Code of Conduct

Default To Tell or Not To Tell...

What are your guys thoughts on whether to reveal the name of your fragrance when you are asked?To me, I always find it difficult to tell people what I am wearing because I don't want them to go out and buy it. So when I'm asked what I am wearing I make up something like "oh, its a gift, I don't know the name of it" or something ridiculous like "its my natural scent" or "i make it myself".Do you guys like revealing the name of your fragrance when asked about it. If not what do you say?

Default Re: To Tell or Not To Tell...

I always come clean; the world could do with a few more people who smell like me.

Besides, I am not in the habit of lying to strangers, much less people I actually know and like.

I don't mind telling because who am I to deny someone the pleasure of exploring and finding resolution in their fragrant journey. It might be just what the person needs to feel great and confident. Besides, what most of us wear here, there will be no danger of smelling it on every joe. Even if I told the person, they would most likely give up because they wouldn't be able to remember the name, not shuck our the money, or some other reason. If they go the mile to find it, go for it and have at it! Besides, your beloved fragrances need followers to ensure it's production. If it were only you, the company could not sustain its creation.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

At least in my circles there's little danger of everyone rushing out to buy niche fragrances and I would be delighted if someone did. I always say what I'm wearing, and I usually enjoy the conversation that it open onto.

I'm rarely asked, but I'm always happy to tell.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I generally tell people because with any of the niche scents I wear, people get lost when you tell them. They want a quick and recognizable brand name their brain can lock on. Chanel, Dolce & Gabana; Armani. The designer fragrances for the most part very deliberately choose short, quick, easy names that work well in English. People tend to want your answer to contain at least something they can relate to and perhaps remember; either the designer or a simple evocative name like "Code," "Le Male," or "Gucci Pour Homme." I think they are delighted when they recognize some part of your answer.

But when you say "L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme," you can see their lights go out (especially if you impart a truly French pronunciation). Then you then have to assess whether or not they are really interested enough for you to repeat, go slowly, and truly let them know what it is ( "luh instant day gur-lain pour hommey) I've only ever had one person interested enough to have me write it down (I was wearing Domenico Caraceni 1913).

I find with the people I work with, when they ask the question it's more of a conversational question; they are not really interested in running out to purchase the scent. It's kind of an interesting social interaction really. I rotate through so many scents, I have no fears of others buying something I wear.

I don't think anyone I work with has even heard of Creed and they're probably the best known niche perfumer. Biggest concern I usually have when people ask is someone googling the scent and seeing the price, especially if I'm wearing a pricey scent (e.g. Antico Caruso). While many of the people I work with make more than me and could certainly afford pricey scents, most would find any men's fragrance purchase over about $80 to be a vain, frivolous and extravagant purchase. Most would be appalled that anyone who isn't a billionaire would pay over $200 for a scent.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th July 2010 at 05:55 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    At least in my circles there's little danger of everyone rushing out to buy niche fragrances and I would be delighted if someone did. I always say what I'm wearing, and I usually enjoy the conversation that it open onto.
    Ditto.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I would tell-- if I were ever asked!

I have yet to bump into someone who was wearing any of my fragrances.

I usually just say what the prominent note is - ex. "it's a vetiver" or "...patchouli." I know people don't actually want to hear "it's vintage Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Eau Pour le Jeune." Seriously - to me - that would sound really snooty and pretentious, so I just say the note. Hardly anybody ever probes me further to find-out exactly which patchouli or amber or vetiver it is. They're just trying to make small talk, ya know? They (for the most part) don't really care. That's my experience, at least.

Those who ask usually never know what it is anyway. Most people at work tend to think anything more than $20 is too expensive for fragrance. The closest it has ever gotten was someone liked it on me so wanted to buy Encre Noire for her father for his birthday. She hemmed and hawed about spending $30, even though she really liked it.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    She hemmed and hawed about spending $30, even though she really liked it.
    Exactly. Interesting, isn't it. I guess that's why there's a forum for us lunatics.

I'm with StylinLA. The last time I was asked I was wearing L' air du desert maroccain. It was so funny to watch their expressions when I told them. Of course, my French didn't help, but the instant disconnect was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    I'm with StylinLA. The last time I was asked I was wearing L' air du desert maroccain. It was so funny to watch their expressions when I told them. Of course, my French didn't help, but the instant disconnect was amazing.
    LMAO. Another great one to throw people for a huge loop no matter how you pronounce. You should just say "Desert by Tauer." Then they'd be happy. And I bet they'd think you got in a drugstore because they don't recognize the designer name as something they've seen in Macys.

They'd be in CVS and Walgreens asking the cologne clerk about it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th July 2010 at 06:20 PM.

I admit it. In my younger days, I did not want to divulge my favorite scent. (But only my favorite) as I didn't want everyone knowing about it. I don't do that anymore.

Put your nose to your wrist and say " that smells like come to me " and wink , they'll either laugh or walk off mortally offended ...........

I usually have a worried thoughts and feelings like these:

-- "Ohh no, they hate it."
    -- "Oh no, they will criticize my choice if they are scent educated."
    -- "Oh no, I will embarrass them since they won't know the house."
    -- "Oh no, they might find out they can't afford it and feel bad, they may look down on me since I spent so much, etc."

Then I look on the bright side and tell them. I look at it as an opportunity to help expand their horizons. Basenoters should take the initiative to be the ambassadors of the fragrance world. The more people are fragrance educated, maybe better ones will be made.

I have no problem telling people what I am wearing. They wouldn't be able to find most of them anyway.

This is always a tough one. If they REALLY look interested then yes.. but if not then no.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

No big deal altho people seldom ask. If someone is genuinely interested I'll write it down for them or point them to the brand website or tell them where they can try it but this has only happened a couple of times with people I already know.

Yes I tell them. =) And usually it turns out, they're not familiar with the brand, specially the niche perfumes. hahahahaha

I usually just say "It's something my wife bought me, I don't know." That stops the conversation there. Unless, of course, the question comes from one of my fragrance clued-in friends. I tell the name, and lots of details, in that case.

I'm always amused and a bit surprised by responses whenever this topic comes up. Although I've never been asked myself, I can't imagine why someone wouldn't be delighted to tell someone what they're wearing. All that effort to pick just the right fragrance for the day and you don't want to share?? if I were asked, I'm afraid I'd talk the poor person's ears off!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The last time a girl asked me, I was wearing Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens. And the look on her face showed it failed to register. Haha. I do wish more people would ask. Guys often find it awkward to ask another guy what fragrance he's wearing.