right to the doggie), is that Chaya? I love your faces! Thanks so much again for the vicarious thrill.

THE NEXT BASENOTES MEET UP
    If no one cares to challenge me, I’ll volunteer to coordinate for New Orleans in 2011 — I’m thinking autumn, when the weather shouldn’t be too hot. NOLA has a Saks Fifth Avenue where we could check out the new fall releases, but it’s the perfumeries on Bourbon Street that warrant the pilgrimage.
    Count me in. I’m going. I don’t care what else happens, I’m going to that one.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Yes, of course that's Chaya, animal lover. The pup was actually passing through Neiman-Marcus.
    French toast breakfast aboard Amtrak.
    Hyper people BELONG on the train. There's so much room to walk, especially if there's an observation car. I had to walk eight railcar lengths to get from the sleeper to the diner (I had the trout, while others at my table had lamb shank or steak [meals are included in the price of sleeper accommodations]).
    You know I'm a hoot. Blessed me, I even had myself in hysterics at a couple points, notably in Hermes where I was talking about differences in forearm skin and forgot to say the word arm.

I was talking about differences in forearm skin and forgot to say the word arm.
    Now I really am LOL! Yes, I think a hyper person is better on a train walking around than on a plane strapped in, but I don't know if he could stay that long on a train. Maybe I should have said ADHD. I won't tell you what he said when I asked him whether he'd like to rent a horse drawn caravan for a road trip/camping week in France.

Joy! Your talents are neverending...writing, photography, comedy (ha! That Hermes scene - pondering the differences in foreskin - must have had them rolling!) Wish we had more 1 on 1 time. That's sort of the downside to a larger meet up. Still, I wouldn't have missed it for anything. What an adventure! xoxo

Basenotes Plus

I am just loving the additional reportage -- and the photos! FABULOUS!

Miss Quarry, I am simultaneously admiring the "you-are-there" immediacy to your writing and cracking up at the crucial omission of "arm" from "forearm" at Hermes. Chapeau, chapeau!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

What a treat it was to read your account, Miz Quarry, and to see the photos of our fragrant friends having such fun! Love the photos of Brielle's house – WOW to photos AND house!

New Orleans next fall? If it's a go, I will really really really try to be there!

Quarry, fabulous post! Breille...your house...I"m speechless!

Basenotes Institution

Quarry - thank you for a wonderful read and great pictures. So good to see you all . I would love to meet you all one day !
    Brielle- you have a beautiful home ! HUGS !

I had guests (my best friend, her sweet husband and their two adorable little girls) visiting since Sunday (Day 2 of the Basenotes meet-up which I did not attend for this reason) through today. Hence, my late entry into the chronicles of the AMAZING Scent Holiday with fellow (and much loved) Basenoters.

First of all, as the others have done, let me please thank the most wonderful SMM, for organizing this fantastic weekend, even in the face of challenges beyond his control. Mark...you are the sweetest, most honorable man I've known to date. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

FRIDAY: My fantastic BN weekend began with the much anticipated meeting of Quarry. This woman has graced Basenotes with her wit, care and all around amazingness (some have referred to her as "Queen Quarry" which she of course, blushes at - but totally deserves) for some time. Indeed, I couldn't wait to meet her. Well, let me just say, Quarry is the most naturally stunning woman you could ever meet (look at that face... it's gorgeous!) and oh yes, has a soul that hugs you just by being in her presence. We met, gushed, talked and became Basenotes buddies as we drove to NH to spend the evening at Brielle”s house.

Brielle: Tall, dark and lovely…this woman is the epitome of grace, charm and hospitality. Brielle’s farmhouse and family are both…exquisite. Quarry and I arrived early, and were welcomed with open arms. The beauty of her house was astounding, but her Mother, Best Friend Diana and Inlaws were the show stoppers. What sweet and interesting people they all are. Thank you Brielle for a fantastic time! I will treasure it always (especially sitting on the floor upstairs smelling perfumes until 1:30 am). Oh, and the food was fabulous!!!

