Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Bought Kouros yesterday: Opinions.

I have grown to enjoy kouros very much and wear it fairly regularly but it is not what I would call a safe fragrance to wear or one that works on everyone. I don't really get an animalic civet feel from it or pee or poo or whatever. There is the fresh top that some interpret as the 'urinal cake accord' and then something warm lurking underneath mingling with a slight honeyed sweetness but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly else is going on there. I'm a bit worried that those around me think I smell like a stinkpot but just try to wear it confidently because I like it.

And longevity is pretty amazing. I wore two sprays earlier this week and it was still going strong 14 hours later.
    She gets a special cologne. It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther so you know it's good.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Oldspice View Post
    I have grown to enjoy kouros very much and wear it fairly regularly but it is not what I would call a safe fragrance to wear or one that works on everyone. I don't really get an animalic civet feel from it or pee or poo or whatever. There is the fresh top that some interpret as the 'urinal cake accord' and then something warm lurking underneath mingling with a slight honeyed sweetness but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly else is going on there. I'm a bit worried that those around me think I smell like a stinkpot but just try to wear it confidently because I like it.

And longevity is pretty amazing. I wore two sprays earlier this week and it was still going strong 14 hours later.
    It is my favorite cologne by far and I have tried quite a few of the more popular scents on here. Always remember to never give Kouros more than one spray on your chest. If you do that, you will be universally loved

Blog Entries

There arent many fragrances i flat out HATE, but Kouros is on that list. I smelled it totally ignorant of reviews and it was a urinal cake bomb. Looked it up and sure enough, alot of people said the same. Gives me a nauseated headache, cant stand that stuff

Never has there been a cologne that divided sides quite like this one. I just hope they keep making this fantastic juice. It's almost magical on a hot summer night.

My opinion is that you did a wonderful thing.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Quercus by Penhaligon's

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    There arent many fragrances i flat out HATE, but Kouros is on that list. I smelled it totally ignorant of reviews and it was a urinal cake bomb. Looked it up and sure enough, alot of people said the same. Gives me a nauseated headache, cant stand that stuff
    Now Nuerosis, you say you "smelled" it. So that sounds like a quick spray in a store. Or did you truly get a sample and wear it?

I will admit it. I'm a secret lover of Kouros as well. The civet just turns creamy on me after thirty minutes.

My wife though, absolutely hates it. A friend of mine keeps a bottle in his restroom. So one day while visiting I sprayed some on my wrist with the permission of my friend to test it on my wife. My wife's hazel eyes just widened and her nose wrinkled.

"Good God, that smells like worn panties. Do /not/ wear that unless you want me to think you've been cheating on me. Blegh!"

Maybe I should wear it on our anniversary?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    I will admit it. I'm a secret lover of Kouros as well. The civet just turns creamy on me after thirty minutes.

My wife though, absolutely hates it. A friend of mine keeps a bottle in his restroom. So one day while visiting I sprayed some on my wrist with the permission of my friend to test it on my wife. My wife's hazel eyes just widened and her nose wrinkled.

"Good God, that smells like worn panties. Do /not/ wear that unless you want me to think you've been cheating on me. Blegh!"

I'm thinking no.

It is am amusing scent to discuss for sure. I am clear that many people have tried to hang in with it and can't.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm thinking no.

It is am amusing scent to discuss for sure. I am clear that many people have tried to hang in with it and can't.
    It is strange. My wife actually likes Mouchoir de Monsieur. But one day as we were sitting on the couch she did mention, "You know, it does kind of have a turd note to it. Hm." I guess you can't please everybody.

One fragrance that she likes and I just can't wear is Habit Rouge. It gives me a headache to high heaven. Which is strange because my wife's signature is Shalimar. And I can sniff that until the end of time.

She also hates Paco Rabanne pour homme, which to me has many similarities to Kouros sans civet. She says it smells raunchy. To me, it smells like irish spring soap.

I wonder if there is something in it that maybe putting her off.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post

heh, give it a try for your anniversary

Kouros smells like a very, very cheap after shave you can buy at the supermarket. Reminds me of something Gillette could have made..

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Always remember to never give Kouros more than one spray on your chest. If you do that, you will be universally loved
    This is the key to liking Kouros!

I hate to be critical, but I point this out every time this topic comes up.

Kouros CANNOT smell simultaneously like a urinal cake AND pee pee smell.

The two are mutually exclusive.
    People do not put urinal cakes in urinals to make the urinals smell of urine. They're put them there for the exact opposite reason.

I didn't like Kouros much when I first used it - but it was the middle of winter. When I wore it in the middle of summer, it was a totally different story.
    Regards,
    Renato

Welcome to the K-Club! I too have the same experience - initially hated it then bought it on a whim and have grown to love it. In fact, I posted my experience in this thread. Enjoy!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/234...aking+the+piss
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

Welcome to the winning team.
    John aka Easykiller
    Currently wearing: Incense Rosé by Tauer

Blog Entries

Maybe I should wear it on our anniversary?[/QUOTE]
    John aka Easykiller
    Currently wearing: Incense Rosé by Tauer

I wear it behind my knees and on my feet when I wear shorts and sandals out on weekends...the heat does wonder to this fragrance and the reason i put it low on my body is that it will travel i.e. on me its a sillage monster...putting it on my feet and knees makes it waft up less potent than if it was on my chest or arms...i find some colognes are like that, they smell too strong right up close, but from far away smell great...i really dig kouros and kouros cologne sport, but like certain wines, it may be an acquired taste because i certainly did not like it the first time i tried it.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I hate to be critical, but I point this out every time this topic comes up.

