Code of Conduct

Default Is Bulgari Black a good poor man's Tobacco Vanille?

Hey Guys:

I finally got a chance to test out Bulgari Black today. I find it to be a very nice smoky vanilla scent. Some say rubber/burnt rubber, but I think that is a bit more smokey than rubbery. Anyway, I say a comment suggesting that it had a cigarrette-type note. I did recently also have a chance to test Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. In a recent thread, I was wondering why there was no cheaper designer tobacco vanilla scents for the more budget minded basenoters. So, do you guys feel that Bulgari Black would be a great alternative for someone that wanted a tobacco vanilla vibe, but didn't want to spent a lot of money to get that particular scent. Anything else less than 50 dollars a bottle that is a better approximation?

Default Re: Is Bulgari Black a good poor man's Tobacco Vanille?

I don't get any tobacco from black. I don't get the burnt rubber that people get either. I do get the vanilla, but I don't think it is anything like TV.

Tobacco Vanille strikes me as much sweeter vanilla and more potent.

BB is a good, highly regardred scent. I think the tobacco part is a stretch. But they both use another note to somewhat temper the vanilla.

If you like the vanilla in BB, go for it. Don't worry about having it smell like TV. I do think BB stands on its own. Has less legs than TV. Projects less too imo.

I wish I had a better suggestion for you (hopefully someone will), but I don't find these two similar in the least.....outside of the obvious.

Yeah they both have vanilla.. and that's, for me anyway, where the similarities end.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I never tried Bulgari Black , its discontinued now isnt it ?

Got Bvlgari Black today and man this stuff is unique! The rubber and vanilla note combine to make for an extraordinary smell. This will now always be in my collection...

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I never tried Bulgari Black , its discontinued now isnt it ?
    Not that I know of.. I still have it at my Sephora.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Yeah they both have vanilla.. and that's, for me anyway, where the similarities end.
    I've heard some other comparisons as well. If nothing else, any comparison to Le Male is really farfetched IMO.

As to Tobacco Vanille, I think it's a great scent. I won't knock anyone who loves it. But I keep coming back in my mind to two comments from a recent thread.

1- a longtime member who suddenly became very bored and near disgusted with its linearity.

2 - MrColongeGuy referenced an interview Tom Ford gave in which the interviewer noted he came in smelling like a tray of vanilla baked goods. The sense was the interviewer didn't mean it in a "boy, he smells really great!" kind of way. As Cologne guy said "if Tom Ford can't pull off smelling like that, what chance do I have?

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I've heard some other comparisons as well. If nothing else, any comparison to Le Male is really farfetched IMO.
    All I get is vanilla really. I don't even get that rubber note. My skin has a way of killing any nuances and only keeping the backbone.. that is except for the more tenacious scents like TV
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I agree.....I don't feel that these are alike either.....I sampled one from Miller Harris and can't remember what it was.....If anyone knows which Scent I'm thinking of that could be something to consider.....I could also be wrong all together.
    Gary

Black is somewhat smoky, it contains a lot of birch tar. It's as much a dry woods fragrance as an oriental, but if you're not smelling the rubber (among many other prominent notes) then you need to smell it a few more times, or make sure you don't have the reformulated juice in which the rubber note has supposedly been significantly toned down. The rubber talcum was impossible not to notice in the original juice. It never contained tobacco, btw.

It's a hell of a lot better fragrance (putting it mildly) than anything I've smelled from Tom Ford. They often smell ok, but they feel like they were put together in a few weeks. Tobacco Vanille smells good, but it feels more like an ambient scent than a real fragrance. I'd recommend Fumerie Turque if you want something like that.
    Last edited by pluran; 29th July 2010 at 01:42 AM.

I don't find tobacco in BB. About all BB and TV share is the vanilla. TV is also an order of magnitude stronger than the Bulgari.

I don't think that Bvlgari Black or Tobacco Vanille can substitute for each other. However, I'm pretty sure that I think that Bvlgari Black is a better scent than Tobacco Vanille. _Different_, not a substitute, but if I were to put all scents on a scale of quality, I'd put Bvlgari Black higher on that scale.

Bulgari Black is not a good replacement for Tobacco Vanille, however, it's a great replacement for Ford's Urban Musk.

So far the only "cheapie" gourmand tobacco I find of comparable quality to TV is Burberry London, but it's boozy-fruity-spicy rather than vanilla-laden.

No sir .... Tobacco Vanille itself meets that criteria

I find it interesting that nobody seems to like my thoughts on Bulgari Black. OK, so let's suppose you are at work, and a coworker says you smell great. He says he really likes that dirty vanilla smell. You say you are wearing Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. When you mention the price, he sadly walks away. However, if he wants you to recommend a cheaper alternative, you have 2 options:

1. Say that the only way to smell like TV is to buy TV
    2. Mention that there are some other cheaper designer scents that he may want to check out. Black is a smokey vanilla smell and maybe he would appreciate that one.

