Code of Conduct

Arrow I love me some Iso E Super !

For some reason Iím attracted to fragrances that have this ingredient. Some of my favís are

Cartier Delaration
    Terre díHermes
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    A&F Fierce

Iím also noticing 2 Jean-Claude Ellena having a nack for using this ingredient.

What other fragrances are along these lines? fresh/woody/aromatic ?

Default Re: I love me some Iso E Super !

I agree; I like the big IES. I understand the "robocedar" complaints, but at the same time, the stuff creates an impression of buoyant fizziness that I really like.

As so stated yourself, try as many JCE scents as possible. He is known for using IES to great effect (or not, depending on your opinion of IES).

Also, many Ormonde Jayne scents use quite a bit of the stuff. Isfarkand comes to mind as a good example. This is definitely a "fresh woody aromatic."

I believe Dior Fahrenheit uses quite a bit of it, and was one of the first to make use of the chemical. Also woody and aromatic, somewhat fresh.

Be sure to try Escentric 01, as the stuff is basically pure IES.

I'll re-post this as well. Scents with the most IES:

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I love it too!!!

This stuff gives me a headake. I curse the day it was invented!

Point Blank

I don't know if I can actually single out the note. But like you, I like fragrances that have lots of the stuff.

Very cool chart, LiveJazz. Where'd you get it?

It's from an essay by perfumer Geza SchŲn that originally appeared in the journal Chemistry & Biodiversity 5.6 (2008).
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I have nothing against Iso E Super. In the hands of a master, it's seldom a problem. From that list, I enjoy Terre d'Hermes, Encre Noire & Kenzo Air.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I love it too!!!
    Me too!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Very cool chart, LiveJazz. Where'd you get it?
    Originally posted here by the_good_life in 2008.

That is a great thread for general ISO E Super information.

His stated source was: Geza SchŲn, " 'Escentric molecules,'" Chemistry & Biodiversity, 5.6 (July 2008), 1154 - 1158

P.S. that's post 3000 for me!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Can't stand the damn stuff, it ruins enjoyment of many otherwise decent frags for me and causes at least a few to give me a headache and/or stuffed sinuses. Ironically, I love the scent of incense and cedar, the two general types of notes which perfumers seem to love with IES, so most of these are unwearable for me.

Terre D'Hermes, Encre Noire and Fierce are three of the best scents going in my opinion. In fact, those three would make a darn good wardrobe!

You're gonna really dig Marc Jacobs Bang if that's the case

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    You're gonna really dig Marc Jacobs Bang if that's the case
    Got my new bottle last night and am blown away with Bang.
    To me it is Poivre Samarcande with a bit more wood (pine, cedar). I think I like this even more than Terre d'Hermes.
    I guess if I needed even more confirmation that I need Iso E super, this is it. Almost like Marc Jacobs designed this for me. Just awesome.

Ok, I'm going to come out ask: what does Iso E Super smell like?

^ I think the general consensus is that it doesn't smell like much by itself (maybe a faint woody amber smell). I've never smelled it in its pure form, so I can only comment on what has previously been stated.

However, what it does do is amplify and brighten existing notes and, as I stated earlier, give scents a very fizzy, buoyant feel, brightening and extending all the notes that would be there anyway. Kind of like the MSG of fragrance.

As an example, I've heard that if you apply some Molecule01, then spray a wimpy EDC on top of it, that EDC projects like a powerhouse for hours. And if you just apply the Molecule01, you can't smell yourself, but that's because it's intensifying your natural body scent, which we all take for granted - but others notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    As an example, I've heard that if you apply some Molecule01, then spray a wimpy EDC on top of it, that EDC projects like a powerhouse for hours.
    really! interesting.... because I have some EDC's I love, they just don't last or project much... can anyone else confirm this?

It's too bad that I'm nearly anosmic to it. TdH and Encre Noire don't feel long lasting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    really! interesting.... because I have some EDC's I love, they just don't last or project much... can anyone else confirm this?
    Several manufacturers of IES mention this online in their product descriptions:

"ISO e super, yellow or pale yellow oil, can be used in fragrance as the fixative, to enhance the aroma. Maximum amount can be up to 30%."
    http://sanhuanxiangliao.en.made-in-c...ct-list-1.html

"fragrance or flavor fixative, yellow or pale yellow pale yellow oils.packing in 200kg drum .floral and ambergris aroma."
    http://www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/1090978.htm

Also see this thread.

It seems that a lot of Ormonde Jayne fragrances are heavy on Iso E Super, but i have only tried on my skin ormonde jayne man, which use Iso E Super, but in moderate doses to brighten the woods at base.
    Encre Noire from Lalique on my skin is all about Iso E Super after 2-3 hours. It starts with a dry, inky vetiver note and ends, at least on me, in a super dose of iso e super.
    Another lalique fragrance that has proeminent iso e super is Perles de Lalique. It`s a spicy pepper iso e super with some dry roses and patchouly, very unissex.
    I suspect that Guerlain Homme Intense also uses iso e super in large doses, since the soft, bright, wood aura, that lingers on skin in a soft way, it`s very iso e super.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I agree; I like the big IES. I understand the "robocedar" complaints, but at the same time, the stuff creates an impression of buoyant fizziness that I really like.

As so stated yourself, try as many JCE scents as possible. He is known for using IES to great effect (or not, depending on your opinion of IES).

Also, many Ormonde Jayne scents use quite a bit of the stuff. Isfarkand comes to mind as a good example. This is definitely a "fresh woody aromatic."

I believe Dior Fahrenheit uses quite a bit of it, and was one of the first to make use of the chemical. Also woody and aromatic, somewhat fresh.

Be sure to try Escentric 01, as the stuff is basically pure IES.

I'll re-post this as well. Scents with the most IES:

Now this explains why i feel a lot of Iso E super on Encre Noire. I never realized that the Kenzo Air light woodiness was due to iso e super, and this also explains why a lot of people say that Kenzo Air doesn`t last longer on skin. Do you know if Kenzo Air intense is also heavy on Iso e Super? And what about Guerlain Homme Intense?

Basenotes Institution

I love it too.

Try 2 Man by Comme des Garcons, it has loads of it.

I suspect that some people read IES as "bug spray" as a number of IES heavy fragrances have gotten such comments either in reviews or people commenting that their acquaintances have made such remarks, etc. (I recall just reading on these boards a comment from someone who said that a friend or co-worker found that Encre Noire smelled like bug spray.)

I don't hate the stuff, but I don't like it in very large doses. It lingers forever, far outwearing its welcome, and becomes more abrasive over time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more