Code of Conduct

Thread: Gendarme.

Default Gendarme.

What is so special about Gendarme, with so many celebrities among theys custumers?

Default Re: Gendarme.

To me, it just comes off as super-clean and unpretentious. I really enjoy it, especially the relatively new edp.

Light soapy clean. Don't really know why celebrities wear this over, say, Prada or Creed.
    I personally get a similar vibe with Creed Original Vetiver.

Sur la Plage

I find it to be "a fragrance for people who don't like fragrances". I personally like fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I find it to be "a fragrance for people who don't like fragrances". I personally like fragrances.
    I agree with this statement. This fragrance is very inoffensive. It also seems to disappear quite quickly as well. The edp lasts all of an hour on me.

I think it's because you can apply it heavily and it is indeed very inoffensive on two levels:

1- The creator developed it for himself as he has many allergies to typical frag ingedients. It is not truly hypo allergenic (the creator weighed in to tell us that in another forum I belong to). But it has carefully chosen ingredients that will perhaps be more tolerable to those with allergies.

2- It has a nice smell, that can best be described as fresh and soapy. Who knows if it's true, but I've also seen it referenced as being worn by a lot of politicians, which makes a lot of sense.

By saying it's inoffensive, I don't mean to be damning it with faint praise. It is a very nice scent indeed. Some of the flankers they've put out add different elements (20= lavender; V= vetiver). I like 20 in hot weather. Like most light scents, longevity varies, but I get about 5-6 hours out of Gendarme 20. It smells a bit like Puro Lino or a freshly pressed cotton shirt.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 27th July 2010 at 08:35 PM.

I love the clean subtle smell of Gendarme. I wear it a lot. It has a soothing quality to it. You can't apply too much. In that sense, I wish it was twice as strong...OK, maybe four times.

i will say that i owned gendarme back in college and liked it ok...i purchased it again because i now work in hospitals and ORs and did not want anything offensive tos taff or potentially allergic patients...so i got it again and I must say, wow! It starts clean and soapy and fresh laundry like, then develops into a clean, warm and MUSKY scent, yes Musky on me, but in the best possible way...like clean natural skin after a light workout...I love this stuff
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

-But it must be something veeeery special about it, when you look at that list of famous people wearing it on Parfumsraffy.com..

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I love the clean subtle smell of Gendarme. I wear it a lot. It has a soothing quality to it. You can't apply too much. In that sense, I wish it was twice as strong...OK, maybe four times.
    Adonis, I know you're a fan. Have you tried the new EdP?

What's so bad about wanting to smell very clean? Perhaps it's because me and soap have a special relationship (having OCD and all), but I love smelling of fresh soap (Dove please), and whenever I smell someone that smells of the shower, I always finding it very appealing.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Contrary to popular belief, Gendarme actually lasts quite a long time, but fades quickly to the wearer. I've gotten compliments on it after 6 hours application and I couldn't smell a damn thing. It's funny like that....

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Adonis, I know you're a fan. Have you tried the new EdP?
    Is there a new EDP? I mean, different from the EDP that's been out for a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Is there a new EDP? I mean, different from the EDP that's been out for a few years?
    That's the impression I got recently. Wish I could remember where I saw it, but I'm sure it was in here somewhere.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    -But it must be something veeeery special about it, when you look at that list of famous people wearing it on Parfumsraffy.com..
    Is that like all of the famous people who supposedly wear/wore Creed?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My theory has always been that in the acting profession or as a celebrity they often come in close proximity to other co-workers while under a lot of stress and hot lights; the need for an inoffensive fragrance is evident. According to a typical celebrity I have read about, they probably encounter more people in a year than an average individual does in their lifetime; again, supporting the desire not to offend.

I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Is that like all of the famous people who supposedly wear/wore Creed?
    I suspect the list exists because of the LA connection between creator and retail centers. It was first sold at Fred Segal, the shop(s) for movie stars and the wealthy. Creator visits with SAs at the stores and voila - "Hey Topper, Henry Winkler was in and bought half a dozen bottles". Very LA.