Code of Conduct

Default My town reeks of Hollister

A new Hollister shop opened in my town here in England. Does it exist in the US too? It's obviously related to Abercrombie & Fitch, judging by the decor and marketing...

...and it projects an absolutely rancid perfume for about a quarter mile in every direction. The stuff is so vile it makes walking through town every day a challenge, which I've tried to overcome by attempting to pick out notes and guess what's in it. No luck so far, and I'm afraid to venture into the shop and find out exactly why it smells so bad.

And lately it's started to appear on my train, on a few of the young hipsters (god, I sound like an old lady).

I know there's nothing I can do but wait out the trend. Or move. But at least you all can probably appreciate my situation.

Anyone here know this scent? Anyone care to defend it?

Default Re: My town reeks of Hollister

I think it's a marketing strategem to remind people of the product.

I personally have not sprayed the scent, but know that sales staff are trained to spray the scent in the stores.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Jake is the most popular I believe. Not actually tried it myself though. Hollister is style over substance in pretty much every way imaginable. The clothes are massively overpriced for what they are. Not sure if the fragrances follow suit. Where have they built this latest one?

Thats too bad. Apparently lots of people wear crap colognes (Abercrombie, Holister, American Eagle etc..) thankfully I almost never smell fragrances on people in public.

After reading about them spraying the cologne throughout the store every 30 min on here recently, I noticed it at 2 different shopping malls. In one, the entire gigantic 3 story atrium that A&F faced was filled with the stink of Fierce. I think i hate it on principle alone. I guess these tactics should be expected from a company that sells cologne and thongs for preteens.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I don't really mind their scents too much, a bit uninspired but far from offensive. I agree with heperd on hating these scents on the principle alone. I actually quite like A&F's Fierce, but would never wear it because of the image it brings to mind.

Last I knew, Hollister stores sprayed Hollister SoCal throughout the store. Back a few years ago they sprayed Hollister Jake in the store. It's possible they spray their newer cologne now, but I haven't been inside a Hollister in a while. I have to say that Abercrombie's frags (Fierce, SoCal) have monster projection and great longevity for Eau De Colognes. You can smell the Abercrombie store in my mall from a whole level below it. The flagship Abercrombie store in New York has a sprinkler system that rains down a mist of Fierce every 30 minutes. Talk about olfactory fatigue.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Come to think of it, I do remember the A&F on 5th and 56th in NY smelling pretty strong as I walked by. That and the massive line around the block to get in.

Think I may brave it to find out what scent it is. Randall, this one's in Guildford.

K

Kagey, this is what they spray in the Hollister stores here in the states last I knew.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Member

This is unfortunately the case in my hometown. Everybody wears Hollister! They think it's the best thing in the world because it's all they ever smell. I hope Hollister's marketing techniques aren't as successful over where you are, or else your whole town will smell of it!

Gee, just looking at the boring clothes that Hollister sell. I guess they need to grab people's attention with bad cologne in order to get them to buy those rags.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I think it's a marketing strategem to remind people of the product.

I personally have not sprayed the scent, but know that sales staff are trained to spray the scent in the stores.
    Yeah thats right. I remember a few other chain stores doing this when I was in the US.

The marketing strategy was something like : make the customer immediately remember us even when not in the store by smelling our signature scent from a distance.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Yeah thats right. I remember a few other chain stores doing this when I was in the US.

The marketing strategy was something like : make the customer immediately remember us even when not in the store by smelling our signature scent from a distance.
    Total domination!

Abercrombie and Hollister are owned by the same company, didn't really put that together until now...

But I used to wear A&F woods in highschool and I remember it being pretty good in my mind. It stood out a little. I might consider buying the re-release of it.

Churchill Sq in Brighton reeks of the damned stuff as soon as you walk into the shopping center , I assume its just another marketing ploy

Tbh both Hollister and Abercrombie perfumes smell pretty good, granted they could get tiresome (especially if you are used to shopping there as they spray that stuff in the stores non-stop), but hey it's quality juice.

They're very light airy and meh for me. I also have bad associations of it with the douches from high school.

Haha yeah the mall in my city stinnnks like that rancid garbage too. Awful.

Hollister is now the leading brand of the Abercrombie & Fitch conglomerate, originally aimed at a pre-college teenage market as opposed to A & F's 18-25 market target. The Hollister brand image and company history are entirely fake, by the way, created by marketers to evoke the surfer culture of Southern California, ca. 1965. Abercrombie & Fitch itself has nothing to do with the old New York high end sporting goods retailer founded in the late 19th century. That company went bankrupt in the 1970s and an Ohio-based sporting goods chain bought the trademarks. The trademarks were sold again to what became the parent company of Abercrombie & Fitch. This company, best know for its "The Limited" brand, created the current Abercrombie & Fitch brand image from scratch and later spun the company off.

This is all an example of how most of the fashion industry now consists of little more than brand names. Many of the "designers" in so-called "designer brands" have long ceased to have anything to do with the stuff sold in their names, having cashed out, died, or been pushed out in a corporate takeover. Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfinger, and Izod, for example, all belong to the giant shirt maker Van Heusen, and the notorious luxury conglomerate LHMH owns Vuitton, Givenchy, Guerlain, Fendi, Sephora, Dior, Tag Heuer, and many other supposedly prestigious brands. So few fashion customers these days realize they are being suckered in by a marketing strategy and paying ridiculous prices for mass-produced goods with a famous label slapped on them. The perfume haze is part of this.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 3rd May 2012 at 03:29 PM.

I personally try to avoid these stores.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I actually liked Aberchrombie & Fitch back in the early '90s when they were part of the Limited chain (based in Dayton or Columbus I think). I got a bottle of the original version of Woods when it first came out in $10 introductory offer and still enjoy it. More recently, their stuff seems to be really cheap and cheesy and aimed at the clueless. Ditto Hollister. I try to judge quality for myself without all the marketing distractions. It's actually more fun than just looking at labels.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 3rd May 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Jake is discontinued, it's probably SoCal. You know, I liked Fierce when I first smelled it..but after smelling it A LOT because of the every 30 min showers of it reeking the whole shopping area..I think I am like over it. I did like Jake when that came out..but haven't smelled it in a while.

But ya, I never go to Holister or A&F.. but here is my summary of the two stores: A&F=tacky! Holister=boring!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.