Code of Conduct

Question Another novice looking for recommendations.

Hey everyone. For the last few months I've been futzing about trying find a few fragrances to wear. My initial plan was to blind buy a few at random online and call it a day. After all who could ever need more then two or three different cologne?

However, once my package shows up I realize all those people on the internet talking about samples and trying before buying actually make a lot of sense. Who would have thunk it.

So plan B, I ordered The Perfumed Court's Beginner Pack and few other random samples. Unfortunately it took nearly a month for my samples show up, and in that time I made a few more blind buys.

Here's what I own so far.

Comme des Garçons 2
    Guerlain Derby
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    Montale Black Aoud
    Serge Lutans Amber Sultan
    Yves Saint Laurent Body Kouros
    Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche

All in all I'm pretty happy with them, Although my opinion seems be completely inconsistent on each wearing. One day Amber Sultan smells amazing, and the next I smell like I lost a fight with a spice rack. Derby and Black Aoud have been my consistent favorites of the bunch. However I feel like need to dress up to wear Black Aoud, so I haven't reached for it that much. Kenzo PH is the only one I really dislike, once it dries down to salty driftwood it smells nice enough, but whatever goes on when I first spray it is enough make me pass on it.

Now that I've received my samples and had some time to sort though them.(Also made a few trips to the local fragrance counter.) I'm starting to get an idea what I like and dislike. So far I'm definitely leaning towards spicy orientals and sweet smells. I've hated most of the aquatics I've tried so far. And I haven't liked a lot of the citrus I've smelt, in particular the rotten orange of Terre' d Hermes, and the lemon pledge smell in a few I've tried. Fragrances with strong green notes like opening of Vent Vert or Wild Fern burn my nose and are pretty unpleasant to me.(Which is unfortunate because I like the smells otherwise) Not a fan of most florals either, I did kind of like Terre d'Iris though. Notes that I like are things like Vanilla, Benzoin, Amber, Leather, Incenses, Tabbaco, and Oud.

From the samples I've tried so far here's what I'm thinking about buying.
    Bulgari Pour Homme
    Geo F. Trumper Eau de Cologne
    Hermes Equipage
    Montale Aoud Leather
    Amouage Epic
    Tom Ford Tobbaco Vanille

I'd like to have one or two safe all purpose not going to offend anyone fragrances, and I was thinking Bulgari PH or Geo F. Trumper's EdC would make a good choice. Yay/Nay?

Currently I'm in love with Tobbaco Vanille, But I think I might get bored of it if I wore it often.

I love Epic as well and could wear it all the time... although I'd definitely like to check out similar fragrances that don't cost 300$

I'm also not sure what my end goal with all this should be, when should I say "Alright, I have enough." ?

Anyway, recommendation on what I ought to check out will be appreciated. And sorry I don't have a better idea of what I want myself.
    Last edited by Disremember; 28th July 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Default Re: Another novice looking for recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Disremember View Post
    After all who could ever need more then two or three different cologne?
    I think you asked that question to the wrong group!

I say yay to Bulgari PH. But before you do, I would try two others from that house: Soir and Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    I think you asked that question to the wrong group!

I say yay to Bulgari PH. But before you do, I would try two others from that house: Soir and Extreme.
    I did try Soir the last time I was at The Bay, and I think I prefer the regular Bulgari PH... although looking at the sample now I'm not sure if its the Extreme version or not.

I'd like to try out some of their other fragrances as well like Bulgari Black, but it looks like most places nearby only have Bulgari PH and Aqua.

Quote Originally Posted by Disremember View Post
    I'm also not sure what my end goal with all this should be, when should I say "Alright, I have enough." ?
    Welcome aboard. You look to me like you're already doomed. There is no "enough."

I'd toss L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme into your sample bin. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather also a good one.

Tabacco Vanille is pretty nice stuff, but your instinct may be correct, if you wear it a lot. It seems like a lot of the Tom Fords are very linear. If you like the scent, it's great. But it might bore you if you wear it frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Welcome aboard. You look to me like you're already doomed. There is no "enough."
    This is pretty much what I figured... I'll need to come up with an arbitrary limit to keep from destroying myself. Maybe a bottle a paycheck or something like that.

I'd toss L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme into your sample bin. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather also a good one.

Tabacco Vanille is pretty nice stuff, but your instinct may be correct, if you wear it a lot. It seems like a lot of the Tom Fords are very linear. If you like the scent, it's great. But it might bore you if you wear it frequently.
    Added L'Instant to the list, but I can't find any samples of Tom Fords fragrances online at reasonable prices. Maybe I'll have better luck in person though, this weekend I'll head down to Vancouver and see what I can find.

