Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is Bulgari Black a good poor man's Tobacco Vanille?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Brad, is your nose still congested????

yeah, these two are nothing alike to my nose. TV is revolting. Black is nice.
    Apparantly, you once thought Black was revolting as well. Recheck your basenoter review for Bulgari Black. Anyway, maybe my next thread should be "Nasonex and bizarre olfactory misperceptions". But anyway, wouldn't a coworker love to save 200 dollars and walk away with a better smelling frag?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    LOL. Looks like someone spent a bit of time in Akron...
    Never.
    But we did drive thru Gary's still-active industrial section in the mid-80's when I was little, and I remember the awful smell. And since Akron was the pre-reagan industrial-rubber capital of the world.....

Another excellent poor man's gourmand tobacco, is surprisingly Demeter's Whiskey Tobacco...much better and more gourmand than their "Pipe Tobaco" or "This is not a pipe"

Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Apparantly, you once thought Black was revolting as well. Recheck your basenoter review for Bulgari Black. Anyway, maybe my next thread should be "Nasonex and bizarre olfactory misperceptions". But anyway, wouldn't a coworker love to save 200 dollars and walk away with a better smelling frag?
    Tastes can certainly change over time. I've found that out with Dirty English.

Black sucks in my opinion. And TV is too potpourri for me. You can find better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Tastes can certainly change over time. I've found that out with Dirty English.
    Whose to say that someday you won't crave the intoxicating scent of damp cigarettes?

Anyway, if I was in a crazy mood, maybe I could layer some Michael Kors with the Bulgari Black and see how that translates.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I have to agree with Sugandaraja's suggestion. There are just too many great scents out there, and with a wardrobe size of 10 or more, decants is indeed the way to go. I don't get the preoccupation with owning full bottles unless you're talking about HGs. I find TV's linearity numbingly boring and its potent projection wears out my nose. Bulgari Black is more wearable imo.
    Currently wearing: 31 rue Cambon by Chanel

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

It does not have tobacco listed as a note, but Jil Sander Man Absolute (blue rectangular bottle with a yellow bad) reminds me so much of TV. I guess it is JSMA's oud, wormwood and leather notes playing games with the vanilla-pod rich base that brings about the similarity. I own both, and the near-similarity is amazing. I actually wear JSMA when i am not up to TV's strength and linearity.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The only fragrance that reminds me of TV By Ford is Tea for Two. Iknow the latter is heavy on gaiac wood etc... but I feel there is something common bwteen the two.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Black is somewhat smoky, it contains a lot of birch tar. It's as much a dry woods fragrance as an oriental, but if you're not smelling the rubber (among many other prominent notes) then you need to smell it a few more times, or make sure you don't have the reformulated juice in which the rubber note has supposedly been significantly toned down. The rubber talcum was impossible not to notice in the original juice. It never contained tobacco, btw.

It's a hell of a lot better fragrance (putting it mildly) than anything I've smelled from Tom Ford. They often smell ok, but they feel like they were put together in a few weeks. Tobacco Vanille smells good, but it feels more like an ambient scent than a real fragrance. I'd recommend Fumerie Turque if you want something like that.
    Where did you find any information on Black being reformulated?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    The only fragrance that reminds me of TV By Ford is Tea for Two. Iknow the latter is heavy on gaiac wood etc... but I feel there is something common bwteen the two.
    I agree