Code of Conduct

Default Grossmith Classics

I have become enamored of Grossmith's three re-releases and would love other opinions on these classic scents. My personal favorite is Shen el Nessin, possibly the most beautiful rendition of heliotrope and iris that I have encountered.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Default Re: Grossmith Classics

I purchased a sample of these three from Les Senteurs in the UK when they first became available and my girlfriends favourite was also Shem-el-Nessim, not that the other two were bad as all three are top quality perfumes, but the Florentine Iris in this has quality written all over it

Hillaire

I should probably keep my big mouth shut, but I found them pretty 'Gross'.
    Honestly, I don't get these scents (or prices) at all.
    Floor wax, baby powder and camphor were what I picked up on, in differing proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I should probably keep my big mouth shut, but I found them pretty 'Gross'.
    Honestly, I don't get these scents (or prices) at all.
    Floor wax, baby powder and camphor were what I picked up on, in differing proportions.
    This is the beauty of perfumery. Scents are processed uniquely in each individual, and what causes one to swoon with pleasure may cause another to gag in disgust. For instance, despite its popularity, I cannot stand Chanel No. 5, and find little magic in a couple of your top ten, Dia Woman and TDC Osmanthus. Fragrance is powerful, triggering memories are triggered along with their associated emotions.

Viva la difference!

I own Shem-el-Nessim and Hasu-no-Hana and Phul-nana is coming next week I hope. I'm not good at describing fragrances and detecting notes but I think I can smell richness and quality. And I felt very much at home in those fragrances from the start. It's also very interesting for me to get to know something about how fragrances once were. That is also the reason why I ordered a sample of Amouage Gold. In Hasu-no-Hana I think I can smell oak moss and that fragrance works in winter and dry air, a dark fragrance I would say. Perhaps it gets too bold now in summer. Shem-el-Nessim seems to work also in summer. It is softer and sweeter, but not too sweet for me, and it's not dark as Hasu-no-Hana.

Basenotes Institution

The Grossmiths are very interesting and I am happy an old house has been revived. I will test these as I have been planning to for a long time.
    Merbert- where can one buy full bottles in the US?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Merbert- where can one buy full bottles in the US?[/QUOTE]

Mimi Gardenia, the Grossmith's fragrances are not available in the US yet. I have been corresponding with Sophie, one of their lovely staff, and she asked me for a few recommendations on the West Coast to approach in this regard. I suggested as one Parfumerie Nasreen in Seattle. I'll update any developments.

Basenotes Institution

Merbert- many thanks ! I heard good things about Parfumerie Nasreen - also Parfums Raffy might be a good one. http://www.parfumsraffy.com/

Blog Entries

I have tested these also. I found them a little over-bearing for me. I should give them another go round. It's possible I didn't leave them on long enough to dri-down. Do they mellow for you?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have tested these also. I found them a little over-bearing for me. I should give them another go round. It's possible I didn't leave them on long enough to dri-down. Do they mellow for you?
    Kumquat- do you mean you find them very strong ?

I am intrigued by this history of Grossmith and would like to try their scents, esp. since they claim to have been founded in England in the 1830s when a "certain someone" was much in fashionable evidence there. Are they truly an old perfume house with a *real* pedigree?

Thank you for the updates and input, Mimi, Kumquat and Merbert.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Kumquat, from the initial application, they create beautiful phrases over the next few hours. At no point do I find them harsh or over-bearing.

Sorry for the repost...

Sorry for brenging this thread back.
    I am enthusiased about Shem el Nassim at the moment.
    So it was Florintine Iriss! No wonder why I love
    Xerjoff ibitira as well