Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: How do you organize your wardrobe?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brands

22 25.88%
  • Olfactory

9 10.59%
  • Nationality

0 0%
  • Use

22 25.88%
  • Perfurmer

0 0%
  • Chronological

1 1.18%
  • Aesthetic

9 10.59%
  • Random

16 18.82%
  • Other

6 7.06%

Default How do you organize your wardrobe?

I'm curious to see how everybody places the bottles in his collection.
    1-Brands: by the brand (a CK group, a Creed group,...)
    2-Olfactory: bottles are arranged by the olfactory group (Oriental, Aquatic,...)
    3-Nationality: disposition is by the nationality (Italian, French,...)
    4-Use: disposition by the use (daywear, summer, winter,date,....)
    5-Perfurmer: disposition by the perfurmer (Cavalier,Morillas,...)
    6-Chronological: disposition by the year (from oldest to newest)
    7-Aesthetic: disposition by aesthetic impact (as in a flower arrangement) ex: bottles of the same color, or colors that go well together...
    8-Random: disposition is random
    9-Other

Default Re: How do you organize your wardrobe?

1 & 4

I originally organized them based on a sort of mix of season and therefore loosely olifactory group from lightest to heaviest but have now rearranged them in a line based on pure olifactory group. Soapy, Floral, Aquatic, Citrus, Green, other fruits/fresh, leather, musk, ambers, incense, gourmand... it's not perfect but I'm still "working" it. plus there are a few that are quite tough to classify.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

By brands. But then again I only have one brand: Good ol' Chanel.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Brands/Houses!

I stack them as someone would stack empty beer cans although I have been thinking about changing to the 'chenga' method of stacking....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I said "use," but by that I actually meant, "how often I use them." Then I read your definition. Oops. Other than that, there is no pattern.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I tried olfactory, I failed. Now I put them

top shelve: special occasions/dating
    middle shelve: office, clubbing
    third shelve: summer/spring

All in all I find it kind of messed up so I decided to let it go without particular order. I started a similar thread once.

Try seasons: spring/summer; winter/fall; whole year. In my opinion it's doable

Presently, mostly by brands. I have the Lutens, Villoresis, Delraes, etc. together.

But if I had more space, I would like to organize them by olfactory notes, wood, rose, oriental, etc.

Aesthetic, by general bottle size/shape, although I'm not too picky about it. Usually ends up vaguely organized by brand too---most of the YSL's for example, have roughly the same bottle.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Really? I thought more people would do chronological.

Mostly (1) alphabetical by house, mixed with a pragmatic variation on (7) aesthetic: the row that sits on TOP of one shelving unit is dedicated to minis and a few squat/stable bottles, to ensure nothing gets knocked over.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I go by seasons. Fall/winter scents are up front right now for daily use & aquatics are in the back until late spring.

As I have been whittling down my collection to a Top 12ish list (debating 15), I'm pretty cognizant of how I rank them in preference. As of now, I have them in that 1-12 ranking. Previously I had done by use and/or season.

I have them in an open box in a drawer.
    Bottles on the left.
    Minis in the middle.
    Samples on the right.
    I also have a bag of stuff I'm going to sell sitting on top of my chest of drawers.

I organize by season then subdivide by olfactory group. I am torn between doing it that way and subdividing by use (when I wear it). For instance I have ones just for work, ones for day, ones for night, ones for romantic, ones for comfort etc. then by olfactory group.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I originally organized them based on a sort of mix of season and therefore loosely olifactory group from lightest to heaviest but have now rearranged them in a line based on pure olifactory group. Soapy, Floral, Aquatic, Citrus, Green, other fruits/fresh, leather, musk, ambers, incense, gourmand... it's not perfect but I'm still "working" it. plus there are a few that are quite tough to classify.
    Pretty much how I do it too. Within these categories I will also organize based on temperature and try to establish an ideal range for each fragrance.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I said "use," but by that I actually meant, "how often I use them." Then I read your definition. Oops. Other than that, there is no pattern.
    Same here. I suppose I could organize by season, what with dry season starting.

edit: I do have all 4 of my Knize bottles side by side

I organize by season. Right now I have my fall and winter scents out. Everything else is in a box in my closet. If for some reason I'm craving a lighter scent, I'll just go in the closet and pull it out.

Geographically -- a pile here, a scatter there, an odd one lost somewhere, some prepacked in luggage. True description.

With as many as I have, there is no logical way to do it other than by brands.

I would like to do it by olfactory group or some type of usage criteria, as I think that way might be more useful, but like hednic, the only way I can keep up with things is to organize them alphabetically by house.

Brands / Houses
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

By house or brand but, if there are some orphans, by olfactory theme (e.g. Arabie paired with LADDM).

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Try seasons: spring/summer; winter/fall; whole year. In my opinion it's doable
    Not in the UK! LOL! I gave up on developing a spring/summer sub-wardrobe, solely due to the temperamental weather - I just wasn't using most of what I had.

