Code of Conduct

Default What? No Love for Keiko Mecheri Fleur de Peau?

Every day after I chose my SOTD, I read the reviews here, and I was pretty surpised by the negative reviews on Fleur de Peau.

This is a beautiful frag, for me...while I'm terrible about identifying individual notes, I've always thought of this as a "leather" scent that's prettied-up by florals. It's certainly no Knize Ten but the sweetness doesn't detract from the leather but rather adds to it. I was interested to find, via the reviews, that it contains civet, which I understand can be a turn-off for some people.

In addition, it's quite potent with amazing longetivity.

Any lovers/haters on this one?
    Last edited by Butthead53; 19th February 2009 at 03:51 AM.

Default Re: What? No Love for Keiko Mecheri Fleur de Peau?

I've not come across it. Sounds interesting. I'll be on the lookout.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I sampled this yesterday and if it weren't for the fact that it's listed on the website under the category of Cuir, I would've thought the "peau" in this was more like "skin" of perhaps a fruit. I'm still thinking the peau/cuir aspect is more like "fruit leather" even though I don't get any fruit in this. And while I get no leather out of this at all, I don't find anything wretchedly off-putting either. Nor does this even remotely remind me of Knize Ten. Of all things, this reminds me entirely of Unicorn Spell, as if there were a heavy hand of violets in this, yet no violets are listed as a note. It's possible I have a sample with the wrong contents but that seems unlikely. Still, I don't love A Fleur de Peau. Nor do I hate it.

The French verb "fleurer" means "to emit an odor;" however, "a fleur" wouldn't make sense because grammatically it would be "a fleurer." As a verb, though, "A fleur" would translate roughly as "...has flower" and in that context, A Fleur de Peau translates somewhat as "...has a flower of skin," which starts to make sense. But Cuir? nope.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Mystery solved: It wasn't A Fleur de Peau I was wearing, but Genie de Bois, which has violets in it.

However, I'm wearing A Fleur de Peau today, which smells exactly like the notes listed (ylang ylang, chinese mandarine, iris, ambery notes, leathery notes), and I really like it. It's a little too sweet for me, as are all of KM fragrances, but it does indeed smell like a flowered up suede, or rather. I didn't get the mandarin at all, but the ylang ylang and iris stand out. The amber and leather notes are very balanced so that it's not really one or the other but both in harmony. Still, nothing like Knize Ten, not even close.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I tried it more or less by mistake the other week and plan on revisiting it - wouldn't have thought of trying it unless I was looking for something that would suit a friend who likes light florals, but as it turned out it was far more to my taste than hers. I really liked it.

Blog Entries

I found this very charming as a light floral/suede masculine. It's not quite right on me but it would be a great summer male scent.

I think this is a very sexy scent. But, my favorite use for it is as a room/car spray. I keep a little decant in my glove box to use after my friend who smokes leaves my car.