Hi Disremember (and welcome!) - You've quickly built up an impressive collection! Just out of personal interest - is the Guerlain Derby the original or the reformulation?

Anyway, you've already got a few 'classics' there - the Tom Fords are great but linear as has already been discussed. I loved Tobacco Vanille for the first 2 hours then couldn't wait to get it off!! It's lovely in small measures but after a while it's like EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like Derby, and err towards 'spicy' and 'leather' you may like some of the classic 'powerhouse' fragrances which prevailed in the late 70's and 80's. Try Puig Quorum, Francesco Smalto Pour Homme and Givenchy Gentleman. They're all pretty easy to get hold of and fairly inexpensive. Don't let the price put you off - these are good quality fragrances which have just fallen from mainstream favour in recent times so those in the know can pick up a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Hi Disremember (and welcome!) - You've quickly built up an impressive collection! Just out of personal interest - is the Guerlain Derby the original or the reformulation?

Anyway, you've already got a few 'classics' there - the Tom Fords are great but linear as has already been discussed. I loved Tobacco Vanille for the first 2 hours then couldn't wait to get it off!! It's lovely in small measures but after a while it's like EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like Derby, and err towards 'spicy' and 'leather' you may like some of the classic 'powerhouse' fragrances which prevailed in the late 70's and 80's. Try Puig Quorum, Francesco Smalto Pour Homme and Givenchy Gentleman. They're all pretty easy to get hold of and fairly inexpensive. Don't let the price put you off - these are good quality fragrances which have just fallen from mainstream favour in recent times so those in the know can pick up a bargain!
    The Derby is the original ugly bottle, I actually came across it when helping my dad get rid of an old dresser. He didn't have the slightest clue where it came from. It might have been an gift, Christmas present or something. But he took a smell of it, and said he didn't want it. So I traded a bottle of Hugo Boss for it.

I actually nearly bought Quorum alongside Rive Gauche in the bargain bin for $10, but I didn't know anything about it at the time. I'll have to go back and grab it. I'll look for the other two, but I don't think I've ever seen Smalto.

Welcome Disremember.
    First of all, you'll never have enough.
    I think so far, you've got an excellent selection and I like that I see Montales and Guerlains in your choices.
    You easily have the non-offensive covered by Rive Gauche, Hermes and Bulgari. Don't worry about that and enjoy what smells good to you. Keep exploring Montale. It's got many exotic choices, if you enjoy that.

I'll throw in some orientals - Try YSL Opium PH

For something interesting but available, try Bvlgari Black

I know you said you're not a big fan of citrus, florals, and aquatics, but most of your collection looks rather "heavy", do you wear those throughout summer?

how about something like Dior Eau Sauvage? or something simple but sweet like Givenchy Pi.

there's a bit of a range in citrus/aquatic - something like YSL Live Jazz gets consistently good reviews

How about something "soapy", like Prada Amber, Mugler Cologne, etc.

How about a spicy ginger and citrus, like Varvatos Artisan or Bvlgari Blu?

Re: When is it enough? I asked the same question
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Whao, for a beginner, you really have quite sweet collection right there. Based on the notes you listed that you are partial to (Vanilla, Benzoin, Amber, Leather, Incenses, Tabbaco, and Oud), here's a list of fragrances that I think you should try:

1. Chergui
    2. L'air du desert Marocain
    3. Idole
    4. Ambre Narguille
    5. Amber Absolute
    6. Bois D'Armenie
    7. Shalimar
    8. Spirituese Double Vanille
    9. Un Bois Vanille
    10. Tuscan Leather
    11. Cuiron
    12. Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    13. Daim Blond
    14. Dzing!
    15. Avignon
    16. Kyoto
    17. Oud Wood

Whao... and the list continues! It doesn't help that I love all the notes you've mentioned and I'm looking out for them as well.

Renaissance_Man: I'm definitely going to check more of Montale's offerings. I just wish they didn't have so many to chose from.

Master-Classter: Samples of Opium and Bulgari Black are already on their way. And I absolutely agree I need a few lighter summer fragrances, on hotter days so far I've just been waiting until evening to apply or going with a super light application in the morning. I put on a sample Dior Eau Sauvage about an hour ago, and its vanished entirely on my skin. But maybe I'll try the extreme version. I've liked all the YSL I've tried thus far, so I give Live Jazz a go. And I think I have a sample of Prada Amber, so I'll try that out tomorrow.

supperman: Awesome list. Adding the whole lot. I'm not even going to need to buy any bottles... I'll have years worth of samples by the time I'm done. In particular I'm looking forward to Chergui and the CdG Incense series.

