Code of Conduct

Default Opium pour Homme safe for high school

would this be OK to wear in high school during winter or will it be a turn off to the girls?

Default Re: Opium pour Homme safe for high school

huh, I think you're going to get a range of responses on this one. If you have to ask, clearly you already know there are divided opinions...

my personal take on Opium PH is that it's more "mature" then highschool. I think it's a good 25+ scent. I don't buy the "anything for anyone" argument. And more to the other direction, I just also think there are so many out there to use that are better for someone in your situation.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    huh, I think you're going to get a range of responses on this one. If you have to ask, clearly you already know there are divided opinions...

my personal take on Opium PH is that it's more "mature" then highschool. I think it's a good 25+ scent. I don't buy the "anything for anyone" argument. And more to the other direction, I just also think there are so many out there to use that are better for someone in your situation.
    what would you recommend along the same line as OpH?

L'Homme by YSL, Armani Code Pour Hommme!!! I would sample before I made any purchases.....Opium is a very mature fragrance.....You might be ready for this but Your friends at school will probably not like this at all.....Gary

not ok. but if you have a sample. TRY and then decide for yourself

check out the YouTube reviewers like MRobes, MrFabino1 and TSWetcoff and a few others. Many of their reviews are for the younger sort of crowd and often inexpensive too.

There are a lot lot lot of options and TBH I don't even know which ones to recommend for your situation, but I know others can, plus with even just a little digging you can find options.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I'm wearing OpH right now and I think that its more of an evening, semi-formal fragrance. The only way I see this complimenting a high schooler is if he has a very traditional/formal sense of style. If you're thinking about jeans, and a buttoned down, you may still be too casual to really pull this off right. I love Opium, but it requires the right presentation/environment. An appropriate alternative would be an oriental like Gucci Envy, Body Kouros, or even either of the first two Varvatos fragrances. These are more modern and can be more easily dressed down. In general, orientals tend to be for the more formal occasions (at least that's when I find them most practical).

It's fine if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleNerd View Post
    what would you recommend along the same line as OpH?
    Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    L'Homme by YSL...
    This.

Is it your 20 year reunion?

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Is it your 20 year reunion?
    freshmen

would this be OK to wear in high school during winter or will it be a turn off to the girls?
    I think it's pretty cool that a high school student would even consider wearing Opium PH, let alone actually wearing it at school. I say go for it. It's a great scent, it's unique, and you'll definitely stand out with the girls I think, and in a good way. Nothing wrong with letting the world know you've got good taste.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

DeepSilence

I don't see any problem. Wear It!
    It's the best time for wearing it. Else you want to wait at least for next year. Not to be patient in this case.

Wear it. Just don't overapply. Opium is not a wimpy scent like many other frags aimed at high schooler's ( and the like). It's nice for winter. Although me personally, I prefer other scents for the cold weather months.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

eh. its risky my friend. Im a freshman in college and i feel its still a little risky for me. if u do decide to wear it, id do one spray to the kneck and ONLY one spray on the kneck and your done.

If you want a sexy fragrance thats good for this time that will work great in high school with the ladies, Go with Armani Code. Extremely safe for your age

Opium for men isn't nearly the powerhouse that the original Opium was, I think you should be fine wearing it. As for overpowering your classmates, I wouldn't worry about it. My highschool experience of 10 years ago had me bathing myself in ADG or Curve between classes, just like every other male at school. Every school was different so the hot scent might have been Cool Water, CK One, or Drakkar, but it was all the same: every guy was drenched in it.

Yes!!!

im in highschool and wear it! people tend to like it haha so i say go for it

Sur la Plage

Wear whatever YOU want to wear.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I am 29 and I still feel too young to wear it... Also, once I wore opium PH to work and my 26 male colleague that never commented any of my scents asked me: "Did you cook here something?"
    Also when I wore it there was like 3x more bees in our office (we had opened windows) than any other time before or after.

To make it short: NO
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Yes. If you think it smells good, then wear it for heavens sake.

If you like it go for it!
    I have been complimented on Opium PH by an 18 year old girl so you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
    is it your 20 year reunion?
    roflmao

Opium pour Homme is as safe for high school as a lead lifesaver for an overboard man

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    Opium pour Homme is as safe for high school as a lead lifesaver for an overboard man
    can you support your reasoning?

In Favour: 11
    Not In Favour: 7

guess i'll buy it over la nuit, since la nuit is just so freaking boring

Blog Entries

NOO! Stay far, far away from OPIUM PH!!

