Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EAU DE COLOGNE Fans: Do you typically REAPPLY during the day?

I haven't regularly worn light eaux de colognes in about ten years. This summer however, I'm getting back into the classic eaux de colognes and light citrus scents (e.g., Green Water, Eau Sauvage, Acqua Classica Borsari, etc.). Problem of course is that longevity is generally terrible with these scents, which is their only downside for me.

So my question to you guys who wear these light scents regularly is, do you typically reapply these during the day after they fade? Do you put on a new scent? Do you bring your bottle to work? How do you get the most mileage out of a light eau de cologne?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: EAU DE COLOGNE Fans: Do you typically REAPPLY during the day?

Absolutely - you simply "have to" reapply. "Have to?" I mean want to! EDCs and light EDTs like the more natural citrus scents simply fade. Reapplying them is one of the real joys of wearing them.

Reapply.
    Take the bottle with you.
    Bring it to work.
    Keep it by the bedside.
    Don't worry about wasting it - you want to buy a new bottle sooner than most scents anyway.
    If you are keeping it for a while, refrigeration is a good idea - and colder, too (5 C or 39 F)

EDCs make summer fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Absolutely - you simply "have to" reapply. "Have to?" I mean want to! EDCs and light EDTs like the more natural citrus scents simply fade. Reapplying them is one of the real joys of wearing them.

Reapply.
    Take the bottle with you.
    Bring it to work.
    Keep it by the bedside.
    Don't worry about wasting it - you want to buy a new bottle sooner than most scents anyway.
    If you are keeping it for a while, refrigeration is a good idea - and colder, too (5 C or 39 F)

EDCs make summer fun!
    That's a great way of explaining the joys of eaux de cologne! I used to wear these a lot when I was younger, but I think I've developed a hang-up about the idea of having to reapply a scent during the day. I've always been hesitant because I'm never quite sure if the scent has actually faded or if I've just developed some olfactory fatigue (in which case I risk overapplying and sending everyone running to the hills). Your post clarified this well.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some of them last on me. Let me be precise: if I apply to the back of my wrists, I can smell certain ones all day, including Acqua di Parma Colonia and Eau du Coq. I don't have that result universally; I don't get that with Imperiale, for example.

I guess I have latched onto the ones that have satisfied me both in scent and longevity.

But there is nothing wrong with reapplying, or migrating to another fragrance.

One more thing: I reach for the eauxs (sp?) more than anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Some of them last on me. including Acqua di Parma Colonia .
    I agree. I get excellent longevity from Acqua di Parma too, about 6 or 7 hours.

Yes I do!!! As it has been said, you have to reapply these type of fragrances.....Acqua di Parma's Colonia is one that lasts on me all day.....most others fade quickly.....Have fun while the heat is here.....it won't be long and there will be a chill in the air!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I do not usually reapply; the second time around never seems quite as satisfying.

One of life's great manly pleasures is applying an eau de cologne after an early AM shower. It's gone by noon but it gets me through the morning. The reanimated drydowns are never cloying during my late afternoon gym session, and a post-workout shower allows me to sample guilt-free until bed without having to contend with any mutant, Black-Aoud type longevity.

I tend to reach for AdP Colonia and now Eau de Guerlain the most, but Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte works well, too (though it leans pretty chypre).

Post Thanks / Like

I always bring my SOTD to work whether it's an EDC or EDT or EDP.
    And yes I always reapply in whatever concentration. =)
    That's the reason why you bought the perfume....you used your money, enjoy the perfume! Use it!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it doesn't hurt to have an EDC at the office, especially in summer . . . if you've gotta head out into the heat for a meeting or whatever. Quite apart from anything else it can be a nice pick me up if you're fading

I sometimes wonder about the 'culture' of the EDC because I read Thierry Wasser saying that he sees his new one as being fine for just spraying on with something else - literally layering - and this is from someone clearly steeped in the classical tradition. Maybe the whole idea is to just cut loose and not worry too much - a quality EDC only lasts for half an hour anyway, so just go for it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I think it doesn't hurt to have an EDC at the office, especially in summer . . . if you've gotta head out into the heat for a meeting or whatever. Quite apart from anything else it can be a nice pick me up if you're fading

