Code of Conduct

Default Mugler Cologne or Marc Jacobs for Men?

Essentially what I'm asking is, fig note or soap note? For the spring/summer.

I am caught between the two. I cannot afford Philosykos although I love its fig note, I have to settle for Marc Jacobs which I haven't tried because it is not available in New Zealand.

Default Re: Mugler Cologne or Marc Jacobs for Men?

Marc Jacobs is a great fragrance, I say go for it. Mugler Cologne might be more versatile and perhaps even better suited to spring/summer, but Marc Jacobs is the overall better scent IMO. I don't know if you'd want it for an everyday scent, though. If you're looking for an everyday workhorse scent, Mugler might be better.

Neither is a bad choice, Marshmellow, so you'll be safe with your choice. I'm fortunate enough to have the addicting Philosykos, and prize it greatly, so I'd say the Marc Jacobs is the catchier one. It's the more liberal of the choices since the soap of MC is a bit more conservative. MC is fine product too, but I found that wearing it got boring after half the day wearing it. I made my bottle a gift to a female cousin in college who promptly told me she hated it. Phooey on her, and not that her opinion makes any difference here anyway. I like MC but if you get it you'll want to buy something with more nose-tease by the end of the summer.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Marc Jacobs is a great fragrance, I say go for it. Mugler Cologne might be more versatile and perhaps even better suited to spring/summer, but Marc Jacobs is the overall better scent IMO. I don't know if you'd want it for an everyday scent, though. If you're looking for an everyday workhorse scent, Mugler might be better.
    Thanks Chasing, I am now considering Marc Jacobs for Men over Mugler Cologne now. After some consideration I realise that I probably would not think that Mugler Cologne would be as fun and playful to wear as Marc Jacobs for the spring and summer for me. Mugler Cologne has that out of the shower feel, Marc Jacobs however would present a more playful impression than just merely something "clean". Mugler Cologne would be bought by me in the future though

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Neither is a bad choice, Marshmellow, so you'll be safe with your choice. I'm fortunate enough to have the addicting Philosykos, and prize it greatly, so I'd say the Marc Jacobs is the catchier one. It's the more liberal of the choices since the soap of MC is a bit more conservative. MC is fine product too, but I found that wearing it got boring after half the day wearing it. I made my bottle a gift to a female cousin in college who promptly told me she hated it. Phooey on her, and not that her opinion makes any difference here anyway. I like MC but if you get it you'll want to buy something with more nose-tease by the end of the summer.
    I tried Philosykos in a down town shop, I fell in love with it. Can you make some comparisons of it to Marc Jacobs? How do their fig notes compare? Are they similar? Different? Just wondering, because if Philosykos is better, I might as well get Mugler Cologne and save up some cash to invest in Philosykos after as its fig note would be more wonderful.

Sur la Plage

I highly recommend Mugler Cologne. I highly don't recommend Marc Jacobs for Men.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I find Marc Jacobs too linear and over powdery, so may cause problems in summer. Admittedly Mugler Cologne is also linear, but I find it a more interesting scent.

Blog Entries

I received a free sample of Marc Jacobs in one of my online orders. I sampled it several times (one spray to the wrist/hand) and really liked it each time. Then I gave it a proper wearing and got tired of it pretty quickly that day. I like the top notes, but the heart and base are really not something I want to smell like.

Mugler Cologne, on the other hand, is in my regular rotation.

I think it comes down to what you are looking for. As has been said, MC is much more versatile, and better suited for spring/summer. If you really want a fig focused frag, MJ is probably a pretty good one.

Why not get both?

PawelL

I would not buy either, sorry.
    There's nothing really special about them at all.

Go with Mugler Cologne. My guess is you'll like it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

You love the fig note so I say get the fig note - get a decant of Philosykos. Even 10ml will last the season, with rotation. If I were to stick to full bottle purchases only, I'd be missing out on many great fragrances.

If I had to choose a full bottle, I'd probably go with Marc Jacobs. I have a large collection, and a lot seem to be soapy. I don't know of any others I have right now with a fig note. I think fig is cool, since it is like a more masculine coconut smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    I tried Philosykos in a down town shop, I fell in love with it. Can you make some comparisons of it to Marc Jacobs? How do their fig notes compare? Are they similar? Different? Just wondering, because if Philosykos is better, I might as well get Mugler Cologne and save up some cash to invest in Philosykos after as its fig note would be more wonderful.
    Marc Jacobs is very reminiscent of Philosykos, but it doesn't nail it and will only be an approximation. It will remind you that you're not wearing Philosykos, unfortunately. So I say you'll be better off with MC and using your plan to save up for the one you really like.

