Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which masculine aromatic fougère?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Azzaro PH

29 34.94%
  • YSL Rive Gauche PH

48 57.83%
  • Neither, I would choose...

6 7.23%

Default Azzaro PH vs. YSL Rive Gauche PH

Looking for a masculine aromatic fougère for my collection and am kinda undecided about these two.

Azzaro PH is slightly sweeter, smoother, whilst Rive Gauche PH has this prominent clove note that stays till the drydown, making it more rough.

Which one would you choose? You can take the poll if you wish.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Default Re: Azzaro PH vs. YSL Rive Gauche PH

Azzaro ph

YSL RG PH for me!!!
    Gary

I like RG a bit better than the recently reformulated Azzaro (yeah, I know most people think it didn't change much). Both are fantastic though!

RGPH is perhaps easier to wear on a daily basis, but Azzaro pour Homme is a lot more interesting in the long run.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st August 2010 at 01:12 AM.

RIVE GAUCHE. azzaro is a nice frag but RG is "the one".

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Azzaro PH is slightly sweeter, smoother, whilst Rive Gauche PH has this prominent clove note that stays till the drydown, making it more rough.
    Ha! Good ol' Basenotes...I find the exact opposite to be true. I agree that RG has the clove note, but I think the clove (and the creamy patch) is what makes it seem smoother than Azzaro to me.

That said, I like Azzaro PH more. It's rougher to me, and yes, RG feels more "evolved"....but APH is rough and unevolved in a good way! Love those aromatics!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I find the current formulation of Azzaro PH to be less intense and far less lasting, so Rive Gauche by far - masculine yet modern take on fougere, fresh, clean and very long lasting.

PS - subtract a vote from RG and add one to APH. I replied and didn't vote, then when I reaccessed the thread to vote, it said I'd already voted, and counted an extra vote for RG!!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

For my money, Azarro PH is the pinnacle of aromatic fougeres but both are so good and so cheap that I would recommend getting both.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    ... but both are so good and so cheap that I would recommend getting both.
    Yeah, me too.

I've gone for YSL, although I hear amazing things bout the drydown of Azzaro (I can't seem to smell anything different).

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Yeah, me too.
    Me three.

Azzaro every time. In my opinion it is THE aromatic fougere. RG smelled initially very appealing to me but the star anise and Iso e Super overdose really grated on me after a while. I find it tiring in the way that an overproduced record is, just burns me out.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I'm not very good with individual notes, but I'd say Rive Gauche isn't as dramatic as Azzaro pH--as in it doesn't have the bright top notes, nor the darker base notes. I'd say that for daytime wear, go with Rive Gauche. For evening wear and/or when you want a quality, masculine attention-getter, Azzaro wins.

Both solid scents, and priced so reasonably, I say get both. If you can only get one, Rive Gauche.

Go with the Gauche!

I like APH's overall presentation .. but Rive Gauche PH's fantastic smoky barbershop/shaving cream accord is addictive despite a base which features a not so good guaiac wood note. To me its one of Jacques Cavallier's best work.
    -

Get both, because they are both awesome and are different enough to make it worth having both.

Azzaro is smoother and slightly better balanced than Rive Gauche. On the other hand, Rive Gauche is more complex, with more distinguishable individual notes than Azzaro, and more of a barbershop vibe than Azzaro.

I love both, but I gave the slight nod to Azzaro.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Get both, because they are both awesome and are different enough to make it worth having both.
    Exactly!

I've been wanting to try RG now for a while, so I can't really say anything on that. As for ApH, to me, comparing anything in its category (70's 80's powerhouses/aromatics/fougeres/etc) is gonna be a gamble. I think ApH is at the top of the list for its category, and even the top of the list in men's fragrances all together. It's simply amazing how a fragrance can be so masculine, so well blended, project perfectly, and compromise nothing. No flaws. Appeals to both the young crowd, the older crowd, and the ladies. And best of all, at least to me and my picky nose.. I tend to be able to sniff out these harsh chemicals, like Giorgio although well crafted has a chemical smell of burning plastic; i get no harsh chemical odors from ApH. You can never go wrong with ApH, though I haven't tried RG yet, so I won't jump to conclusions fully, but for me, I don't see many if any that will ever knock it out of the top of its category.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 27th July 2010 at 09:14 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Azzaro pH.

But get both, if you can. And Canoe by Dana.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I've had both, but then I swapped away my Azzaro PH. I just found it too old school for me. Rive Gauche is an interesting modern-old scent, so it gets my vote.

I love both. But Rive Gauche has, in my opinion, an additional note of versatility and modernity, being a very crisp and surprisingly clean, almost puristically smelling frag

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

Is Canoé similar to RG and APH?

Thanks for your input guys!

