Code of Conduct

Default Scents by Bond 9 that are totally original and not "inspired' by other scents?

I can only think of Chinatown. A while back, I discovered that Little Italy was inspired by a Creed mandarine/clemantine/orange fragrance.

Any absolute originals other than Chinatwon from the house of Bond 9?

Default Re: Scents by Bond 9 that are totally original and not "inspired' by other scents?

Bryant Park

Default Re: Scents by Bond 9 that are totally original and not "inspired' by other scents?

Riverside Drive and Central Park, perhaps.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Wallstreet, Brooklyn and Riverside Drive
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Good question. Chinatown really does stand alone amongst the slew of violet leaf waters and the Maurice Roucel clones that make up the Bond range.

New Haarlem (unless anyone can tell me different...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Wallstreet
    Reminds me of Erolfa. So, not really original.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I think it's Roucel's stronger re-make of his Rochas Man.

I can only think of Central Park, but I haven't smelled too much of the range. When you smell it, you don't think, "Wow, that's a really stragne and unique scent!" But at the same time, it doesn't smell like anything I know of.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Is there anything else like Silver Factory?

Off-Scenter

... Brooklyn ...
    I reviewed Brooklyn recently, and it's top and middle notes bring to mind a watered down riff on the Déclaration theme. The base notes are a standard-issue, faceless, woody gemisch. While a couple of the other Bond No. 9s I've tried, including H. O. T. Always and Riverside Drive, have left positive impressions, Chinatown is still the only one I'd call inventive or original.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    I reviewed Brooklyn recently, and it's top and middle notes bring to mind a watered down riff on the Déclaration theme. The base notes are a standard-issue, faceless, woody gemisch. While a couple of the other Bond No. 9s I've tried, including H. O. T. Always and Riverside Drive, have left positive impressions, Chinatown is still the only one I'd call inventive or original.
    Never smelled Declaration and that's incentive to never try that one. I think Brooklyn is awful, but I havent found anything that smells like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I think New Haarlem is very similar to Rochas Man.

I also read threads that compare Wall Street to Millesime Imperiale.

But neither are exact.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I think New Haarlem is very similar to Rochas Man.

I also read threads that compare Wall Street to Millesime Imperiale.

But neither are exact.
    Agree. But I think MI and Wall Street smell really different from each other specifically.

In a full wearing, Wall Street probably develops into its own scent for sure.

Bond has such a rep for being "inspired" by other frags, so it's easy to start ripping every frag apart.

I think too, there can be a tendency for many to make a snap judgement based on similarity of opening notes based on quick in store test. New Haarlem sprayed on card seems identical to Rochas Man. But I've never given it a test wear.

I ran away from Antico Caruso initially because I thought the opening smelled exactly like Le Male. Revisited it- gave it a full wearing, and while slightly similar, it is its own scent.

Wallstreet, Brooklyn and Riverside Drive
    Huh? Wallstreet?

Edit: I find that Wall Street doesn't have nearly the richness that MI has. I'd compare it to an odd offspring of Unforgivable and Erolfa.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 29th July 2010 at 02:18 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I can only think of Central Park, but I haven't smelled too much of the range. When you smell it, you don't think, "Wow, that's a really stragne and unique scent!" But at the same time, it doesn't smell like anything I know of.
    TBH, I don't think Central Park is all that unique. I can't quite place what exactly it smells like, but I got a ton of verbena from it, similar to the L'Occitane Verbena scent.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    Is there anything else like Silver Factory?
    This is what I was thinking. The only BN9 I would consider buying a FB of, it is very unique.

Riverside Drive is the first one I thought of. But I don't know Bond's entire line.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I wouldn't call 'Chinatown' unique either...smells like a lighter, more floral Opium.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    TBH, I don't think Central Park is all that unique. I can't quite place what exactly it smells like, but I got a ton of verbena from it, similar to the L'Occitane Verbena scent.
    I guess I haven't smelled many verbena scents, and I'm a sucker for sharp greens...so I'm being soft on Central Park.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

H.O.T. Always = Givenchy Gentleman

None. I find the whole line to be uninspiring and derivative.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I wouldn't call 'Chinatown' unique either...smells like a lighter, more floral Opium.

Hmm. I don't see much resemblance here - at least to the original Opium. (I haven't smelled the new stuff.) On the other hand, I do think Chinatown derives to some degree from the strain of powdery sweet fruity chypres that includes Sophia Grojsman's Yvresse and Trésor, and clearly relates to some of Aurelian Guichard's other work, particularly his reconstruction of Visa and his Azzaro Couture. That said, I do think Chinatown displays more than enough individuality to qualify as "original," especially by the standards of this frequently derivative house.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Bond has such a rep for being "inspired" by other frags, so it's easy to start ripping every frag apart.

I think too, there can be a tendency for many to make a snap judgement based on similarity of opening notes based on quick in store test. New Haarlem sprayed on card seems identical to Rochas Man. But I've never given it a test wear.
    I agree, I think that it also depends on personal chemistry. On my skin New Haarlem smells very different than Rochas Men, especially over time and I much prefer New Haarlem. I found Rochas Men to be much more masculine and New Haarlem to be fairly unisex - which is a plus for me since I'm a girl ^_^

I don't find Chinatown similar to Opium at all either.

I would say that the last few Bond releases actually smell like previous Bonds to me. High Line reminds me of Brooklyn layered with another fragrance.