I own Philosykos but only worn Marc Jacobs to test it from fragrance counters. I think I have a sample vial around so I'll try and dig that up and give you a better comparison of the two, but my memory has Marc Jacobs for Men as less green, more sweet, and with the ingredients seemingly less integrated than Philosykos has them. Also the fig note tends a bit more toward some light white flowers, I think I recall (could be very wrong) or creamy smooth stuff.

Still, given how smitten you are with Philosykos, I think that makes the choice obvious: Mugler's Cologne. That way you won't be hurting yourself with second best of something you love.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Mugler Cologne

Mugler Cologne for sure!
    Gary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You love the fig note so I say get the fig note - get a decant of Philosykos. Even 10ml will last the season, with rotation. If I were to stick to full bottle purchases only, I'd be missing out on many great fragrances.
    Great advice here. I've been going the decant route (buying and trading) myself this year, and I think I'm much more satisfied because of it. I certainly have been able to experience many more/different fragrances than I would have buying bottles.

Let me say that I adore everything about Mugler Cologne, yet in a very hot weather I've had issues with it getting too 'present', too 'perfumey' - the soapy & clean aspect of it being totally overwhelmed by its floral / heavy aspects. yes, it really could get heavy in a way. I'm talking about considerably hot weather, when many fragrances just start insisting on their presence in an annoying way. In this cases citrus just loses its significant role here.

On the other side, I think Marc Jacobs for Men puts a fresh and quite natural fig note in a quite 'formal' and generic surrounding and for me too often it's being hidden by plain and boring coconut. Seems common to enhance the fig with a coconut note, but here it's just too much... or too plain... or I've just been in too many cars with a coconut air freshener, i don't know.

I'd highly recommend another fig fragrance - Fico di Amalfi. It's fig and fresh green, a little sweet but never too sweet. In fact it connects to the skin in a very natural way, almost like it's not a fragrance at all; and it never, never gets too much in the hot days.

I'm a MJ fan. Totally dig it. I actually appreciate that the fig note in it isn't too green. The sweetness of it brings the fig into a more dried fig where they get a bit caramelized instead of fresh off the tree. The combo of the notes does bring a hint of coconut feel to it. A bit linear but when it smells good, why is linear a bad thing? It just continues to smell good.

MC I really love the opening notes and the middle notes. But after a few hours on me the soapiness gets nauseating. Mixed with the other notes it's pleasant and refreshing. After everything else dries off it's not as appealing. If you want something that in that clean fresh vibe and will dry down a little soapy but be more appealing I'd say D&G pour Homme. The tobacco in the base keeps the soapiness from being unnerving.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I highly recommend Mugler Cologne. I highly don't recommend Marc Jacobs for Men.
    +1.

I've compared MJFM and DP back to back and decided to uncharacteristically splurge on the Dyptique. It's just so darn good and the MJ's just doesn't even compare.

My vote is you get the MC. It's solid. The MJ's is a bad version of a good thing. Save for the better one.

PS - empty your inbox so I can PM you!!!
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Thanks for the advice, might start looking at decants in the future.

Thanks guys, very good advice here. The reason why I was highly considering MJ as because it seemed to me as something more interesting as a fragrance. From the Basenotes reviews, MC happened to be described as a very safe, fresh, linear, soapy fragrance, something very pleasant for people who do not like wearing cologne, giving me a hint of its "safe"-ness, generally very well-liked and well accepted by many.

Apparently, many people in this thread and on the forum are giving a thumbs up to MC. I must be missing something here. Although MC is described as a safe scent, the pleasantness and the good reviews given by people here is also making me highly consider both MC and MJ now.

Since I am considering both, $$$$ will thus be an issue. Therefore....with that said...

Decants are also an excellent idea, thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar Azul View Post
    I'd highly recommend another fig fragrance - Fico di Amalfi. It's fig and fresh green, a little sweet but never too sweet. In fact it connects to the skin in a very natural way, almost like it's not a fragrance at all; and it never, never gets too much in the hot days.
    Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi sounds interesting. Thanks, will check out the reviews. Looks really good!