Code of Conduct

Default Papaya - do they make essential oil from it?

While shopping I noticed some kind of special offer - a 4-pack of "100% concentrate" essential oils for use in saunas. The pack contains oils of eucalyptus, tangerine, some sort of pine and papaya.

I am a little suspicious - the price is about right, that is, it is comparable to what quality essential oils would cost in what I think are reputable places. But the information on the packaging is lacking (not even a production date is listed from what I can tell) and it is being sold in a supermarket, after all.

It seemed like a good deal at first, but it got me wondering - do they actually make a papaya essential oil? I couldn't find any information on the internet, except that it might be a fragrance oil.

I'd appreciate your input on the matter and perhaps any tips on how to tell if the oils are synthetic or not. They all smelled nice but I had no reference with me and that is the only way I could tell, I think.

Default Re: Papaya - do they make essential oil from it?

The simple answer is NO! There is no such thing as real Papaya Essential Oil or Absolute. Fruits generally do not distill an oil (except expressed citrus skins). A flavor/fragrance could be made by infusing or tincturing the fruit, but I suspect that it is a synthetic fragrance oil and not a true essential oil. That is not to say it doesn't smell wonderful, but do not be mislead. Read the label carefully. If it is being sold in a supermarket, chances are it is a perfume oil. True EOs give detailed info on its extraction method, botanical name, origin, etc. And they are not cheap. You get what you pay for.