Code of Conduct

Default Gone Forever - Vanille Extreme - Can You Please Recommend Substitute?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post . . . Just over one year ago, I discovered in Sephora, Comptoir Sud Pacifique's "Vanille Extreme." The scent was so wonderful, I felt I had died and gone to heaven. I wore nothing else but this fragrance. Comptoir recently redid the fragrance and placed it in a glass bottle as opposed to the aluminum container. I am so disappointed by this new formulation - this wonderful vanilla scent now has the unmistakable smell of baby powder. It is so overwhelming it is now hard to tell there is any vanilla in the perfume. Can I please prevail upon you to recommend scents which are primarily (if not solely) vanilla? Thank you so much!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gone Forever - Vanille Extreme - Can You Please Recommend Substitute?

My go-to vanilla is Profumum - Dulcis in Fundo. It is the creamiest, most delicious vanilla I've ever found. It is expensive, but it is parfum strength. That huge bottle will last a lifetime! Try it at Luckyscent.

Default Re: Gone Forever - Vanille Extreme - Can You Please Recommend Substitute?

WHAT! I thought they'd just repackaged Vanille Extreme! Argh, this was my favorite vanilla as well.

Farmacia SS Annunziata has a beautiful vanilla in Vaniglia del Madagascar (not to be confused with the I Profumi di Firenze frag bearing the same name -- which is reportedly also great, but I haven't tried it). But it doesn't have that almost green vanilla-pod smell of Vanille Extreme. It's a gentler vanilla, more subtle, with lemony aspects, if not so great with longevity. I think it smells like really good vanilla extract brightened in the top with some citrus.

Why note just hunt around for a bottle/can of the old stuff?

I smelled this on someone and actually stopped her to ask what it was (I normally don't do that). So, yep, it's a nice one!
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Can anyone comment on Molinard Vanille and how it compares to Vanille Extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by Aznavour View Post
    Can anyone comment on Molinard Vanille and how it compares to Vanille Extreme?
    Hi Aznavour,

Based on the strength of testimonials regarding "Vanille" by Molinard on this forum, I purchased it without smelling it first. It is incredible and as good (if not better smelling) than "Vanille Extreme." Maybe it's me, but after I spray "Vanille Extreme," I am able to smell it on myself, but after one minute or so, I can't seem to smell the Moulinard "Vanille." Obviously others smell it because I attended a meeting today and someone commented about how great I smelled. My taste is very much like yours since we both loved the Vanille Extreme, and I don't think you will be disappointed by Moulinard - it's great! I spoke with the woman responsible for bringing "Vanille Extreme" to the States from France, and she cautioned me about purchasing "Vanille Extreme" after a certain period of time because its shelf life is only so long. Please let me know if you try anything vanilla you really love and I will continue to share my finds with everyone. Cheers, Faith

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    My go-to vanilla is Profumum - Dulcis in Fundo. It is the creamiest, most delicious vanilla I've ever found. It is expensive, but it is parfum strength. That huge bottle will last a lifetime! Try it at Luckyscent.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I will be ordering a sample! Cheers, Faith

My favorite vanilla is Indult Tihota. Depending on who you talk to, people tend to either enthuse, "It smells like vanilla extract right out of the bottle!" or grumble, "It smells like vanilla extract right out of the bottle; who would pay for that?" I'm one of the enthusers, but I can't bring myself to spend that much.

Threshold -- I agree with the short shelf life of Vanille Extreme. I've had a few samples of it from Sephora which I got at different times, and I could easily tell which one came from a new bottle and which came from an old one. The older juice was totally synthetic and flat, and I doubt it was years old or anything. This is actually why I've never bought a bottle of it. When I saw the new packaging, I thought I'd finally spring for it at BeautyHabit. Thank god I read your post before!!

Your Molinard Vanille -- do you have the one in the blue, round bottle ("Les Senteurs" apparently?) or the one in the clear, round-top bottle ("Les Orientaux")?

Oh! Have you tried Lann-Ael? It's not pure vanilla, but it's wonderful.

ChickenFreak -- I've heard good things about Indult Tihota... but that price is beyond me, I'm afraid! It's bad enough that every time I walk into Scent Bar, $150 vanishes from my account... Thanks, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Aznavour View Post
    Threshold -- I agree with the short shelf life of Vanille Extreme. I've had a few samples of it from Sephora which I got at different times, and I could easily tell which one came from a new bottle and which came from an old one. The older juice was totally synthetic and flat, and I doubt it was years old or anything. This is actually why I've never bought a bottle of it. When I saw the new packaging, I thought I'd finally spring for it at BeautyHabit. Thank god I read your post before!!

Your Molinard Vanille -- do you have the one in the blue, round bottle ("Les Senteurs" apparently?) or the one in the clear, round-top bottle ("Les Orientaux")?

Oh! Have you tried Lann-Ael? It's not pure vanilla, but it's wonderful.

ChickenFreak -- I've heard good things about Indult Tihota... but that price is beyond me, I'm afraid! It's bad enough that every time I walk into Scent Bar, $150 vanishes from my account... Thanks, though!
    I purchased the clear (but substantial) bottle containing only the word "Vanille" with eau de toilette written in very small letters underneath. The label is a taupe/brown shiny one. I odered it from theperfumespot.com and with their 10% promotion, ended up paying only around $27 or $28 including delivery. For a small monetary investment, I got a great cologne! (I know exactly what you meant about the quality of "Vanille Extreme" varying from bottle to bottle but this smells so very much like the perfect "batch" of the Comptoir Sud Pacifique scent!)

Update: After having used 2 bottles of Vanille by Moulinard, I can state categorically that it is the best (and most true) pure vanilla I have ever used. Unfortunately, it has very little staying power. I also purchased LaVanilla's Pure Vanilla and it's ok, but it's not a pure vanilla - some of the notes are sickeningly sweet. I am sending this thread around once more for any additional recommendations. Thank you very much!

L'Artisan does one called Vanillia (?) and I've heard people say they love it, although I've never tried it myself.

Annick Goutal Vanille Exquise - Natural vanille, very gorgeous

It smells EXACTLY the same on me.