So this is what I am alluding to. I never had this actually happen, since I haven't even worn TV to work, but I can see myself being willing to offer up some helpful suggestions to help out a friend or even the husband of a coworker.

The only alternative I see for now is Burburry London. I have a mini of this. So, I think this is often described as a pipe tobacco type scent. However, I am of the opinion that TV is more of a cigarette type scent than say a pipe tobacco variety. I kinda get this clove type smell in Black that I thought was present in TV as well. So if I ever make a recommendation, I'm sorry, but this is the one in chose for now.

We can be pretty exacting in here Brad. I'm by no means a very refined "nose." But I have tried and worn both TV and BB.

TV is very potent, projects a lot and is a quite sweet vanilla scent. That vanilla really dominates and projects. The tobacco is like backup. I would also say that it's a pipe tobacco. Many of the classic pipe tobaccos are heavily laden with vanilla. Odori Tabacco is a similar scent to TV, but the tabacco is more prominent and the vanilla less potent.

BB is a bit more subdued and the vanila is more co-mingled with the tea/rubber note throughout the wearing.

So, if a friend in the next cubicle told me liked the way my TV smelled and I talked him into buying BB instead, he might be pissed that wearing it is not quite the same as TV.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 29th July 2010 at 02:57 AM.

However, if he wants you to recommend a cheaper alternative, you have 2 options:

1. Say that the only way to smell like TV is to buy TV
    2. Mention that there are some other cheaper designer scents that he may want to check out. Black is a smokey vanilla smell and maybe he would appreciate that one.
    3. Mention that there are places that sell decants at much lower prices than full bottles. Seriously, this is a very real option for those not seeking to spend a fortune on something, and given how strong TV is, a modest-sized decant will last a good while.

No.
    Bogart pour Homme is more like the poor man's oversweet pipe tobacco.
    Bulgari black is the rich man's "living/suffering in Akron in 1977"

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    No.
    Bogart pour Homme is more like the poor man's oversweet pipe tobacco.
    Bulgari black is the rich man's "living/suffering in Akron in 1977"
    LOL. Looks like someone spent a bit of time in Akron...

Basenotes Institution

I do not think they're similar at all. If someone were looking for a sweet vanilla scent, I might recommend both, but someone looking for something like Tobacco Vanille I would never recommend Black. Maybe Spiritueuese Double Vanille by Guerlain. Or that Voluspa home fragrance we had a thread about a while ago (Tobacco something??). But not Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    3. Mention that there are places that sell decants at much lower prices than full bottles. Seriously, this is a very real option for those not seeking to spend a fortune on something, and given how strong TV is, a modest-sized decant will last a good while.
    I see The Perfumed Court is a good place for a decant of TV. With shipping, it appears to be about 36 dollars for a 5 ml decant. Still sounds like a hard sell to the average non-basenoter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I do not think they're similar at all. If someone were looking for a sweet vanilla scent, I might recommend both, but someone looking for something like Tobacco Vanille I would never recommend Black. Maybe Spiritueuese Double Vanille by Guerlain. Or that Voluspa home fragrance we had a thread about a while ago (Tobacco something??). But not Black.
    Once again, at over $200 a bottle, Spirituese Double Vanille would hardly qualify as a budget friendly scent

Okay, if you want a super cheap version of TV, I suggest Trussardi Inside Man. It is not a copy, but it is a similar idea. You get coffee instead of a hint of chocolate, for example, as well as a bit more teak than tobacco, but I think many people would like it enough if they can't afford TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    So far the only "cheapie" gourmand tobacco I find of comparable quality to TV is Burberry London, but it's boozy-fruity-spicy rather than vanilla-laden.
    London is indeed quite similar! I've had a lot my friends ask for suggestions about what's similar to TV and even though I own London I somehow forgot about it. Probably because I haven't worn it since February. It's one of those scents I wouldn't dare wear in warmer weather.. even if I put a small amount on.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    We can be pretty exacting in here Brad. I'm by no means a very refined "nose." But I have tried and worn both TV and BB.

TV is very potent, projects a lot and is a quite sweet vanilla scent. That vanilla really dominates and projects. The tobacco is like backup. I would also say that it's a pipe tobacco. Many of the classic pipe tobaccos are heavily laden with vanilla. Odori Tabacco is a similar scent to TV, but the tabacco is more prominent and the vanilla less potent.

