Code of Conduct

Default Sprays to the Chest under Multiple Layers = No Good, No Silliage, No Nothing

I don't know guys... I just get absolutley nothing from spraying to the chest under multiple layers.... even after a heavy application, I get nothing.

I do however get a little silliage if I'm wearing just a T-Shirt. But anything more then that like an undershirt and a button dress shirt, I get nothing! Nevermind a suit... for me, a horrible waist of fragrance.

On the other hand, I get tons more silliage applying to exposed skin, (arms, back of hand, rist, ect...)

Just wondering what your thoughts were, specifically to multiple layers.

EDIT: I guess I started this thread to see why the "shots to the chest" is the prefered application method around here. I just get nothing from it....
    Last edited by md1grwl; 27th July 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Default Re: Sprays to the Chest under Multiple Layers = No Good, No Silliage, No Nothing

I find that shots to chest is especially good for getting unexpected wafts of the scent during the day, as it escapes from the neck.

You should consider spraying to the back of your knees. It's your skin, and people rarely layer their legs.
    It's a warm environment, the scent escapes from the cuffs of your trousers.
    Works good for sillage IMO.

I've seen some people spraying the inside of their jacket, or under the lapels. May want to try them as well.

Default Re: Sprays to the Chest under Multiple Layers = No Good, No Silliage, No Nothing

A good spot is behind the neck too.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Well, I wear a tie so I dont know that the shot to the chest and a tshirt and collared shirt over that really allows for the scent to waft up for me

I usually spray on torso and neck. Only chest wouldn't work, at least not for me, and I don't think this is the preferred method around here at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I usually spray on torso and neck. Only chest wouldn't work, at least not for me, and I don't think this is the preferred method around here at all.
    Thats all I see around here. "Two shots to the chest"...

I get absolutley nothing from this.

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    Thats all I see around here. "Two shots to the chest"...

I get absolutley nothing from this.
    I wouldn't either... Just spray where you find it works for you.

Some people (men usually) are terrified of sillage or that anyone will notice that they're wearing fragrance. They're the ones that spritz half a spray and complain that it's too strong!

some people (men usually) are terrified of sillage or that anyone will notice that they're wearing fragrance. They're the ones that spritz half a spray and complain that it's too strong!
    *lol*

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=tott;1892206....Some people (men usually) are terrified of sillage or that anyone will notice that they're wearing fragrance. They're the ones that spritz half a spray and complain that it's too strong! [/QUOTE]

These words should be etched in marble.

Perfume is meant to be smelt by others, or so i grew up believing. Not wanting to choke others to death is one thing, but not wanting what is meant to be smelt by others to be smelt by them............*scurries off before the cyber-tomatoes land....*
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I don't know about etched in marble, but yes: the whole point of wearing perfume is actually to give off scent. Perfume doesn't get stronger in homeopathic doses.

I'm selfish, so I wear fragrance mainly for my own private pleasure, but I don't mind sharing some sillage!

I don't know about etched in marble, but yes: the whole point of wearing perfume is actually to give off scent. Perfume doesn't get stronger in homeopathic doses.

I'm selfish, so I wear fragrance mainly for my own private pleasure, but I don't mind sharing some sillage!
    YEP, exactly!

You can deny it up and down, say there's no such thing.. but the truth still remains. Two words. Olfactory Fatigue. Simply put; sprays to the chest take advantage of your nose. Try spraying away from the chest, or better yet, ask somebody to smell your chest. It's there, trust me.. and don't go too overboard with 85 sprays to the chest, because although you may not smell it, I assure you that others will. Perhaps it's just your choice in fragrances? Though seeing TdH as your avatar, you should have no problems with the projection there.

Of course exposed skin will create more sillage due to body temperature, but regardless, you may feel the neck is closer than the chest and you'd get more olfactory fatigue from sprays to the neck, when you actually don't. The problem with that is although the neck is closer, it projects more outwards. I've noticed spraying to the chest projects directly upward for the most part (but outward as well) and since being more directly under the nose.. straight up your nasal passages.. resulting in.. those 2 magical words.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 27th July 2010 at 09:13 PM.

