Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Creed Aventus: My judgement enclosed

My sample vial was filled from the Creed concession at Selfridges in London from a Creed rep.

I've worn it several times and can honestly say this is one of the most under-whelming releases of the year. You smell like a pineapple for a while - though quite why anyone would want to want to smell like a pineapple FFS is beyond me - and then it kind of disappears into a frankly boring nothingness of a drydown.

I would really like to love this, but honestly I just can't. What is the fuss about? After the work that went into creating the opening, what the hell were Creed think of thereafter? Was it some kind of boardroom "Oh Jeez, our customers just LOVE smelling like pineapples, let's give them that experience, just in case they don't gave a pineapple experience to validate their lives, but after that we'll give them a non-descript dull drydown that they will worship because it's CREED. By the way, have we sourced enough unlikely royalty and Dukes for the back-story yet? No? Well find some!!!"
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    By the way, have we sourced enough unlikely royalty and Dukes for the back-story yet? No? Well find some!!!"
    I'm waiting for Creed Revolution - the new scent dedicated to Czar Nicholas and the last days of the Russian Monarchy. The perfume that wakes you up in the middle of the night with an overwhelming urge not to be taken to the basement.

Just testing this on a card and have only really got through the top notes so far, so more thoughts will be forthcoming, but does anyone get a similarity to RL Purple Label in the top? They're both fruity up top, although the fruits are a bit different, but I'm getting a huge dose of the same synthetic something in each.

So far, I like Aventus, but it seems a bit "un-Creed." I'm trying not to judge it yet though as it's still so early.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Just testing this on a card and have only really got through the top notes so far, so more thoughts will be forthcoming, but does anyone get a similarity to RL Purple Label in the top? They're both fruity up top, although the fruits are a bit different, but I'm getting a huge dose of the same synthetic something in each.

So far, I like Aventus, but it seems a bit "un-Creed." I'm trying not to judge it yet though as it's still so early.
    I can see where you draw similarities with PL but ultimately do think they are completely different. There is always something familiar about it but in the end, its not close enough to one thing that I can make a statement about it. Also, similarities or not, the quality of Aventus is unrivaled. I totally didn't like this fragrance since summer and I finally got it. It is class is a bottle.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

---edit: need to reevaluate---
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I'm waiting for Creed Revolution - the new scent dedicated to Czar Nicholas and the last days of the Russian Monarchy. The perfume that wakes you up in the middle of the night with an overwhelming urge not to be taken to the basement.
    Love this.
    - Expect the unexpected

How is the longevity and projection? Is it max 2 hours like rest of the fresh/light creeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    How is the longevity and projection? Is it max 2 hours like rest of the fresh/light creeds?
    I get 6-8 hours easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Controversial questions, Oslo. It plays peekaboo on me. Sometimes it's strong, sometimes I just don't smell it. I do enjoy the scent quite a bit; if it was 2X stronger in the drydown it would be heavenly. However, it's at purgatory strength I've had people 3 metres away enthusiastically compliment me on it, all the while I couldn't smell it. Yet there have been times I could still smell it 12 hours later...weird.
    Last edited by adonis; 7th December 2010 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Controversial questions, Oslo. It plays peekaboo on me. Sometimes it's strong, sometimes I just don't smell it. I do enjoy the scent quite a bit; if it was 2X stronger in the drydown it would be heavenly. However, it's at purgatory strength I've had people 3 metres away enthusiastically compliment me on it, all the while I couldn't smell it. Yet there have been times I could still smell it 12 hours later...weird.
    I have the same situation with Aventus in that sometimes I smell the base and sometimes disappears. But, I believe that it is still there and other people can smell it. This white musks+ambergris+vanilla base is a very light combination to begin with. They use this base when they want to put a lighter than air silvery powder coated ozonic finish to whatever the primary notes are in a fragrance (pineapple/green apple) so it ends with some magic. This white musk over vanilla is a hard combination to actually smell as a distinct note, I think. But the fragrance is still there whether we can smell it or not.

