Code of Conduct

Unhappy Which ingredients in Youth Dew and Shalimar are making me feel nauseous?

Help! I already posted about my reaction to Shalimar - used to love it, but reformulated version makes me literally nauseated and sick to my stomach. May be the combination of civet and lemon? Anyway, now I am having the same reaction to Youth Dew. Also used to like this scent, but this version, from 2009, is also stomach-turning! It's not all Orientals - I love and wear Bal a Versailles and L'Heure Bleue. Do YD and Shalimar have some awful new ingredient? I thought this was what the reformulations were supposed to avoid! Anyone shed any light?

Default Re: Which ingredients in Youth Dew and Shalimar are making me feel nauseous?

Very interesting. Tell me more.
    I too am nauseated by both of those scents, but, at least in my case, the queasiness is comes from who in my life wore them.

Default Re: Which ingredients in Youth Dew and Shalimar are making me feel nauseous?

They don't have any associations for me except pleasant ones, and I used to like the older versions. I loved Shalimar! And my daughter (25) wears Youth Dew and it smells wonderful on her. So I think it must be a physical reaction. Maybe the civet? But I love N'Aimez Que Moi, which has civet. Combination of civet and lemon? I get a nauseous feeling which gets stronger and stronger and then culminates in a migraine. Not pleasant!

Last edited by Descartes; 29th January 2012 at 01:54 PM.

But how to tell which ones are bringing on the migraines? Most perfumes don't do that, but when it happens it's really horrible. Will look up your links - thank you.

Basenotes Institution

Could be the combination of powder,civet and lemon ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I think you could be right. Any one of these alone seems fine, but the combination may be what's giving me the headaces. Must do more research! I couldn't cope with a migraine every day - life's too short!

I've got a small bottle of Shalimar EdT and there's something in there that also makes me a little quesy, I'm pictuing sort of like a white molten plastic haze. The soft yellow of the lemon and dark purple imagery I get are ok, but there's something white and sharp that goes straight to my head.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Institution

Redroses- I totally agree- can't have migraines daily. I got a terrible migraine from Natori and from Krigler's Pleasure Gardenia .

New Shalimar EDT is very sharp to begin with ,Master Classter. The EDP and the parfum are less so .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Last edited by Descartes; 30th January 2012 at 09:59 AM.

I wonder if it has to do with the bergamot, present in the listed topnotes of both Youth Dew and Shalimar? I love those both, but admit I get a little choked up after the first spray. Also, if they are not using the best quality (or even real) bergamot, maybe the cheap or chemical substitutions are the culprit? Just a thought.

Could be, especially if, as you say, the ingredients are now synthetic. I guess it's just trial and error. I love sampling new perfumes and was trying to think of an easy way to avoid the migraine-bearers! The idea that it's the triple combination of powdery scent, lemon and civet intrigues me, as YD and Shalimar are the only ones I've ever tried that have this.
    Descartes, thank you for the link.

Redrose, once again I agree with you :-) (I just reviewed 'Youth Pew' unfavorably, and Shalimar is one of the Guerlains that doesn't work for me. N'aimez Que Moi I wore three days ago - love it! :-)

I do'nt think you can point to any one note, is the take away. Take any ingredient in Youth Pew, for example. You can find it in another fragrance and wear it just fine, becuase it can be made in so many different ways: synthetic, natural, a combination of the two, etc....

I think it comes down to quality, quantity, and combination of ingredients. One ingredient you might want to watch out for is vetiver, especially if it is combined with civet. This can wreak havoc.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Thank you, Baykat! We have very similar tastes in perfume, and I'm so glad you like N'Aimez Que Moi - the more of us who love it and cherish it, the more likely it will stay in production.
    What you say is very true, that any one ingredient can be obtained and used in so many ways it probably isn't worthwhile trying to avoid it. The combination of lemon, civet and powder does seem possibly migraine-inducing, though - it makes me feel ill just thinking about it - though any one alone can be fine.
    Your idea about vetiver, possibly with civet, being a culprit is really interesting too. I actually don't like vetiver when I can smell it strongly. It makes me shudder! So that could be one to check for.
    I've never reacted to perfume in this way before the last two-three years, so I'm wondering what the new synthetics could be doing to some of us. The old ingredients worked best for me.

Redrose- just curious, have you ever tried Jicky? What did you think? this is another one that affects my stomach.

I think there is somehting to the synthetic ingredients, but i can't quite tell what. For a lot of my favorites i've ordered a vintage sample from the perfumed Court, but i find with Guerlain that their perfumes don't hold up well over the years (but Carons sure do) there is a difference in many perfumes, but I can't pinpoint to what. hmm....
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

LoL, big LOL. what a question

where should we know? )

Do you honestly think we're psychics or that we have paranormal powers, or that we can read tarot cards to identify one specific ingredient in those perfumes that might make you feel sick?

LOL
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

I've been dabbling in creating perfumes and, when I work with some of the synthetic civet components, I often leave the workroom feeling a bit queasy and light-headed despite good ventilation. Perhaps it is just one of the common compounds in the modern formulations that affects you. Each person experiences these sensitivities uniquely.

Knowing what it is that the newer Shalimar and Youth Dew have in common are most likely impossible to know and I believe it's irrelevant anyway. If a perfume negatively affects you, the easiest thing is to just avoid it.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Yes, it's probably just going to be trial and error. But I thought that if other people had similar reactions, we might compare notes. Only, with the formulae being top secret, we may never know! As I said, I never had this probably until quite recently, and have worn perfumes for many years. So I think it's quite likely som of the newer synthetics are to blame in my case.
    And yes, BayKAT, I have tried Jicky, and got a similar reaction.
    No, I don't think anyone at Basenotes has psychic powers etc.! Only wish I did myself!

Yes, it's probably just going to be trial and error. But I thought that if other people had similar reactions, we might compare notes. Only, with the formulae being top secret, we may never know! As I said, I never had this probably until quite recently, and have worn perfumes for many years. So I think it's quite likely some of the newer synthetics are to blame in my case.
    And yes, BayKAT, I have tried Jicky, and got a similar reaction.
    No, I don't think anyone at Basenotes has psychic powers etc.! Only wish I did myself!

I really don't know which notes...I really love Shalimar, but I hate, hate, HATE, hate Ford's Youth Dew. It's just awful on my skin.

Seems like this is another case of reformulation causing problems. The Youth Dew I tried is quite new. My daughter has an older bottle. Why oh why must they fiddle with winners?