Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Paco Rabanne 1 Million: Final Verdict

Top: Peppermint, Blood Mandarin
    Middle: Cinnamon, Rose Absolute
    Base: Amberketal, Leather Accord

The reason im making this post is I find this fragrance to be misunderstood (atleast this is to my nose). I finally bought it a week ago, and tried it for 3 days straight, enough to get a decent grasp on the overall fragrance.

A common description is "extremely sweet, cloying, feminine, unisex".

To my nose, its actually none of the above! The first time i wore it, i got the sweet opening, but it immediately had a nearly repulsive bitter-ish note. It took me a second to realize i was smelling couch leather It stayed the entire time that wearing. My last 2 wearings had all that, but i picked up on the patchouli those times. I find the peppermint non-existant thus far, and the middle notes just merge as a gourmand feel to me (not a bad thing considering im a huge gourmand fan )

Overall it reminds me of John Varvatos pretty closely, however i find the leather to be more prominent and less blended in 1 Million (i can barely notice it in Varvatos due to the blending). The main differences i notice are vanilla in Varvatos (big plus to me), the patchouli of 1 Mil, and the overall longevity/ versatility. I find 1 Million much more wearable and longer lasting in terms of sillage, in fact I think its wearable all year, while Varvatos i find to be a colder weather, formal fragrance (suit and tie/tux event). Now back to 1 Million only...

What i immediately smell in 1 Million is...well, everything! The opening i find to be everything slammed into a sledgehammer, however the hammer has a point of the blood mandarin, and the rose/cinnamon combo (more so the mandarin however). The leather is a bit subdued in the top after you wear it more than once. The middle gives me basically just a strange gourmand, its kind of floral and spicey at once, but neither one or the other, somewhere in the middle of the two. The base has the middle notes remain throughout, but a patchouli note takes prominence for awhile (about 70/30) then the middle and patchouli fuse 50/50 until the fragrance burns out.

Now for the issue of unisex, feminine, and "fruity" smelling. It might be just me, but i find this very masculine, not feminine at all, and unisex is a damn far stretch. Perhaps its because i find it similar to Varvatos, a very masculine, mature fragrance to me. I have trouble finding fruit notes per say, aside from the mandarin, and even that is blended to the point where its not like "WOAAAAH WHO'S EATING A MANDARIN!?" (although i wish it was, thatd be a better opening imo).

I'm glad i live in the US as its very unique here, and it sure as hell smells good so its a win-win for me

The verdict: Masculine, with a sweet opening headed by mandarin, leather appears in the top and slowly increases in strength throughout, has a gourmandish middle, and a patchouli/gourmand base. It's not feminine by any means, hard to say unisex. It's extremely versatile, you could wear it all year, depending on spray number. Could easily be a signature fragrance (i'm assuming thats why its the #1 seller in Europe!).

Default Re: Paco Rabanne 1 Million: Final Verdict

I haven't seen it anyplace in the U.S. Who's selling it? I'd be interested in sampling it though I must say I find the bottle super tacky.

Blog Entries

You have to get it online in the US...for now; I used Amazon. Sephora will have it in September though. I bought it online cause i was going to wait, but i'd just end up spending more for it from Sephora, plus im extremely impatient

Funny, you must have received yours pretty much the same day i got mine!

I really love this scent too, it's already one of my favourites. The first time i wore it to work a girl there was asking what i was wearing, said it smelt 'lush'! She followed me for a while too ^_^

Nice review also, although to me i do find it a bit feminine, but i can deal with that as it smells so good.

EDIT: Im interested to see how you rate it in your wardrobe....!

After Black XS I won't be blind buying frags like this any more! Rochas Man is also way too strong for me (as is A*Men). However, I do enjoy Jacomo for Men ("Silver"). I don't think it's related to notions about "feminine" frags. For example, I enjoy Kenzo Amour EdP and others, but rather about developing a sensitivity. I can't stand strong cedar notes these days, whereas about a year ago lavender nauseated me. I've got my rotation going nicely now, and I don't see any reason to take a chance with a new frag unless there is something quite unique about it. Otherwise, I risk having to put aside a bunch of frags for months, and hope that I will be able to enjoy them again. The frags I have with strong cedar have just been sitting there for months !

"extremely sweet, cloying, feminine", spot on! Or "weird bubblegum opening turning into patchouilli overloaded base"

Last edited by Descartes; 29th January 2012 at 03:01 PM.

I haven't tried this one, but I get the impression that it is like candy. Does this stuff have the same vibe as Calvin Klein's
    Crave or Curve Kicks?

Sur la Plage

My verdict: Quite dreadful
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    LOL. Couldn't agree more.