I sometimes wonder about the 'culture' of the EDC because I read Thierry Wasser saying that he sees his new one as being fine for just spraying on with something else - literally layering - and this is from someone clearly steeped in the classical tradition. Maybe the whole idea is to just cut loose and not worry too much - a quality EDC only lasts for half an hour anyway, so just go for it?
    I agree - I spray on lighter EDCs any time when it's hot, or after a walk, or whenever. The light ones generally don't cause any problems with the SOTD - just a quick diversion. And in many cases, I think they can mix very nicely - for example, the Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale with Homme EDP Intense. A nice combo.

I absolutely love the fact that I can refresh an edc with liberal mid-day lashings and not overwhelm. Love smelling the top notes all over again too. I carry around a small atomizer (I have these for most of my scents) and spritz in the afternoon and if I'm not going straight home in the evenings, spritz again before whatever dinner/social/drinks event I'm headed to.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to.

My favorites all need to be either applied very heavily via splash or 20+ sprays, or re-applied....or both.

I include some in this category that others may not term "EDC", but here's how I rank them:

1. Creed Selection Verte
    2. Hermes Concentre/Eau D'Orange Verte
    3. Maitre Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme
    4. Prelude To Love by Kilian
    5. Penhaligon's Castile
    6. Roger & Gallet Jean marie Farina Extra Vieille
    7. Guerlain Imperiale
    8. Jacques Fath Green Water
    9. Acqua Di Parma Colonia
    10. Geo F. Trumper Eau De Portugal

And really only Pour Le Jeune and Castile are strong enough to hang without reapplication mid-day. Part of the deal of liking this type of scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: EAU DE COLOGNE Fans: Do you typically REAPPLY during the day?

The Diptyque's colognes ( Eau de Neroli, Eau des Hesperides, Eau de Tarocco and L'eau de l'eau ) last all the day
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Since we're on the subject here's my list - we have a very long summer here:

Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Aqua di Colonia / Lorenzo Villoresi
    Aqua di Genova Colonia
    Cologne du Parfumeur / Guerlain
    Eau de Guerlain
    Eau de Guerlain du Coq
    Eau d’Orange Verte / Hermes
    Eau de Patou
    Green Water / Jacques Fath

Not technically EDCs but do the same job nicely:

Madragore / Goutal
    Bergamote / The Different Company
    Hotel Costes (the first one)
    Idole by Lubin
    Bigarrade Concentree / Malle

Eau Lente is great but as mentioned it's another Diptyque that's an all day number.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 3rd August 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Never.

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly, yes

atomizer in pocket at all times! EDC/EDT/EDP - all get reapplied.

Post Thanks / Like

Aqua di Colonia / Lorenzo Villoresi
    Aqua di Genova Colonia
    Still haven't tried either of these yet, need to.

Cologne du Parfumeur / Guerlain
    GTFO, when did this get released? I missed it completely.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't. I put whatever it is on, and leave the rest up to the scent itself.

However, with the ones I particularly love, I supplement them with the bath gel, body lotions, bar soaps, and I'd use the scented hair gel and talcum powder if they existed. For example, when I'm going to wear a verbena by Molinard or Caswell-Massey I use the C-M body shampoo in the shower well before splashing/spraying on the edc juice. With R&G I use all the supplementary products I can, and in the case of Extra Vieille, that works out pretty well. With Bouquet Royale, I don't know. With my AdP Colonia, it's longevity carries it as long as many edts so I don't worry about supplementary products or re-application.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Yes i do reapply during the day.
    In general for the EdC, i use first some sort of unscented wax on the spraying site, then apply, the after a few hours i reapply.
    There's really no concern in terms of overuse, as the top notes usually fade faster in the summer.
    Sometimes i even use a scented lime/lemon/mint/else wax to boost the note that i want to make it last the longest.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, I reapply a new fragrance every afternoon.

Either I go home for lunch (I live close to my job) and grab something from my wardrobe or I wear a decant in my briefcase, where I keep a constant rotation of 3-4 plastic decant atomizers of new stuff and stuff from my wardrobe.