Mostly by seasons but not 100% so

Mostly by season and size. My fall/winter frags more to the left, and summer/spring to the right. However, I dunno if size is the appropriate word to describe it. They're kind of in a puzzle form to save space, but very neat. Some are horizontal and some are vertical.

By Use. I have one box for hot weather, one box for cold weather, and another for all weather. That also helps reduce the # of bottles I have to look at each morning (for example, the cold weather box doesn't get looked at in the summer), thus making my choice a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Not in the UK! LOL! I gave up on developing a spring/summer sub-wardrobe, solely due to the temperamental weather - I just wasn't using most of what I had.
    I believe you. In Croatia summers are hot and dry, spring sunny with +10 to +19-21. Autumns are rainy, misty and gray with temeratures +5 to +16 Celsius, winters are cold with -15 to +5 celsius

So it's doable in Croatia

I percieve UK as a very gray country with summers not overly hot, maybe 25 degrees celsius top

DeepSilence

Use and Aesthetic

My wardrobe has gotten out of control, I think I've passed the 200 bottle mark; therefore, I prefer to have my fragrances organized by fragrance category (the shelves are labeled even). It's much easier for me to make a choice as to what I want to wear that way.

With less than 40 bottles I don't really need to organize it. What I do though is that I use 2 shelves: every time I elect a fragrance as my SOTD I move it from the top shelf to the bottom shelf. I normally don't pick up any of the bottom shelf bottles until I have completely emptied out the top shelf. Then I start all over again with the bottom shelf fragrances that I move to the top shelf every time I use them.

This guarantees a perfect rotation of the wardrobe and makes it sure that no bottle will collect dust. Over a period of 40 days each fragrance has been used once and once only. This requires a strict discipline and I actually break the rules once or twice a month, not more (by moving a bottle from one shelf to the other without using it or by using a bottle from the "destination" shelf - I especially do it with new bottles).

Even if organized chronologically on Basenotes, very random and unorganized in real life

a la Tetris.
    However they'll best fit in my wardrobe.

Olfactory.
    And in the olfactory group the disposition is chronological.

I could start by wishing that I DID.

Other: By sillage.

wow, I'm genuinely surprised. I sort of understand arranging by house for a "collector", but I would have thought more people would sort by either use or olifactory group (somewhat related)
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I organize it like a collector -- by aesthetic and by brand if they are housed in the same styled bottles. (e.g. Lutens bottles)

Other miscellany has to look okay when put together. You wouldn't want to put a Y-bottle Nemo next to an aluminum Montale with a shocking pink Britney Spears in front of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    a la Tetris.
    However they'll best fit in my wardrobe.
    Haha I like that. Me too.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    I organize it like a collector -- by aesthetic and by brand if they are housed in the same styled bottles. (e.g. Lutens bottles)

Other miscellany has to look okay when put together. You wouldn't want to put a Y-bottle Nemo next to an aluminum Montale with a shocking pink Britney Spears in front of the two.
    This. Your collection inspired mine!

I use to organise my wardrobe by brand but now it is totally unorganised!!!

By use. Usually i organize them by season and may replace 2 or 3 of them during the same season depending on the month and the weather. Usually when a new season starts i pick 8-10 appropriate frags for that season and bring them to the very front.

My fragrance obsession . . . or collection, is organized by olfactory categories, boundaries, dividers and cabinet storage limitations.

I organize by olfacory categories that make sense to me and keep these categories separated in multiple drawers of a cabinet. I have to print up tiny labels to attach to the top of the bottle caps so I can tell what is in the drawers by looking down on the collection that is huddled inside each drawer. The cabinet of stored bottles is a fluid system, of fluctuating inventory that receives new bottles coming in, sends the unused out for sale or trade, and keeps all my selections in an order for pulling a weekly rotation of what I am using for wear. I keep about 20 bottles in my weekly rotation of things I might wear and keep these in the bathroom. I organize my fragrance collection cabinet drawers with dividers by olfactory category for example: incense fragrances are all in one segment and the same for Florals, Green+Vetiver, Citrus+Fresh, Amber+Orientals+Leather, Attars+Oils+Oudh - these are all self made categories and I keep them sorted accordingly. I keep samples and small decants in their own drawer and these are also organized by the same olfactory categories, kept in clear plastic boxes so I can look inside through the clutter of vials and find specific samples.

My wardrobe is organized by use. The bottles I reach for most and those I wear during the current season are in front.

I wish the sample collection I just purchased was better organized. None of it is carded so it's a jumbled mess of little vials that I have to sort through to find anything. They are divided up in plastic bags into 5 batches of about 30 each but there's still no rhyme or reason to how they are divided. It's divided how they came to me. I think I will try to get index cards to connect them to with the names written on the cards and possibly I can get them sorted much better. It won't take me so long to find the one I'm looking for. At least I scored a cool black wooden box at a thrift store for $5 to keep them all in.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!