Cologneist, of course there is such a thing as olfactory fatigue. I don't think anyone has denied this. But if you're using two sprays on your bare chest and then cover up with a couple of layers of clothing, chances are that you won't get a particularly strong fragrant aura from those sprays.

Smells do seep through clothes, but you won't get the same intensity as you'd get from bare skin. And this has nothing to do with olfactory fatigue.

I agree with Tott.
    I wear a dress shirt/tie + undershirt for work myself, and if I just shot 2 sprays of fragrance on my chest, I would smell absolutely nothing. That has nothing to do with olfactory fatigue.
    I do try to spray in a couple of different spots(my wrists or inside of my elbows,,,back of the neck) to enjoy my fragrance.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

I'm in no way evangelizing for spraying the chest. (As I sit here applauding the spraying of perfume elsewhere on the body, however, there are delightful little gusts of Patchouli Homme puffing up from my t-shirt.) The reasons I do the 'shots to the chest' thing have to do with a preference for wearing scent pretty subtly and the bump in longevity that you get when perfume gets on yr t-shirt. I enjoy smelling other people's fragrance, usually, so I'm glad people wears their frags differently. Partly it's that I'm a teacher so I'm around lots and lots of people every day in relatively small spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    A good spot is behind the neck too.
    +1,
    this is for powerhouses, they dont tire me during 16h lasting time
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

I actually prefer to apply sprays to the chest. (more that two) I like that I get whiffs from my shirt collar and I prefer that you have to get close to smell my scent. I can get away with wearing something stronger that way.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    You can deny it up and down, say there's no such thing.. but the truth still remains. Two words. Olfactory Fatigue. Simply put; sprays to the chest take advantage of your nose. Try spraying away from the chest, or better yet, ask somebody to smell your chest. It's there, trust me.. and don't go too overboard with 85 sprays to the chest, because although you may not smell it, I assure you that others will. Perhaps it's just your choice in fragrances? Though seeing TdH as your avatar, you should have no problems with the projection there.

Of course exposed skin will create more sillage due to body temperature, but regardless, you may feel the neck is closer than the chest and you'd get more olfactory fatigue from sprays to the neck, when you actually don't. The problem with that is although the neck is closer, it projects more outwards. I've noticed spraying to the chest projects directly upward for the most part (but outward as well) and since being more directly under the nose.. straight up your nasal passages.. resulting in.. those 2 magical words.
    I hear ya w/ teh olfactory fatigue... but regardless, I still get nada from spraying under multiple layers. I sit at a desk all day, and with it beign warm/summer time, i spray the back of my hands/forearms. I get wafts all day from them tho... nothing from the chest.

To me, its just a waist and from here on out, I just spray on exposed skin and carry a small decant to reapply throughout the day

No kidding....

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    I don't know guys... I just get absolutley nothing from spraying to the chest under multiple layers.... even after a heavy application, I get nothing.

I do however get a little silliage if I'm wearing just a T-Shirt. But anything more then that like an undershirt and a button dress shirt, I get nothing! Nevermind a suit... for me, a horrible waist of fragrance.

On the other hand, I get tons more silliage applying to exposed skin, (arms, back of hand, rist, ect...)

Just wondering what your thoughts were, specifically to multiple layers.

EDIT: I guess I started this thread to see why the "shots to the chest" is the prefered application method around here. I just get nothing from it....
    Sucks for you then. My work uniform consists of an undershirt, and button down dress shirt, a tie and a sweater vest on top of that. I spray ONLY on my chest, and hardly any also (2-4 sprays) and get plenty of sillage.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

The chest application works very well for me. I find undershirts uncomfortable and because I'm usually warm, I only wear a shirt, so the fragrance has room enough to do its thing. If I want others to notice my fragrance, I will do a shot on the back of my neck, but usually that's not what I'm going for.

Basenotes Institution

I usually use 4-6 sprays to the chest and this rises up and through a undershirt and the shirt I'm wearing (I don't have to wear a tie or jacket). If I want more projection (those days I'm wearing something really light) I spray the inside crook of my elbow(s) or back of my neck.