Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Diesel Zero Plus Masculine

Hey Guys:

Finally got to test out this old Diesel fragrance, courtesy of Kerosene. Anyway, my take is that it is basically another variation on the spicy vanilla frag. Tom Ford gave us vanilla and tobacco, Bulgari Black added some leather and rubber, Diesel goes with the cinnamon and likeminded spice. It seems to me that the vanilla in Zero Plus may be a bit less obvious, since I think the cinnamon doesn't require much boost to get sweet. A frag like Bulgari Black needed a ton of vanilla, since rubber and leather are by nature rather harsh ingredients. So that's my thought on Zero Plus. Once again, I may be setting myself up for all kinds of critisism, since lately, nobody wants to agree with my nasal impressions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on Diesel Zero Plus Masculine

Actually that sounds accurate to me. My partner wears this, I've nicked it once or twice. It's a bit powdery but nice.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Not sweet, and the first hour or so is harsh, but then the powdery drydown is incredible, though not very strong. I think heliotrope and cinnamon are the dominant notes.

I guess I can at least go to bed tonight knowing that someone kinda agrees with my assessment here. Of course, by tomorrow night, basenoters will probably have me thinking that Diesel Zero Plus has more in common with Paris Hilton for Men than Bulgari Black.

It's not vanilla but heliotrope !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You couldn't be further from the truth BradW. There's no vanilla in this fragrance at all. Everything you know about fragrances is completely wrong.

I've wanted to try this for awhile. I love the bottle! Sounds interesting too
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

There are probably a few dozen different synthetic molecules, and the natural ones are more complex (and this could include vanilla), but when a perfumer creates a frag, they decide to feature certain notes or accords prominently. Other notes serve to create a richness, a "structure," etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Ehh, to me, this is a difficult fragrance to pull off, but not as bad in the winter. I don't get much vanilla but it's definitley in there. More so in the opening to me, hiding behind heaps of cinnamon, and accompanied with a rubber note, but a very smooth rubber note. Stays pretty linear throughout but becomes more powdery in the middle and even in the top, and has a patchouli and musky base. Not one of my favorites, but I do reach for it sometimes when I want a change of pace, this stuff is much different than most stuff out there. Although I notice Zirh Ikon to be a little similar, only Ikon has a much more rubbery drydown and more clove in the opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really DONT know how to wear this, and i wear almost anything ive got at anytime. Same results as everyone else, powdery, kinda rubbery, truckload of cinnamon, lots of florals, hints of vanilla...opening is Vanilla Coke in smells for a few minutess (my favorite part!)

...my issue is that it... the best way i cant explain it is if you take cooking flour and put some on your tongue, you get that dry, powdery, almost itchy feeling. Thats what it does to my nose

Its just an extremely powdery, barely wearable fragrance. Ballsy to make, which is why im assuming its discontinued

For those who don't really know what heliotrope smells like, if you can sample Etro's Heliotrope, it would probably help you to understand what the perfumers tried to accomplish with this frag and also ones like Jaipur Homme.

[QUOTE=CanwllCorfe;1894956]You couldn't be further from the truth BradW. There's no vanilla in this fragrance at all. Everything you know about fragrances is completely wrong.

I knew there was going to be a naysayer out there on this thread. According to basenotes, fragrantica, and perfumeemporium, there is a vanilla note in this fragrance. I know that note pyramids seem to differ website to website, but this seems like a no-brainer. I mentioned that the vanilla seems more subdued, but I believe it is there. Something has to account for the sweetness. If anything, the so-called floral notes seem more absent than anything else. Also, what is this about "everything you know about fragrances is wrong".
    I have one of the fastest growing fragrance Youtube channels. At the rate I'm going, you may very well have a designer frag in your cabinet with my name on it within the next 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do hope you know I was being facetious. That's what the emoticon after I said that was for
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    what is this about "everything you know about fragrances is wrong".
    I think you were just being teased, probably because your opening post had such a defensive tone. (In other words, you got that response because you predicted you would -- but it was not meant seriously!)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    I think you were just being teased, probably because your opening post had such a defensive tone. (In other words, you got that response because you predicted you would -- but it was not meant seriously!)
    Precisely! If you ever read something from me that sounds sarcastic, trust me.. it is. I'm the last person on here to say anything negative about anyone and I'm always joking around. Sorry for the misunderstanding
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

For those who want a good frag lesson, see if you can sample DZPaM on one arm and Kenzo Amour EdP on the other. This will show you the difference between two powdery frags, one with heliotrope being dominant and the other with vanilla being dominant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I have one of the fastest growing fragrance Youtube channels. At the rate I'm going, you may very well have a designer frag in your cabinet with my name on it within the next 5 years.
    You seem a bit arrogant. I also don't understand why you are always so defensive. Nobody here is deliberately trying to disagree with you. It's just that when you make such bold statements and make them seem factual when they're simply your opinion, you're going to get a lot more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    You seem a bit arrogant. I also don't understand why you are always so defensive. Nobody here is deliberately trying to disagree with you. It's just that when you make such bold statements and make them seem factual when they're simply your opinion, you're going to get a lot more feedback.
    I hope I don't come across as arrogant to the average joe out there. Actually, I think video reviews reveal so much more about someone's personality than a written post. I believe I mentioned before, sometimes it's hard to know the tone of a post when it's simply written out, emotocon or not. As far as being a cologne designer, I was just playing a bit myself. As far as my Youtube channel, I got about 40 subscribers, so I know that I'm not in the same league as Marc or Kerosene, However, if I have a sample laying around, I will try to post a video about it in the hopes of letting the world know if a frag is legit or just a piece of garbage. I don't honestly know how any type of fragrance review can be completely void of an opinion. I see Avon frags listed on basenotes with near perfect scores, while some of my faves are neutral at best. Finally, I always try to impress upon people, especially newbies to cologne, to stay away from the niche as much as possible. In my "opinion", true arrogance in the fragrance community would be saying that there is no designer substitute for a niche frag. That kind of arrogance is the absolute worst, since it robs the innocent gullible newbie of his cologne budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

^going along with your last statement...

That drives me CRAZY! when someone TOTALLY new the fragrances asks for (for example) a sweet fragrance someone suggests Tobacco Vanille or some Bond No. 9. Its like, these people arent really looking for the most expensive thing out there, theyre still new to all this

Post Thanks / Like

I agree as well, I always try to recommend the more economically priced fragrances. More mainstream and easy to access as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    ^going along with your last statement...

That drives me CRAZY! when someone TOTALLY new the fragrances asks for (for example) a sweet fragrance someone suggests Tobacco Vanille or some Bond No. 9. Its like, these people arent really looking for the most expensive thing out there, theyre still new to all this
    Exactly, man! If I blind bought the last two samples of Bond No. 9 that I sampled, I'd be out about 400 dollars and have a very expensive bottle of Pledge and a very expensive bottle of Axe body spray. (Great Jones and Harrods)

Unhappy Re: Thoughts on Diesel Zero Plus Masculine

this one smells like ...your dad's Old Spice making out with your mom's Max Factor foundation powder , somewhere in a crowded spice market of east asia .... eeewww

btw , the one thing i liked was the fire extinguisher kinda cool red bottle in a dome . very unusual .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hollowcaste View Post
    this one smells like ...your dad's Old Spice making out with your mom's Max Factor foundation powder , somewhere in a crowded spice market of east asia .... eeewww

btw , the one thing i liked was the fire extinguisher kinda cool red bottle in a dome . very unusual .
    Yeah, I agree. There's been tons of these floating around at TJ Maxx & Marshalls got the last year & I've tried it a couple of times, but just didn't care for it. I still, for the life of me, cannot see anything appealing in a powdery fragrance. I've tried to find one I liked & sampled several (Brit, LeMale, 360 White, Diesel M. Plus), but to me, they all smell like something an 80 year old grandma would wear. Powder reminds me of the Shower to Shower that old people who didn't bathe everyday used to use. I guess it's just me, but I don't see the attraction to powdery scents for anyone under 60 (male or female). But there are others who feel the same hate for aquatics & fresh scents, so to each his own

Post Thanks / Like

(please delete)
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 13th August 2011 at 01:49 PM.