*PS* Derbyman, I found both Francesco Smalto and Quorum online for under 10$ each so I went ahead and bought them blind.

If you've got a store that carries Tom Ford in Vancouver (likely yes), the Tom Ford reps are usually pretty good about samples. And they usually have the very nice 2-3ml spray samplers.

You should be able to get 3-4 no problem. If you push beyond that, they may balk a bit. They get way more generous with a purchase, but I'm not trying to talk you into any blind buys.

I wasn't much of a fan of Eau Sauvage, but I got some vintage juice and it's noticeably better. I'm still not sure I like the overall frag, but there's a much more prominent herbal (rosmary?) note, and it seems last longer.

Hermes Voyage could be interesting...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    If you've got a store that carries Tom Ford in Vancouver (likely yes), the Tom Ford reps are usually pretty good about samples. And they usually have the very nice 2-3ml spray samplers.

You should be able to get 3-4 no problem. If you push beyond that, they may balk a bit. They get way more generous with a purchase, but I'm not trying to talk you into any blind buys.
    This was the plan, I'm pretty sure I've seen some sort of Tom Ford Store, although I'm only assuming that they sell the fragrances. Also going to check out the The Perfume Shoppe... Which I'm pretty excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I wasn't much of a fan of Eau Sauvage, but I got some vintage juice and it's noticeably better. I'm still not sure I like the overall frag, but there's a much more prominent herbal (rosmary?) note, and it seems last longer.

Hermes Voyage could be interesting...
    Its probably not worth while to track down a vintage Eau Sauvage when the one I have is so ho-hum to me. From the descriptions people here have given of Voyage it sounds pretty weird. So chances are I'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Whao, for a beginner, you really have quite sweet collection right there. Based on the notes you listed that you are partial to (Vanilla, Benzoin, Amber, Leather, Incenses, Tabbaco, and Oud), here's a list of fragrances that I think you should try:

1. Chergui
    2. L'air du desert Marocain
    3. Idole
    4. Ambre Narguille
    5. Amber Absolute
    6. Bois D'Armenie
    7. Shalimar
    8. Spirituese Double Vanille
    9. Un Bois Vanille
    10. Tuscan Leather
    11. Cuiron
    12. Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    13. Daim Blond
    14. Dzing!
    15. Avignon
    16. Kyoto
    17. Oud Wood

Whao... and the list continues! It doesn't help that I love all the notes you've mentioned and I'm looking out for them as well.
    Hey Supper very decent list you got there! Frags I would love to be in my wardrobe as well! Already have Dzing, Daim Blond and Shalimar. =)

The Derby is the original ugly bottle, I actually came across it when helping my dad get rid of an old dresser. He didn't have the slightest clue where it came from. It might have been an gift, Christmas present or something. But he took a smell of it, and said he didn't want it. So I traded a bottle of Hugo Boss for it.
    Wow! That is one helluva swap! The original Derby is changing hands on Ebay for £240.00!!!!

*PS* Derbyman, I found both Francesco Smalto and Quorum online for under 10$ each so I went ahead and bought them blind.
    No pressure for Derbyman then...! Hope they were good recommendations for you. Quorum is a classic - just go easy on application - it's much better in small quantities. The Smalto is a forgotten gem - a good example of a fragrance which changes dramatically as you wear it.

We have similar taste in perfumes, or so I think. Sometimes scents smell different on your skin depending on the weather, or how trained your nose is, or just your skin chemistry messes with certain perfumes. That's the case for me, but it can be good or bad sometimes.

Anyway as for must tries, I'll recommend some more popular perfumes that most people would probably like:

.A*Men (+pure malt)
    .Jean Paul Gautlier (cinnamon and vanilla heaven, way too popular to love for a fragrance enthusiast though)
    .Encre Noir (One of the best Vetivers, something only trained noses enjoy usually)
    .Paco Robanne 1 Million (everybody loves that one and it's sold in a few countries so it's not that common)
    .Dolce and Gabbana The one
    .YSL M7
    .Habit Rouge (pref EdP)
    .Burberry Touch (very creamy and close to the skin, you'll either love it or find it very boring)
    .Bvlgari Black

Montale and Serge Lutans are very good houses to be familiar with for a novice, I wish I knew them earlier before burning so much money on lower quality/less unique perfumes. if you have access to either I'd do more sampling there instead of buying the more mainstream perfumes, even though some of the above ones are must tries regardless.

Try Herrera for Men