Opium Pour Homme is my worst enemy.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I have never worn it during highschool but I considered wearing it back then for evening/wintertime/formal occasions

I'm a member of BMAO (Basenotes Members Against Opium). Considering that you'd like to attract YOUNG, PRETTY women, you should join.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Red View Post
    I'm a member of BMAO (Basenotes Members Against Opium). Considering that you'd like to attract YOUNG, PRETTY women, you should join.
    normally i'd take you seriously if you had more than 3 posts ;P

normally i'd take you seriously if you had more than 3 posts ;P
    hes KINDA right tho bro. I cant see Opium being a bit hit in high school. Sure bsenoters will tell u stuff like "where it if you like it and itll be great!" it doesnt always work like that man.

Last edited by Descartes; 29th January 2012 at 02:29 PM.

You could try it, but for any age it's more of night time scent to me. Watch the dose...

Opium is as safe to high schol as having unprotected sex with someone who is HIV positive.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Opium is as safe to high schol as having unprotected sex with someone who is HIV positive.
    That is a pretty dumb comment to make.

And just because YOU at your old age ( which 29 years old is to me) can't pull it off, doesn't mean someone younger in HS cannot.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    That is a pretty dumb comment to make.

And just because YOU at your old age ( which 29 years old is to me) can't pull it off, doesn't mean someone younger in HS cannot.
    We dont have same education system here but according to WIKI high school in USA is "upper secondary school which educates children from grade nine through grade twelve,[5] in other words, from the age of 14 or 15 to 17 or 18"

Seriously I dont think that Opium is suited for non adult people, also it will be pretty anyoing in closed space like class room. Its too strong for that. He may pull it off but will probably look like he "is trying too hard".

Anyway I dont say that my opinion is only one that is right. Just my 2 cents.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Seriously I dont think that Opium is suited for non adult people, also it will be pretty anyoing in closed space like class room. Its too strong for that. He may pull it off but will probably look like he "is trying too hard".
    one spray under two shirts usually limits the projection pretty well

one spray under two shirts usually limits the projection pretty well
    It may work like that. I think you made your decision already. Good luck then If it doesnt work you can always buy Rochas Man instead (just idea)
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

It may work like that. I think you made your decision already. Good luck then If it doesnt work you can always buy Rochas Man instead (just idea)
    I already own a 50ml bottle of RM and used about 8ml :P

the chicks LOVE it

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    hes KINDA right tho bro. I cant see Opium being a bit hit in high school. Sure bsenoters will tell u stuff like "where it if you like it and itll be great!" it doesnt always work like that man.
    So true....I've been a Basenotes lurker for quite some time. When I discovered Basenotes, I went out and bought some Basenotes approved fragrances (Egoiste, Guerlain Vetiver, Jaipur) while looking down on friends who wore Basenotes unapproved fragrances (Unforgivable, Paris Hilton, Luck and Love, Light Blue). Women would would tell me I smelled old or weird. My friends were told they smelled good. At first I was in an angry, arrogant state of denial. But I eventually realized that fragrances are like music/art/food: some things are GENERALLY (there are always outliers) more appealing to certain demographics. It doesn't that mean they're bad...just different in who they appeal to. In MY experiences, powerhouses like Opium don't appeal to younger, attractive women.

So true....I've been a Basenotes lurker for quite some time. When I discovered Basenotes, I went out and bought some Basenotes approved fragrances (Egoiste, Guerlain Vetiver, Jaipur) while looking down on friends who wore Basenotes unapproved fragrances (Unforgivable, Paris Hilton, Luck and Love, Light Blue)....
    Basenotes approved fragrances ? Oh please. There are just as many guys who dislike those 3 scents, than who like them. Are you telling me that you bought fragrances when you did not even like them ? Then that is your fault. Just buy what you like.

Many guys on here try to learn more and more about fragrance. That is why they move on to more challenging scents. And better yet, their taste because more open and wider. That is the point of a fragrance enthusiast website.

Some people just like to fall into stereotypes. Wear whatever fragrance their school peers wear. Listen to the same music. Watch the same films. Talk the same way. As if being an individual will automatically make you an outcast. That is kind of pathetic. Of course if someone liked Ed Hardy scents or Armani Code, that is cool with me. But if you are gonna make the effort of taking the time to use Basenotes, why not open your minds a bit. I personally own many fragrances that I suppose a highschooler can wear : La Nuit de L'Homme, Burberry Brit...etc. But I like some variation in my collection.

I should say, most BNers do open up their minds. This is a site full of good solid people. I can't stress that enough. But once in a while, like a mob of frat boys, some basenoters like to kick the notion that trying out fragrances that are somewhat unpopular for their age will not help them ( in their fragrance interest). You will be outcasted ( what does that say about your "friends"). Girls will run away ( god forbid you should have a good personality, good hygiene, and other things). And democratic governments in the west will fail.

Try out many fragrances. Seek out something that makes you totally excited. Have a varied collection. Or don't. Maybe you just need 2 or 3. It doesn't matter. Just enjoy the fragrance education and stop falling into peer pressure.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Basenotes approved fragrances ? Oh please. There are just as many guys who dislike those 3 scents, than who like them. Are you telling me that you bought fragrances when you did not even like them ? Then that is your fault. Just buy what you like.