SATURDAY: SMM welcomed us all at the Taj Hotel (formally the Ritz). After a lot of “Oh you’re [insert avatar here], it’s SOOOO great to meet you!” s, we were on our way to perfume pleasures. I can’t possibly describe any better than has already been described, the amazing experiences we all had. So let me just say that Ubu’s oh-so-intelligent humor (and the best laugh ever!), Knit-At-Nite’s profound sensibilities and awe of scents, Chaya’s sensuality and worldliness, ComDiva’s energy and red-headed spark, Leslie’s sweetness and grace, Jarvis with his honor, Catherine’s enthusiasm and cerebral contributions, SMM’s warmth and shepharding ways (not to mention, his enabling ways). Oh I can’t possibly describe everyone’s charms, but please know that everyone played an important role in this fantastic weekend – mentioned here or not.

Thanks to all of you…and I hope we can continue to share our passion for many more years…and with other Basenoters as well. Let the force be with us…forever.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

After reading all the fun we shared "en groupe" the thing that made me laugh out loud was the remembrance of Joy at Hermes enlightening us to the differences in "fore [arm] skin". That was such a funny moment in time and captures our wonderfully kooky, fun, crazy, passionate, camaraderie filled weekend.

I am so pleased that everyone enjoyed my humble home and food, I want it to be a welcome place for all. So if anyone else will be up this way, feel free to visit.

Oh, forgot to update on my laryngitis; I finally have my voice back, well almost fully back. It only took 3 days of recuperating, but it was so worth it.

Joy, my darling Joy, seeing my house through your lens makes me love it (and you) even more. The sweet simplicity (in and of itself so elegant) with which these photos capture the tranquility of my home and the tranquility of my special moments shared with you is amazing. We all (including the homestead) will be waiting patiently for your return visit, hopefully with hubby.

I cannot think of a more wonderful group of people to go traipsing through the streets, boutiques and high-end stores with than all of you.

Now I am all teary eyed again. {{{{{Hugs}}}} all around. As the saying goes "Next year in [Jerusalem] New Orleans". It is an inside funny

what a pleasure to read about this trip and view the photos. Thanks for the vicarious thrill, glimpses of beauty and laughs! I shall put the idea of the New Orleans trip into my wish box

Thanks so much for the wonderful accounts and beautiful pictures! It was apparently beyond a mere success - you are all so lucky to have been a part of it!

Quarry - I can't say for sure where I'll be next Fall as we already have several potential conflicts, but I'm at your service if there's anything you need when trying to pin down the logistics of the event. As far as fragrance goes, you already know about Bourbon French, Hové and Saks, but there are two perfume shops in the Riverwalk Marketplace both on the first level - The Fragrance Shop and Perfumania. And I usually find a vintage treasure or two in one of dozens of antique stores in the Quarter and along Magazine Street, and maybe an eclectic niche line in some chic boutique. Anyway, I'll let you know if I come across anything new or interesting in the next few weeks, but please let me know if you need anything else!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Brielle, you reminded me that the sitting-on-the-floor scene was at 1:30 a.m., and I'm tired all over again.

A tear has formed in the corner of my eye having read Pomander and Brielle's posts. And, Ubu, I, too (this is shaping up to be an interesting sentence, isn't it?) wish we could have had more face time. Which makes me think that the New Orleans battle plan has to allow for adequate interpersonal interludes, which the French Quarter might easily accommodate. What'd ya think — coffee and beignets every 2-3 hours? Thank you, Evangeline, of course I'll take advantage of you. I didn't even think about antiquing for frags/bottles. Perhaps we can get a group rate for lodging in one place so that little energy will get siphoned off for traveling around and meeting up.

I just scrolled up this thread, looking at those who posted, and thought … oh, yes, I want to meet you … and you.

I'm getting very excited now about NO.

I'm happily reading every post about every wonderful moment of the weekend. Thank you to all who have written about their experiences. I love the pictures, too!

I'm wishing that I can/will make it to the next one. Maybe I'll use some of my frequent flyer miles...hmmmm....

Just getting caught up on this thread. I had fun, and it was lovely to see everyone. I'm resolving to read and post more often on basenotes, too, so I don't miss out on future love-fests.

jarvis