Code of Conduct

Default Which version of Givenchy Gentleman?

I have enjoyed the current formulation of Givenchy Gentleman, but find it to have relatively short longevity and lacking a certain intensity - on me it promises much, but comes up short in delivery.
    I have read that the "old" formulation was much deeper and intense and, accordingly, long to acquire it. I have the opportunity to acquire the attached bottle, which I think is the older version, but, having read through other threads on the matter, I'm not certain. Can anyone assist in determining if this is indeed the older version?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which version of Givenchy Gentleman?

The bottle is certainly a tester of the older/original version.

All the best.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Yes, the bottle in the photo is the vintage version.

I am familiar only with the vintage version, but I can summarize the differences based on what I have read here on Basenotes.

There is a difference, but it isn't that great. The older version is a bit deeper and richer, and the civet is more pronounced. The newer version is slightly lighter with less noticeable civet, with the patchouly being more pronounced. From what I have read, the differences are small, and some people may not even be able to detect them. I cannot comment on any differences in longevity.

Perhaps someone who has actual experience with the two will chime in.

noggs

Dependent

Yes, it does look like a vintage Gentleman tester, as perfaddict pointed out.

I had previously owned both old and new.The vintage is more brute, and far more substantial, albeit a little rough and untamed. The current is a much cleaned up and presentable version, with far less oomph.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Like matt alluded, the newer version is less animalic and has slightly more patchouli in the base. Scent-wise, the new version reasonably replicates the original, but the whole "feel" is a bit thinner.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

This seems to be one of the main characteristics of most recent reformulations. I'm not sure that a necessary change of ingredients due to unavailability or restrictions or economics is the sole cause, though. I suspect that manufacturers are intentionally lightening the older fragrances in an attempt to make them more appealing to today's buying public.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    ...but the whole "feel" is a bit thinner.

Thanks for confirming what I had hoped - that this is indeed the vintage version. I have since purchased this bottle for the princely sum of €12 and anxiously await delivery to see if it lives up to expectations. I guess there's always an element of risk in buying an old second hand bottle in that it may not have been stored properly, but I have high (and optimistic) hopes!

I have the bottle below which I believe is of a similar age and has the 'wrap around' label which denotes the older formulation:

It is much deeper (and dirtier!) than the current formulation which smells to me like a cleaned-up version of the older formulation. It has a great patchouli note which is intense and smells almost slightly menthol. It is quite powerful and lasts ages. I can always smell it on my clothes the next day.

The new version is smoother, has less Civet and smells less complex than the old. It is still excellent though and is one of the few fragrances which is different enough to warrant owning two versions!

I own, wear and love both versions. The vintage stuff was a powerhouse of a patchouli scent, where the new one is more discreet and gentlemanly. I actually find the new version more versatile, and more wearable in hot weather. Both are great.

I am so disappointed with the reformulation. I give myself 6 sprays (even on clothes) then within an hour nobody can smell it on me. I bought directly from givenchy.com so I know it is legit.

This is such a great scent but I don't see any reason to wear this if it fades so quickly. Also MADE IN FRANCE which blew me away.

Have the same bottle as 3 posts above in 100ml full. After hearing what you have recounted, glad to know mine is the one that best represents the true scent in its glory.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have the same bottle as 3 posts above in 100ml full. After hearing what you have recounted, glad to know mine is the one that best represents the true scent in its glory.
    You are extremely lucky. This is one of those fragrances that should be left to die and wither away. I have yet to meet a fragrance aficionado who "appreciates" a weak scent. There is NO reason to make this a light scent...NONE.

This reformulation is a tease...."A dancehall floozy that walks away after you buy her a drink."

I love the reformulation. I think I would really love the original, though, as the top notes are my favorite aspect of the scent and I am aware the vintage carries this on much longer.

I wish I could study this one, as I have both versions, but there is something in it that causes throat irritation. So now I have two 100 ml bottles that must be swapped off, even though I like the smell (at least as much as I can get before irritation occurs) !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I wish I could study this one, as I have both versions, but there is something in it that causes throat irritation. So now I have two 100 ml bottles that must be swapped off, even though I like the smell (at least as much as I can get before irritation occurs) !
    Is this an isolated case for you?