Aventus is one of the longest lasting fragrances I own, most potent fragrances I own. Its so potent it does cause noise fatigue and you get used to it, that’s why most say it last for an hour or two…

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    Aventus is one of the longest lasting fragrances I own, most potent fragrances I own. Its so potent it does cause noise fatigue and you get used to it, that’s why most say it last for an hour or two…
    I think this is a reasonable statement. Lets not forget that a fragrance that you constantly notice is said not to work with your chemistry. In other words, if you become anosmic, it is working for you. This is just a theory I read on here a long time ago. I wouldn't want to constantly recognize my fragrance as that would be irritating throughout the long day.

i think if anyone puts more than 3 sprays of Aventus on, they are gassing everyone out of the room, whether they realize it or not. trust me from (an embarrassing) experience on this one, when I used 3 sprays, and stopped discussion in a room full of people commenting how how strong my cologne was. Horrifying. I hate being "that guy".

from now on, 1 spray, maybe 2. reapply ONCE with one spray after about 4 hours if desired.
    Last edited by GECKO; 7th December 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko88 View Post
    i think if anyone puts more than 3 sprays of Aventus on, they are gassing everyone out of the room, whether they realize it or not. trust me from (an embarrassing) experience on this one, when I used 3 sprays.

from now on, 1 spray, maybe 2. reapply ONCE with one spray after about 4 hours if desired.
    This is also sound advice. I had applied one spray to the chest and when I went to an informal meeting, everyone was commenting how good I smelled. I couldn't really detect it, perhaps modestly. The power is there but it doesn't need to kill the wearer to be effective!

I liked it very much at first, the dry-down did not agree with me. I smelt it on a shirt collar from the day before and really turned me off to the scent. I wore it again the next day and had to wash it off.

It smells like Himalaya + fruit and smoke. I still like smelling it on a card.

I've concluded that Aventus smells great from my sprayer but on my skin, the fruits and vanilla base are the most pronounced notes, and it ends up smelling like a creamsicle. I don't think it's a bad scent, it just doesn't work on my skin.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 7th December 2010 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko88 View Post
    i think if anyone puts more than 3 sprays of Aventus on, they are gassing everyone out of the room, whether they realize it or not. trust me from (an embarrassing) experience on this one, when I used 3 sprays, and stopped discussion in a room full of people commenting how how strong my cologne was. Horrifying. I hate being "that guy".

I applied 1 spray to the middle of my neck this morning @ around 6:20am. I could still smell it on me @ around 1:00pm, although slightly...then it faded. Lasted almost 7 hours on my skin today. One spray is enough for me. The Creed sprayers are beasts & put out alot of juice.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I've concluded that Aventus smells great from my sprayer but on my skin, the fruits and vanilla base are the most pronounced notes, and it ends up smelling like a creamsicle. I don't think it's a bad scent, it just doesn't work on my skin.
    Thats strange, as I get no vanilla from this at all and as far as gourmands, to me, it smells nothing of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Thats strange, as I get no vanilla from this at all and as far as gourmands, to me, it smells nothing of the sort.
    Same here. The vanilla is so subtle to me it's pretty much not even there. I definitely don't get any gourmand feeling from Aventus at all.

I just finally took the plunge and bought the 1 oz. bottle of Aventus. My first few wearings grew on me slowly. I'm not a huge Creed fan, but there are a few scents that they do very well. Aventus somehow just struck me as bottle worthy finally and I bought it. There is a pinapple top note, but it is very dry; not too fruity. It just gives a sparkle to the rest of the fruity top note accord. There is definitely fruit, but it is so affected by the birch of the middle notes that the fruit is on the dry side. The floral heart is fresh and oddly complex. The base is rather gentle, and the least interesting part of the scent to me, but still very nice. The longevity seems mild, but I have heard that it is stronger, and longer lasting than it seems, so I'll have to test that and see.

The funny thing is that I got more compliments on this scent wearing it the day I purchased it than I have ever received on any fragrance I've ever worn. I even went into a coffee house to get a cup of tea, and someone said, "Oh my god what is that scent? That's the most wonderful scent I've ever smelled." She smelled all her friends and kept saying, "no, that's not it. It's a kind of clean man's fragrance. It's so amazing." I knew it must be me, since I was the only one who she hadn't sniffed yet... I just smiled and left. So I guess all the posts claiming it's a great compliment getter, were not exaggerating.

The more I test Aventus, the more I view it as "Concentre d'Ananas Verte", as both Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte and Aventus share similar basic structures....with differing fruits and sweeteners.......the tart fruits up top, the overall light presence, and a dry base of synthetic oakmoss and patchouli and very light unisex floral notes, with some sweetness at the bottom end (aventus sweetness from isobutavan and vanilla, and the Hermes sweetness from Coumarin)....but the sour/tart/fruity----to----light/masculine/moss/patch......both seem to share a similar underlying character.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Default Re: Creed Aventus: My final opinion enclosed

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    this is what Aventus smells like....Neroli Sauvage with Neroli removed, pineapple added, and the woody base.
    Huh, I must have missed this thread when you first posted.

I think your comparison is exactly right! I don't know how this didn't occur to me. Both become surprisingly dry, woody and mossy as they develop, with that sparkling flair on top. I really like NS, and I think I give Aventus the edge just for longevity.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I just finally took the plunge and bought the 1 oz. bottle of Aventus. My first few wearings grew on me slowly. I'm not a huge Creed fan, but there are a few scents that they do very well. Aventus somehow just struck me as bottle worthy finally and I bought it. There is a pinapple top note, but it is very dry; not too fruity. It just gives a sparkle to the rest of the fruity top note accord. There is definitely fruit, but it is so affected by the birch of the middle notes that the fruit is on the dry side. The floral heart is fresh and oddly complex. The base is rather gentle, and the least interesting part of the scent to me, but still very nice. The longevity seems mild, but I have heard that it is stronger, and longer lasting than it seems, so I'll have to test that and see.

The funny thing is that I got more compliments on this scent wearing it the day I purchased it than I have ever received on any fragrance I've ever worn. I even went into a coffee house to get a cup of tea, and someone said, "Oh my god what is that scent? That's the most wonderful scent I've ever smelled." She smelled all her friends and kept saying, "no, that's not it. It's a kind of clean man's fragrance. It's so amazing." I knew it must be me, since I was the only one who she hadn't sniffed yet... I just smiled and left. So I guess all the posts claiming it's a great compliment getter, were not exaggerating.
    The day you purchased Aventus, how many sprays and where did you apply that day? How long had it been since u had applied aventus when you walked into the coffee shop?

Quote Originally Posted by popo940 View Post
    The day you purchased Aventus, how many sprays and where did you apply that day? How long had it been since u had applied aventus when you walked into the coffee shop?
    I sprayed one spray to my shirt at the store from the tester. It was 30 minutes before I went into the coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCheese21 View Post
    Same here. The vanilla is so subtle to me it's pretty much not even there. I definitely don't get any gourmand feeling from Aventus at all.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCheese21 View Post
    Smell the cap from your bottle a week after you applied last, and the "cake frosting vanilla" is there, fairly strongly to me, I might add. On skin though the vanilla/isobutavan is very light and faint.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

I agree with you.

NS - neroli + pineapple + birch = Aventus

When A dries down, it's almost identical to NS

I was contemplating the same thing so I walked into a store and grabbed Aventus, then applied 3 full sprays to my arm at 5:20PM. That night I went out and pretty much passed out without having shower (I know!), I could still smell it on my arm at nearly midday, ordered.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by sumandre View Post
    When A dries down, it's almost identical to NS
    Not for me.

I got a sample recently and tried out Aventus. It has a nice opening blast, but after 30 minutes for me I could barely smell it. I know some people have commented that it can have this olfactory fatigue effect, but I never personally experienced such a thing. I will try several more times to see if this always happens, but I am quite disappointed that I couldn't smell it after the opening.