This is my second consecutive day wearing them both on each arm. I am still undecided. They are remarkable similar aromatic fougères, though yet so different in the details!!! I know they both are cheap and could easily buy them both, but I would still feel that's inefficient in my collection.

I'm also smiling to see most people find Rive Gauche PH easier to wear, as I myself slightly prefer Azzaro PH in terms of wearability. Also, very far in the drydown of Rive Gauche PH, I smell the peppery-muskiness that Bulgari PH has - far, far in *its* drydown.

I kinda like the 'oomph' that the extra clove note makes in Rive Gauche PH, but I also really love the sweet smoothness of Azzaro PH. I enjoy the definite masulinity in both. Very difficult, people!
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Easy one for me. Azzaro pour Homme has one of the best drydowns. Rive Gauge PH just doesn't agree with my skin somehow - it makes me nauseous.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Is Canoé similar to RG and APH?
    Canoe is simpler in composition, but almost as beautiful scent-wise as ApH, IMO.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I can't believe so many BNers find ApH sweeter than RG! To me, it's not even close: ApH is bitter and aromatic straight through to the base (making it very appropriate for even very hot weather), and RG turns quite sweet on me, and is therefore not as versatile.

Long live Antaeus!

Rive Gauche for me.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Rive Gauche for me.
    Me too.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post

Azzaro is smoother and slightly better balanced than Rive Gauche. On the other hand, Rive Gauche is more complex, with more distinguishable individual notes than Azzaro, and more of a barbershop vibe than Azzaro.

I love both, but I gave the slight nod to Azzaro.
    I agree with Shamu just about word-for-word.

I voted for Azzaro but I really would not want to be without RG PH. If you can't buy both at once, I would buy the RG first, and then save up for Azzaro. So far I like everything YSL, but only like Azzaro PH from the Azzaro house.

Azzaro PH, it's is the most refined and well balanced fougere. The best fougere however is Kouros
    Knize Ten !

RG takes this by a hair because of its superior sillage and longevity although Azzaro has that seductive aniseed note up top which makes it more pleasing and less functional.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

YSL Rive Gauche ph

Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I can't believe so many BNers find ApH sweeter than RG! To me, it's not even close: ApH is bitter and aromatic straight through to the base (making it very appropriate for even very hot weather), and RG turns quite sweet on me, and is therefore not as versatile.
    I completely agree with you on Azzaro PH, on me this scent is very bitter but also thick. I do not enjoy wearing it in warm days at all. This scent emulates best in cold days, at least to me.

none, both are dreadful. if you really have to get one, go for azzaro.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    none, both are dreadful. if you really have to get one, go for azzaro.
    Hedgehog, you may dislike azzaro and RG but dreadful they are not. they are both quality frags that are respected by many
    BN members. for me they are landmark: Azzaro was the first fragrance that started my perfume passion back in the 70' and RG
    is the one that still keeps my passion today in a era of very mediocre perfume industry. i love them both but my vote goes to RG.

I'm wearing RG right now, so I'll go from that. I find it much smoother, without the in-your-face aromatic top notes of Azzaro. RG is a much simpler composition - a fairly straight up-and-down fougere, lending to its cleaner barbershop feeling. Azzaro is much more complex and I still pick up a slight different blend of notes every time I wear it. Hard to choose, but I'd say RG if you're in your 20s or early-mid 30s, Azzaro otherwise.

Im wearing RG and not Azzaro, then my vote goes for RG.

rive gauche is nice, love it and own it but i don't reach much for it...

i think it suits more an older distinguished gentleman, refined so to speak.
    The fragrance has very clean barbershop shaving cream note, a masterpiece for sure.

Azzaro is more wearable or younger so to speak
    I am sure that you will find more opportunities to wear it than RG ph
    Last edited by perfectscent; 19th August 2010 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Azzaro pH.

The alternatives to Azzaro and Rive Gauche would be Aramis Tuscany or Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.

These are all fine everyday fragrances in my book. Choosing one over the others is entirely a matter of personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Azzaro PH, it's is the most refined and well balanced fougere. The best fougere however is Kouros
    Depends. Kouros was to sweet today while APH was quite fine, but Paco Rabanne PH was better, less of that bold sharp as APH can be. The complexity of the latter prevents it from being appealing to me.

The RG - my, today I smelled the shi* out of it. Puh! It reminds me of the story read about making leather in old Rome: human feces was collected in the streets - true - and then animal skin was tanned in it. That yielded leather. True. Who wonders why People by all means wanted to get rid of the original leather smell?!

Additionally that fore mentioned collecting of feces once in Rome was too a source of - taxes! Derived from that circumstances a sentence became famous: "Pecunia non olet" - Money doesn't stink.

RG, not for me at least today, puhh.

My wife really likes both of these on me, but RG is one of her faves.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Exactly!
    +2 more is always better (when getting frags that is)

if I had to choose then it'll be RGPH