Many guys on here try to learn more and more about fragrance. That is why they move on to more challenging scents. And better yet, their taste because more open and wider. That is the point of a fragrance enthusiast website.

Some people just like to fall into stereotypes. Wear whatever fragrance their school peers wear. Listen to the same music. Watch the same films. Talk the same way. As if being an individual will automatically make you an outcast. That is kind of pathetic. Of course if someone liked Ed Hardy scents or Armani Code, that is cool with me. But if you are gonna make the effort of taking the time to use Basenotes, why not open your minds a bit. I personally own many fragrances that I suppose a highschooler can wear : La Nuit de L'Homme, Burberry Brit...etc. But I like some variation in my collection.

I should say, most BNers do open up their minds. This is a site full of good solid people. I can't stress that enough. But once in a while, like a mob of frat boys, some basenoters like to kick the notion that trying out fragrances that are somewhat unpopular for their age will not help them ( in their fragrance interest). You will be outcasted ( what does that say about your "friends"). Girls will run away ( god forbid you should have a good personality, good hygiene, and other things). And democratic governments in the west will fail.

Try out many fragrances. Seek out something that makes you totally excited. Have a varied collection. Or don't. Maybe you just need 2 or 3. It doesn't matter. Just enjoy the fragrance education and stop falling into peer pressure.

There are other threads similar to this....and people who argue about this topic seem to be extremely partisan in their views....so it's futile arguing about this. But I'll just say one more thing and I'm done. Look at the original question: does Opium appeal to YOUNG GIRLS? Obviously the young man cares what his targeted demographic, young women, thinks. And in MY opinion based on MY experience, Opium is simply too much for most young people to understand. Screw that whole personal taste/individuality argument. When you're trying to appeal to certain demographics, you wear/listen/talk about things to try appeal to that target group. I love Frank Sinatra/Ella Fitzgerald/Bach but I wouldn't play their music if I were trying to appeal to people in my demographic. My dad is a very well dressed man....but I wouldn't wear his clothes if I were trying to appeal to people in my demographic. With those two examples in mind, why would I wear a mature person's fragrance if I was trying to appeal to young people? If you're wearing a fragrance solely for yourself, go ahead! You're more than welcome to express your sophisticated tastes. But if you do care (like the young man) what your peers think, wear something that your targeted demographic can understand. Is it right? Nope. Is it fair? Nope. But it is what is it man.

Sur la Plage

In Favour: 11
    Not In Favour: 7

guess i'll buy it over la nuit, since la nuit is just so freaking boring
    That is a very true statement and a very wise decision.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Try Opium Eau d'Orient, retains the best parts of original at about 1/2 the strength, nobody in your HS will smell like this...

.... I love Frank Sinatra/Ella Fitzgerald/Bach but I wouldn't play their music if I were trying to appeal to people in my demographic....
    How can any demographic not like Ella Fitzgerald ?! I know some teens, 20 year olds, 30 year olds....all who like Sinatra, Ella, Billie...etc. Only the Nickelback crowd doesn't like that music

Back on topic, I'll agree with you on many points for sure, as yes, this topic has been discussed and those that argue are partisan for sure.

If the original poster wants to just please girls, then Opium PH is something to pass on I suppose. Is the original Q regarding appealing just to girls ? If it is, then here are my rec's :

Givenchy Play Intense
    Burberry Brit

Something else not called Opium pour Homme

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
    Try Opium Eau d'Orient, retains the best parts of original at about 1/2 the strength, nobody in your HS will smell like this...
    Ding Ding Ding!!!!

Honest true helpful answer, with none of the bullshit. Wow, Finally!

Opium Pour Homme Eau D'Orient is where it's at.

Frank Sinatra is my idol and favorite musician. I am 18 years old and i PROUDLY play his music while driving with the windows down.

I wore Opium pour Homme when I was 17-18 in high school perfectly well.

Like many others i wore this in school along with Gucci envy when i was around 14 till whenever the bottle finished; i got compliments and i was not easy with the trigger would go on everything including clothes lol

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    Frank Sinatra is my idol and favorite musician. I am 18 years old and i PROUDLY play his music while driving with the windows down.
    Wrong Thread?

--

Im thinking in bought Opium Pour Homme and Pour Femme to me. In my next purchase i will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Im thinking in bought Opium Pour Homme and Pour Femme to me. In my next purchase i will do it.
    Thats the way to do it Daniel!

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    Thats the way to do it Daniel!
    FK Yeah, and 90% of the guilty if from you good sir!
    With your posts at the SotD talking about how heavenly is this one.

I'm glad to hear that! If I had to cut down my collection to only two fragrances the remainders would be pour Homme and pour Femme. Heaven in a bottle.