Code of Conduct

Default Defining a person by their ingredients: How true?

I found this article at http://www.fragrancedo.com/info/how-...e-ingredients/

Curious if anyone finds truth in it?

- oriental fragrances
    Perfume ingredients: vanilla, ambergris, tonal bean, nutmeg and black pepper.
    What such fragrance tells about you: Oriental aromas lovers are creative, love solitude and traditions, collect something, have attractive and effective appearance, elegant and well educated. (**True for me- love these notes )

- citrus fragrances
    Fragrance notes: citrus
    What such fragrance tells about you: Those who prefer to use citrus perfumes are well organized and disciplined. They are perfectionists and like to plan everything. (**oops, this isn't a class i like)

- fruit fragrances (not citrus)
    Fragrance notes: currants, raspberries and peach.
    What such fragrance tells about you: Fruit aromas admirers like noisy companies, unpredictable, reliable, can work in team and do jokes. (not the biggest fan, but love the peach in Mitsouko!)

- flower fragrances (white flowers)
    Fragrance notes: lily, freesia, gardenia, jasmine.
    What such fragrance tells about you: If you use the perfume from this group you are easygoing, communicative person, a reliable friend (though you donít have many friends), love various types of decor. (my least liked category. i have nothing on my walls either!!)

- flower fragrances (bunch of flowers)
    Fragrance notes: roses and jasmine
    What such fragrance tells about you: If you use collective flower fragrance you undoubtedly love to decorate everybodyís life, collect something, and you are a cordial host.
    (i like these usually, and yep, i collect things!)

- wood fragrances
    Perfume ingredients: sandal, cedar tree and longwood.
    What such fragrance tells about you: Wood fragrances admirers are elegant, restraint, conservative, well-read, careful. (Yes yes!!!)

- green ďforestĒ fragrances
    Fragrance notes: leaves, grass, moss, hay and early dew.
    What such fragrance tells about you: Such people do sports, gardening and keep fit.(My favorite category, i'm leaving to work out soon too!!!)

- oceanic or sea fragrances
    Fragrance notes: marine algae, river, rain.
    What such fragrance tells about you: these people are afraid of confined space, donít like superfluous adornment, wear modest clothes. (Bleh to this category)

- fresh (air) fragrances
    Fragrance notes: air and mountain atmosphere
    What such fragrance tells about you: Fresh fragrances admirer tries not to get out of line. He lives in a city, but loves to go to the country. He enjoys fashionable novelties.

- culinary fragrances
    Fragrance notes: dates, figs, rice, cheese, coffee, whisky, port and champagne.
    What such fragrance tells about you: Style, class, sex. Such fragrances lovers are brave and unpredictable.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Blog Entries

Default Re: Defining a person by their ingredients: How true?

Interesting! However, I like all of these to some extent. Hmmmmmm...... That means either well-rounded (NOT) or weird. I do see how certain personalities might gravitate toward certain scents, in some general ways. Marketing research might actually back it up to some degree.

Basenotes Institution

I love the first 7 categories - so I am mostly weird - a mish mash of traits I guess... who knows.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I am closest to the last category but I don't prefer culinary scents. Of course there are exceptions.

I find myself quite accurately described by the citrus scent, while the culinary frags are rated as a close second place in terms of personality traits

There are parts of me in citrus (disciplined), white floral (reliable friend but not many friends), woods (elegant, according to my mommy and husband, at least , conservative, well-read (getting there, anyway), greens (I like to keep fit), culinary (all three, especially the part about being a classy broad ).

My favorites, though, are orientals. Hmm....
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 31st July 2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: to add one!

I have to say the oriental,green,citrus and woody fragrances are my favorites,and the descriptions for their personalities are pretty accurate for me.

I'm an oriental/woods girl and seem to match those personality traits too.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

There are 10 categories ,i find the first five more appealing to me and my character,in general
    Last edited by sophi; 31st July 2010 at 07:22 PM.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I love fragrances in all of those categories, even in the category I like least there are fragrances that I love. How on earth do they come up with these attributes? Statistical analysis? I mean, some of them seem obvious. But some seem just randomly assigned. For example, I can see how a city dweller would enjoy fresh air fragrances, and a city dweller would be likely to have an interest in fashion novelties, but how do they know the person who loves fresh air fragrances tries not to get out line? What does that mean? I know this is for entertainment purposes, but I just wonder who comes up with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    ... I know this is for entertainment purposes, but I just wonder who comes up with this stuff.
    I hear ya. Maybe they look at ad copies and pick attributes to 'match' the models and scenery. I dunno. I usually fit right in with the orientals, though, and on this one I'm anything but!

These things have virtually no truth value and should be judged on their entertainment value. I think we did a much better job here at basenotes...
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Nice, PaulSC, very astute observations. ROTFLOL!!!

Basenotes Institution

Pourhomme from the the other thread linked by PaulSC..."Rose/flowery notes - english/ gay/ romantic/ creative/ daring/ risk taker/ loose canon"

Love the Basenotes list- as I am on a huge rose kick, I must be a loose cannon at the moment ,then .... *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

A very entertaining read. In my case- personal characteristics did not match up to my scent preferences at all. Example, I adore green and forest frags but never do sports or work out (never have) & my gardening is all drought tolerant plantings which results in a wild natural garden with no work. Still fun to look at- like the horoscope.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    I
    - oriental fragrances
    Perfume ingredients: vanilla, ambergris, tonal bean, nutmeg and black pepper.
    What such fragrance tells about you: Oriental aromas lovers are creative, love solitude and traditions, collect something, have attractive and effective appearance, elegant and well educated.

- flower fragrances (white flowers)
    Fragrance notes: lily, freesia, gardenia, jasmine.
    What such fragrance tells about you: If you use the perfume from this group you are easygoing, communicative person, a reliable friend (though you don’t have many friends), love various types of decor.

- flower fragrances (bunch of flowers)
    Fragrance notes: roses and jasmine
    What such fragrance tells about you: If you use collective flower fragrance you undoubtedly love to decorate everybody’s life, collect something, and you are a cordial host.
    My favorite categories are florals, florientals, orientals, and slightly more distantly, chypres.

I think of those descriptions, I fit the oriental one best with "loves solitude" and "collects something" ( fragrances! ) Perhaps "creative", though not much these days.

The other descriptions for my favorite category do not fit me at all. My room is positively utilitarian, free from one speck of decoration!

Hillaire

I hate to be pigeon-holed, but loving "bunch-of-flowers" scents and woody chypres sure seems to fit!

I must have a multiple personality disorder
    I like perfumes in every category
    Evenstar

Thanks for the responses :-) It's fun for me to read other's feedback. i think the list could be expanded and taken more seriously, and buttressed by some marketing research, as some suggest. But still fun to read.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org