Point Blank

In the case of 1 million the marketing has ruined it for me. It seems to be targeting poor teens who want to act bling. So, in all honesty, I never really gave the fragrance a chance, nor do I intend to.

A fine scent.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree.

Duplicate.

If you can get past the tacky bottle and cheesy advertising... the stuff's interesting. I bet if it was in some weird old bottle in a beat up box with dust in the corner, you'd all buy it up thinking you'd found some really unusual treasure.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    If you can get past the tacky bottle and cheesy advertising... the stuff's interesting. I bet if it was in some weird old bottle in a beat up box with dust in the corner, you'd all buy it up thinking you'd found some really unusual treasure.
    I bought it about 6 months ago at a kiosk here in Memphis blind. Gave it a full wearing and threw it in my trash (seriously). A bottle of some other kind, or dust couldn't help this one. It is loud, abrasive,and smells like something kids would wear that pick wallets on the streets of Paris.

Point Blank

Not impossible I readily admit that I'm superficial in this regard - the packaging matters to me. In the case of 1 million, it's even a dealbreaker. However, I personally dislike rose, so I find it doubtful that I'd like 1 million.

Blog Entries

Doh! forgot the whole "bubblegum" vibe people get...i don't really see this? Maybe i chew weird bubblegum but i do NOT see this as smelling like bubble gum.

I'm still somewhat amused by the amount of people who hate it simply because of its ads. I think i once again have the advantage of living in the US as the only ads ive seen for it are on Paco Rabanne's website, or a few other sites when i was researching the fragrance. Yeah the ad is more or less appealing to the whole "this fragrance gets you laid, rich, and famous" group of people, but in the end fragrances are a business too, and the one with the flashy ads is going to sell more. I just try to focus on the actual smell.

As for the bottle being "tacky"? I actually really like it! I'm not big into bottle collecting, but a gold block in the middle of my wardrobe looks pretty cool. That's a minor issue i have with many companies like Polo, all their bottles look the same, so i give Rabanne credit for making a unique bottle.

I'm not going to rate it just yet, as i like to give atleast a month of wearing/sampling so i've got a pretty strong grip on the fragrance

I had 1 Million also at my List and did compare it with Azzaro Elixir (another fragrance from Michel Girard).

Did like the Fresh-Cherry smell of Elixir more but 1 Million is also an good Frag in the same Kategory, and could be better for younger people (Favorized here in Germany from them).

I am curious about your comparison of Elixir and 1 Million ?
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

this stuff works great for a club or party but i wouldnt wear it anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Not impossible I readily admit that I'm superficial in this regard - the packaging matters to me. In the case of 1 million, it's even a dealbreaker. However, I personally dislike rose, so I find it doubtful that I'd like 1 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I bought it about 6 months ago at a kiosk here in Memphis blind. Gave it a full wearing and threw it in my trash (seriously). A bottle of some other kind, or dust couldn't help this one. It is loud, abrasive,and smells like something kids would wear that pick wallets on the streets of Paris.
    Herm... maybe I'll have to go retest this one. I remembered liking it, or at least thinking it was interesting (if a little young and clubby).

I think if you stick to night time and places where there's sensory overload (ie clubs), it's good. Refined, gentleman, subtle... not words to describe this frag, but it does have it's place.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Couch leather? That is sooo weird to get from 1 Million.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Bought this last week and it will be arriving tomorrow, can't wait to try it.

I hope more people dislike it so it doesn't become the next Le Male ^_^

Or if the juice was in a Kid's Candy bottle, nobody would touch it.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

How many sprays and where with 1 Million?

Definitely a go-to for going out especially clubbing.
    Lasts forever so go easy on the application
    I receive plenty of compliments with this one, even my mum likes its

Cinnamon? Couch leather? Patchouli? Not fair! All I get is a bowl of Skittles with a lemon wedge and a dusting of talc. That won't wash off. Masculine...sure. I mean, if men can wear makeup these days...

I actually like the bottle and advertising; it's tacky in a clever way. But the fragrance itself isn't clever at all.

fountain

my opinion: 1/5 stars

I gotta admit, this is a lot more palatable to me since giving it a full wearing last night. I'm not sure if I'll end up buying a bottle, but this is significantly less vile that I originally thought...

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I gotta admit, this is a lot more palatable to me since giving it a full wearing last night. I'm not sure if I'll end up buying a bottle, but this is significantly less vile that I originally thought...
    I could be wrong, but I think some of the negative opinions of this scent are based off of the top notes only.

I guess I have bad taste, but I don't think 1 Million is all that bad. I bought it in Europe last year (we don't have it here in the States) and think it's rather good. Not my favorite by a long shot, but not worth all the vitriol that I read about it. But then again, I like Chanel Bleu, and Guerlain Homme, so my opinion won't account for much with many people I'm sure!