BB is a bit more subdued and the vanila is more co-mingled with the tea/rubber note throughout the wearing.

So, if a friend in the next cubicle told me liked the way my TV smelled and I talked him into buying BB instead, he might be pissed that wearing it is not quite the same as TV.
    I think the diplomatic solution would be to tell the coworker that you have some Bulgari Black at home and offer to bring the bottle in so it could be skin tested by the interested party. As others have mentioned, Black does offer good bang for the buck. Some have mentioned growing tired of TV after a few wearings. Some might think my budget/niche suggestions are totally bonkers, but I like to think that I can at least lay down a reference point. The first time I smelled Gris Clair, for example, I immediately got H2 by Hummer.
    Maybe that is also coming out of left field, but sometimes I cross reference note structure, and feel validated by what I see as common elements, even if there is a huge difference in the quality of the oils.

Brad, is your nose still congested????

yeah, these two are nothing alike to my nose. TV is revolting. Black is nice.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Okay, if you want a super cheap version of TV, I suggest Trussardi Inside Man. It is not a copy, but it is a similar idea. You get coffee instead of a hint of chocolate, for example, as well as a bit more teak than tobacco, but I think many people would like it enough if they can't afford TV.
    Ah yes! Trussardi Inside Man! I actually got a bottle of this in my collection. A great looking bottle as well. A tester on ebay set me back a whopping 20 bucks. Anyway, I'd be more than happy to mention this as long as there was no problem with a coffee note.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Brad, is your nose still congested????

yeah, these two are nothing alike to my nose. TV is revolting. Black is nice.
    Apparantly, you once thought Black was revolting as well. Recheck your basenoter review for Bulgari Black. Anyway, maybe my next thread should be "Nasonex and bizarre olfactory misperceptions". But anyway, wouldn't a coworker love to save 200 dollars and walk away with a better smelling frag?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    LOL. Looks like someone spent a bit of time in Akron...
    Never.
    But we did drive thru Gary's still-active industrial section in the mid-80's when I was little, and I remember the awful smell. And since Akron was the pre-reagan industrial-rubber capital of the world.....

Another excellent poor man's gourmand tobacco, is surprisingly Demeter's Whiskey Tobacco...much better and more gourmand than their "Pipe Tobaco" or "This is not a pipe"

Apparantly, you once thought Black was revolting as well. Recheck your basenoter review for Bulgari Black. Anyway, maybe my next thread should be "Nasonex and bizarre olfactory misperceptions". But anyway, wouldn't a coworker love to save 200 dollars and walk away with a better smelling frag?
    Tastes can certainly change over time. I've found that out with Dirty English.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Black sucks in my opinion. And TV is too potpourri for me. You can find better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Tastes can certainly change over time. I've found that out with Dirty English.
    Whose to say that someday you won't crave the intoxicating scent of damp cigarettes?

Anyway, if I was in a crazy mood, maybe I could layer some Michael Kors with the Bulgari Black and see how that translates.

Basenotes Plus

I have to agree with Sugandaraja's suggestion. There are just too many great scents out there, and with a wardrobe size of 10 or more, decants is indeed the way to go. I don't get the preoccupation with owning full bottles unless you're talking about HGs. I find TV's linearity numbingly boring and its potent projection wears out my nose. Bulgari Black is more wearable imo.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

It does not have tobacco listed as a note, but Jil Sander Man Absolute (blue rectangular bottle with a yellow bad) reminds me so much of TV. I guess it is JSMA's oud, wormwood and leather notes playing games with the vanilla-pod rich base that brings about the similarity. I own both, and the near-similarity is amazing. I actually wear JSMA when i am not up to TV's strength and linearity.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The only fragrance that reminds me of TV By Ford is Tea for Two. Iknow the latter is heavy on gaiac wood etc... but I feel there is something common bwteen the two.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Black is somewhat smoky, it contains a lot of birch tar. It's as much a dry woods fragrance as an oriental, but if you're not smelling the rubber (among many other prominent notes) then you need to smell it a few more times, or make sure you don't have the reformulated juice in which the rubber note has supposedly been significantly toned down. The rubber talcum was impossible not to notice in the original juice. It never contained tobacco, btw.

It's a hell of a lot better fragrance (putting it mildly) than anything I've smelled from Tom Ford. They often smell ok, but they feel like they were put together in a few weeks. Tobacco Vanille smells good, but it feels more like an ambient scent than a real fragrance. I'd recommend Fumerie Turque if you want something like that.
    Where did you find any information on Black being reformulated?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    The only fragrance that reminds me of TV By Ford is Tea for Two. Iknow the latter is heavy on gaiac wood etc... but I feel there is something common bwteen the two.
    I agree