Kouros CANNOT smell simultaneously like a urinal cake AND pee pee smell.

The two are mutually exclusive.
    People do not put urinal cakes in urinals to make the urinals smell of urine. They're put them there for the exact opposite reason.

I didn't like Kouros much when I first used it - but it was the middle of winter. When I wore it in the middle of summer, it was a totally different story.
    Regards,
    Renato
    haha, love it, but i respectfully disagree...i travel on the road alot and use gas station bathrooms...sometimes the stench of urine is overpowering, but you get wafts of urinal cakes trying to combat the urinal smell...so you have both at the same time but i dont get urinal cake with this frag, but i see how the honey makes it smell of urine...also i occasionally get a fecal note with this one?
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I'm not getting near the sillage/longevity that this thing has in its mythical legends. I really have grown to like it, but suprisingly I can't get kouros to last on me. Amen's legendry sillage/longeviiy....on other other hand... is a different story.

Kouros is actually one of the first fragrances I wore in my teenage years.
    I'm talking about a 15 year old wearing kouros.
    I remember owning all the natuica, calvin klien etc fragrances, but I would always sneak into my dads cupboard and spray some Kouros like a guilty little pleasure, and run!
    It was just so darn unique and bold.
    I could not resist
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

"[/QUOTE].... if you get the dose right, you'll stand out in a good way. (See Jitterbug's post above). There is always the possibility that the alpha males in your peer group will poke at you about it.... It won't necessarily be universally loved by women either. But the ones that like it will really like it.

I don't mean to be "profiling" you, but the guys your age I run into headed for the clubs here in Los Angeles tend to be very trigger happy with their scents. Not saying they shouldn't or judging them. If I were 23 here, I'm sure I'd be doused in Le Male or A*Men headed for the Sunset Strip too. But Kouros will get really, really loud and obnoxious if you hit it real hard.

To me, Kouros is a classic and more "unique" than it is "dated."[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more!!! It's one of those fragrances that "stands out" BECAUSE it takes risks; and when heated up, either with the sun or the right body chemistry, it's magic.
    I will admit that I've always been the kind of woman who doesn't "follow the crowd", which is why, when I met my college boyfriend and he was wearing it, he stood out. It was different, it was dangerous, it was totally unique.
    Last edited by Jitterbug Perfume Lover; 16th August 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: incorrect quote

fountain

[QUOTE=Texican;1898585]I will admit it. I'm a secret lover of Kouros as well. The civet just turns creamy on me after thirty minutes.

i think you mean kouros, not body kouros, right? i love both, by the way..........

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    I was poised for a reaction equivalent to Shirlee Temple witnessing a meth'd out biker gang fight in a pit of rusty syringes and broken glass

that honestly might be the greatest analogy i've ever heard.

Guys I'm loving the Kouros personally. Its a nice warm comforting scent. The animal warmth is relaxing for me and the composition is so well balanced and crafted that I have come to deeply appreciate it.

However, I'm disappointed and dismayed by its legendary sillage and logevity on me. After several months of experience with it now I have yet to get a single compliment or even comment after HEAVY (7-8 spray wearings in 80-95 degree weather) wearings. I have even asked if I have worn too much cologne during these civet exhibitions and was responded with puzzled faces remarking "you wore cologne tonight?" To be fair, some of these people were drenched in some sort of Paris Hilton and may not have noticed do to scent masking or olfactory fatigue, but it was a little upsetting.

Not to say that I don't enjoy this scent. I love it. However, I can't believe that something with such a monumental sillage/longevity resume isn't projecting on me (to my knowledge).

Considering that even one spray of the "light" Kouros ( Fraicheur ) has people around me commenting, you've got me curious about what's happening on your skin, for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Considering that even one spray of the "light" Kouros ( Fraicheur ) has people around me commenting, you've got me curious about what's happening on your skin, for sure...
    I know....right?

Why don't you spray it on your friend, co-worker, or someone close and smell it off the person later during the day. I'm planning to try this with my Body Kouros and GIT as I'm not sure anymore if it's my skin or the frag that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    After several months of experience with it now I have yet to get a single compliment or even comment after HEAVY (7-8 spray wearings in 80-95 degree weather) wearings.
    Holy cow! Is it possible to wear 7-8 sprays of Kouros and live? Whenever I've tried to wear Kouros it always wears me. Earlier this week I had a business meeting with a multi-millionaire entrepreneur. I wore Bois du Portugal. He wore Kouros.
    Currently wearing: 1903 by J Peterman

I'm on the verge... Kouros is haunting me lately... i figure i'll get it someday, the problem is that it doesn't get mucho love among the people spend my time. I usually don't care if a frag is loved by everyone or not, in fact, I love all those "love or hate" colognes. The problem is that almost everyone over here say is a too strong/outdated/what is that? fragance. I like its smell. Ok, i reckon it's not what you smell nowadays... Habit Rouge neither is anyway. I feel it on my skin similar to Antaeus but stronger. And lasts more than anything i've used before, even A*Men.

Great fragance... but i don't know if i'm charismatic enough to give it a proper use!