Code of Conduct

Default Can I get a Witness?

Well, I have actually. Witness by Bogart to be precise.

Just wanted to say what a bloody lovely fragrance this is. Why do they always discontinue the good ones?

Sweet, aromatic, rich in spice and cinnamon - just what I like, a piquant oriental.

I am so glad I bought this blind based on the pyramid.

Shame the EDT I bought is a splash rather than a spray, but that's nothing a decant into an atomiser can't cure.

Very, very nice.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Can I get a Witness?

Yes, Witness is quite nice. I bought it blind too. Lovely blend of cinnamon, carnation & musk. Can't wear it until fall/winter so my bottles are stored away for the summer.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

yup, one of those few scents from that era which smells blunt and warm as opposed to sharp. is indeed unique.

I bought a few of those splash bottle a while back and they are great. One is used up so I can use it for other frags, rather than throwing it out (art deco design with bakelite style cap). My problem is with the frag itself. I sampled it the other day, after not having worn it for nearly a year, and I found it to be too sweet. However, this may be because the top notes last too long with my skin chemistry. The box smelled great, and was not too sweet. If I can get to the drydown quicker, perhaps by using a hair dryer, I might be able to appreciate it. I won't try that until the weather gets cold, though.

To me it's like a cousin of Lagerfeld KL, which I have and also love. I just like that spiced oriental thang I guess...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Another good one.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Amen, HDS1963! Witness is my favourite cinnamon scent. Very well blended, warm rather than sharp.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Very inexpensive and damn nice. Still available for about $6/oz.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Last night I did a sampling of Witness and KL Homme. KLH is so much better blended it's not even close. Witness is rather cruder, to put it nicely, but it may be a skin chemistry issue, because after many hours Witness turned into a soft, subtle, powdery frag, though barely detectable.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 29th July 2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: swap/sales discussion

can i get a wha-what?

Blog Entries

I have one bottle of Witness and one on the way. It is nice, not thrilling, but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Last night I did a sampling of Witness and KL Homme. KLH is so much better blended it's not even close. Witness is rather cruder, to put it nicely, but it may be a skin chemistry issue, because after many hours Witness turned into a soft, subtle, powdery frag, though barely detectable.
    I like them both for different reasons.

KL Homme is a fantastic fragrance of that there is no denying, interestingly it lasts a very short time on me, I'm lucky if I get to the four hour mark before it vanishes (which is a great shame).

Witness will last all day on me, always retaining that lovely cinnamon/geranium thing right the way through to its eventual demise 8 hours or so later. All of which is interesting because those are both listed as heart notes, but they prevails throughout. Or maybe they are so well blended with the patchouli/sandalwood in the base that they are just well supported.

Either way, I love both fragrances, but as I said at the start I love spiced orientals.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 29th July 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Well everyone on here knows that I am the resident cinnamon freak, and so of course I had to own a bottle of this.

I wear it ever so often, but honestly, as Bigsly mentioned, it's the dry down that's the best part of this scent. The top notes are a bit sharp, aldehydic and that texture combined with the spice sort of burns my nose when I first apply it and inhale. I always think of Big Red gum, when I wear Witness.

Nonetheless, the dry down is just infinitely better, smoother, refined, balanced...I could go on. Why can't the Jacques Bogart come out with Witness Extreme or something like that, and have it just be the middle and base notes? I'd buy several bottles of it.

For now, my go-to-easy-to-reach-for cinnamon prominent fragrance is L'Eau by Diptyque.

Sur la Plage

Great fragrance and cheap as chips.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Count me in as another fan of this sadly discontinued fragrance.

I love Witness too. I have to wonder if this truly is discontinued, since it's easily available online for dirt cheap prices. Are we all assuming it is dc'd simply because BN says it is?

BN also says Halston I-12 is dc'd, but it's in every TJMAXX, and the box I have says EA Fragrances owns it, leading me to believe that EA rescued another great scent and has re-released it.