Code of Conduct

Default Let's get freudian: associations established from wearing scents

It happened to me wearing JPG's Le Male, it made me think of M. de Balibarri, a fictional character in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon: a fashion conscious man from the XVIII century.

- On the other hand,trying Bulgari Black made me think of funerals
    - Habit Rouge makes me think of a gentleman farmer or a formal. conservative aristocrat established in the countryside
    - Chanel pour Monsieur makes me think of a formal dinner among relatives
    - Kouros makes me think of an 1980's clubber, gold chains and a hairy chest
    - Rochas Lui makes me think of a fashion conscious youngster from the early 2000's

Basically, wearing scents generates on me strong associations based on the character of the blend. Am I ga-ga, crazy, or what?
    Last edited by Pollux; 1st August 2010 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: Let's get freudian: associations established from wearing scents

Ralph Lauren Safari - I can imagine myself in the hottest driest desert out there, with aviators
    Lolita Lempicka -A bold, fun-loving individual who wants to make a statement, sensual
    Rochas Man - I can imagine myself as a giant walking mocha flavoured cotton candy
    Diptyque Philosykos - A giant walking fig
    Diptyque Oyedo - Exploring my childish side, munching on minty fruity loops
    YSL La Nui De L'Homme - Black tie, film noir, 007
    Bvlgari Black - Biker with leather jacket

It's often that certain smells recall specific situations because they were actually there at that moment but you never consciously knew it. Yet the brain has stored them somewhere. (Maybe that's one of the reasons for generally calling most of the classics "old man fragrances" - just because our fathers and uncles wore them?)

Then there's for sure the genetic memory and the archetypal emotions/reactions that certain smells cause.

When i think about it, I really have hard time separating personal experience from "pure" associations (if there is such thing) - mainly because most of the time normally our olfactory experience has been collected subconsciously. That's why it strikes you so powerful when it comes : unexplainable, out of reasonable arguments.

Music often works the same way. I often think of comparing these two.

Chanel Antaeus always makes me think of Ron Jeremy.

Gucci Envy reminds me of an uncle who used to always wear his shirts with the top 3-4 buttons unbuttoned and and gold chain necklaces, though I don't specifically remember him wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
    I like Antaeus and now I have to have that image in my head....

Ron Jeremy

chanel antaeus always makes me think of ron jeremy...
    lmao...

This deserves to be a signature. And NOW, after nearly 3 years on BN, I must finally sample Antaeus.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense